IGNORED

Counting On: Season 3, Part 6: All Hail Rufus

Destiny

I think a kid doesn't necessarily need its biological parent but more of a steady reference person. Those were the lost girls sister moms. Now imagine your "mother" marries, moves out and has her own children. That must be pretty devastating, especially with the parents barely present. I'm sure they know its their older sister so it's logical they move out. But emotionally it is a hard take because the sisters ARE their moms. It must feel like being left behind.
That in my opinion explains a lot.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Smash! said:

I think a kid doesn't necessarily need its biological parent but more of a steady reference person. Those were the lost girls sister moms. Now imagine your "mother" marries, moves out and has her own children. That must be pretty devastating, especially with the parents barely present. I'm sure they know its their older sister so it's logical they move out. But emotionally it is a hard take because the sisters ARE their moms. It must feel like being left behind.
That in my opinion explains a lot.

I can understand that (bolded mine). I was raised primarily by my grandmother, who lived with us for all her life and was the effective head of the household.

My dad had its own business (and as you know, the owner of a small business is usually first in the shop, last out at night) and my mom, now retired, was a C-level executive who traveled a lot and was gone for several weeks/months at a time. While both my mom and dad were/are very present parents in our (my and my sibling's) lives, in different ways - which I am not going to elaborate on here now, too long of a story! - and we are very close to both mom and dad, it is an undeniable truth that my grandmother was THE parent figure that was always there, ever present, since I was born and up until she passed away 2.5 years ago. I still cry a lot when I think of her. I love and admire my parents for all they have done for us, the opportunities they have given us with their hard work, their support, and what they have taught us, but my "mom" will always be my grandmother. 

Love you grandma, wherever you are!

On 4/22/2017 at 8:48 PM, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I want this so bad, but after seeing the way Joy had her spunk beaten out of her, I fear Hannie is having the KoolAid forced down her throat as we speak...... 

I have no hope for Hannie. But I can see Jenni and Jordyn leaving the cult. They've never been paid much attention and don't seem to be all that happy. You have to watch the quiet ones in big families. They can be hiding a lot of pain or anxiety and no one knows it. 

I could be very wrong, but I don't see ANY of the Duggars leaving the cult until after marriage. It will likely be a situation where both halves of the couple reach an understanding that their marriage won't survive unless they leave, OR, one ends up in a marriage that is so deeply unhappy that leaving and being homeless and shunned by the entire family (and possibly even by their own kids) is the better choice to them.

1 hour ago, Smash! said:

I think a kid doesn't necessarily need its biological parent but more of a steady reference person. 

Totally agree, but I seriously doubt a (pre)teen girl has the emotional maturity to be that person. Let alone to 3 children. Especially on top of running the household for the parents 

On Sun Apr 23 2017 at 9:34 PM, Dandruff said:

- snip -

I don't think the TTH is a happy place.  Even their tutor (Tabitha) chose marriage to a rapist over sticking around there.

Damn.  I didn't even consider this before, but wow, this could be spot on.  Gives me shivers really (and not the good kind).

On Sun Apr 23 2017 at 3:06 PM, SassyPants said:

I must say this once every 3 months, NO ONE set of parents can adequately and safely provide and care for 19 children. Michelle is checked out. JB was never really checked in beyond the superficial, and the last half dozen kids are basically living in the Lord of The Flies. It's a free for all in Duggarville.

Sweet baby Jesus, I'm catching up on the thread and saw this, and now can't get it out if my mind.  It really is like the Lord of the Flies.  Like holy shit.  FJ and it's allegory is just on point ~ 

Have we already discussed Grandma's house being moved to the  Duggar main property?  I guess when Grandma passes away, a married Duggarling will get to move in and JB will finally get the family cult compound he's always dreamed of. And can anyone explain to me why the house foundations are so far off the ground? Why does a senior citizen need to have steep stairs going in and out of the house?

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/counting-on/videos/grandma-duggars-log-cabin

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Have we already discussed Grandma's house being moved to the  Duggar main property?  I guess when Grandma passes away, a married Duggarling will get to move in and JB will finally get the family cult compound he's always dreamed of. And can anyone explain to me why the house foundations are so far off the ground? Why does a senior citizen need to have steep stairs going in and out of the house?

Not sure if it is on just a slab, or if it has a basement, either way they will fill in around the masonry so the house has a sturdy foundation.  It won't be that high off the ground once the fill it in with dirt.   If they were in a flood plane I would said they are doing it for flooding, but they aren't but they are in tornado alley, so basements are a good thing when an EF3 is barreling toward your home. 

If it weren't Duggars, I would think it wonderful a son wanted to have his mother live on his property so he could help her out if necessary. But hey. It's Duggarlife. 

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Yikes! Poor Grandma Mary, she's can't escape them. :( 

She said she's looking forward to being close to the Duggars. JB wore the obnoxious Hope for the Hopeless t shirt

I think I'll predict that in three or four years, Grandma will have moved somewhere else and the log house will be occupied by one of the newly married Duggarlings.

6 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Wish I could see the video.  Is it a log house???

5904375c41608_loghouse.thumb.png.4ae4324de5a91674ae5fcbb8ec9de42d.png

I love the side porch. It looks bigger that Ben & Jessa's 2 bedroom place. I also agree that in a few years Grandma will move elsewhere (or back into her room in the main house if she starts having health problems), some Duggarling with over 2 children will get Grandma's log home, and a new couple will get Ben and Jessa's place.

Do we know where they moved it from? How far away.....it is wide by the bump out to the right and I wonder how it went. It would be a nice floor plan if new floors and paint and updating.

Who knows. They are Duggars after all. 

Here is a crazy idea, give Jana Grandma's old room since she isn't allowed to move out 

3 hours ago, frugalitymom said:

Here is a crazy idea, give Jana Grandma's old room since she isn't allowed to move out 

Who is going to watch the younger girls, then? :GPn0zNK:

The Duggars do live in Tornado Alley. Having a basement is a good thing. Having a storm shelter is even better. I'm surprised they don't have any on the residential properties.

Did anyone notice that the contractor said to the Duggar boys "It's about time you got here" or something like that, which makes me think they haven't improved on Duggar time

Yet again, the Duggars have a "Friend' with a useful talent.  Moving a house like that is not a common skill, so I just find it so odd that of course they have a friend, who helped them do this.

But,  aside from that bit of snark, in all honesty,  I think it was a pretty cool thing to do for Grandma Duggar.  She seemed happy with the idea, and as an aging parent, it may be nice for her to live near people who can help her out when needed.  She certainly has earned that help after all these years.  Now,  we know, though that Grandma Duggar's bedroom is not being used by her anymore, so I wonder if Josh/Anna are using it, or if JD is or Jana. 

The living arrangements of the kids is interesting to me.  Next door sits the big pool house where Jill and Derick were staying.  I assume it is now empty.  thought I imagine the plan is for them to use it when they return for Jill to have the baby.  Then there is Jessa in the tiny old ranch house.  It is a cute little house and an appropriate starter home for newly marrieds, but with two kids and more sooner rather than later, it seems odd to me that they aren't moving into something bigger. We still don't know where Josh and Anna are for sure, as it hasn't been confirmed that they moved into that run down Siloam springs house.  And JD has a house, but is he renting it out, or using it as an enticement for a nice fundie girl to court?

Maybe Jana will be granted a bit of freedom and she can live in the Log Home with Grandma Duggar.  She would get her own bedroom, and have some downtime from the big house. 

And one last thought,  it was good to see the Duggar men (except for JB, who just flapped his gums as usual), do some actual work.  Not sure how much they ended up doing, but it does seem as if they are getting some decent practical experience related to building, and maintenance.  Some of the brighter and more motivated ones in the group, may be able to parlay that into a decent career.  No doubt some really successful contractors and builders have started with less.  And with JB being plugged into the local real estate scene and his tendency to buy crap that needs a lot of work,  the boys  may actually be learning some decent skills.

My theory is that Josh and Anna are living in the pool house.

• Coconut Flan unpinned this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived