IGNORED

Pecans in the Big Blue House - Priss & TFDW Part 5

choralcrusader8613

13 minutes ago, Ali said:

Some Christians believe that literally laying hands on someone and praying for them has significance. The woman had good motives, asked permission, and was showing support to a stressed out mom. I really don't think that incident is anything to snark about compared with David likely torturing Antonio. Yes, anyone can pray without someone knowing they are doing it. I would personally find it comforting to know someone cared enough about my child to pray for him in a situation like Karma described.

And I'm not saying people should always keep quiet about it. I'm saying that I don't really understand the asking permission part. Like I said, I can't imagine someone saying, "no don't pray for me." Now touching is a different story. You should always ask permission to touch a stranger. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And I'm not saying people should always keep quiet about it. I'm saying that I don't really understand the asking permission part. Like I said, I can't imagine someone saying, "no don't pray for me." Now touching is a different story. You should always ask permission to touch a stranger. 

Some people would say no to prayer.

I assume the woman verbally prayed for the son. I would like someone to ask permission before coming up to my child and verbally praying for him or her. Some parents might relax a little just knowing someone showing some compassion in a situation like this. Children can pick up on parents stress and this can make them act out even more. A mom relaxing some can lead to a child calming down.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I get when people say, "you are in my thoughts and prayers." I just don't understand the asking part. Are people going to say no? I highly doubt it. I may be agnostic but if someone says I am in their thoughts and prayers, I'm not going to say, "don't you dare!" It really doesn't affect me personally if someone is thinking and praying about me. 

If I don't know that someone is putting me in their prayers, then obviously it can't bother me, I agree about that.  But when I envision that scenario of someone praying for me, it makes me uncomfortable (obviously it's a case-by-case situation but so far in my life this has been true for me).  When I had my hysterectomy 6 years ago I ended up, purely logistically, in a Catholic hospital.  As I was being prepped, a chaplain of some sort came to me and asked if I would like them to pray for me.  Again the thought made me uncomfortable and so I declined.  My words and tone were polite but I worried that the mere act of saying no was seen as offensive, but on the other hand I was borderline offended to have been put in the uncomfortable position of having to deal with that question -- although I understood that most people wouldn't find it offensive, especially in a Catholic hospital, so I didn't dwell on it.  I just don't like being forced to announce my religiosity or lack thereof to others, especially with no notice.

It might have been meant as a nice gesture but it makes me uncomfortable. It still seems to be pushing a religious agenda. Might not be full on Pecan but it's on a line. 

If someone asked John Schroeder if they could pray for him he would probably require that they present their historically biblical credentials first

1 hour ago, church_of_dog said:

If I don't know that someone is putting me in their prayers, then obviously it can't bother me, I agree about that.  But when I envision that scenario of someone praying for me, it makes me uncomfortable (obviously it's a case-by-case situation but so far in my life this has been true for me).  When I had my hysterectomy 6 years ago I ended up, purely logistically, in a Catholic hospital.  As I was being prepped, a chaplain of some sort came to me and asked if I would like them to pray for me.  Again the thought made me uncomfortable and so I declined.  My words and tone were polite but I worried that the mere act of saying no was seen as offensive, but on the other hand I was borderline offended to have been put in the uncomfortable position of having to deal with that question -- although I understood that most people wouldn't find it offensive, especially in a Catholic hospital, so I didn't dwell on it.  I just don't like being forced to announce my religiosity or lack thereof to others, especially with no notice.

Exactly. So if they hadn't asked at all and just prayed for you without your knowledge, it would have been fine. Their asking you if they can pray for you put you on the spot ina difficult situation. And I don't like that.

39 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Exactly. So if they hadn't asked at all and just prayed for you without your knowledge, it would have been fine. Their asking you if they can pray for you put you on the spot ina difficult situation. And I don't like that.

I agree!  Because actually, I don't have a problem with someone praying for me if that's a thing that they do.  I have a problem with being asked to give my approval to someone for doing so.  I don't endorse it but don't want to be pushed into having to say so out loud.  If someone's private experience is that praying is a real thing that works for them to do, then do it, but don't ask me to agree to it or endorse it, nor ask me to announce my lack of endorsement out loud.

No offense to those for whom it's a real thing, but for me it would be exactly the same as if someone asked if they could make a wish on a genie's bottle for me -- I don't think it's a real thing, so I don't want to agree to it, but I also don't want to embarrass or offend anyone (or start a discussion about it, usually) by stating my lack of belief out loud.

ITA @church_of_dog, I would feel very uncomfortable, and would hate to feel that I had to explain that to random strangers. I get that it comes from a good intention, but that doesn't make it acceptable to me. 

On 12.4.2017 at 0:38 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

IMG_2101.JPG

I wonder how they would eat a candle salad....

Not sure I want to eat that . It looks diseased ...

On 4/12/2017 at 1:38 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

I think I'd have to start taking heavy drugs if I had to be seated imprisoned next to TFDW on a flight. Poor Antonio.

If I got stuck seated next to them I'd start praying loudly instead: 

"From Pecans and Prissies, and IBLP followers and things that will preach in the air, may the good Lord deliver us!"

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

If I got stuck seated next to them I'd start praying loudly instead: 

"From Pecans and Prissies, and IBLP followers and things that will preach in the air, may the good Lord  Rufus deliver us!"

fixed that for ya!

You mean flying isn't painful enough? I once had a drunk guy keep hitting me with his jacket, and once on a train, a guy sat next to me and started masturbating. He did keep it in his pants. Just to say, I'd take those things over sitting next to pecan any day.

I was sitting next to child  on flight back from Malta to Germany . The girl was telling me all about her holidays while her parents were sleeping in their seats behind us . Sadly I was lacking duct tape to tape her mouth shut . 

9 hours ago, cindyluvs24 said:

A few years ago, there were some incidents of Orthodox men seated next to women on planes and demanding that the woman move her seat.  It made the news because the flight attendant went along instead of telling the man to find a new seat.  I wonder how it would play out if TFDW were seated next to one of these guys?  

Unfortunately, I think that still happens. And now I'm imagining one of those guys moving to another seat (because I sure the fuck wouldn't - your imaginary friend's rules are not my problem) and him ending up next to TFDW, who wants to talk ALL about how Jesus came to fulfill the Law, etc.  An atheist's fantasy. (And the only way I could stand to listen to David proselytize someone.)

6 hours ago, StacyW said:

If someone asked John Schroeder if they could pray for him he would probably require that they present their historically biblical credentials first

Heh. I originally read that as "histrionically biblical credentials," but we're talking about Shrader here, so: still applies.

Sorry everyone, I'm in a different time zone, so was fast asleep when you were all discussing my plane praying.    After I said she could pray for him, the lady bent her head and put her hands in the prayer position, so it was obvious that's what she was doing, although if she hadn't asked I wouldn't have known she was praying for him.  I'm atheist, so as I said, I was taken aback, but I honestly wasn't offended.  How can I be offended by someone praying to something I don't believe in?  I was grateful that she showed support, because it had been hell for us and everyone around us, and if this was her way of doing showing support, then that was fine with me.  

I just found out that I am an asshole apparently. I DO say "no, thank you" if someone asks me if they can pray for me. Mostly because I always feel like they are going to grab my hand and pray right there and I'm not into that. I'm hella awkward about it and cannot stand funerals/memorials for this reason (among others).

I don't think that's being an asshole, @Kelsey.   There's no way I'd have held hands and prayed with her, I'd feel like a hypocrite.  But if she wanted to pray on her own that's fine with me.  Having sat for 14 hours in economy with a child like ours, I'm wasn't going to refuse her polite request.

No one has ever asked me if they could pray for me.  I would be uncomfortable with that as well.

I do pray for people all the time, but I don't remember asking anyone first. Unless I know that someone would be comforted to know what I'm doing, there's really no point in mentioning it. I'm okay with discussing my beliefs in a civil, non-confrontational way, but I'm not an evangelist.

I'd be awfully tempted to start praying in tongues if I were stuck next to TFDW on a flight, but that would probably just make him worse. :evil-laugh:

Off topic and Just Because I never met a rabbit hole I didn't go down - I am watching the wedding of TFDW and Priscilla on YouTube... Suzanna Keller's face while Gothard is speaking is now the joy of my life. Still praying she will write a tell-all...

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

I wonder why David is wearing a suit.

It's a relaxing get-away. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived