IGNORED

Pecans in the Big Blue House - Priss & TFDW Part 5

choralcrusader8613

The house I live in now was once painted Barbie Pink.  I was related by marriage to the previous owner so I got the story straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.  His first marriage broke up, leaving him to raise the kids alone.  He was especially close to his daughter, probably because she was in poor health all her life.  When she was a teen, he decided to paint the house.  His daughter jokingly told him he should paint it pink because it was her (current) favorite color.  Her dad had a sense of humor so he laughed and said that was a fine idea.  Still, everyone was shocked when he went to the paint store and came back with pink paint.  I guess the neighbors weren't happy, but all he'd say was his little girl suggested pink.  He was a good neighbor, the family was well-liked in the area, so everyone kind of went "Awww" and got used to it.

Eventually the kids grew up and moved out, but the dad never repainted the house.  I'm guessing it stayed pink for at least 15 years, and faded to the color of anemic Pepto Bismal.  One day the dad called up his daughter and told her he was getting married.  She was thrilled with the news, and even happier when she learned he was marrying a woman she'd known all her life.  He then told her that he knew his intended had never really liked the pink house, and he was thinking of repainting as kind of a bridal gift to her, but he didn't want his daughter to feel slighted.  

His daughter laughed and told him it was a fine idea and about time!  She and her husband sent them a check for $200 dollars to help buy paint, and included instructions that his fiance choose the new color "because Dad has the worst taste in paint."

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Karma said:

The island of Burano, near Venice, Italy, also has beautiful bright buildings.  We were told this was so that the fishermen could recognise their home when they were drunk.  Not sure whether that's the actual reason, but it's definitely a scenic place.

IMG_0784.PNG

I have that print in my room! I never knew exactly what it was though (except obviously Venice).

11 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Oookay. I'm not sure why she just didn't hold him in her lap or stick him in a bumbo or whatever those things are called. 

tumblr_onnr1fA9Gu1vb3sczo1_540.jpg

Kudos that they are playing and Pris is part of it.

Philip is such a squishy baby and he finally looks a bit happy. Looks like they're having fun. 

Sounds like the awkward pose was because Paul wanted to take a picture of his baby brother and mum was helping him get brother to be in the pose he wanted. 

Good on Priscilla (and extra kudos for her letting her daughter play cowboys).

these houses are in Inuvik, NWT.  a few years back, i found a blog by a guy who was working there for a radio station.  it seems like an interesting place.  (the blogger later moved to Yukon and i lost track of it.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuvik

inuvik.jpg

7 hours ago, ophelia said:

I have to admit that this picture just underlined my wish to life in the country some day. Not now or in the next 2-3 years, but I'd love to have a little cottage in the country and raise some chickens and do all that simple living stuff.

A little homesteading would also be my favorite part of living in the country. I'd love to have a garden, chickens, maybe raise some pork for meat. Unfortunately, it seems like most fundies we follow have lots of acreage but little to no homesteading skills. They're seen at Walmart all the time but never at local farmer's markets.

If I were a Christian, I guess I'd be more of a Mennonite at heart than a Fundamentalist Baptist with their gas-guzzling RV's and guns...

15 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Oookay. I'm not sure why she just didn't hold him in her lap or stick him in a bumbo or whatever those things are called. 

tumblr_onnr1fA9Gu1vb3sczo1_540.jpg

When I was growing up, and later when I had my own kids, we didn't have the bumpo things.  When baby was able to sit in a high chair or on a lap, they were put on the floor.  Since they were still at the 'round bottom' stage, where they were able to sit with help but needed to learn how to do it themselves, we just put pillows behind and to the sides.  They'd fall over onto a soft surface and and someone would put them back into a sitting position.  They usually seemed thrilled to try, but if they didn't like it or flopped forward and couldn't use their arms to try to push themselves up, it was too soon and you'd try again a week or two later.

16 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

A little homesteading would also be my favorite part of living in the country. I'd love to have a garden, chickens, maybe raise some pork for meat. Unfortunately, it seems like most fundies we follow have lots of acreage but little to no homesteading skills. They're seen at Walmart all the time but never at local farmer's markets.

If I were a Christian, I guess I'd be more of a Mennonite at heart than a Fundamentalist Baptist with their gas-guzzling RV's and guns...

There's a pretty fair amount of fundies that are into homesteading. 

14 hours ago, Flossie said:

When I was growing up, and later when I had my own kids, we didn't have the bumpo things.  When baby was able to sit in a high chair or on a lap, they were put on the floor.  Since they were still at the 'round bottom' stage, where they were able to sit with help but needed to learn how to do it themselves, we just put pillows behind and to the sides.  They'd fall over onto a soft surface and and someone would put them back into a sitting position.  They usually seemed thrilled to try, but if they didn't like it or flopped forward and couldn't use their arms to try to push themselves up, it was too soon and you'd try again a week or two later.

I still do it that way, but I use the boppy pillow :-)

On 3/27/2017 at 1:40 PM, Carm_88 said:

Confession time; I love the colour of the house. I would love to live in a very bright house. I meant to live on Jellybean row. Inserted picture of Jellybean row. 

Ce_LYgMXIAAQNFq.jpg

II'll take the purple one near the end of the row.  I see what I think is the Maple Leaf.  Damp and hilly street , mountain  in background ..Vancouver?

Oh speaking of TFDW and his sister wife.  I was out to dinner with Mr. One Kid, Kind One kid and my mom tonight.  I saw somebody I could swear looked like Priscilla and two kids about the ages of hers.  The boy was hanging upside down on his chair stuffing food into his mouth.  Then some man I assumed was the husband came to the table and looked nothing like TFDW.  Just as well.  I wouldn't want them in my city anyway

6 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

II'll take the purple one near the end of the row.  I see what I think is the Maple Leaf.  Damp and hilly street , mountain  in background ..Vancouver?

Hahah go East, way East! ;) St. John's, Newfoundland. 

10 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Hahah go East, way East! ;) St. John's, Newfoundland. 

I've watched too much Da Vinci's  Inquest. I had the country right at least.  Speaking of St John's.  I have an app to listen to police/fire rescue scanners from around the world.   Yea, I'm geeky that way.  Often St. Johns will be in the top 25 listeners.  What the heck goes on there?  Chicago, Cleveland, Indianapolis I get, but St. Johns? 

When I was growing up our house was painted bright red with white trim. The people in the neighborhood called it Bloodshed Barn, because my dad was a deputy sheriff. About 6 years later there was a guy from the town next to us who was selling aluminum siding. It was transformed to white with grey trim. When I was there 4 years ago, it's still white with grey trim with the same steps we had to the front door. 

We lived in a pink house, the landlord painted it pink and the cement wall in front too, because his girlfriend liked the color. At least we could tell people what house we were in. 

Now this one is a boring brown. There are some tromp d'oile paintings on the side fence (which is falling down) and on the wall of the front patio. I really don't care. 

Davia's face is screaming "Save me!" However, maybe that's just me! Family-to-family fun!!! 

30 minutes ago, Howl said:

Here it is in all of its periwinkle glory. 

Screenshot 2017-04-02 at 1.54.58 PM.png

Cute little house and although I'd never paint my house in this color I think the world really needs some brighter, happier colors. I hope she ignored the neighbors.

17 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

I've watched too much Da Vinci's  Inquest. I had the country right at least.  Speaking of St John's.  I have an app to listen to police/fire rescue scanners from around the world.   Yea, I'm geeky that way.  Often St. Johns will be in the top 25 listeners.  What the heck goes on there?  Chicago, Cleveland, Indianapolis I get, but St. Johns? 

Hahah, we are a group of people who want to know what is going on. :D 

3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Davia's face is screaming "Save me!" However, maybe that's just me! Family-to-family fun!!! 

Davia's face is saying I'm cute! Adopt me ! Please.....

I have another suggestion for bold or out is the normal house colors- color blindness! Or in my case, color deficient. You could be thinking you are buying a nice, warm red until someone points out it is a bright orange....not that this has happened to me once or twice.

of course, when a string of house are bold colors, that's local custom!

3 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Davia's face is saying I'm cute! Adopt me ! Please.....

Children of the Corn.

TFDW is incapable of a social media post without the word "family" in it at least once.

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

TFDW is incapable of a social media post without the word "family" in it at least once.

I'm still disappointed that it didn't have #family.  He's slipping a little. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived