IGNORED

My 600 Pound Life

Mela99

He is the only one to die during filming. There was another guy who passed away from an unrelated medical issue about a year later. It was sad. There was another guy who had severe complications but i think hes doing better now (Donald).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched the latest episode. It's really sad that the man died, his fiancee was distraught and will probably be left wondering if she could have done more (no she couldn't have but it won't stop her wondering).

One thing I've noticed in later series is that a lot more of the patients are not only bigger but also addicted to painkillers. I googled Dilaudid and it seems like the sort of thing that would only be given out in a hospital (it's called hydromorphone here). I know that addiction is a complex thing to tackle but I do kinda wonder why people are being given strong opiates so easily. Maybe it's just something that's not given out so much here in Haggis Country. I'm a massive klutz and have had several nasty injuries but the strongest thing I've ever been given is codeine.

1 hour ago, unsafetydancer said:

but I do kinda wonder why people are being given strong opiates so easily.

We have what is being called an "opioid epidemic" Here's a place to start (wikipedia). Some governments are looking into suing the manufacturers to pay for treatment and facility upgrades. Many addicts turn to heroin as well.  

When I broke my leg a couple months back the doctor prescribed me Vicodin despite me telling her I was ok with just ibuprofen. Yeah, my leg hurt but I could deal with it. I've been given Vicodin after all my surgeries but I rarely took it.

I was dependent on Darvocet, which I believe is also an opioid, and I think stronger than Vicodin, for a good year or two. They took that off the market and replaced my prescription with Tramadol. Not sure if that's an opioid or not. But basically doctors here will prescribe pretty strong stuff! I'm going to read that Wikipedia post as it sounds really interesting.

Also I told the pharmacy I would not be picking up the Vicodin. I'm still doing just fine with just ibuprofen.

4 hours ago, unsafetydancer said:

One thing I've noticed in later series is that a lot more of the patients are not only bigger but also addicted to painkillers. I googled Dilaudid and it seems like the sort of thing that would only be given out in a hospital (it's called hydromorphone here). I know that addiction is a complex thing to tackle but I do kinda wonder why people are being given strong opiates so easily. 

I think Dr. Now actually did a good job explaining what goes on.  These people are in a great deal of pain.  Clearly physical pain from the condition of their bodies, but also from the emotional pain that lead to such self-abuse in the first place.  Most doctors don't know how - or have the time - to deal with such serious problems with difficult patients so they just try to stop the pain and quiet the patient with powerful painkillers.  

I don't always watch the show but I find it one of the most "real" reality shows out there.  I know the voice over stuff is scripted, but you can't fake the rest of what goes on.

Sometimes I watch the show. I happened to watch Robert's episode last night. My heart broke for him and his loved ones.

• 3 weeks later...

The local paper just did a story where I live about a guy who went from over 600 pounds down to 350 pounds by working out, exercising, and having surgery.  (Of course they paywall the crap out of everything but here's the link for the story).

On 3/1/2018 at 6:26 PM, PumaLover said:

When I broke my leg a couple months back the doctor prescribed me Vicodin despite me telling her I was ok with just ibuprofen. Yeah, my leg hurt but I could deal with it. I've been given Vicodin after all my surgeries but I rarely took it.

I was dependent on Darvocet, which I believe is also an opioid, and I think stronger than Vicodin, for a good year or two. They took that off the market and replaced my prescription with Tramadol. Not sure if that's an opioid or not. But basically doctors here will prescribe pretty strong stuff! I'm going to read that Wikipedia post as it sounds really interesting.

Also I told the pharmacy I would not be picking up the Vicodin. I'm still doing just fine with just ibuprofen.

Last summer when I had my surgery the Doctor prescribed me a bottle of liquid hydrocodone to have at home when I was released.  If I remember correctly right after surgery they gave me morphine because my pain was at an 8 or 9.  (Yeah it was needed then).  Then it was on to Tramadol but the doctor didn't like what it was doing to my blood pressure and heart rate so he had me switched over to hydrocodone.

Once I got home from the hospital I found I didn't really need any pain medicine at all.  I had some pain but it wasn't enough to make me want to take anything at that point.  By the end of that first Friday the pain was pretty much gone.  I kept the bottle a couple more weeks then dumped it.  I was glad my insurance deductible had been used up by then because otherwise it would have been about $85 for that bottle.  

• 1 month later...

THE WORST! Holy shit I was dying laughing during her phone convo with dr now though. 

Did anyone watch the follow up episode with Melissa?

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Schenee, she started a GoFundMe for 50k to help "tell the true story". . . . https://www.gofundme.com/join-the-fight-for-team-schenee :roll:

I can't believe anybody gave her a penny. 

My name is Schenee Murry and I am on a journey to lose weight and follow my dreams. My husband and I made a difficult decision to move from my hometown of Indianapolis, Indiana to Houston, Texas to seek help from a surgeon that treats bariatric patients. My story was featured on a cable network documentary. Due to heavy editing of that show, my TRUE story was NOT told.

I would like the opportunity for my true story to be told so that the misconceptions about me can be addressed. There were several inaccuracies that were shown that put me and my husband in a bad light. There was only a passing acknowledgment of my health issues, my relationship with my family and my emotional issues. 

I am asking for donations so that I can seek the help that I need and spread my TRUE story. This can only be done with your help by you contributing to our "fight for Schenee" campaign. REMEMBER that in the eye's of our Lord, there is NO perfect human and only with your generous help I can reach my goals of a healthy lifestyle and someday children with my husband. "Team Schenee" needs your help.

... How much 'heavy editing' makes you gain 47 pounds in a month?

16 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Speaking of Schenee, she started a GoFundMe for 50k to help "tell the true story". . . . https://www.gofundme.com/join-the-fight-for-team-schenee :roll:

I just don't understand how anyone can eat so much that they gain almost 50lbs in a month. If I eat an extra piece of chicken I'm nauseous for hours. 47lbs is more than an extra pizza pie or a breakfast sandwich. Just thinking about it makes me want to throw up. 

17 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Ok, if you'd like to "tell the true story"  go ahead and write away! You dont need 50k for that.

5 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Ok, if you'd like to "tell the true story"  go ahead and write away! You dont need 50k for that.

Yeah, I saw that episode and she was a piece of work, her husband too. Dr. Now has the patience of a saint. Preaching to him about his  beliefs! What nerve! I's an obvious grift that God probably told her to go for, in her mind. One of the most unsympathetic folks ever on the program.

Like she can't just make a vlog and post it on Youtube? So far she has over 200 bucks. SMH!

If she wants to "tell her story" from her perspective, she can just get a blog. Or use her phone and ramble on a video for a bit. Facebook live, youtube, vimeo, blogspot, WP, allllll free. 

I do wonder if she might have sold her story to TLC and thus is legal prohibited from doing her own videos. 

Supposedly Nichole Lewis can't share progress pics (that probably don't exist as she hasn't lost any more weight) because of TLC and the upcoming "where are they now." 

31 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Supposedly Nichole Lewis can't share progress pics (that probably don't exist as she hasn't lost any more weight) because of TLC and the upcoming "where are they now." 

One of the people (I totally forget his name but he was the one who was addicted to pain killers) has a very disturbing facebook page that posts pics.  I guess everyone can be different.

I feel like the show jumped the shark last year.  The people are not easy to cheer for and the way its edited it looks like the producers want us to hate them.  

Episodes involving patients' children irate me to no end. Not a popular opinion, but I would remove those children immediately. They end up not only suffering from obesity themselves thanks to shitty "parenting", but also play the role of caregivers, when they should be focusing on, shit, i don't know, schooling? growing up? dreaming?

13 minutes ago, seattlechic said:

Episodes involving patients' children irate me to no end. Not a popular opinion, but I would remove those children immediately. They end up not only suffering from obesity themselves thanks to shitty "parenting", but also play the role of caregivers, when they should be focusing on, shit, i don't know, schooling? growing up? dreaming?

YES! I'm not even sure how a lot of those families don't have CPS on their asses. A lot of what I saw (obviously with the editing) is just child abuse. 

14 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

YES! I'm not even sure how a lot of those families don't have CPS on their asses. A lot of what I saw (obviously with the editing) is just child abuse. 

I'm 100% with you. Now, if I only got around to paying for cable to watch tlc LOL. Otherwise I watch what I can get on the youtubes. 

1 hour ago, seattlechic said:

It's shocking to me that it's legal for parents to pull their (often very young) children from school so they can serve as their caretakers all day. 

And these people aren't even attempting a facade of "homeschooling." They openly state the kid isn't receiving an education because they need to serve as a full-time medical attendant for the parent. 

It's obvious the parent is in a physical (and often mental) state where he or she can no longer be an adequate parent. These situations need to be addressed more frequently.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone watch last night? I think James and Lisa have to take the cake for the worst. I feel so bad for their daughter. I think Lisa has at least 3 or 4 other kids too. 

19 minutes ago, MsSaylor said:

Did anyone watch last night? I think James and Lisa have to take the cake for the worst. I feel so bad for their daughter. I think Lisa has at least 3 or 4 other kids too. 

James seemed very slow-witted (and did he say they'd been together 25 years?  He looked about 30) which may be why Dr. Now hated Lisa so much.  She's absolutely hideous - smirking when she was caught bringing food worth 30,000 calories a day into the hospital.  I'm all for personal accountability but she was actively sabotaging any chance James had for her own personal reasons.  That's sick. 

Very sick! I didnt realize she was quite like that before in their first episode I just thought he was mean so she gave in to him. James was in his early 20s when they got together. She was in her 40s married with older children. They were neighbors and she used to cry to him about her abusive husband. They had an affair resulting in 2 children while she was still married (one was Bayley the other wasnt shown). Eventually she left her marriage for him. I agree though his mental facilities definitely seemed lacking. Like he seemed legitimately confused about what was going on. Im surprised actually that APS didnt find anything worth following up on. He was in a deplorable condition.          

Archived