IGNORED

Counting On: Season 3, Part 6: All Hail Rufus

Destiny

8 hours ago, lizzybee said:

I'm Baptist and I think this is weird too. I'll even go so far as to call it spiritual abuse. Essentially what you've done is scare a child about hell/Satan until they feel like they have to do something about it. Those kids almost always have a second experience with salvation and baptism as well if they stay within the church.

When I was seven(ish) I had a cousin tell me to sign a piece of paper during Sunday school saying I believed in Jesus and I refused because it seemed important and I didn't understand. She told me I was going to hell and I was terrified of Satan pretty much the rest of my childhood. 

When I asked her, my grandmother told me that babies and children are already saved by Jesus and don't need to worry about it until they're older. I found that soothing while I was so distressed. 

Now, as a mother of a five month old, I am really leery about the idea of putting my kid in Sunday school for this reason. I don't like the idea of not knowing what they're telling him and teaching him. I don't care how overbearing it seems, I'd probably make it really clear, if I were to let him go, that I don't  want them trying to save him or scare him about crucifixion and death. It's more likely I won't let him go. Call me helicopter mom, I don't care. 

I was watching an Easter video on youtube put out by Priscilla and David Waller a while back that I thought was disturbing. Priscilla was describing how her mom would have them make resurrection cookies and her description seemed a little over much to be subjecting children to even hypothetically. "Whipping the batter was like how they whipped Jesus." Way to ruin cookie making there, mom. She starts on the story after she finishes mentioning how she was making Paul feel guilty about his sin around 1:40 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC9SWt9Kdm8&t=142s

These are some really weird videos of Priscilla yapping on and on. She can barely string two words together, and is not a great candidate for making an instructional video about anything. However, she CAN apparently give birth in her own home with next to no help and then just sit there on the couch that afternoon like it is any other day. She is brave and tough and stronger than I'll ever be...who knew???

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the cake for Mikey's first b-day was supposed to be a checkerboard, but failed miserably. I remember Sierra (then referred to as The Cake Doctor)  trying to freeze the cakes to re-assemble it, but that didn't work. She ostensibly then made a perfect rainbow cake (that was totally bought at a bakery). 

I vaguely remember an ark cake, but it wasn't this birthday. 

I can't believe it's been four years; Sierra was all of 23 then. Yikes. 

@Rio I think Priscilla might be the most fascinating of all to me, honestly. I just want to have a conversation with her, and we can talk about anything she wants, so I can quietly assess "Why are you like this?" There was a video of them in Australia where she was talking about the gum trees and briefly digresses about them smelling like essential oils. For a millisecond she sounded like a normal person. Then she goes right back to her high pitched whatever going on about God and koalas. Does she only talk like that when there's a camera in her face? I just...I need to know.   

On 5/11/2017 at 4:33 AM, mizandry said:

JinJer deciding to getting married and move away on the day of Jessa's firstborn's very first birthday baffles me... does anyone recall there being thread discussion on this? I may have missed or forgotten about it.

Yes, this can only be a guess because we just don't know. There are so many birthdays in this family that if you tried to avoid hitting on a birthday you might have a mere choice of a few dates within the year. Birthdays come around every year but a wedding, only once in a lifetime, especially for these people. When we got engaged in early April and chose a mid June wedding date, we really did not consider anyone but us. Sounds kinda crappy but just how many times in your life do you get to think of just the two of you?

12 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Mr One Kid is a lapsed Wiccan and I'm a Jew-ish Atheist so we are going to the pits of hell fire for sure.

There will be SOO many interesting people there...

On 5/12/2017 at 10:37 PM, sawasdee said:

Lapsed - VERY lapsed - Catholic here . I always understood baptism as my parents making sure that I was ok if I died young, but confirmation was when I accepted the faith I was born into - usually at between 10 and 14.

I understood confirmation as my confirming - ie agreeing with - my baptism. Isn't that what confirmation means?

Yeah. Confirmation is basically the reiteration or self-affirmation of the baptism that happened when you were a baby.

(I went to Catholic school, where we just did it all as a matter of course)

Remember the episode when the Duggars went to Dollywood and met Dolly?

One of the little boys,not sure which one,saw a hot tub in one of their rooms,or outside of it.

He said"Look!!It is like when you get baptized! LOL

It was kind of cute and funny.

On 5/12/2017 at 8:37 PM, sansan said:

Yes, this can only be a guess because we just don't know. There are so many birthdays in this family that if you tried to avoid hitting on a birthday you might have a mere choice of a few dates within the year. Birthdays come around every year but a wedding, only once in a lifetime, especially for these people. When we got engaged in early April and chose a mid June wedding date, we really did not consider anyone but us. Sounds kinda crappy but just how many times in your life do you get to think of just the two of you?

I also imagine that the timing of the wedding had to fit with filming schedules as well.  So it is possible that they had very little option as to the exact date.  I imagine they celebrated Spurgeon's birthday in some way.  We aren't sure exactly when Jinger and Jeremy left on the honeymoon.  It seems like Jill and Jessa hung out in Arkansas for a day or two before leaving.  Or they may have celebrated it a few days before.  With my youngest we were on a road trip over his birthday.  We celebrated when we got home.  He obviously had no idea it wasn't on his actual birthday and it was no big deal.

WIth my oldest we celebrated the weekend after her birthday because that was when family was able to drive in to help us celebrate.  Again, no big deal, no damage done and she was the bell of the ball all day long with family around the spoil her and attend to her every need and desire for 2 full days. 

I think if the wedding was scheduled on that day for any number of reasons, availability of the chapel, timing for filming, or availability of Jeremy's family, etc,  that at the end of the day, Jessa clearly knows that weddings are good for the brand, and what is good for the brand means more financial security for her and her growing family.  So I doubt she had much of a concern over that. 

@calimojoThe Dills may have stuck around a day or two before heading to North Carolina for about a week. They seem to have been back by July 1 or a bit earlier.

Benessa spent about ten days somewhere in Arkansas. This wasn't filmed, but their European honeymoon after that was. So they wound up having some time to themselves immediately after the wedding.

JinJer almost certainly stuck around until the Wednesday after their wedding (the 9th), partly because of the election. It's possible that they voted early or did an absentee ballot or something. But they did state in an interview that they'd be spending a few days alone together before heading to Australia and New Zealand. 

On 14.5.2017 at 6:12 PM, albanuadh_1 said:

That's what confirmation is in Protestant churches as well.

Fun fact: In Norway we also have a humanitarian confirmation. Confirmation has always been important here, especially when we had a state church, and it marked the transition from kid to adult (it was common to start working after you were confirmated). The humanitarian one is basically a course in ethics and human rights (and sex education!) and it ends with a ceremony at the city hall. I did this instead of a protestant confirmation when I was 15, because although I'm baptised I'm not religious so it felt wrong for me to chose the "normal" route.

On 5/12/2017 at 2:37 PM, sawasdee said:

Lapsed - VERY lapsed - Catholic here . I always understood baptism as my parents making sure that I was ok if I died young, but confirmation was when I accepted the faith I was born into - usually at between 10 and 14.

I understood confirmation as my confirming - ie agreeing with - my baptism. Isn't that what confirmation means?

Short answer -  Yes, you are confirming the vows made in your name.

My denomination will baptize infants or adults.  And it makes no difference, you are confirmed after.  The whole community takes part in your baptism, promising to guide and help you in your Christian formation.

Baptism used to be tied to Communion, but it is now generally believed that the Spirit of God working within is what leads people to church in the first place.

On 2017-05-13 at 3:06 AM, onekidanddone said:

Mr One Kid is a lapsed Wiccan and I'm a Jew-ish Atheist so we are going to the pits of hell fire for sure.

At least you get to go together. See you there!

:bananna-demon::bananna-demon:

On 2017-5-17 at 9:20 AM, Iamtheway said:

At least you get to go together. See you there!

:bananna-demon::bananna-demon:

Cool, I'll drive (I'm coming too!)

Interesting that the Duggar brand of Christianity depicts a heaven that no one here wants to go to. Well, I can't speak for everyone so if you're one of those who find their heaven palatable, I apologize.

• Coconut Flan unpinned this topic
On 5/12/2017 at 7:12 PM, lizzybee said:

I was watching an Easter video on youtube put out by Priscilla and David Waller a while back that I thought was disturbing. Priscilla was describing how her mom would have them make resurrection cookies and her description seemed a little over much to be subjecting children to even hypothetically. "Whipping the batter was like how they whipped Jesus." Way to ruin cookie making there, mom. She starts on the story after she finishes mentioning how she was making Paul feel guilty about his sin around 1:40 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC9SWt9Kdm8&t=142s

I can't get over her saying "He [Jesus] left planet heaven and came to planet Earth." What!? Is this a thing other people say too, or is Priscilla just on her own little planet? I have never heard the birth of Jesus described in terms of space travel before.

Priscilla is so damaged :56247953c05d2_32(6):

2 hours ago, jas said:

I can't get over her saying "He [Jesus] left planet heaven and came to planet Earth." What!? Is this a thing other people say too, or is Priscilla just on her own little planet? I have never heard the birth of Jesus described in terms of space travel before.

I had Great Aunt who spoke just like Priscilla;always loving Jesus on a kindergarten level. My clearest memory of her is of a Christmas when I was about 15 and she was in her 60s. There were maybe about 12 people total just chattering away in my grandmother's living room and I was sulking on the end of the couch annoyed with everyone for daring to exist in typical sulky teen fashion. Great Aunt Ruby comes over, sits super close to me, takes me by the hand, stares me in he eyes and squeals in that deranged Priscilla voice,"Leti do you know what today is? Today is Christmas. That means it is the sweet baby Jesus's birthday!" 

9 hours ago, jas said:

Jesus has a Jesus Planet in LDS scriptures! Definitely a heterodox concept for IFBs though.

• 3 months later...
  • choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived