IGNORED

Hypocrisy, Thy Name Is Republican

47of74

On 5/11/2018 at 10:36 AM, formergothardite said:

That sounds like a good fantasy. I would add to it that their thoughts on torture when they are faced with it are recorded and shared with the world. I suspect that despite being scared out of their minds, some of them would go right back to claiming torture is great. 

I remember there was this guy who reversed his position on waterboarding after being subjected to it for about six seconds...

Mancow decided to tackle the divisive issue head on -- actually it was head down, while restrained and reclining.

"I want to find out if it's torture," Mancow told his listeners Friday morning, adding that he hoped his on-air test would help prove that waterboarding did not, in fact, constitute torture.

"It is way worse than I thought it would be, and that's no joke,"Mancow said, likening it to a time when he nearly drowned as a child.  "It is such an odd feeling to have water poured down your nose with your head back...It was instantaneous...and I don't want to say this: absolutely torture."

"I wanted to prove it wasn't torture," Mancow said.  "They cut off our heads, we put water on their face...I got voted to do this but I really thought 'I'm going to laugh this off.' "

Maybe some of these big time tough Republicans ought to go through things like this first before they think of inflicting it on anyone else... 

Just saw this from Pennsylvania where Rep. Tarah Toohil has a bodyguard with her while at the capital to protect her from a fellow Representative. 

The reason she has a bodyguard can be found a few yards away from her on the House floor: a fellow Republican lawmaker, Representative Nick Miccarelli.

In March, Ms. Toohil obtained an order of protection against Mr. Miccarelli, whom she used to date. She claims that he kicked her, pinched her and pinned her by the neck to a wall in the ornate Capitol, and once brandished a gun and threatened to kill them both.

Since March 1, when they called on him to quit, top Republicans in the House have taken no actions that would put pressure on Mr. Miccarelli to comply. They have not stripped him of committee assignments, introduced a resolution for expulsion, or even cut his office budget.

House Speaker Mike Turzai refused this week to address the issue. As he strode quickly on Wednesday from the back door of his office suite to an elevator held open for him by a guard, he was asked why Republicans were not moving to expel Mr. Miccarelli or otherwise apply pressure. He did not reply.

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

This probably should have gone in Cartoons, but I couldn't resist:

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5
  • Love 3

Did you hear that? It's the sound of the swamp being drained. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Did you hear that? It's the sound of the swamp being drained. 

Of course they're getting out as quick as they can. It's either that or face the consequences of their actions, and we all know they're too cowardly for that.

I'd love to see every single one of them get their comeuppance, so it pisses me off that they're getting cushy jobs after what they've done to America. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

SD lawmaker: I would never say that horrible racist thing that I just said. 

• Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 6

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

SD lawmaker: I would never say that horrible racist thing that I just said. 

I was just coming here to make note of this myself.  Yeah if anyone believes that he "would never advocate discriminating against people based on their color or race" I've got the following for sale...

JDBridge.jpg.d0bf5848dd1f82dbf4907231a220256c.jpgJDBridge.jpg.1deb7c0890ea1aedc49d7d273d2e7ce1.jpgPennBridge.png.e33269990226950ffd579540f9e78846.png

I can do cash or paypal.

• Upvote 10

Alabama legislator Ed Henry (R of course) is in a bit of trouble with the law for kickbacks and Medicare fraud.

Henry entered into an agreement with Montgomery physician Gilberto Sanchez in 2016 under which the lawmaker would pay kickbacks to Sanchez's office in exchange for the practice referring Medicare beneficiaries to MyPractice24 for chronic care management services, prosecutors allege.

Henry also allegedly assisted Sanchez in paying kickbacks to patients who enrolled in the chronic care management program. According to prosecutors, those kickbacks were paid by Sanchez by waiving copays required by Medicare.

Sanchez has already pleaded guilty to drug distribution, health care fraud, and money laundering charges. 

Henry has been charged with one count of conspiring to pay kickbacks and to defraud the United States, six counts of paying unlawful kickbacks, one count of conspiring to commit health care fraud, five counts of health care fraud and one count of conspiring to commit money laundering.

• WTF 5

A good op-ed from Eugene Robinson: "The pompous GOP credo was a sham all along"

Spoiler

Are you old enough to remember when the Republican Party had principles and a backbone? It seems so long ago.

If you do recall that bygone time, you might expect that said principles and backbone will assert themselves, sooner or later, against President Trump. Stop waiting, because it’s not going to happen. The pompous GOP credo was apparently a sham all along.

Trump has completely overturned what once was hallowed Republican orthodoxy on free trade. He has blithely ignored what used to be GOP holy writ about fiscal restraint. He mocks the party’s traditional foreign policy stance, enjoying better rapport with dictators than with the democratically elected leaders of nations that for decades have been our closest allies. He refuses even to pay lip service to the notion of universal human rights. He lies, constantly and shamelessly, to the people he is sworn to represent. In both his public and private lives, he acts as if he believes that personal responsibility — which Republicans so love to preach about — is for losers.

If a Democratic president acted this way, he or she would already have been impeached by the GOP-controlled Congress. Outraged denunciation from the likes of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) would be loud and constant. But the party of Abe Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan is now owned and operated by Donald Trump, and McConnell is as meek as a mouse.

Worse than that: McConnell proclaims how little he cares about the noble-sounding values he once claimed to treasure. “In my view, the last 16 months have been the single best period for conservative values since I came to Washington . . . in 1985,” he told the Faith and Freedom Coalition conference of religious conservatives on Friday. “And this is not hyperbole.”

The crowd of Bible-thumping hypocrites — I don’t know what else to call them — applauded.

Sorry, but I simply don’t understand how politically active evangelicals can reconcile devout Christian faith with uncritical support of Trump. Should all of his behavior be excused because he appoints judges who will restrict abortion and same-sex marriage rights? Then tell me, what is pro-family about a policy of forcibly separating asylum-seekers from their young children at the border? Where in the New Testament does it say that blessed are the cruel?

On Saturday, Trump took a sledgehammer to the alliance of industrialized democracies that has been a mainstay since the end of World War II. At the Group of Seven meeting in Quebec , he behaved like a bully and a brat — the iconic photo of his faceoff with German Chancellor Angela Merkel says it all — before finally agreeing to sign a customary joint statement acknowledging differences but pledging to work toward solutions. But as the president left for Singapore and his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, anodyne remarks by the G-7 gathering’s host, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, sent Trump into a rage.

The president withdrew U.S. support for the joint statement, essentially turning the G-7 into the G-6, and he excoriated Trudeau in a series of tweets, calling him “dishonest” and “weak,” and accusing the leader of the biggest market for U.S. exports of making “false statements.”

Trump administration officials were even more intemperate in their rhetoric. Chief economic adviser Larry Kudlow said Trudeau “stabbed us in the back” — by gently stating that he disagreed with the steel and aluminum tariffs Trump has imposed. Trade adviser Peter Navarro said there was “a special place in hell” for Trudeau and accused him of “bad faith.”

During the meeting, Trump had advocated that Russia be readmitted to the group, which was once the G-8. Russia was expelled when its strongman leader, Vladimir Putin, annexed Crimea after seizing it by force from a sovereign European country, Ukraine. British Prime Minister Theresa May was particularly alarmed at Trump’s position, given the recent attempt to assassinate a former Russian intelligence agent on British soil using a sophisticated Russian-devised nerve agent. And by the way, U.S. intelligence officials say that Russia is already trying to interfere in November’s midterm election, as it did in the 2016 presidential vote.

So this is now Republican foreign policy? Embracing Mother Russia and bashing Rogue Canada?

There was the usual criticism from Arizona Republican Sens. John ­McCain, who is fighting brain cancer, and Jeff Flake, who is retiring at the end of his term next January. Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) mumbled something about the closeness between Canada and Maine. But nobody actually did anything to constrain Trump. So he lurches ahead, dragging a once-great political party toward its own special place in hell.

• Upvote 7

Arizona Republican is very concerned because some kids are brown:

• Sad 1
  • WTF 6

9 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Dear Knucklehead,

Some of the "scary brown children"  descend from those who lived in the land now known as Arizona when your ancestors were still in Europe. Becoming a citizen or living here a few generations doesn't change skin pigment.

• Upvote 9

20 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Omg who gives an eff about demographics!?!? I don't give one stinky poo if It upsets you, everyone is a human. Congrats on feeling uncomfortable in your own skin, POC have had to live like that for centuries. No pain, no gain, enjoy the good food and most importantly, make friends and play nice. We as individuals have so much to share with each other, and the world!

Sincerely,

Someone who befriended the Spanish girl in elementary school, helped teach English in exchange for Spanish, defended against the bully who called her brown poop (which is kinda rich coming from her, as her mother was Filipina.) Man, 5th grade opened my eyes. 

Sorry, that turned kinda ranty, lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I guess we should be glad that they aren't even trying to sugar coat their racism now. And yes, the GOP is very, very scared of more POC getting in politics. 

• Upvote 11

• 2 weeks later...

Sure they can. They steal the minimum wage jobs and then cheat on welfare and get rich selling drugs.

Amazing work ethic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pants Shit Fever didn't want guns at one of his Klan rallies concerts

Musician, vocal gun rights advocate, and NRA board member Ted Nugent reportedly barred all guns from concert he gave in Virginia this Tuesday.

According to WSLS, fans were told in a last minute announcement that they were not allowed to bring their guns into the Berglund Performing Arts Theater in Roanoke. Nugent and his team were the ones to made the decision to bar guns, not the venue itself.

“The Berglund Center said because it is city owned, it can’t keep guns out unless the performers are the ones who request it,” WSLS reported.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

About “encouraging the assassination of the President”:

I seem to recall that was acceptable to certain people so long as his name was Obama.

• Upvote 5