IGNORED

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath 2

DaisyD

On 7/24/2017 at 2:07 PM, quiversR4hunting said:

my husband watches it with me, sort of. He stays in the same room, usually with ear buds on but will take them out and watch parts. If he isn't interested at all in what I am watching he goes to a different room. It has sparked interesting conversations in our house too.

My 9 & 13 year olds have seen parts of this show and the duggars and the bates and I have told them why it is bad, etc. I want to try make sure they don't get suckerd in later in life.

My husband does the same thing, it makes for interesting disjointed convos not just about this show but others, like when I was watching Teen Mom 2 (guilty pleasure) last night and he was like "Wait, that girl (Kailyn) just married the other guy and had a baby, since when is she divorced and pregnant with a 3rd? How many kids do all these people have??" and for Scientology he thought I'd already seen the episode because some of them are quite similar.

Has anyone seen the documentary on Netflix, "My Scientology Movie"? It's very interesting, they have actors come in and pretend to be David Miscavige, Tom Cruise, others, and act out various moments like when several high-level Sea Org execs were kept in The Hole and Miscavige went on a reign of terror. Just like this show follows around Mike Rinder, the documentary follows around Marty Rathbun who I haven't seen on Remini's show at all and actually heard recently that he has gone back to defending Scientology!

Also Scientology is so terrifying that I'm afraid when I read books, watch movies/shows, or post here on it that someone out there is watching and listening and ready to smear me!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, freethemall said:

Marty Rathbun who I haven't seen on Remini's show at all and actually heard recently that he has gone back to defending Scientology!

Yeah, lawsuits flying around.  Monique Rathbun suddenly and inexplicably dumped her lawyers and dropped her harassment lawsuit against Co$ just when it became obvious that she was going to win.  Marty is now making nice with the church.  These discarded lawyers have filed suit.   If  the church "bought out" the Rathbun's in exchange for dropping the suit, Monique's ex-lawyers are entitled to a  share of that amount. Blood is in the air. 

• Upvote 8

46 minutes ago, Howl said:

Yeah, lawsuits flying around.  Monique Rathbun suddenly and inexplicably dumped her lawyers and dropped her harassment lawsuit against Co$ just when it became obvious that she was going to win.  Marty is now making nice with the church.  These discarded lawyers have filed suit.   If  the church "bought out" the Rathbun's in exchange for dropping the suit, Monique's ex-lawyers are entitled to a  share of that amount. Blood is in the air. 

Yeah, I was wondering wtf really happened here. Oh Marty, Marty... you goin' back to dah hole????

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, freethemall said:

Has anyone seen the documentary on Netflix, "My Scientology Movie"? It's very interesting, they have actors come in and pretend to be David Miscavige, Tom Cruise, others, and act out various moments like when several high-level Sea Org execs were kept in The Hole and Miscavige went on a reign of terror. Just like this show follows around Mike Rinder, the documentary follows around Marty Rathbun who I haven't seen on Remini's show at all and actually heard recently that he has gone back to defending Scientology!

Yeah, I watched that a few months ago. Rathbun was an asshole. I have wondered if the actor who played DM has felt the wrath of Sci since then...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

Wtf makes anyone join this shit. I'm shocked she's not dead 

I honestly think that she was sucked in. I think a lot of the celebrities who joined got sucked for whatever reason. 

• Upvote 1

Leah Remini herself was pretty much born into $cientology.  Her mother was sucked in.

As far as other celebrities go, L. Ron Hubbard policy deliberately targeted celebrities and that still goes on today.  Although more and more of them are escaping and speaking out, thank goodness.

• Upvote 6

Leah's mom joined $ci when Leah was 13. She liked it because part of the doctrine gives children complete autonomy from their parents. After the man her mother joined with left them, her mother moved them to Clearwater and she was basically raised by $cientology. 

• Upvote 5

I was pretty shocked to hear about Elisabeth Moss being in Scientology, especially given the roles that she plays. She seems so aware of the world. She was raised in it as well, i guess I'm just surprised she hasn't left yet...

• Upvote 3

I had DVD'd the episode about children in Scientology, got a little bit into it (two women interviewed about being sexually abused as children, and after the commercial a reality show about some type of addiction intervention started.  No idea what happened to the rest of Leah's show.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Howl said:

I had DVD'd the episode about children in Scientology, got a little bit into it (two women interviewed about being sexually abused as children, and after the commercial a reality show about some type of addiction intervention started.  No idea what happened to the rest of Leah's show.  

Hopefully you can watch it on the internet. It was really good in a madding way. 

All these stories about the Sea Org parents just letting CO$ raise their children is heartbreaking. Of course a child molester would volunteer to be head of a children's area. One of the ladies likened the children's sea org to Lord of the Flies. (I had to read the summary on Wiki since I have never read the book) And then when the girls reported the abuse the adults (their moms and other "teachers") told them they had the sin, they had to confess to their issue, etc. (Sound like our fundies, doesn't it. especially Jim Bob & Michelle talking about Josh and the daughter victims)

spoiler for the end of the show

Spoiler

Apparently statute of limitation has not ended for these 2 ladies and they spoke with LAPD detectives about the abuse. No idea what is happening but I bet TMZ will break the news if a suit is filed.

When Rinder & Leah were in the vehicle having their "debriefing" talk, it sounds like they might be trying to help fund the lawsuits and give support to all victims to keep their cases going forward in the courts. Then again, I might be reading too much into their conversation.

• Upvote 6

I was so pissed to hear about the sex abuse was handled. It doesnot surprise me though.

I am so glad Leah is doing this and I don't see her stopping until things change. The people coming on the show are so brave! 

• Upvote 9

On 8/9/2017 at 8:09 PM, scoutsadie said:

Yeah, I watched that a few months ago. Rathbun was an asshole. I have wondered if the actor who played DM has felt the wrath of Sci since then...

Rathbun is kind of a shit. He reminds me of the Willie Jessop of Scientology - talking out of both sides of his mouth and no real moral authority. 

• Upvote 6

I've started watching the episodes from Season 1. I'm 7 episodes in.... wow. That's all I can say... wow. This "religion" is f'ed up. 

• Upvote 8

I was finally able to watch Thetans in Young Bodies.  It really did break my heart. Is anyone else thinking that Scientology is a haven for pedophiles and other abusers?  I'm wondering if the scale of the abuse would be similar to the  Catholic/fundamentalist/Evangelical churches. 

But how would that work with being audited?  Would one just lie his/her way through that?  If one confessed while being audited, that is always something the Church could use as a form of blackmail.  

Is there an "out" in Co$, similar to "The Devil/Satan made me do it" in some fundamentalist circles, repent, rinse, repeat? Based on one woman's story about her Dad, that seems to be the case. 

• Upvote 2

Many people end up making up crimes just to get out of the auditing room. They keep at you until you confess to something. That's why they always have something to tell the neighbors/employers/internet when someone blows. They don't give a shit about those crimes unless you try to leave. Then the story becomes "They were kicked out of the church for x, y, and z."

• Upvote 3

I really hope they do a show focusing on how they treat elderly and infirm Sci members. It sounds like they are treated pretty horrifically.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Inky said:

I really hope they do a show focusing on how they treat elderly and infirm Sci members. It sounds like they are treated pretty horrifically.

I fear you're right.  People are only useful if they have $$ to give to Co$ or can make $$ for Co$.  It's a fairly straightforward equation. 

• Upvote 3

On 8/13/2017 at 2:08 PM, DaisyD said:

Leah's mom joined $ci when Leah was 13. She liked it because part of the doctrine gives children complete autonomy from their parents. After the man her mother joined with left them, her mother moved them to Clearwater and she was basically raised by $cientology. 

The fact that Leah Remini was raised in Scientology makes her story particularly interesting. It seems like her education ended once her mother entered Scientology and she was in the Sea Org as a child for a while. When the Sea Org thing didn't pan out, I think she was put into acting because it was another field where she could be immensed in Scientology. It must be jarring to realize as an adult to realize that everything you thought you knew since you were thirteen was wrong. 

I saw the episode about sexual abuse, and I know I shouldn't be surprised at abuse fails, but I was. The idea that a seven year old shouldn't object to a passionate kiss from a random adult because said child is technically a billion year old spirit is a doctrine that enables abuse. This is why I don't understand the appeal to Scientology, because it seems to greatly devalue human relationships, whereas most high demand religious grounds tell you that you'll be guaranteed to have a happy family and a supportive community if you join. Maybe it's the promise of superpowers.

• Upvote 6

Looks like the Sea Org have been busy.

IMG_5010.thumb.PNG.4935a52bf1c22741b12bbdd491fd0d7a.PNG

IMG_5006.thumb.PNG.05eb9c70f91c94716b3a4fb44e6e4729.PNG

This is from Freedom Mag. I posted screenshots instead of a link because on a FB page I was on they were pulling down the links within minutes of being posted. 

• Upvote 3

On 8/13/2017 at 9:59 AM, Palimpsest said:

Leah Remini herself was pretty much born into $cientology.  Her mother was sucked in.

As far as other celebrities go, L. Ron Hubbard policy deliberately targeted celebrities and that still goes on today.  Although more and more of them are escaping and speaking out, thank goodness.

On 8/13/2017 at 7:37 AM, Jana814 said:

I honestly think that she was sucked in. I think a lot of the celebrities who joined got sucked for whatever reason. 

I'm not so sure that celebrities are sucked in as much as targeted. And once they cross the threshold, they are treated totally different than any "average" person. They are given the red carpet treatment and there are lots of benefits (Celebrity Center anyone?) 

I won't give any celebrity a pass though. Unlike the average Jane or Joe, who has their internet access restricted and has no time to go out into the world (because they're too busy training, auditing, paying, paying, paying) celebrities have the freedom to go anywhere and read anything. They choose not to. They HAVE to know there are two sides to the story and are unwilling to hear any opposing viewpoint. 

As  soon as I hear a celebrity is a scientologist, I immediately feel like their personal "stock" or "integrity" goes way down in my mind.

• Upvote 11

I think what Leah and Mike are doing is incredibly brave. Especially Mike considering how high up the ladder he was. The stories get more and more heart wrenching. 

• Upvote 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic