IGNORED

James Dobson wants people to shoot trans women in the bathroom

I was thinking about this on Saturday as I waited in line to use the restroom. We'd just played an outdoor concert to  commemorate the US entry into WWI. It was freezing and blowing a gale, and all the women needed to go. So I wondered how I would react if a transgender woman came in. As long as she didn't try to cut in line, I'd be cool. And, honestly, I probably wouldn't even notice.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Let's flip the script. What if a transman went into the men's bathroom? Should wives shoot transmen?

I'm sorry, did you just attempt to flip the script in a situation involving gender roles? Gender roles cannot be flipped. Gender roles are immovable. Gender roles rule all. 

/sarcasm

5 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

We are far more worried about discovering at the last minute that there is no toilet paper in the gigantic 3-roll cassette.

YEP. Male and female, this is usually the top concern while sitting on the toilet. Discovering that there is no TP during or after your routine (rather than before, when you can switch stalls).

South Korea has a combination of squat and throne-style toilets.  In the public areas closer to where the World Cup games were held, there would normally be the Western style of toilet.  Most other places had both, and in the more rural areas, squat toilets were the norm.  My apartment had a Western-style toilet, but I really grew quite fond of the squat toilets.  They are supposed to be better for you with regards to getting everything out of the body.  They're designed to make you have a wide stance, but the squatting is good for stretching and again, for getting everything that should be out, out. I traveled around a fair amount, but never encountered any truly disgusting toilet situation, nor did I create one.  There is depth to the squat toilet, and that must have taken care of any splash issues. The only odd thing was that most South Koreans carry their own toilet paper with them, so being prepared was always necessary.  

The TP situation was also true at work, where we had Western toilets.  There was a roll in the teachers' room that we would individually take with us to the bathroom, which was shared with all the other businesses on the floor (including a hair salon, pork restaurant, dentist, acupuncturist, and IDK what else).  I quickly adapted to that (because who wants to be stranded anywhere without TP when it's needed), but that aspect was always peculiar to me.  However, I was there almost 15 years ago, so things could very well have changed since then. 

Ok when I go to a public restroom the only thing I worry about is there eb an empty stall with tp. I don't worry about who is in there.

This has been very interesting as I've never encountered a squat toilet (my mom did when she went to Japan though), however on two trips to Africa the bush toilet was a frequent thing. When you are out on a 3-5 hour game drive over *very* bumpy terrain, any chance to "mark your territory" becomes a big relief, even if it was just behind your safari vehicle that had only guys in it. Namibia (the need was rare so it was a gradual introduction LOL) and South Africa (including once in the dark on a game drive with lions known to be in that general area but not really close...at least to our knowledge) almost two years ago and Kenya two months ago. So @Palimpsest, if the squat toilets still exist in the Nairobi airport, I didn't see them. Would have been cool if I had. 

15 hours ago, Penny said:

Ok when I go to a public restroom the only thing I worry about is there eb an empty stall with tp. I don't worry about who is in there.

I would add a reasonably clean stall and a working toilet(I've been in public restrooms lacking some or all of the above).

@Rowan,  I have to say that your avatar is quite apropos for a post where you are talking about visiting subSaharan Africa.

8 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Rowan,  I have to say that your avatar is quite apropos for a post where you are talking about visiting subSaharan Africa.

Cheetahs are the main reason I went! :-) First to see the Cheetah Conservation Fund (bucket list item) and then to see wild cheetahs in the Mara. Still haven't seen a wild cheetah running, so we have to go back. Oh, darn. lol

And more on topic, just bought a house. Over time, I would like to replace the toilets to the dual-flush water saving ones. My husband isn't convinced, because apparently most of them with that feature have "shallow bowls." That's actually a major concern of his, apparently. The things you learn....

On 4/10/2017 at 10:16 PM, Rowan said:

This has been very interesting as I've never encountered a squat toilet (my mom did when she went to Japan though), however on two trips to Africa the bush toilet was a frequent thing. When you are out on a 3-5 hour game drive over *very* bumpy terrain, any chance to "mark your territory" becomes a big relief, even if it was just behind your safari vehicle that had only guys in it. Namibia (the need was rare so it was a gradual introduction LOL) and South Africa (including once in the dark on a game drive with lions known to be in that general area but not really close...at least to our knowledge) almost two years ago and Kenya two months ago. So @Palimpsest, if the squat toilets still exist in the Nairobi airport, I didn't see them. Would have been cool if I had. 

I seen squat style crappers at a couple places in Turkey.  But not in the hotels we stayed at, those all had western style crappers. 

I remember my first trip to Rome and encountering their idea of bathrooms at the Fumicinio  Those were nasty.  Last time I was there in 2014 they had  done some remodelling and the new bathrooms were much, much nicer. 

There are squat toilets in Taiwan, even in the hotel and fancy office buildings. There were regular western stalls too, both in most of the bathrooms. 

There used to be squat toilets in my country! I think. I remember them from my early childhood, but haven't run into one for at least 15 years. Weird. 

ETA: I googled. Apparently, squat toilets were sometimes used for public buildings, especially bus stations, in Soviet Union times. After restoration of independence we switched to western style toilets. 
Good to know. 

"Doctor" Dobson would probably freak if he had to use one of those "non American" crappers.  As would most of the reich wing.

Archived