IGNORED

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath 2

DaisyD

22 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

@PennySycamore it's on for another 16 minutes in my time zone (EST).

It's really good. The first hour Leah and Mike interview 3 people that have written books or articles. Last guy is from Australia. What Australia has done makes me love Australia even more!

2nd hour is interviewing a man that left but not before he did horrible stuff in operation freak out. A professor with the largest collection of CO$ material and the last guy is an attorney that has won cases against CO$

I liked what they did with season 2 previews before the comercials.

• Upvote 3

Powerful start to Season 2. I think this will be effective in keeping at least some people away from Scientology. 

• Upvote 4

Wow, I was worried that the show would run out of good material. This was shocking. Looks like the season will have lots to show. These people are terrifying.I thought it interesting that Leah kept throwing jabs at Ron Miscaviage. The Operation Freakout guy seemed genuinely remorseful for what he had done. That's tough to have to live with. It might be easier for some to stay and kid themselves they are doing good than having to face what you had done.

• Upvote 6

One very important aspect of this show is that it shows the rawest of raw pain created by the cult from two sides: those whose families were destroyed and put asunder and those who were co-opted into living a life without a moral compass and lacking in compassion for their fellow humans.  As I quoted one of the people (Aaron Smith-Levin?) last season: "There is no unconditional love in Scientology."

• Upvote 5

Very short recap of the panel from Monday’s show.

1st hour had 3 journalists:

Janet Reitman, author of Inside Scientology and wrote an article for Rolling Stone. Mike Rinder was the person trying to get Janet to stop writing and gives insight as to what he and his department tried to do. Rinder and company went to her editor and basically said Janet should be fired. CO$ complaints boiled down to Janet doing her job. Janet was aghast that CO$ thought that would actually work to get her fired! Janet was great on the episode.

Bryan Seymour, Australian tv journalist he had an article ready to go with victims but they couldn’t publish it so instead a parliament member read it all on the floor of parliament to circumvent CO$ from quashing the information.

Mark Ebner is from Spy Magazine and many other projects. He actually joined CO$ to get a taste for the inside. His article is here http://www.hollywoodinterrupted.com/2006/03/23/ebner-undercover-scientology-spy-magazine-1996/ that they talk about in the episode. Since he knew that CO$ goes after everyone and everything, he outed his own skeletons in the article so CO$ didn’t have any ammo.   (He also consulted on the “Trapped in the Closet” episode of South Park.)

The 2nd hour had 3 other guests:

Ford Greene sued the church and he became fresh meat for CO$ to try and discredit, etc.

Stephen Kent is from U of Alberta he has one of the largest collections of CO$ stuff. He is a sociologist professor. He received a grant many moons ago to research different religious organizations, he won the grant and has been focused on CO$ ever since.

Len Zinberg was the former member that had a part in the operation against Paulette Cooper. He was very remorseful. I wish he would forgive himself (Leah told him he needs to forgive himself.)

Tony Ortega has a better recap of each speaker and almost 2000 comments about the episode. I actually got the names from his website because I couldn't remember the names at all. http://tonyortega.org/2017/05/29/shes-back-leah-remini-builds-a-case-for-scientology-aggression-in-tonights-ae-special/ 

This is a great resource for the upcoming episodes: http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/30/scientology-and-aftermath-leah-remini-previews-season-2/ 

Edited by quiversR4hunting
Giving Tony's website credit
  • Upvote 7

Good recap, @quiversR4hunting! I watched the show last night (DVR). It was such a smart move on Leah and Mike's part to focus on LRH's own written policies to illustrate how terrible this org is, and then back it up with first-hand accounts of the policies in action.

The previews for the second season were intense. Trigger warning - looks like there will be some focus on a number of sexual abuse cases. I don't recall if I read it awhile back on the Underground Bunker or if Leah said something at the end of season one, but I think Danny Masterson's behavior is discussed in particular. I think Leah successfully encouraged the LAPD to investigate him.

Edited by scoutsadie
Edited for riffles
  • Upvote 6

I only read here sporadically but thought this was interesting. At BookCon today in NYC, there was a huge section selling L Ron Hubbards books & offering "stress readings" and shoulder messages. It looked like one woman was holding onto something that was attached to a meter of some kind. I even took a photo and muttered "Scientology" as I walked by.

• Upvote 2

Anyone know when the next episode will air? I didn't see it on a&e website but I'm on mobile and maybe not looking in the right place. 

I'm really sad that this isn't on where I am. It's still on a and e, right? My dvr isn't recording it and it's not on the website. 

5 hours ago, DaisyD said:

It doesn't look to have been announced yet.

Bummer! I was hoping I missed the times on their website.

3 minutes ago, EmiGirl said:

I'm really sad that this isn't on where I am. It's still on a and e, right? My dvr isn't recording it and it's not on the website. 

Yes, still on A&E. If you have cable you can log into A&E and see the episode

• 1 month later...

RE:  Season 2 There is a promo up focusing on child abuse and rape: police get involved and just says "later this summer".

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, AuntKrazy said:

@quiversR4hunting  It was announced yesterday that season two will begin airing an August 19th - 9PM ET/PT.

I don't think that is soon enough! ;)

• Upvote 4

On 7/22/2017 at 8:39 AM, quiversR4hunting said:

I don't think that is soon enough! ;)

Seriously!   Even Mr. Krazy is hooked and thinks it needs to be sooner.  He was hoping to binge watch some of it before his semester starts - (he is a college prof.)

He was a little miffed over the weekend that we can't set the DVR for it yet (so we don't miss any of it at all), and made sure to tell me not to delete any episodes unless/until he has seen them too.

I would also say that the 1st season sparked a lot of really good conversation in our home; not just about Scientology as a cult, but also about our own experiences with religion and it impacting family.  

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, AuntKrazy said:

Seriously!   Even Mr. Krazy is hooked and thinks it needs to be sooner.  He was hoping to binge watch some of it before his semester starts - (he is a college prof.)

He was a little miffed over the weekend that we can't set the DVR for it yet (so we don't miss any of it at all), and made sure to tell me not to delete any episodes unless/until he has seen them too.

I would also say that the 1st season sparked a lot of really good conversation in our home; not just about Scientology as a cult, but also about our own experiences with religion and it impacting family.  

my husband watches it with me, sort of. He stays in the same room, usually with ear buds on but will take them out and watch parts. If he isn't interested at all in what I am watching he goes to a different room. It has sparked interesting conversations in our house too.

My 9 & 13 year olds have seen parts of this show and the duggars and the bates and I have told them why it is bad, etc. I want to try make sure they don't get suckerd in later in life.

• Upvote 2

Just visited Tony Ortega's web site after a long absence. 

There are some people who left Scientology, were mercilessly harassed, were clearly winning a lawsuit against Scientology over said harassment, and then (WHAT THE HELL) suddenly dropped the lawsuit without explanation and have seemingly recanted.  Oh, that would be Marty and Monique Rathbun.  The Rathbun's now ex lawyers are trying to sort out what was going on; according to the 2nd article referenced,  
"if some kind of agreement involving compensation had been reached, Monique’s former attorneys would be entitled to a percentage." 

Spoiler

The Rathbuns hire a lawyer, and Ray Jeffrey answers questions about his legal salvo

We spoke to Ray Jeffrey yesterday about the petition he filed on July 5 along with Elliott Cappuccio and Marc Wiegand, asking the Bexar County District Court to order that their former clients, Mark “Marty” Rathbun and Monique Rathbun, sit for depositions and turn over financial records.

In January 2016, Monique fired the three lawyers “without cause” and then dropped her 2013 harassment lawsuit against the Church of Scientology. Since that time her husband Marty (who had also personally been represented by Jeffrey, Cappuccio, and Wiegand) has used his website to attack many of his former friends and supporters and has defended the church in a bewildering turnaround. According to the petition Jeffrey filed, he and his colleagues want to question the Rathbuns to investigate possible legal claims, suspecting that the Rathbuns may have entered some kind of secret agreement with the church.

[click on the link in the title for full text]

For more context: 

RAY JEFFREY TO JUDGE: ORDER RATHBUNS TO TURN OVER FINANCIAL RECORDS AND TESTIFY

Spoiler

In June [2016], Rathbun began putting out a series of videos attacking other former friends who had criticized David Miscavige, including Mike Rinder, Tom DeVocht, Amy Scobee, John Brousseau, and also Paul Haggis and Leah Remini.

So much craziness. 

Tony Ortega blogs about Co$ at the Underground Bunker: tonyortega.org

The Co$ has obviously been at work manipulating google search results, and if you are looking for the Underground Bunker, you'll be taken to sites that look like the Underground Bunker, are called Underground Bunker, but are clearly Co$ sites trashing Ortega. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6

This is going to be very interesting to watch it play out between the Rathbuns and Ray Jeffery. 

My gut says he got some sort of payment or future consideration. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2017 at 2:45 PM, quiversR4hunting said:

Very short recap of the panel from Monday’s show.

1st hour had 3 journalists:

Janet Reitman, author of Inside Scientology and wrote an article for Rolling Stone. Mike Rinder was the person trying to get Janet to stop writing and gives insight as to what he and his department tried to do. Rinder and company went to her editor and basically said Janet should be fired. CO$ complaints boiled down to Janet doing her job. Janet was aghast that CO$ thought that would actually work to get her fired! Janet was great on the episode.

Bryan Seymour, Australian tv journalist he had an article ready to go with victims but they couldn’t publish it so instead a parliament member read it all on the floor of parliament to circumvent CO$ from quashing the information.

Mark Ebner is from Spy Magazine and many other projects. He actually joined CO$ to get a taste for the inside. His article is here http://www.hollywoodinterrupted.com/2006/03/23/ebner-undercover-scientology-spy-magazine-1996/ that they talk about in the episode. Since he knew that CO$ goes after everyone and everything, he outed his own skeletons in the article so CO$ didn’t have any ammo.   (He also consulted on the “Trapped in the Closet” episode of South Park.)

The 2nd hour had 3 other guests:

Ford Greene sued the church and he became fresh meat for CO$ to try and discredit, etc.

Stephen Kent is from U of Alberta he has one of the largest collections of CO$ stuff. He is a sociologist professor. He received a grant many moons ago to research different religious organizations, he won the grant and has been focused on CO$ ever since.

Len Zinberg was the former member that had a part in the operation against Paulette Cooper. He was very remorseful. I wish he would forgive himself (Leah told him he needs to forgive himself.)

Tony Ortega has a better recap of each speaker and almost 2000 comments about the episode. I actually got the names from his website because I couldn't remember the names at all. http://tonyortega.org/2017/05/29/shes-back-leah-remini-builds-a-case-for-scientology-aggression-in-tonights-ae-special/ 

This is a great resource for the upcoming episodes: http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/30/scientology-and-aftermath-leah-remini-previews-season-2/ 

This is tonight's episode! What the hell???? My sgow preview shoed it as a new show. Uggghhhhh I guess I'll head to bed. :/

• Upvote 2

I've noticed quite a few old episodes of various shows marked as "new" on my DVR recently - I think networks are more frequently repackaging old content with pop-up facts and additional "never seen before" clips and calling the episodes "new." Kind of annoying. 

Leah's new season begins on August 15. She just did an interview on The Colbert Show about it. The Underground Bunker blog posted a transcript yesterday.

Edited by scoutsadie
Added missing word and more info
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, scoutsadie said:

Leah's new season begins on August 15. She just did an interview on The Colbert Show about it. The Underground Bunker blog posted a transcript yesterday.

That is what I thought, which was why I was excited to see "New" on my listing last night. :(

Any way, which transcript did the underground bunker post? The episode that aired last night with the journalists or the new episode that comes out next week?

• Upvote 2

They've been doing that with Deadliest Catch for a while now. It's really irritating. I've got way too much on my dvr to have to go through and try to figure out what's actually a rerun.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Any way, which transcript did the underground bunker post?

The interview with Colbert.  Here you go.

http://tonyortega.org/2017/08/08/stephen-colbert-do-you-believe-scientology-is-a-religion-at-all-leah-remini-no/#more-41708

• Upvote 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic