IGNORED

Seewalds 20 - Fashionably Modest and Baby Curls

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Paragraphs. They're your friend. 

It's a good think I didn't claim being a English major then isn't it?

Just now, Fluffy14 said:

It's a good think I didn't claim being a English major then isn't it?

English major or not, it's nearly impossible to communicate effectively when you don't adhere to standard writing styles. Paragraphs help convey your point to the reader. 

Not to be rude but I started your post and then sort of skimmed over it because it was difficult to read without any breaks. If you want to convey your message to the most people, it's best practice to try and adhere to the style of the board. At FJ, that's standard English. No one here is perfect or typo free, of course. 

^^^ Walls 'o text are virtually impossible to read from start to finish. 

I didn't complain because I *was* an English major :5624798180220_Jigglejiggledance:, I complained because the post was virtually impossible to read in this platform. It lessens the impact of your thesis when it's impossible to find. 

Also Canada is far from the idealized, no Christian nutjobs society. We are more secular than the US. However, Good Friday I still passed by a pro-life march. People have had to be banned from standing outside of Planned Parenthood. We are doing better and having a Prime Minister who is more accepting, is helping but we have a need for improvement.

31 minutes ago, marmalade said:

^^^ Walls 'o text are virtually impossible to read from start to finish. 

I didn't complain because I *was* an English major :5624798180220_Jigglejiggledance:, I complained because the post was virtually impossible to read in this platform. It lessens the impact of your thesis when it's impossible to find. 

There must be something wrong with me. I could care less how long the content is. Paragraph or no paragraph. LOL

15 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Also Canada is far from the idealized, no Christian nutjobs society. We are more secular than the US. However, Good Friday I still passed by a pro-life march. People have had to be banned from standing outside of Planned Parenthood. We are doing better and having a Prime Minister who is more accepting, is helping but we have a need for improvement.

Where are you. At the most I have ever seen two people silently holding placards. Even downtown Victoria wasn't much better. 

I hate to sound picky, but it's 'couldn't care less'. 'Could care less' means exactly what it sounds like - that you could actually care less than you do now.

I live in a mid-sized city in Ontario and I've seen large pro-life protests, mostly across from a church and outside of a hospital.

51 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

English major or not, it's nearly impossible to communicate effectively when you don't adhere to standard writing styles. Paragraphs help convey your point to the reader. 

Not to be rude but I started your post and then sort of skimmed over it because it was difficult to read without any breaks. If you want to convey your message to the most people, it's best practice to try and adhere to the style of the board. At FJ, that's standard English. No one here is perfect or typo free, of course. 

Good to know for next time. I seriously didn't know it was a big deal for people to read stuff based on grammar and sentence structure. I am kind of shocked that these are the only comments people have. I shouldn't be though if people can't be bothered to read in spite of. I have seen errors galore on here. I have seen long rants with no proper grammar and the like and never seen a response like this. Kinda shocked.  But whatever, If you can't get over those apparently huge errors to read a post then whatever. 

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I hate to sound picky, but it's 'couldn't care less'. 'Could care less' means exactly what it sounds like - that you could actually care less than you do now.

I live in a mid-sized city in Ontario and I've seen large pro-life protests, mostly across from a church and outside of a hospital.

Gee I didn't know we were such a persnickety bunch. You guys got my panties all tied up in a knot.

Im not trying to pile on, I actually agreed with some of your points, but the overall tone was judgy and rubbed me the wrong way. I dont think it was entirely accurate. America is so hugely diverse. It sounded like you think that America is brimming with people like the Duggars and its not. The Duggars beliefs and lifestyle are very fringe. I agree though that more people than I am certainly comfortable with conflate what they claim as religious beliefs with political beliefs. I think thats what you were getting at. 

You were painting with too broad a brush and coming to conclusions that seemed off and exaggerated to me. 

1 hour ago, Fluffy14 said:

There must be something wrong with me. I could care less how long the content is. Paragraph or no paragraph. LOL

Where are you. At the most I have ever seen two people silently holding placards. Even downtown Victoria wasn't much better. 

Atlantic Canada. My aunt lives in BC and she has said that she has seen protests outside of her Catholic Church. Plus there continues to be families who have a large amount of children and agree with every doctrine. 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Atlantic Canada. My aunt lives in BC and she has said that she has seen protests outside of her Catholic Church. Plus there continues to be families who have a large amount of children and agree with every doctrine. 

I am not disputing Canadians do, but the overwhelming tone and amount in the states is what I am getting at.

Have we ever confirmed what church the Seewalds attend? Sierra posted an IG earlier today exhorting people to go to her church (3 back to back services!). It wasn't the Caldwells' church, and we know that Jessa has been doing bible study with Sierra for a while (not to mention last week's "girls' - with two "Duggar" spouses - trip). 

eta: There might be something to my suspicion. The church post has disappeared. It had both name and address of the church (somewhere in Springdale). 

1 hour ago, MsSaylor said:

Im not trying to pile on, I actually agreed with some of your points, but the overall tone was judgy and rubbed me the wrong way. I dont think it was entirely accurate. America is so hugely diverse. It sounded like you think that America is brimming with people like the Duggars and its not. The Duggars beliefs and lifestyle are very fringe. I agree though that more people than I am certainly comfortable with conflate what they claim as religious beliefs with political beliefs. I think thats what you were getting at. 

You were painting with too broad a brush and coming to conclusions that seemed off and exaggerated to me. 

I have a few American friends with family in Florida and Portland Oregon, they have both lived in Canada since the eighties. One is a fundie. One was raised Catholic but converted to Vineyard type. My other friend had a long time BF who was born and raised in a teeny town, in Illinois, who has again lived here since the eighties. He grew up in the thick of fundamentalism. They all say the same thing , that America is what I said.

My other friend, went down  with her BF  for a week long Christian music fest in Illinois  and she was filled with utter shock at the differences the two countries have in their politics and fundamental Christian beliefs. So with those people involved in Christianity on both sides of the border, my own experiences living two miles from the border and reading extensively on on the subject is how I came to my conclusions. 

So I may have painted with a broad stoke, but am again gleaning off my American friends own experiences.

i also want to note the Duggars brand is one segment but the Gothard teaching has spread even to regular Southern Baptist teaching to some extent. And I know this because I went to a southern baptist church in a western city whose both pastors came from Marietta , Georgia as a missionary church plant.....Because we had no Southern Baptists here.  Oh dear!

I do appreciate the conversation, thanks.

Fortunately, no one is forced to visit or live in the US. I am a natural born citizen and I have loved it my whole life. 

I feel very lucky. Very. It is the best.

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I love the bowties! :P 

Very cute.  Henry looks JUST like cousin Izzy, therefore a clone of JB.

How can something be both adorable AND look like him?? Idk either, folks.

The Duggar genes are super strong with the grandkids. 

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Fortunately, no one is forced to visit or live in the US. I am a natural born citizen and I have loved it my whole life. 

I feel very lucky. Very. It is the best.

It's good to love your own country, I can't imagine how horrible it would be to hate where you were born.

8 hours ago, Fluffy14 said:

I wasn't talking about churches accepting gay marriage, I was talking on a political platform. If you read my statement you would have understood I said most(if not all) churches core beliefs , believe homosexuality is a sin. Let the churches hash that out. Not the political arena. That is where I differentiated between nations. There was some hoopla over the Anglican Church and still is on a church by church basis. But when it generally comes to politics they don't intermix .  And our religious climate here is not like the states, in the political arena.  Furthermore I was stating my own beliefs of acceptance and a few of the people I know around me. I firmly don't believe the church should  be running around telling the non Christian world all their personal sins and putting them up on a platform telling them they are all going to hell when we all have our own crap and sin to deal with. I am ashamed to be a Christian when the  church or individuals  pick on that one sin and make a huge hoopla over it, when sitting in the pews are gossips, maligners, crooks and sexual abusers, and domestic abusers  it is hypocritical.

<snip snip>

But our religious system is not pushing a religious dogma in the political arena, and that is where their is a huge difference when comparing Christianity between the two nations.  Again, the Duggar standard of belief is or has started to seep into Canadian churches. I was a part of the homeschool movement in  Alberta, the same AHEA group that ousted the Duggars. That particular conference was in my town I lived in. I attended those conferences. There was only one family in my immediate group like the Duggars.  I had heard of a few more in Calgary, but it was not like the climate in the states, and that was my point we have few Duggar like fundamentals in Canada but it is growing. If you compare the mainstream conservative church in Canada to the USA conservatives they would think we were all liberals. Of course generally speaking.

Goddamnit.  I had a lengthy response written and wanted to quote a bit more from another page, and lost it all. Fuck fuck fuck.

So here's the abbreviated revision, in several parts.  

First, let's move beyond the paragraphing to the content.  Check out other churches.  Many not only accept and love homosexual congregants, but they also accept and follow homosexual preachers/pastors. It certainly varies by church, leadership, and education, but "most (if not all)" is a vast overstatement. Generally speaking, churches prefer those in committed relationships, but that seems to be true for both straight and homosexual preachers/pastors (does anyone know about Bi/Trans/Queer+ preachers/pastors?).  That also seems to be an attempt to avoid scandal, TBH.  

Regarding the hypocrites in church, I absolutely agree.  No dispute with those comments, except that I'm not convinced that homosexuality is a sin which then leads to hypocrisy.  But like Holden Caulfield, I see hypocrites all over the place, even in houses of worship. People are flawed.  All people, everywhere, myself included (cuz I'm not a bot).  Doesn't mean we're all headed to hell, IMO, YMMV.

On another note, don't mistake the Duggars for doctrine.  They are the shiny advertisement for a product concocted by another entity.  These folks are sheep, not the ones who are creative enough to initiate this evil empire.  

Regarding loving one's own country, it is tough.  I do love the United States; there are so many amazing aspects to it.  But we also fuck up tremendously and continuously, especially with the current Agent Orange in the White House.  These times are more than challenging.  But also, more American voters chose Hillary; it was a miscarriage of the electoral college that led to his unfortunate, abhorrent, abysmal, apocalyptic (maybe? I hope not) inauguration.  Americans are absolutely capable of horrible things, but the good often outweigh the bad.  

Then again, historically, we seem to move like a pendulum -- great strides one way, then the other.  Obama moved us forward, so now the country steps back with the new orange regime.  It's just far more complicated and frightening now that WWIII hangs in the balance between two over-privileged, under-educated, bombastic, narcissistic, selfish, fat princelings with very bad hair and an excessive love for pageantry.

I think my little thread drift here means it's time for me to log off :whitewine: Hope we're able to avoid a nuclear apocalypse.   

50 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Goddamnit.  I had a lengthy response written and wanted to quote a bit more from another page, and lost it all. Fuck fuck fuck.

So here's the abbreviated revision, in several parts.  

First, let's move beyond the paragraphing to the content.  Check out other churches.  Many not only accept and love homosexual congregants, but they also accept and follow homosexual preachers/pastors. It certainly varies by church, leadership, and education, but "most (if not all)" is a vast overstatement. Generally speaking, churches prefer those in committed relationships, but that seems to be true for both straight and homosexual preachers/pastors (does anyone know about Bi/Trans/Queer+ preachers/pastors?).  That also seems to be an attempt to avoid scandal, TBH.  

Regarding the hypocrites in church, I absolutely agree.  No dispute with those comments, except that I'm not convinced that homosexuality is a sin which then leads to hypocrisy.  But like Holden Caulfield, I see hypocrites all over the place, even in houses of worship. People are flawed.  All people, everywhere, myself included (cuz I'm not a bot).  Doesn't mean we're all headed to hell, IMO, YMMV.

On another note, don't mistake the Duggars for doctrine.  They are the shiny advertisement for a product concocted by another entity.  These folks are sheep, not the ones who are creative enough to initiate this evil empire.  

Regarding loving one's own country, it is tough.  I do love the United States; there are so many amazing aspects to it.  But we also fuck up tremendously and continuously, especially with the current Agent Orange in the White House.  These times are more than challenging.  But also, more American voters chose Hillary; it was a miscarriage of the electoral college that led to his unfortunate, abhorrent, abysmal, apocalyptic (maybe? I hope not) inauguration.  Americans are absolutely capable of horrible things, but the good often outweigh the bad.  

Then again, historically, we seem to move like a pendulum -- great strides one way, then the other.  Obama moved us forward, so now the country steps back with the new orange regime.  It's just far more complicated and frightening now that WWIII hangs in the balance between two over-privileged, under-educated, bombastic, narcissistic, selfish, fat princelings with very bad hair and an excessive love for pageantry.

I think my little thread drift here means it's time for me to log off :whitewine: Hope we're able to avoid a nuclear apocalypse.   

My main focus was the doctrine behind the Duggars. I grew up in my Mennonite church going to his week long conferences as a teen. The umbrella of authority was used against me and kept me in an abusive home. My interest in the doctrine behind the Duggars has been extensive because of it.

Gothards teaching has such deep theology entrenched in the evangelical church they don't even realize some of these beliefs didn't exist before him or that they come from him. Southern Baptists, independent baptist, non denominational churches and Mennonite, usually have some form of his teaching. 

The Duggars took his teaching and several others and assembled them all into their family. Some families in my area who homeschool have gravitated towards vision forum, but not Gothard so it is a mix.

i find the culture of religion fascinating and myself have swung to each end of the pendulum (not Duggar style, but watched my neighbors) and places in between. I have moved over 20x and met lots of people.

I appreciate all your feedback. And enjoy conversation with other points of view.

8 hours ago, marmalade said:

Have we ever confirmed what church the Seewalds attend? Sierra posted an IG earlier today exhorting people to go to her church (3 back to back services!). It wasn't the Caldwells' church, and we know that Jessa has been doing bible study with Sierra for a while (not to mention last week's "girls' - with two "Duggar" spouses - trip). 

eta: There might be something to my suspicion. The church post has disappeared. It had both name and address of the church (somewhere in Springdale). 

Either the church got mad at her for publicizing it heavily and in association with a scandalous family, or the church did something that she would find objectionable, or the church did something the general public would find objectionable.

56 minutes ago, purjolok84 said:

They're eerily alike - how unGothardlike!

Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about Gothard hating Cabbage Patch dolls! I didn't really know the story on that so I googled it. Can you imagine if Henry had been born to the mom in the story??? Everyone would pretend not to notice the resemblance...but everyone would be very uneasy around that baby...

cabbage2.jpg.5616b94631e5ca934e94224c6b56433f.jpg

ETA: But they all tell themselves that he'll look different once he gets a little older and isn't bald anymore. The mother is relieved when she first notices the baby is starting to grow some hair, until she takes a closer look and finds that it's.....yarn  :pb_eek::pb_evil::pb_surprised:

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived