IGNORED

Counting On: Season 3, Part 6: All Hail Rufus

Destiny

What I don't understand about the Duggar fans, is how anyone, could look at those youngest kids in the family and think they are seeing happy children.  Hannie hasn't looked happy in the past few years,  Jenny never seems to be, and Jordyn, who used to a sweet and ready smile, now seems to sad and uncomfortable.  And josie, well, it is hard to tell, but she seems doesn't scream happy kid. 

And for as meticulous as the older girls are in having every hair in place, with perfect makeup,  the lack of attention to how the younger girls look is so odd.  They often look like they slept in their clothes, haven't seen a hair brush or comb or shower in days.  It is such a discrepancy from the starched khaki pants, with collared shirts for the boys and  freshly pressed prairie dresses from the girls.  Remember how neatly combed the girl's hair was back in the beginning specials?   

I really don't see how people don't see that these youngest girls look, at best, neglected, and at worse, depressed, checked out and not connected to their parents. 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/14/2017 at 4:35 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My bets now are on Jackson and Hannie to beat it the day after Hannie turns 18 Jenni and Jordyn following. 

I want this so bad, but after seeing the way Joy had her spunk beaten out of her, I fear Hannie is having the KoolAid forced down her throat as we speak...... 

10 hours ago, calimojo said:

What I don't understand about the Duggar fans, is how anyone, could look at those youngest kids in the family and think they are seeing happy children.  Hannie hasn't looked happy in the past few years,  Jenny never seems to be, and Jordyn, who used to a sweet and ready smile, now seems to sad and uncomfortable.  And josie, well, it is hard to tell, but she seems doesn't scream happy kid. 

And for as meticulous as the older girls are in having every hair in place, with perfect makeup,  the lack of attention to how the younger girls look is so odd.  They often look like they slept in their clothes, haven't seen a hair brush or comb or shower in days.  It is such a discrepancy from the starched khaki pants, with collared shirts for the boys and  freshly pressed prairie dresses from the girls.  Remember how neatly combed the girl's hair was back in the beginning specials?   

I really don't see how people don't see that these youngest girls look, at best, neglected, and at worse, depressed, checked out and not connected to their parents. 

My guess in regards to the "look" changing is that in the early specials Michelle was in charge. She liked the khakis and prairie dresses. As the older girls took over that area (which they talked about in one of the books), we got more scruffy looks. IMO, the older girls just don't have that attention to detail for the younger kids that Michelle had.

10 hours ago, calimojo said:

Maybe they don't want to really look. I mean all' they care is way they say/selling so a lot of people just watch the surface without question...

7 hours ago, meowfundiecatz said:

My guess in regards to the "look" changing is that in the early specials Michelle was in charge. She liked the khakis and prairie dresses. As the older girls took over that area (which they talked about in one of the books), we got more scruffy looks. IMO, the older girls just don't have that attention to detail for the younger kids that Michelle had.

I think it has more to do with filming. It was easy for Michelle and the older girls to press everything when it was only one day or a few days. As they began to film all the time, they cared less. 

7 hours ago, meowfundiecatz said:

It is more than that, it is more than the dirty faces and unkempt hair, Josie is practically feral, Jenny & Jordyn look vacant and so sad Hannie has learned to fake it for wedding photos but we see photos of them at home where they have blank looks in their eyes, that pathetic birthday video where Michelle is trying to think of something nice to say about Jordyn and Jordyn is standing there like a hostage screams that Michelle has little to nothing to do with those girls on a day to day basis. 

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

It is more than that, it is more than the dirty faces and unkempt hair, Josie is practically feral, Jenny & Jordyn look vacant and so sad Hannie has learned to fake it for wedding photos but we see photos of them at home where they have blank looks in their eyes, that pathetic birthday video where Michelle is trying to think of something nice to say about Jordyn and Jordyn is standing there like a hostage screams that Michelle has little to nothing to do with those girls on a day to day basis. 

I must say this once every 3 months, NO ONE set of parents can adequately and safely provide and care for 19 children. Michelle is checked out. JB was never really checked in beyond the superficial, and the last half dozen kids are basically living in the Lord of The Flies. It's a free for all in Duggarville.

5 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I think it has more to do with filming. It was easy for Michelle and the older girls to press everything when it was only one day or a few days. As they began to film all the time, they cared less. 

Makes sense.
I iron for job interviews.  I think I have ironed 3x in my life that was not for an interview, and it involved things like "going to be having dinner w/ muckity mucks"
I might iron for TV...although, I get the occasional TV appearance for a PR thing and I don't iron for those, because I apparently don't care that much 

47 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I must say this once every 3 months, NO ONE set of parents can adequately and safely provide and care for 19 children. Michelle is checked out. JB was never really checked in beyond the superficial, and the last half dozen kids are basically living in the Lord of The Flies. It's a free for all in Duggarville.

Yeah, I think Jana has tried to keep up care and keep of the girls but I think she's reached saturation point and figures if their own mother doesn't care why should she? Itis almost like  Jana & JD are saving kids from the Titanic and are getting ready to save themselves as the ship goes under.  Jessa married to save her family brand and by extension herself, Jill married because she was horny Jinger married to get out and I think Joy is doing the same thing. I think JD is teaching the boys a stronger worth ethic than he learned and how to do as many different things as possible to care for themselves, and Jana is just trying to marry off older sisters and get Hannie old enough to take over for Jenny Jordyn and Josie so she can get herself out.  I don't think either of them what a lot of ids they may not want any after spending 20 of their 27 years playing mother and father to their siblings. I won't be surprised to hear of Jana courting in the next year after Joy marries,  by the end of the year Josie will be 8 Jordyn 9 Jenny 10 and Hannie 12. So if she starts courting in 2018 by the time she marries the youngest child will be almost 9 years old. 

7 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

that is exactly the point I was trying to make.  You are right,  they have blank looks in their eyes and look lost and disconnected. 

And, even if I agreed with allowing siblings to be primary care takers for younger sibs,  I would still take Michelle and JB to task for not supervising what has happened here.  The younger half are aimless, undisciplined, ill-mannered, unkempt, poorly fed, poorly educated and so on.  JB and M were not ensuring the younger set were being well cared for.  It would appear as if some of the younger kids are at least well bonded with their sister mom, but that is not the same thing as being parented.  JB and M were too busy attending boatloads of conferences, trying for # 20, and selling their family, to pay attention to how ill equipped their older girls were at raising about 10 kids plus do likely all of the housework, supervise the homeschooling, pack and organize for all the family trips, etc.   

And of course all of this is done with a big giant secret swept under the rug, and a unhealthy dose of victim blaming.  Then add on the intense fundamental religiosity and in some ways I guess we should be impressed they function as well as they do. 

ugh  Jib bom (typo stays) and Michelle really are the worst

10 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

While I agree that being on TV made them change their style, it's not for the reasons you say. Once they were on news shows and being subjected to worldly people and stylists their fashion evolved and they had to look more commercial, it's why they suppress their religious views on the show. They modernized, as the Bates did, to appeal to a wider audience.

Keep in mind they do still film just a day or two at a time - reality shows are all scripted and they usually schedule several intense days with assigned activities and TH interviews. The whole big brother filming constantly until you find a good moment doesn't exist in most reality TV. 

3 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Keep in mind they do still film just a day or two at a time - reality shows are all scripted and they usually schedule several intense days with assigned activities and TH interviews. The whole big brother filming constantly until you find a good moment doesn't exist in most reality TV. 

Yes and no. They did only film the family for a day or two at a time but it was over a more consistent basis. In the specials, the children were only being filmed once or twice before the baby was born and then after it. It wasn't over a more extended period of time. Michelle is also more checked out now, she stopped parenting altogether now. Once Jana through Jinger were old to do everything, she stopped. Now it's firmly on Jana's shoulders and I'm just saying, if my mother couldn't be bothered to care what HER children looked like, why would I? 

There's only so much Jana can do, and probably a whole lot less that she wants to do.  Most of the buddies are gone so who's taking care of laundry, cooking, and homeschooling?  Michelle?  Those poor little girls, IMO, achieved their peak value to the family while Michelle was pregnant with them and maybe for a brief time after (reminds me of rapid car depreciation once driven off the lot).  There was excitement, media interviews, and episodes focused on them when they were fetuses and newborns.  Now "Counting On" is sputtering on, the new babies belong to the girls' former buddies, and what are they supposed to do prior to becoming helpmeets and mommies in a decade or so?

I don't think the TTH is a happy place.  Even their tutor (Tabitha) chose marriage to a rapist over sticking around there.

Poor Jordyn. Even her 'favourite episode' of 19KAC has to be all about Josie. 

And I hate the way they write 'future plans' as though they have any thought of allowing their kids (especially the girls) to escape the fundie shackles that have been placed upon them. 

58fd730ad668c_ScreenShot2017-04-24at11_28_14AM.png.172d64ae6d903ea56fc1ad3bcbe5e379.png

Favorite past time: playing with my siblings.

Future plans: artist.

That makes me sad for an 8 year old. Give her a couple of years and it will be wife and mother. :shakehead:

3 hours ago, Palindrome said:

58fd730ad668c_ScreenShot2017-04-24at11_28_14AM.png.172d64ae6d903ea56fc1ad3bcbe5e379.png

"Past-Time"? Do they mean pastime by any chance?  

Or should we take it literally and assume that playing with her siblings is a thing of the past now she has reached the ripe old age of 8 and needs to get down to some serious domestic duties?

8 hours ago, Palindrome said:

Poor Jordyn. Even her 'favourite episode' of 19KAC has to be all about Josie. 

And I hate the way they write 'future plans' as though they have any thought of allowing their kids (especially the girls) to escape the fundie shackles that have been placed upon them. 

Wow :( Poor Jordyn. Everything is about Josie. Although, they probably didn't ask her any of this. 

50 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

You know, I wouldn't be surprised to find a lot of the Lost GIrls have attachments disorders. 

I won't be surprised to find out the lost girls have a LOT of disorders.  Really the kids from  Joy on down seemed to get significantly less & less attention from DQ & Boob, she was the 1st kid to get a sister mom.  She was relatively ignored by those two until Jill & Jessa started courting and they tried to rein her into the women folk to pick up the slack those two were leaving. I also think this is why she is marrying so young, she went from a pretty carefree lifestyle being lost in the shuffle of too many kids to keep track of. She was suddenly put in charge of this large group of youngsters who were her buddies just last week now she's got to play mom and she doesn't want it.  With there now only being 2 adult girls at home they are paying more attention to her and making sure she toes that Duggar purity bull shit line. 

Part of me agrees with this thread. I don't think the "littluns" have much supervision and it's very Lord of the Flies as Sassypants mentioned. JB and Michelle are disconnected. Everything has gone the hell...

However...As to the state of their hair/clothes/dress- essentially they live on a farm-like place and SOTDRT has a LOT of recess.  I'm less worried. They play outside a lot. Since the TTH is not the setting for the family show anymore, why bother dressing up? The "pressed frumpers and tidy tucked in shirts" were part of the whole "Duggar brand is godly and perfect."  We know how that turned out. Maybe the young Duggs are dressing themselves and playing outdoors like normal kids do. 

Does Michelle do anything? At all? It always struck me as odd that she didn't even help pack for her children before a trip.

11 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Does Michelle do anything? At all? It always struck me as odd that she didn't even help pack for her children before a trip.

Don't be silly. That's why she has daughters! Jana, and um Joy and what's their names. ;) 

39 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Don't be silly. That's why she has daughters! Jana, and um Joy and what's their names. ;) 

I think it begins with J...Julie, Jacqueline, Janet...Oh, you know who you are.

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

She makes herself joyfully available at all times for sweet fellowship with Jim Boob. 

34 minutes ago, divadivine said:

She makes herself joyfully available at all times for sweet fellowship with Jim Boob. 

And, I just threw up in my mouth...

• Coconut Flan unpinned this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived