IGNORED

Joe and Kendra: Looking Forward to Side Hugs

choralcrusader8613

They add pieces of chopped up hamburger patty to make it ultimate. I fell in love with in n out when I was a still a vegetarian so I haven't really experimented with all of the meat options, but it sounds good to me!

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

They add pieces of chopped up hamburger patty to make it ultimate. I fell in love with in n out when I was a still a vegetarian so I haven't really experimented with all of the meat options, but it sounds good to me!

I pass by an In n Out on my way home from my daughter's play group tomorrow. I will have to try this. 

In n Out fries are only good animal style, I hate them plain. I went to In n Out faaaaar too often early in this pregnancy. Animal fries and a neapolitan shake were all I could keep down...

Pickles posted Steve Neuman Papa Caldwell's "gay people aren't real" flyer he was handing out.  Apparently he's confused on the definition of a "eunuch" too.

He can't seem to remember whether he's talking about sexual orientation or gender in that "eunuch" bit.

I notice he also suggests that gay Christians should choose a life of religious celibacy (AKA never being allowed to love another person romantically and dying alone.) Jeremy's church says something similar in its statement of faith - "the only acceptable alternative to marriage between one man and one woman is the faithful single life of celibacy as celebrated by Paul in the First Corinthian Letter." Seems like a kinda shitty alternative to me.

21 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

I notice he also suggests that gay Christians should choose a life of religious celibacy (AKA never being allowed to love another person romantically and dying alone.) Jeremy's church says something similar in its statement of faith - "the only acceptable alternative to marriage between one man and one woman is the faithful single life of celibacy as celebrated by Paul in the First Corinthian Letter." Seems like a kinda shitty alternative to me.

It's the way Fundies causally throw this suggestion around that pisses me off - whether from someone who's married and surrounded by their own kids, or some asshole teenager/early 20s, who says it's not much to ask, THEY've been single for a year, so it's not like they're suggesting LGB people do anything THEY wouldn't do.

ETA It's not just not having a partner, it's not having any close friends, as in Fundyland, being close friends with the opposite gender is wrong, but a gay person having a close friendship with someone of the same gender would also be wrong, as it would be intimacy etc etc

Odd they would quote Paul and not Jesus.  

Of course, Jesus condemned no one and fundies can't go a day without doing so.

They can't quote Jesus, because Jesus never said anything about homosexuality. He said that men shouldn't divorce their wives unless their wives are guilty of adultery. He said that people who want to be celibate should be free to be celibate. He said that in the resurrection people will not marry each other but will be like the angels in heaven. He said that people who condemn others who act on their lust are just as guilty if they've even ever looked at another person lustfully. Maybe others will remember more, but I can't think of anything else that Jesus said related to sexuality. He was much more focused on religious hypocrisy.

Thank you, @singsingsing! You have just articulated all that I believe, but don't have the biblical knowledge to cite.

29 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

Any thoughts on when these two will get engaged?

Whenever Anna gives birth to Blessing #5? 

I think that since Kendra is so young, they might have a little longer courtship than average in Duggarland. So I doubt they will get engaged before August.

"I've always wondered who eats at Arbys.  Now I know. "

Appropos of nothing, this reminded me of the college area in Cincinnati where there was an Arby's right next to a Hardy's. I always wondered how people picked.

On 4/23/2017 at 0:23 PM, Greendoor said:

Odd they would quote Paul and not Jesus.  

Of course, Jesus condemned no one and fundies can't go a day without doing so.

I always kind of wonder why Paul has become such an authority--

On 4/24/2017 at 7:35 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think that since Kendra is so young, they might have a little longer courtship than average in Duggarland. So I doubt they will get engaged before August.

Joy's engagement has shown that age isn't really a hurdle!   But from your lips to gods ears.   

26 minutes ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

Joy's engagement has shown that age isn't really a hurdle!   But from your lips to gods ears.   

True but Joe isn't the young one in the relationship. Kendra is the 18 year old so her parents might like her to have a longer courtship. 

18 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

True but Joe isn't the young one in the relationship. Kendra is the 18 year old so her parents might like her to have a longer courtship. 

I hope you are right but something makes me think that JimBoob Inc. is the headship in this relationship.   I think the timeline will be dictated by the Counting On schedule.  

20 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If they preach what they practiced, I don't think they'd be too concerned over their daughter's age. I think some FJ sleuths figured out they likely married around 18 and had Kendra not too far after.

16 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

If they preach what they practiced, I don't think they'd be too concerned over their daughter's age. I think some FJ sleuths figured out they likely married around 18 and had Kendra not too far after.

Kendra's mom is young I remember. But I wonder how long they were together before marriage. Were they high school sweethearts? That's what makes me wonder if they want Kendra to have a long enough courtship to really know Joe since she's so young and has plenty of time.

The longer courtships have seemed to be the ones where the non Duggar is young. So Anna didn't want to get engaged until she was 20. I bet Josh would have proposed before her 20th birthday had Anna been open to it. Ben was only 18 when they started courting and that was a long courtship for a Duggar. Derrick, Jeremy, and Austin were all older so they probably were ok with the shorter courtships. The Duggars in general seem to be just fine with short courtships and being young when getting married but they have to take the other person into consideration. And I'm hoping Kendra's family would like a little longer courtship. Fingers crossed.

On 4/24/2017 at 9:00 PM, patsymae said:

I always kind of wonder why Paul has become such an authority--

Jesus said nothing about homosexuality-ever

Paul did. He also spread his own brand of Christianity.  He was a misogynistic asshole who had his own agenda about lots of things.  He was great at travelling to promote his brand and convincing others to do so.

The early Church amplified *HIS* version of Christ's message.

I've always liked this Robert Frost quote:

Robert Frost- snipped from  his poem "A Masque of Mercy":

"Paul he's in the Bible too. He is the fellow who theologized Christ almost out of Christianity. Look out for him."

5 hours ago, Exposedknees said:

Jesus said nothing about homosexuality-ever

Paul did. He also spread his own brand of Christianity.  He was a misogynistic asshole who had his own agenda about lots of things.  He was great at travelling to promote his brand and convincing others to do so.

The early Church amplified *HIS* version of Christ's message.

I've always liked this Robert Frost quote:

Robert Frost- snipped from  his poem "A Masque of Mercy":

"Paul he's in the Bible too. He is the fellow who theologized Christ almost out of Christianity. Look out for him."

I think I read about it in "Zealot" by Reza Aslan. The infighting between Paul and the Jerusalem group (James the Just, Peter, people who actually knew Jesus) was so interesting to read about.

Aslan also wrote that there were many reasons the early Church chose Paul over the Jerusalem group. The two biggest had to do with the Diaspora though. Paul had worked extensively in Greece, so his followers weren't scattered to the winds like the people of Jerusalem and Judea were. You also have the fact that the early Christians saw what happened to the people of Judea and they weren't keen to share in it. So it made sense that they would have adopted Paul's version of Jesus (the pacifist who didn't explicitly challenge Roman authority and was viewed as the son of God) over the Jesus that Peter and the others favored (the violent zealot who was constantly challenging Rome and was viewed as the Messiah - the person who would rule over and free the Jewish people on Earth.) The less they had to do with Jewish teachings the safer they were.

As for Paul's views on homosexuality, I think someone here mentioned to me once that he wasn't referring to the consensual love between two adults. He was referring to an adult and much younger adolescent or child. Is that correct or do I have that wrong?

On 4/23/2017 at 9:45 AM, singsingsing said:

They can't quote Jesus, because Jesus never said anything about homosexuality. He said that men shouldn't divorce their wives unless their wives are guilty of adultery. He said that people who want to be celibate should be free to be celibate. He said that in the resurrection people will not marry each other but will be like the angels in heaven. He said that people who condemn others who act on their lust are just as guilty if they've even ever looked at another person lustfully. Maybe others will remember more, but I can't think of anything else that Jesus said related to sexuality. He was much more focused on religious hypocrisy.

Certainly the Gospels say that.  I think Jesus probably said the Blessed series, and the Love statement.

All those books were written by people, translated and who knows else; then some were selected for the Bible we have today, and some not.  The Apocrypha is worth a look, although it is not exhaustive of the books that didn't quite make the grade.

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

sniipped

As for Paul's views on homosexuality, I think someone here mentioned to me once that he wasn't referring to the consensual love between two adults. He was referring to an adult and much younger adolescent or child. Is that correct or do I have that wrong?

I believe you are correct.  It was Greek custom at the time for men to have a boy 10-13 as a toy (read sexual plaything).  I think Paul was right to speak against this. 

Pederasty in ancient times is very different than the way we think of pedophilia being predatory.  It was a cultural thing. I'm not discounting the sexual aspect of it but the older male was more of a mentor figure, initiating the boy into the world of "men."  Consent was implied , at least in the way I understand it. I doubt that many of the participants considered themselves "gay."  Sexuality was more fluid in some ways in that culture. I don't know if we can condemn it with the same conviction. 

I have problems with Paul.  I think he's a jerk. I hate all of his legalese in his instructions to early churches. This is where fundies get all these rules that we endlessly analyze debate on FJ. Some insist that Paul was condemning prostitution and human trafficking of male and female slave prostitutes; and that his words were mistranslated as condemning homosexuality. I disagree- he condemns progressiveness in every area.  As I have said before I don't teach New Testament as literature anymore....because Jesus...and I should now add Paul-in fact it may always have been Paul. Boo Paul. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived