IGNORED

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath 2

DaisyD

I watched - it was excellent. Hopefully more people follow this mothers lead.

I am surprised when people who are scientologists admit to watching "Going Clear" and "Aftermath" while they are still scientologists. I would have thought that their thought processes were such that they wouldn't even leave the tv on that channel - it does give me hope.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

Here is my recap- warning it contains spoilers and possible TRIGGERS

Spoiler

Mike Rinder and Leah Remini interviewed 4 people from earlier. They asked how things changed. All were surprised at the outpouring of support. The 4 people were: Mary Kahn, Marc & Claire Headley & Aaron Smith-Levin.

Remember the Headley’s were the couple that were forced to have abortions and sued the church. They lost the lawsuit but have heard some things have changed at the sea org, such as the woman don’t have to have abortions. Also CO$ was willing to waive the $45,000 in fees if they agreed to give up the book rights, never talk bad against CO$, etc. The Headley’s said “no” and then a friend of theirs helped them raise the money for the fees so they would be back to zero.

CO$ pitted Kahn’s son (Sammy) against his mom and made a video of Sammy saying that that his mom didn’t support him and she disconnected from her. Also CO$ told Sammy about Mary’s first baby that she gave up at 20 years old to be adopted by her ex-husband and his new wife. And of course twisted it around to something sinister. Also CO$ contacted her niece (who has never been in CO$) and tried to make a video of the niece about Mary. The niece turned them all down and told them to leave but CO$ still made a video, of course with all lies.

Aaron Smith-Levin is the guy that lives in Clearwater across from his in-laws. His wife didn’t do the show, in hopes that the parents wouldn’t disconnect by her not appearing on the show. Well the parents had to sell both properties after the show was aired. Also, remember they had a dog that played with a CO$ dog next door. The CO$ member that played with the Smith-Levin dog had to disconnect from the DOG! That person had to erect a 6’ privacy fence so the Smith-Levin dog couldn’t look at the CO$ dog. This dog is the first dog to be called a SP (suppressive person)! Also he stated that his in-laws were in a hard spot because they have a couple other adult kids and grandchildren in CO$. I found this tweet from August on Aaron’s twitter.

aaron.png.43d3760934832fcb632206e5cecc870a.png

Marc Headly did some looking around on the internet and found 88 domains registered to Leah, 10 registered to Marc and 10 for Claire. 7 for Aaron Smith-Levin and Mike Rinder has 25. The shocking number was 522. The number of hate websites registered for Ron Miscavige Sr!

Marc goes on to explain that STAND League is a scientology operated group that “fights” against religious hatred and bigotry but in reality they are the hate group and they have many “profiles” (taken from Shutterstock photos) that tweet and post on f/b the exact same message 24/7.

Then the last ½ of the episode was with Chantal Dodson and her mom (Ramina) who left after watching Chantal’s episode on 10/31/2017. Chantal & Sherry were Leah’s BFFs growing up in CO$. Sherry is the one that asked Leah to help her brother and Leah disconnected from Sherri. Ramina’s husband has also left! Chantal’s sister told Ramina that they needed to watch the episode so they weren’t shocked. Ramina didn’t realize that her friend (Adriana Castle aka Ace Lewis) didn’t believe her daughter (Serafin; Sherry Ollins’ half-sister) when she reported being molested. Ramina’s testimony and apology and plea for all parents that are in scientology was tear inducing. Including Leah (who walked off for a minute) and Mike. - remember mike hasn't seen his kids in over 13 1/2 years! I am sure he is happy this family is reunited but I bet he wishes one day his will be reunited. In fact, he said his only reason to do the show is to reunite families.

Also a reminder from Tony Ortega's website: 5a04ac51391af_CO.JPG.688eab77ae4458ef0e3668df4d253586.JPG

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 6

Great youtube link by a commenter on a Tony Ortega post titled "What if Scientology actually made a TRUTHFUL infomercial?"

Funny and incredibly painful at the same time. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AuntKrazy said:

This week the topic in the series is L Ron Hubbard himself.  My husband specifically told me he wanted to watch it.

Interesting. TV Guide has this description

The Life & Lies of L. Ron Hubbard

A roundtable discussion examines the life of L. Ron Hubbard, founder of the Church of Scientology. Hana Whitfield, one of the first Sea Org members, and author Russell Miller join Leah and Mike for the discussion.

2 more people I have never heard of and I am sure it will be infuriating and enlightening at the same time.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

@quiversR4hunting

My dad read Dianetics, and has some strange beliefs because of reading it; including a profound distrust of all things medicine.  He spent most of his life with undiagnosed bipolar disorder because of his distrust of psychiatry - which he found reinforcement for in Hubbard's writing..

When he nearly died from pneumonia about 3.5 years ago, he had to spend several months in the hospital in a burn unit (he had a severe allergic reaction to the antibiotic port they had inserted - where he ended up with 2nd degree or worse burns over about 70% of his body) - the care and medicine he received from doctors made him much more stable, even as he grows ever more senile, his moods are, for the first time in memory, well managed.  The doctor at the spoke to my mom about his erratic moods, and prescribed something for it.  Dad at the time just took what he was given because it "made him feel better,".  He believes his pills are for his heart and blood pressure (some of them are) but he feels better and is happier than I can remember him being.

I hate that he lost so many good years and memories because of it.  (both my brothers are estranged from him because of how erratic he was over the years, although my younger one has started trying again now that Dad is more stable).

And Dad wasn't even a Scientologist. . . just influenced by the crackpot theories.  

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

That's my grandmother. Any weird new faux treatment, she was all over it (hydrogen peroxide IV anyone?), but if a doctor prescribed it she wasn't interested. It wasn't until she spent a year in an alzheimer's ward, after what they eventually figured out was a psychotic break, that she started taking what she was prescribed. She thinks her anti-psychotics are heart meds too.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

The more I find out about LRH the more I believe he was some sort of a sociopath. Last nights episode was eye opening. Well even more eye opening than the others tbh. He cast his children and wives aside like yesterdays garbage. And shouldn't Diana Hubbard be the leader of Scientology? How did she even allow this to happen? She's just a regular member. I mean if your dad creates a religion, don't you have claim?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

All the episodes have been eye opening to me. I have never been approached by a cult but now understand why so many people join them. At different times in my life I may have been vulnerable to a well planned indoctrination attempt.

GIve  people the idea that they are an indispensable cog in an organization that does massive good around the world. Show them how to aspire to greater positions in the organization. Keep them in an echo chamber so they never have to listen to dissenting ideas. The idea that someone has all the answers is very appealing to many.

I hope I am too old and cynical now to either be approached or fall prey to cult tactics.

• Upvote 7

I've been trying to catch up and just binge watched the last 3 episodes On Demand.  Those were some really hard to watch episodes.  Excellent recap @quiversR4hunting.  Thanks.  The dog that was declared SP was much needed comic relief.

I'm really glad Ramina came forward.  I agree with Leah, this thing is snowballing now!

The L.Ron episode wasn't very surprising to me.  I've read Russell Miller's book and recommend it.  The man was a liar, a manipulator, had no conscience - a psychopath.

42 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

And shouldn't Diana Hubbard be the leader of Scientology? How did she even allow this to happen? She's just a regular member. I mean if your dad creates a religion, don't you have claim?

Well, would she want it?  While she is still in CO$, she was crushed by Miscavige anyway.  Miscavige pushed himself forward aggressively kicking everyone else out of his way.  He is as ruthless and conscienceless as L. Ron.

Quentin Hubbard was reputedly groomed to be L. Ron's successor but didn't want anything to do with it.  His death is still suspicious.

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Quentin Hubbard was reputedly groomed to be L. Ron's successor but didn't want anything to do with it.  His death is still suspicious.

They talked about Quentin on the show. No one commits suicide by carbon monoxide. It's a slow awful death. It's highly suspicious.

• Upvote 4

So this weeks episode. Wow. First I need to read Russell Miller's book.

I didn't realize that he had 3 wives and 7 children. All disposable as @OyToTheVey stated. I also find it very interesting that his son denounced and spoke out about all L. Ron's lies on TV in the 1980s and yet it was still granted church status and people still joined. WTH?!

Next week is a reddit Q&A :) Can't wait!

Edited by quiversR4hunting
fixing the tag
  • Upvote 6

Hubby and I watched the episode off the DVR last night.  Because I read here and have been reading Tony Ortega's site for a while, I was familiar with some of the details; but it was great to watch with Mr. Krazy, as he simply could not believe all the details.

And I need to read Russell Miller's book too.  I've also been wanting to read Ortega's book about Paulette Cooper.  Mr. Krazy also now wants to watch the Q&A session.  It's interesting to me, because he wonders about my fascination with this stuff, but he inevitably ends up falling down the rabbit hole with me!

And I loved the moment at the end of the episode where Mike and Leah got all choked up thanking Hana Whitfield for helping people leave.  

• Upvote 5

I have seen an ad for Scientology almost every morning between 6 and 7 on Comedy Central. I have so many questions. The first being, why Comedy Central? Also, do they think people won't look the shit they say up? The one that blows LRH's life way out of proportion should be considered false advertising. IJS

• Upvote 9

39 minutes ago, DaisyD said:

I have seen an ad for Scientology almost every morning between 6 and 7 on Comedy Central. I have so many questions. The first being, why Comedy Central? Also, do they think people won't look the shit they say up? The one that blows LRH's life way out of proportion should be considered false advertising. IJS

I'm not even sure how it's even legal to advertise a 'religion' based on a mans life when it's been proven over and over that the mans life was a lie. I know that the only way they'll get declassified is thru IRS, I just wish the IRS wasn't taking their sweet time. As you said, it's complete false advertising. It's not even  creative advertising that most companies use. It's just straight up lies.

• Upvote 9

For some perspective here are the 2 "ships" he commanded:

757px-Yp422_large.jpg

He commanded this dingy from July 28 to October 1 1942. Here's what happened. 

"Hubbard was relieved of his command on 1 October 1942, a few weeks after YP-422 underwent a 27-hour training exercise in August 1942. A dispatch sent by the Commandant of the Boston Navy Yard on 25 September 1942 described Hubbard as "not temperamentally fitted for independent command".[3] Ironically, Hubbard was then given command of the submarine chaser USS PC-815 which also resulted in him being officially reprimanded and relieved of command."

300px-Uss_pc-815_1.jpg

This is the second vessel he commanded. Just read the article. It's hilarious. If you struggle with any jargon, I'll be happy to clarify.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_PC-815

• Upvote 6

@DaisyD, thank you for the photos & article. Before I pause to read it, may I say, how typical of the military (and many corporations) to reward  someone who effs up at one task by entrusting with another, that carries even  more responsibility?

There’s part of the guy’s arrogance and hubris and cynical nature: he saw that people can act daft and get away with it. Ok, enuf tsk-tsk’ing, off to read!!!

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, DaisyD said:

This says to me - letter to Comedy Central asking why they take advertisements from Co$, and letter to show telling it that you will no longer watch unless they drop CO$ advertisements.   

• Upvote 4

In case anyone doesn't have time to read the article, he dropped 37 depth charges on phantom Japanese submarines claiming in his 18 page after action report that he sunk at least 1 and crippled another (I wouldn't be surprised if kids in $ci learn about the battle of Cape Lookout). Then he went south and shelled Mexico. 

The going blind from staring into the sun they mentioned on the show is icing on the cake.

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, DaisyD said:

In case anyone doesn't have time to read the article, he dropped 37 depth charges on phantom Japanese submarines claiming in his 18 page after action report that he sunk at least 1 and crippled another (I wouldn't be surprised if kids in $ci learn about the battle of Cape Lookout). Then he went south and shelled Mexico. 

The going blind from staring into the sun they mentioned on the show is icing on the cake.

So he just shot 37 rounds into nothing. 

I wonder what type of mental condition L. Ron had because after listening to one of his sons debunk L. Ron's grand escapades to this article about his "battles" in the pacific he seems to be a bit off. Delusions of grandeur comes to mind! Reminds me of the movie "Overboard" where the husband claims there is a mutiny. Over the course of the movie the husband acts like he is the rich guy and is in charge.

It's interesting he was in the Navy, that probably explains why he went out to the ships with the sea org early on.

• Upvote 4

On 11/20/2017 at 9:00 AM, DaisyD said:

I saw an advertisement for LRH last night as well. It was either on TLC or OWN.

• Upvote 3

On 11/1/2017 at 12:28 PM, DaisyD said:

OMFG y'all! I just saw a commercial for Scientology. They mention drug abuse, human trafficking, and criminality. Then give random numbers of people who have "regained self respect", "learned the truth about drugs", and other random, meaningless shit. It was on TNT. They should totally bring the volcano back.

The whole "Drug abuse" thing is something the CoS uses a lot to pull people in. Our  duty station had a "traveling human rights museum" come here for a few days. How that was allowed to be pushed on a military community, I will never understand.  I wouldn't ever say that the military has PTSD treatment down perfectly, but the CoS is probably not the alternative anyone needs.

• Upvote 3

I'm more than a little shocked that that was allowed. Was this in California? I would think all of the Florida bases would be wise to $ci.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

t's interesting he was in the Navy, that probably explains why he went out to the ships with the sea org early on.

His father was also in the navy and LRH was rather taken with it.  It is also possible that LRH's obsessive hatred of psychiatry was due to his being removed and deemed for unfit for command of two ships during WWII. 

He scarpered off on Apollo partly to avoid the UK laws and taxes.  He couldn't be arrested when he kept moving in international waters.

I think LRH was crazy like a fox.  A megalomaniac narcissistic compulsive liar who founded a "religion" for power and money

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

What Is a person with NPD to do when they are actually completely mediocre at best? Experience says they either start a cult, or run for president. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic