IGNORED

Has anyone else seen fundie types or MLMs using this fake Dave Ramsey quote?

lilwriter85

3 hours ago, December said:

Well if they're all demo-based, I would assume you're supposed to spill food and drink all over and they will clean it up with the microfiber cloths :P Also, is it really just for cleaning cloths? Cause that is hysterical. 

I'm imagining a really bad infomercial being performed live in someone's living room. The kind where someone breaks down crying because their life wasn't worth living before they found whatever product is being sold.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

I'm imagining a really bad infomercial being performed live in someone's living room. The kind where someone breaks down crying because their life wasn't worth living before they found whatever product is being sold.

Well, the event page does have multiple impassioned posts from the person doing the selling about how Norwex has changed her life and she wants it to change our lives, too. So you might not be far off. 

$400 for the have it all package?  I'll definitely pass.

12 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

"Has this ever happened to you?"

[shot of hapless woman struggling to mop up major spill with inferior cloth, filmed in black and white]

The only Norwex event I've been to was an "online party," so I haven't seen what they actually do at someone's house, but the demos for that were a combination of the hostess cleaning up trouble areas of her house (for example stuck-on stove grease) and the more dramatic spill and mess videos produced by the company. The hostess didn't have to mess up her own house in any significant way beyond probably putting off her own cleaning routine a bit to get a more dramatic dirt accumulation, but it was nothing too filthy.

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

[shot of hapless woman struggling to mop up major spill with inferior cloth, filmed in black and white]

Yup!

My favorite is when the product is for food preparation, and there's a before shot of someone cutting food like they've never even seen a knife before. :pb_lol:

On 4/11/2017 at 7:47 AM, smittykins said:

Raises echoes in the back of the brain...

Ring around the collar! Ring around the collar!

Those dirty rings. You've tried scrubbing them out, but you still come up with...

Ring around the collar!

And is it possible to ever forget Ban won't wear off as the day wears on!

I guess nowadays people worry more about the prescription meds their doctor hasn't told them about yet, at least from the percentage of ads we see for drugs. Oh, and teeth that need whitening.

I'm suddenly reminded, too, of the opening sequence for Bells Are Ringing. Who knew answering a phone could be so fraught with peril?

I'm up too late. My brain is doing weird things.

On 4/10/2017 at 0:06 AM, Mercer said:

I've also heard several people say they tore along the seams or didn't wash well.

I also try not to buy fad clothing, and I think that the wildly patterned leggings thing may be more of a flash in the pan than an idea with staying power.

I have a pair of the leggings that began to come apart at the seams pretty quick. Certainly before any of my cheap leggings came apart!

Totally agree on the fad clothing. The wild leggings will be what we all laugh at in old photos 10 years from now.

The chicken demonstration is where they put a piece of raw chicken on a surface, then clean up the juice with a microfiber cloth. They use a protein test swab to see if all of the mess is cleaned up. If you do the same test with a spray cleaner and a paper towel, the way most people clean a kitchen counter, it leaves a bunch of stuff behind - the protein swab would still show it as "dirty." I never needed to do that sort of demo, but I've seen a lot of others do it.

I just offered to clean a window with water and a cloth. Takes maybe a minute per window, no streaks. I would also ask if they had anything that they hadn't been able to clean or was difficult for them. Once I took out a years-old carpet stain for my friend. I cleaned the inside of the oven for another friend. I didn't need to make extra messes or struggle with an inferior cloth, though that would have been hilarious.

16 hours ago, SoybeanQueen said:

The chicken demonstration is where they put a piece of raw chicken on a surface, then clean up the juice with a microfiber cloth. They use a protein test swab to see if all of the mess is cleaned up. If you do the same test with a spray cleaner and a paper towel, the way most people clean a kitchen counter, it leaves a bunch of stuff behind - the protein swab would still show it as "dirty." I never needed to do that sort of demo, but I've seen a lot of others do it.

But... but... but... doesn't that mean that all that nasty potential salmonella stuff is INSIDE THE CLOTH just waiting to be wiped onto another surface????

Please tell me I'm wrong.

(ETA: I used one of those window cloths for years after developing an allergy to Windex. Loved it. Lost it in a move. Don't know if I'll look for another one. But I never trusted the whole "raw chicken" thing.)

1 hour ago, refugee said:

But... but... but... doesn't that mean that all that nasty potential salmonella stuff is INSIDE THE CLOTH just waiting to be wiped onto another surface????

Please tell me I'm wrong.

The microfiber holds onto things, so it doesn't transfer to other surfaces. You rinse it and wash it, no more chicken germs. Personally, I always wash my cloths right after cleaning up something like that, but I tested some various scenarios with that glowing germ gel to see if it would transfer to other surfaces, just because I wanted to be comfortable telling my friends that it wouldn't. I never found any traces of the glow gel on other surfaces even without rinsing the cloth between. Microfiber cloths were designed for use in hospitals - they were looking for a way to pick up the majority of nasty stuff without transfer. The Norwex cloths have silver in the fibers, it goes in during manufacturing, not on top afterward, and that reduces the growth of anything gross once it's in the cloth.

We also color code in our house - pink cloths are for the bathroom or other jobs I perceive as more disgusting. I trust that the germs don't transfer, but I still don't want to wipe my kitchen with a cloth that cleaned a toilet yesterday. Ew.

I don't sell it any more, but I do use it daily. My house is definitely cleaner overall with less effort. For me, that's worth the initial cost of the cloths, which have lasted for 4 years now with no signs of wearing out. (I never bought a $400 package to start, though! Most people don't.)

*struggles with inferior cloth, infomercial-style*

On 4/10/2017 at 10:14 PM, Coconut Flan said:

$400 for the have it all package?  I'll definitely pass.

You weren't kidding. :shock: I would rather spend $400 hiring someone to come clean my house. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just got invited to a Norwex party. 

I do like and use several EO but as someone living in ground zero of the East TX tornados, I am incredibly angry at the local (Christian) EO seller who is hosting a special EO event to shill her (sp?) oils because "we all need an emotional boost during this time." No lady, get your d@mn a$$ out and start working the relief stations, not trying to profit off of your oils. Put your faith to work like so many of your felllw believers  are doing now 

On 5/1/2017 at 8:15 PM, EowynW said:

I do like and use several EO but as someone living in ground zero of the East TX tornados, I am incredibly angry at the local (Christian) EO seller who is hosting a special EO event to shill her (sp?) oils because "we all need an emotional boost during this time." No lady, get your d@mn a$$ out and start working the relief stations, not trying to profit off of your oils. Put your faith to work like so many of your felllw believers  are doing now 

Totally ticks me off when people (believers or not) take advantage of disasters to enrich themselves.    In situations like these, you either step up to help out or stay out of it.  

Archived