IGNORED

Pecans in the Big Blue House - Priss & TFDW Part 5

choralcrusader8613

On 27.3.2017 at 7:34 PM, nokidsmom said:

My, my, it is indeed very blue.  Guess visitors will have no trouble finding it.

I have to give them credit though.   When they first bought that house, it was a mess.   

At least it seems like TFDW has some work ethic.

23 hours ago, Darwinesque said:

I really like the blue! They're so "beige" as a couple, it's a surprisingly bold move. A few pots on the terrace, a bit of landscaping, it could be really nice.

That was exactly my thought.

I like the house. It looks really cute, although it is a little bit too blue for me. I'd prefer yellow or red, but you can't debate taste. It does seem a little small though. It will be interesting how many blessings they manage to cram into it.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I wouldn't personally choose that colour, I like what they've done! I can't wait to see photos of the interior. I have to give them credit where credit's due - they've worked hard and done a great job so far.

I really like the blue. Muted house colors are so boring, especially subdivisions where the HOA has approved like 5 paint colors. Give me Jellybean row or the Painted Ladies any day!

IMG_2390.JPG

3 hours ago, MayMay1123 said:

I wonder how the JW like seeing a house flying (well, painted) the rainbow flag across from the Kingdom Hall all the time. I don't know if that was the homeowner's intent or not, but it's great.

ETA:  @KnittingOwl,  I love those old painted ladies!  For some reason, Victorian house were more commonly painted as painted ladies in the North and West and not so much in the South where Victorians tended to be painted white.  I don't know of that was to keep them cooler in the summer or just lack of imagination or conformity, but I like the painted ladies so much better!

@Carm_88, is that another charming Newfoundland village?  No wonder I'd love to go visit Newfoundland and not just because they've got some great village names like Heart's Content and Dildo.  (I think I got Heart's Content right.   I can't find my road atlas at the moment.)

On 3/27/2017 at 2:30 PM, PennySycamore said:

Jellybean Row is reminiscent of Rainbow Row in Charleston, SC, except that Jellybean Row is much more colorful and probably infinitely less snooty.  Rainbow Row is thirteen Georgian homes in ChuckTown which you can read more about here:

Rainbow Row

Will they strip my SC citizenship away from me if I say that I like Jellybean Row much better and would rather live there?   (Fingers crossed and hoping!)

A friend has the neatest print of Rainbow Row hanging over her sink!!! I'd attach a photo but I don't know how. It's by a local artist and art teacher, long since RIP, I imagine. 

17 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Carm_88, is that another charming Newfoundland village?  No wonder I'd love to go visit Newfoundland and not just because they've got some great village names like Heart's Content and Dildo.  (I think I got Heart's Content right.   I can't find my road atlas at the moment.)

It's a French island off the coast. You did get Heart's Content right. There's also Heart's Desire, Heart's Delight, and Cupids. :) All cute names! 

@Carm_88,  I should have remembered that St Pierre was a French island.  There's something about St Pierre and Miquelon in The Basque History of the World about how Basque fishermen were some of the first European settlers.

Time for an unpopular, snarky opinion.

Whenever we saw a really brightly painted house when I was growing up, like Pepto Bismal pink, bright green, or shocking purple, my family would say, "Either they got a great deal on paint or they hate their neighbors."

7 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

What color are pecans?

Brown! :) Just call me a Certified Expert in Pecans! ;) 

Pecans.jpg

22 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Time for an unpopular, snarky opinion.

Whenever we saw a really brightly painted house when I was growing up, like Pepto Bismal pink, bright green, or shocking purple, my family would say, "Either they got a great deal on paint or they hate their neighbors."

I was going to say, I'd be willing to bet they got a good deal on that color paint. TFDW is rather frugal.

They also live in a very rural area. I would be surprised if they had more than 1 or 2 neighbors who could even see their house, especially when the trees are full.

2 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

I was going to say, I'd be willing to bet they got a good deal on that color paint. TFDW is rather frugal.

They also live in a very rural area. I would be surprised if they had more than 1 or 2 neighbors who could even see their house, especially when the trees are full.

If I lived near the Pecans, the color of their house wouldn't bother me as much as the fact that they probably try to pass out "helpful" religious materials to everyone.

My grandma is housebound in a REALLY cool mid-century neighborhood (we don't have too many of those around because NW Midcentury is not the excellence that CA Midcentury is).  Anyways, one of her neighbors painted their house a BRIGHT YELLOW, and I have never seen my grandmother more upset at anything in her life.  She can't remember much anymore, but good gravy does the woman remember how much she hates "that yellow house" and her new fridge.

I live in a historic neighborhood, so bold paint colors are my preference, but I will say that I don't like the Pecan's.  It's a bit TOO much for me.  When you choose a color like that for a Victorian, for example, you often have more detail work that you will do in a different color that breaks up and balances out the house.  Pecans have a house like mine: more modern, which means large, uninterrupted blocks of wall/color.  They would have been better served doing the trim a bolder color and keeping the house something not necessarily neutral, but duskier/more mellow.  They have enough trim that a bold color would have still made it pop and look unique, but it wouldn't be so...overwhelming.

But I don't live there.  So who cares what I think :) I hope THEY like it, they have worked very hard on that house.  

On 3/27/2017 at 1:26 PM, nokidsmom said:

I love this color of blue and it's one I wear a lot.  However, I wouldn't paint my house with it.  It's cheery and all but my neighbors would hate me.   Seriously.   

My neighborhood is very much into beiges, grays, and white on houses.   There was someone who did a more intense blue color and it got the side eye big time.  When it came time to sell, they had to change the siding if they had any hope of selling.

They don't have any close neighbors... Big Sandy has a population of 1300, and it looks like they're in the middle of fields off a small road from google streetview (view from their front porch below).

Capture.PNG

I love bright colours so I would totally paint my house the brightest colour, I could. If I had annoying neighbours and it bothered them, well that would just be icing on the cake. 

4 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

If I lived near the Pecans, the color of their house wouldn't bother me as much as the fact that they probably try to pass out "helpful" religious materials to everyone.

But think of the free TP!  No, whatever was I thinking--far too scratchy.

Cinque Terre in Italy is another colorful spot. I have not been there but my daughter has. That country now has her heart. 

IMG_5784.JPG

5 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Cinque Terre in Italy is another colorful spot. I have not been there but my daughter has. That country now has her heart. 

IMG_5784.JPG

Oh my! It has mine too. Now I want to go even more! 

Oookay. I'm not sure why she just didn't hold him in her lap or stick him in a bumbo or whatever those things are called. 

tumblr_onnr1fA9Gu1vb3sczo1_540.jpg

Another colorful community of Longyearbyen, on the island of Spitsbergen, in the Svalbard archipelago north of Norway. It is the northernmost year-round settlement on earth. I suspect the colors help deal with the unrelenting darkness during the winter.

longyearbyen.jpg

11 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

They don't have any close neighbors... Big Sandy has a population of 1300, and it looks like they're in the middle of fields off a small road from google streetview (view from their front porch below).

Capture.PNG

I have to admit that this picture just underlined my wish to life in the country some day. Not now or in the next 2-3 years, but I'd love to have a little cottage in the country and raise some chickens and do all that simple living stuff.

6 hours ago, usmcmom said:

IMG_5784.JPG

This looks so gorgeous!! I should really travel to Italy more.

The island of Burano, near Venice, Italy, also has beautiful bright buildings.  We were told this was so that the fishermen could recognise their home when they were drunk.  Not sure whether that's the actual reason, but it's definitely a scenic place.

IMG_0784.PNG

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived