IGNORED

Maxwell 8: Not Riveting Our Attention

FundieFarmer

New post: an act of kindness to one of "the elderly".

https://blog.titus2.com/2017/03/28/acts-of-kindness/

Lovely gesture but how about going out into the community on a regular basis and serving in a soup kitchen or volunteering at a food pantry or a domestic violence shelter or even an animal shelter?  They do one thing, for someone they often have contact with (in the  "church" nursing home) but nothing for others in their community.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Perhaps Gigi wants beef burritos (see the comments for the menu) and would much rather live alone. I know I would.  

She is right next door if she needs anything.   I'm sure Steve has his eye on her house for John or Jesse to move into at some point.

How do we know she hasn't gone and died? I mean, Granddad died and they didn't even mention it until casually popping it into a sentence months later.

@Captain Obvious, good point.  When did we last see a photo or hear a mention of poor GiGi?

We have a number of elderly friends who attend church with us, and sometimes, due to needing extra care, they move over to the nearby rehab or assisted living facility. 

Sarah, sweetie.  This is misleading.  It makes people think that you actually go to a real church and meet people other than family and the "elderly."

We know perfectly well that the Maxwell "church" is Families for Jesus Fellowship and the Pastor is Steve.  The congregation is your family and any residents you can hoodwink into joining you.  You rarely get more than a handful of the "elderly" unless Steve wheels someone down the corridor under protest.  The pastor's wife is, of course, Teri and that is how she got into that women's conference cheap.

You meet in the community room of the Independent Living part of Twin Oaks Retirement Community.  Any residents who want to use the community room at 9:30 on a Sunday morning are stuck with the caterwauling of your sisters and the haranguing of Steve, the poor things.

And, what @Dark Matters, said.  Get off your idle behinds and do something nice for someone other than a relative or a "church member" at least once a week.  Only then should you preach to others about acts of kindness.  What the hell do you all do every day anyway?

I think it's really funny that they have all these requests for Mary's rolls. Why the rolls? Those are pretty simple to  make. I'm more curious about the beef pie, which would be a more involved recipe. 

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I think it's really funny that they have all these requests for Mary's rolls. Why the rolls? Those are pretty simple to  make. I'm more curious about the beef pie, which would be a more involved recipe. 

I'm surprised Steve hasn't decided that the Beef pies don't taste any different without the beef,

41 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

I did a Google check and no obit for Jan Frazer aka Gigi.  Maybe she moved in with Aunt Tami and Uncle Rob.

Interesting she doesnt attend the Church of Steve. http://m.ftleavenworthlamp.com/article/20160428/NEWS/160429336

Maybe she refuses to move into Casa de Maxwell, declines to attend their church against their wishes, or has generally told Steve where he can shove it, so they no longer mention her.

@Palimpsest, you'd think the Maxhells would want to emulate Dorcas from the Acts of the Apostles.  Dorcas was a widow who spent her days in "good works and almsdeeds."

10 hours ago, 16strong said:

I'm surprised Steve hasn't decided that the Beef pies don't taste any different without the beef,

Funny you should mention that, as on their previous post about 'extended family' Sunday Lunch I asked if they used meat in their burritos. It got rejected. Hi Stevie!!1! 

22 hours ago, Dark Matters said:

New post: an act of kindness to one of "the elderly".

https://blog.titus2.com/2017/03/28/acts-of-kindness/

Lovely gesture but how about going out into the community on a regular basis and serving in a soup kitchen or volunteering at a food pantry or a domestic violence shelter or even an animal shelter?  They do one thing, for someone they often have contact with (in the  "church" nursing home) but nothing for others in their community.

Didn't Jesus say something against bragging about your good deeds?

58 minutes ago, CyborgKin said:

Jesus said a lot of things but the Maxwells take no notice. 

6 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Jesus said a lot of things but the Maxwells take no notice. 

Imo, it might be a different story if they treated her like a person, but in their blog post, she is merely "one of those sweet ladies." She isn't Sally Johnson, who plays piano, loves tennis, and makes the room light up when she tells a joke. To them, she is an act of their charity, not a human with anything to offer. There is no value beyond a single post describing what they (the Maxwells) do to "bless others." This woman will never be mentioned again, and they will never call her by name or bring attention to the traits that attract them to her. Because her personality traits DON'T attract them. Who she is as a person is utterly meaningless to them, only the "act of charity" they can make. Something is deeply wrong with this family.

Oi, Maxwells.

Modesty isn't just to do with the height of your neckline and the length of your skirt.

9 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Yes, He did. Matthew 6:1-4:

“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."
“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Fu*k these bunch of holier-than-thou hypocrites. 

12 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Stevehovah doesn't do enough of what some might call "good deeds" to ever humble brag about them.

4 hours ago, 16strong said:

Imo, it might be a different story if they treated her like a person, but in their blog post, she is merely "one of those sweet ladies." She isn't Sally Johnson, who plays piano, loves tennis, and makes the room light up when she tells a joke. To them, she is an act of their charity, not a human with anything to offer. There is no value beyond a single post describing what they (the Maxwells) do to "bless others." This woman will never be mentioned again, and they will never call her by name or bring attention to the traits that attract them to her. Because her personality traits DON'T attract them. Who she is as a person is utterly meaningless to them, only the "act of charity" they can make. Something is deeply wrong with this family.

I thought maybe they didn't want to say her name, to respect her privacy. But, if that's her in the photo, I guess that's ruled out. Though she seems just a bit blurred out. What attracted her to them? Probably she's lonely and doesn't have children/grandchildren/nieces/nephews to eat with her that often.

The Maxwells are such bad, boring writers that I'm not surprised the "sweet lady" is written about in such a generic way.

5 hours ago, spookytwoshoes said:

Yes, He did. Matthew 6:1-4:

“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."
“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Fu*k these bunch of holier-than-thou hypocrites. 

But don't you see????? They are an encooouuuragement!!! Everyone should take dinner to a single old person once in a blue moon just like them!

I am going to give them a pass here. Obviously they want to show how altruistic they are but it may have been a positive for the woman they visited. My mom is in a skilled nursing facility as she needs 24 hour care. She is lucky I live close by and can see her a couple of times a week and be there if she has to go to the hospital.  A lot of people in those facilities don't have anyone either living close by or at all. Some never get visits and have to depend on other patients or the nursing staff for some type of companionship. They are lonely even when the facility tries to create community atmosphere. It's a big deal to get a visit from someone and this may have brought a little happiness to this woman. 

4 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Do the Maxwells go to a real church now, or are they still running the nursing home church?

I really doubt they would ever go to a real church, except for the odd times in the past when they were on tour and went to services with people who hosted them, probably out of politeness.

In a real church, they'd have to listen to someone other than Steve preach. Then he wouldn't be able to control what they heard. Something other than DEATH DEATH DEATH might sneak in there. Or worse - people singing in tune.

We'd make terrible Maxwell's.  I have an elderly neighbor that often shares her cookies with my children.  She likes to bake when her grand and great- grandchildren visit.  She's been like an honorary grandmother to my kids for over 20 years.  

The last time we were expecting a severe storm I gave her some candles and a lighter in case the electricity went out.  We've taken in each other's packages if they arrived when we weren't home.  She loves my Taco Soup, and a couple of other dishes I make, so I often make a big batch and take some over to her.  If she's already had dinner, she can eat it the next day.

When one of my kids made the Deans List or the Presidents List, she cut the list out of the paper and sent them over.  This past winter my youngest started going to her house daily to get her mail key, so my neighbor didn't have to walk to the end of the street through ice or snow.

It never once occurred to any of us to post about it on Facebook or on a blog.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived