IGNORED

BRADRICK! Divorce Part 2

Destiny

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Not the person you were quoting, but that is not quite the way it went down.  It is unclear whether Bradrick jettisoned Scott or vice versa.  It is possible Scott was pissed off by Peter's confrontation with Doug and public statement.  Peter may have been really disillusioned by Scott shielding Doug and the BoD's attitude to the law suit.  

This is just background to help people unfamiliar with the Fall of the Tool.  It is over 3 years ago, after all. Scroll on by if you aren't interested.  

From information we pieced together from various sources here (I hope others will correct this if I remember it wrong):

Word of Doug Phillips's pursuit, harassment, and molestation of Lourdes (parishioner and employee) gradually leaked out in BCA and VF inner circles after she told her parents and brother.  The parents had tried to intervene with Doug (and Beall) but he stonewalled and denied.  I'm not sure when Lourdes's father and brother (Andrew) pursued Doug with guns after they found him trying to climb in her window - but the pursuit was obvious and obviously unwanted.

Peter Bradrick and 4 other men confronted Doug with his sins in that Matthew 18 way of keeping everything private but wanting repentance.   These men were all part of Doug's inner circle but   Scott Brown was not part of that group of 5.  Doug went into a towering narcissistic rage and denied everything, shocking them all.  That is when Doug called Peter a Destroyer.  

Scott Brown was part of the Board of Vision Forum Ministries.  Some or all of those 5 men went to the BoD and increased the pressure.  Doug finally caved to the BoD and announced his resignation with his "I have sinned" message. The BoD liquidated VFM.  Doug liquidated VFI. BCA invoked church discipline.

Now public, the shit hit the VFM, VFI, and BCA revolving objects big time.  Everyone took sides.  The squabbles on FB were epic.  Bradrick eventually made a public statement against Doug on Facebook, now deleted.   He was viciously attacked by the pro-Doug faction.  

Bradrick and Kelly moved from the Brown plantation to WA, close to his family.  He started selling houses and went very quiet.  They seemed to be at odds with Scott and were dropped immediately from being featured speakers at his stupid marriage conferences.

@Palimpsest, great job with this summary.

Here is the text of Peter Bradrick's post-Tool-confrontation FB posts (all credit to the Homeschoolers Anonymous website):

Dear friends, after a long and weary season of business failure and more recently significant shock and disappointment regarding a very tender matter close to me, I am planning on going off Facebook and other public platforms for a season. This is motivated solely because I want to focus on my private life. However, I know this will be misinterpreted by many, particularly since there has been a troubling silence regarding a recent difficult public situation. Before I go “offline” there are things that I need to share. In the coming days and weeks I will be sharing my heart with my friends regarding some difficult things that need to be said. After which, I hope to transition to a season of life focused on a new direction in business, focused on personal spiritual growth, and focused on my precious wife and children.

I apologize to many of you who have reached out and contacted me in the past days and weeks, and to whom I have not responded. I ask for mercy and understanding knowing many of you will realize this is a VERY difficult time for me and my family. I am attempting to exercise discretion, and to faithfully exercise my limited duties in this recent situation. In line with that, I have been leery of talking to many of you to whom I owe calls, emails, texts and FB messages back to, because I am committed to not “feed the gossip mill”, or pass on dainty morsels. And just not talking has been one way I have attempted to walk a very difficult line in a very messy situation.

Greater knowledge brings with it greater responsibility, particularly for those who have had close relationships with those involved. I’ve attempted to only communicate with people that have reason to know at this point. Please be patient with me. I promise I still love and care for each of you, and hope that you will understand.

The past decade of my life has been defined by my close relationship with my mentor and former spiritual father. Those who know me recognize my longstanding, fierce commitment to his family, his work, and his legacy. As soon as I caught wind of what was going on, I became very involved in working towards fulfilling the duties of friendship and brotherhood – to confront a man who has been like a father to me for a third of my life and plead with him to truthfully confess, and to genuinely take responsibility for longstanding betrayal of everything we had fought together for with the hope of ultimate restoration.

Friends… truth and justice are mercy. Covering sin is not mercy. (Proverbs 28:13, “He who covers his sins will not prosper, But whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.”) This was the message of the men that joined me to go in person to plead with him. Men he’s called “bosom brothers”, son’s in the Lord, close friends, and a mentor of his. What for us was a tender, emotional, mission of mercy and plea for true repentance was met with something, and by someone I never could have imagined. Instead of being received as the “wounds of a friend” (Proverbs 27:6), I was formally disowned and declared to be a “destroyer” to my face.

There is no way to describe the soul crushing blow I was dealt that day and it’s overall impact on my life. It’s was like experiencing the scene from Braveheart… where William Wallace finds out he’s been betrayed by Robert the Bruce, over and over again. Walking away from that meeting, I couldn’t speak for hours I was so stunned. I am still physically, emotionally and spiritually broken and asking God to give me wisdom. I know many people are so very hurt and confused regarding what has transpired and my prayer for myself, my family, and everyone involved is that we look to Christ alone with hearts of love, mercy, and repentance seeking to root out the sin in our own lives. Galatians 6:1 Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted.

“For one thousand years, this principle has guided Western civilization. Simply stated, that principle is this: the groom dies for the bride, the strong suffer for the weak, and the highest expression of love is to give one’s life for another. The men aboard the Titanic recognized their duty because they had been raised in a culture that implicitly embraced such notions. Only by returning to these foundations can we ever hope to live in a society in which men will make the self-conscious decision to die so that women and children may live. This is the true legacy of the Titanic.” Douglas Phillips

When those who champion “women and children first” hide behind smooth words instead of “suffering for the weak”… When the strong take advantage of the weak, and then turn them out like so much garbage… When the strong seize the lifeboats and leave the weak drowning in the icy water… it leaves no choice for men of God other than to rise up and oppose them when they discover the truth. Woe to those that do not.

https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2013/11/30/peter-bradrick-former-executive-assistant-to-doug-phillips-speaks-out-on-being-formally-disowned-and-declared-to-be-a-destroyer/#comments

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is " a long and weary season of business failure" Peter mentions? is this Brandrick! the business going belly up?

Ah, so the "dainty morsels" post still exists. 

Regarding the Bradrick! business, I don't recall them actually doing any emergency response.   If they did, it couldn't have been very much.

Frankly, the whole business came across to me as a bunch of manly men beating their chests, in short all whole lotta talk and no action.  

19 hours ago, Howl said:

I have a different take on the supervised custody arrangement and this is in the Idle Speculation category.  If reprobate Peter has left the fold, even to the point of being an unbeliever, the supervised custody means that he can't ever discuss his current beliefs with his children.  Rather than being a supervisor, the person who is with Peter is there to function as the Thought Police for Christian Mental Purity. If so, this leaves Kelly remaining solidly in the Patriarchal camp as a True Believer. 

I hope, and I mean this sincerely, that she didn't find out by way of an STD.  One of the first things I did when I found out that my ex had left me for another woman was to pay a visit to Planned Parenthood for testing. All clear, phew!

But assuming Peter still wanted to see his kids, I doubt the judge would allow such a stringent visitation plan. Bradrick would be a heretic in the eyes of the Browns, but if he is sober, safe, and without any history of abuse, the judge wouldn't care. Most likely his new moderated beliefs would be closer to the judge's than the Browns'.

Maybe there would be some clause about not taking the kids to a church Kelly hadn't approved, but I doubt a father of six young children would be relegated to a Skype call every other week and couldn't even take his kids to the park by himself just because he stopped going to church and no longer believed BC was evil. 

I know of several divorces where one partner remained very religious and the other had fallen away or found a new religion, and in all cases the latter partner still received unsupervised visitation. There were negotiations over church going and keeping certain dietary rules, but the nonreligious partner having unsupervised visitation was never up for discussion.

This is why I'm guessing Bradrick is going along with the visitation plan. Either because he wants to wash his hands of all the responsibilities or because he feels guilt about being gay and believes it is sinful and could hurt his kids. 

17 hours ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

I bet Petey's wallet is wishing Kelly had that nursing degree now.  Maybe then, he would only be on the hook for child support. Btw, my step-dad paid $1200-1400 a month for one child. Yeah, I just can't find any sympathy for him right now. 

I have sympathy for Peter right now, but when I think of his nursing degree comment, I just want to snort and throw up my hands.

Yeah, Peter, why on earth would Kelly want to waste her time getting a degree for? What on earth could ever happen where she would need to have some income earning job skills? :my_dodgy:

10 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

I had to google that, being not from the US. It sounds like a good initiative. For anyone who has never heard of it either, here's a link: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-10-18/a-federal-program-pays-to-put-homemakers-to-work

If she wants to take advantage of it she had better do it now, before the GOP does away with the program.

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

What is " a long and weary season of business failure" Peter mentions? is this Brandrick! the business going belly up?

I don't remember Peter having a business prior to going to WA.  He had a very Manly Men website (name I forget) but seemed to go straight from Doug Phillips's side-kick at VF to work for Scotty as Director of Operations at NCFIC when he married Kelly.  He may have had a side-line business.  A lot of them do.

28 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

But assuming Peter still wanted to see his kids, I doubt the judge would allow such a stringent visitation plan. Bradrick would be a heretic in the eyes of the Browns, but if he is sober, safe, and without any history of abuse, the judge wouldn't care. Most likely his new moderated beliefs would be closer to the judge's than the Browns'.

Judge, nothing.  That agreement looks as though a "sober, safe, and without any history of abuse" Bradrick had a totally incompetent lawyer for him to end up with such limited visitation and such stringent supervision terms.  

I think he agreed to the terms without a fight.  Possibly because he isn't that invested in the kids, the distances involved, or because he feels extraordinarily guilty about what happened.  Also, for all we know she and her lawyer had Fundie witnesses lined up ready to testify that he had screwed an actual pooch - whether it was true or not.  That and overwhelming guilt - and Peter caves to everything Kelly wants.

Reading those FB posts again I'm still struck by the apparently genuine heartbreak in them over Doug's perfidy.  The ground was swept from under Bradrick's feet.  I've always really disliked Bradrick but he certainly stood up to Doug.  

When those who champion “women and children first” hide behind smooth words instead of “suffering for the weak”… When the strong take advantage of the weak, and then turn them out like so much garbage… When the strong seize the lifeboats and leave the weak drowning in the icy water… it leaves no choice for men of God other than to rise up and oppose them when they discover the truth. Woe to those that do not.

In my opinion, Peter thinks he is facing the music, taking his lumps, agreeing to his punishment, whatever.  Men of God have "risen up to oppose him" when they discovered the truth.  He is better than Doug because he's not "hiding behind smooth words."  He is admitting to" taking advantage of the weak" and treating Kelly like "so much garbage" and will pay for his sins.

Well, that is my theory today.  I may change my mind tomorrow.

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

This is why I'm guessing Bradrick is going along with the visitation plan. Either because he wants to wash his hands of all the responsibilities or because he feels guilt about being gay and believes it is sinful and could hurt his kids. 

Regarding the bolded, I think it's very possible that as much as Peter may love his kids and wants to have a relationship with them, he may have found trying to make it in the real world too overwhelming.   He may realize how limited he is now with his lack of real education and job experience.  Add to the mix an outraged wife and family who seem to be the ones asking for the visitation arrangement and probably have greater financial backing, including a better lawyer.   He might be going along not because of lack of caring / connection to his kids or shame over his orientation but because too much is stacked against him and he knows it.

I am talking from a financial/economical standpoint here including the resources to legally fight back.

Darn it, I don't check FJ  for a couple of days and miss out on seeing all the documents. The links won't open for me.  Did anybody screen grab it?

Is there concrete evidence that Peter Bradrick is gay/bi? I've seen some people say so with certainty and you can surely read between the lines, but it sounds more like speculation to me.

@Mrs. Bean I believe @MamaJunebug has screen grabs. 

I'm a bit new to this sphere of QoS, but my first reaction to recent developments was how utterly, devastatingly, toe-curlingly humiliating the public relevation of her marital affairs must be for Kelly. 

I thought that the document mentioning supervised visitation was just a form for the shared parenting. It was signed off by Peter and Kelly but I saw no other signatures so surely this means that it still has to be agreed by the judge. Or does the judge not have to authorise it? I truly believe that regardless of what the judge says both sides will still go through with this shared visitation idea, as in the form there was a box ticked saying they both agreed to this.

Also what was interesting is how there was a list of approved supervisors for the visitation. Surely if there was an actual risk to the children they'd rather have a more appropriate supervisor. It does all seem awfully biased to me.

And @Palimpsest was that one of the allegations made against Bradrick about screwing a dog? Given the whole strangeness over the visitation for the children and the potential animosity to Bradrick within the community I wouldn't be too believing of that allegation myself.

5 minutes ago, FrumperedCat said:

And @Palimpsest was that one of the allegations made against Bradrick about screwing a dog?

No!  Per my original source - bestiality was not mentioned. 

However, the FSM only knows how and where this story has morphed in the retelling.  And will morph!  

Games of telephone ... and this shows how dangerous even glancing references can be. The FSM only knows the truth.

Many thanks for asking so I could clarify.

40 minutes ago, Stormy said:

Is there concrete evidence that Peter Bradrick is gay/bi? I've seen some people say so with certainty and you can surely read between the lines, but it sounds more like speculation to me.

Nope, nothing is certain.  Nothing is ever concrete. As with everything - use your own judgement as to the veracity of anything.  It is the internet.

I suppose I put the gay/bi theory out there.  I really try to avoid idle speculation. I've practically been standing on my head to be incredibly careful about all of this.

I sat on a bit of  info until the divorce papers seemed to confirm some things I had been told.  I posted very carefully and with a lot of disclaimers.  I have not said anything is absolute truth.  Everything is filtered through a game of telephone.

I happen to trust my source, but you have no reason to trust me.  My source is someone I consider to be a confirmed and trustworthy insider who heard a rumor or two.  Others have heard the same rumors or three. 

I have not stated rumor as fact.  Make up your own mind about what to believe.

Peter & Kelly & their kids are poster children for the failure of "god's system". 

If Peter is gay, or bi, or whatever - he lived in a world where it wasn't allowed. It wasn't possible. He probably lived a life of self loathing. That is sad, pathetic and dangerous.

Kelly was raised & brainwashed to be exactly what her father thought a female should be. Uneducated, unopinionated, 'strong' in her support of the men in her life, a breeder.

The two of them were forced together without choice. Sure, they had a 'choice' in the literal sense, but neither knew they had a real choice and neither knew they have every right in the world to be autonomous people with their very own goals, dreams, values and beliefs. They were literally uneducated, brainwashed children pushed into adult, mature responsibilities - breed. 

Clearly, both also learned their assigned paths in life were nothing but a bill of goods to make money and attention for others. Neither was or is capable of dealing with that. 

I have sympathy for both; sadness for both; nothing but fear for both. 

They are both in religiously controlled worlds where they conform or lose everything. Even if it's true and Peter did sneak around and have sex with men and women, I don't doubt a lot of it was because he felt 'free' from one set of rules, but still kept it all secret because the ultimate rules were still binding. His family? What does one do when they know their very existence is something their family finds deplorable? 

The emotional mess of this whole scenario goes to every level in every way.

Both Peter & Kelly were used, sold a bill of goods, lied to, manipulated; fucked in their own damn heads. 

Now, they both still are, and so are their six children. 

I doubt, sincerely, that either has a clue how to co parent or do what's best for those kids; they both have religious dogma to adhere to; emotions to cover up and ignore. 

In the end, this whole SAHD shit screws every last person, not just the daughter. 

There are six babies whose lives have been torn apart and will forever be torn apart; really, if they're in Scottie's fold, they're not getting a loving image of their father. They're not being protected from personal hatred or emotions. 

How many people do any of us know who are divorced and part of that situation is to not badmouth the other parent? To co parent in the best interest of the kid, no matter what? For all the horror stories we hear, I bet we all know more who actually do what's best for the kid(s) rather than revenge or emotion. That's what most should strive for, and I think do.

Except in the worlds they grew up in. I can't imagine Kelly or Peter being capable - or allowed - to be good co-parents. Someone has to be 'right' and win and get the kids into their cult. 

Reading Peter's FB post about DPIAT, makes me feel that he probably is giving Kelly whatever she wants regarding the children out of guilt and because of his sad "biblical" views that he has sinned. For what it is worth, I think Peter is a better human than DPIAT. IF he is gay or bi, it is sad he wasn't and most likely still isn't, allowed to be his true self.  Actually, I find it heartbreaking.  Everyone deserves to be loved, celebrated and accepted by their family, he was robbed of that. 

Also, reading him compare himself to William Wallace made me think about JesusFightClub.  She disappeared while I was on a long hiatus.  I wonder what happened. 

Under the Baptist umbrella there are different theologies. Not all Baptist churches accept all five points of Calvinism - T.U.L.I.P. Arguing and church splits occur; professors have been fired from Baptist colleges when opinions differ.

I was responding to Nausicaa 's comment, "Not to get too sidetracked on theology, but I don't really get how the Calvinist idea of the elect squares with the Baptist emphasis on evangelism and theology of anyone being able to be saved. (Not doubting the truth of what you're saying, it just doesn't make sense to me.)" 

Sorry I did't post correctly.

@Palimpsest, can you tell us how the secret of Peter's double life came out? Was he caught with his pants down? If you don't feel like sharing this info, I do understand 100 %.

19 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Reading those FB posts again I'm still struck by the apparently genuine heartbreak in them over Doug's perfidy.  The ground was swept from under Bradrick's feet.  I've always really disliked Bradrick but he certainly stood up to Doug.  

In my unwise softheartedness, I actually began to like Peter, I now realize. But looking at the overall situation, while all of them are victims, it was Peter who could have invoked his husbandly authority and discouraged Kelly from going along on the European tour right after giving birth. That's the trip where she fell ill and probably would have died if not for the life flight (and the ministrations of a socialized medicine establishment).

i've been hanging out with my friends who read mysteries too much, but I even started to wonder if Peter – – consciously or otherwise – – encouraged her to go along, hoping something might happen. Too much, I know! But one's mind starts to get ... creative.

I'm 

I never cared for Bradrick! either but I did give him credit for several things:

1.  Standing up to DPIAT

2.  I interpreted his move cross country shortly afterward as getting away from Scottie, which must have been hard for Kelly but Peter had to have been majorly pissed off at him.     Scottie was not only Kelly's father but the family was dependent on him.

3. Then resurfacing as a real estate agent.   Took it to mean he was making an effort to do something in the real world and support his family rather than be sitting around doing nothing or trying to grift his way through, something that many of our fundie patriarchs like to do. 

This doesn't make him a likeable person or even all that noble, but it does indicate some principles in some areas at least.    It doesn't preclude that he can behave badly / make bad choices in other areas.

20 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

Regarding the bolded, I think it's very possible that as much as Peter .........  may have found trying to make it in the real world too overwhelming.   He may realize how limited he is now with his lack of real education and job experience.  Add to the mix an outraged wife and family who ......:: have greater financial backing, including a better lawyer.   He might be going along ..... because too much is stacked against him and he knows it.

My sense of Peter right now is a crushed individual. In the DougWP Is A Tool world, he was a big man for things like intimidating a middle-aged woman at a VF event,* and for feeding DougWP the names of people to call to ring the Liberty Bell at a VF event.**

On the hazardous, manly journeys, He was the glad-handing "logistics" man --- whose grand gestures in a small plane discomfited  seated passengers (non-members of the manly crew) and drew glares. (He was wearing his huge backpack as he high-fived around the aisle.)***

On the NCFIC gospel (tm) tour of North America, he was the big man sermonizing to congregations he called "my children" and after the trip, the man to whom Scottie Brown looked adoringly as he led the tour personnel in a rousing rendition of his own family's song.****

Then he was a big man for thinking up BRADRICK!, where his scowling face was the trademark for "emergency response and family protection!"

Meanwhile he had been a big man (?) who couldn't provide his wife and 3 or 4 kids a house with a working water heater -- and who never thought to carry the water to be heated. He let Kelly do that while he wrote about it, and he was admired for it. 

Then the ground gave way and there was no VF. And then the NCFIC ground gave way ....

.... and he wound up selling real estate. 

Casting NO ASPERSIONS on RE agents and realtors. But the trade is two things among many: a cutthroat business and a business of great potential where many people with insufficient training and job skills go to try something, anything. 

He did okay, apparently, but it's hard work. And there are never laurels to rest upon. It's always what you can do *now.* And the knives are always out. If it's not a competitor trying to horn in on you, it's your clients looking to do a commission-dectomy on the percentage you are owed. 

This is not what the prime-minister-elect of the Dominionist Union Of VF/NCFIC America was promised!    And in all this stress, the once-submissive wife is worn slick with 6 kids under 9, and dammit there are those feelings for that cute man over there and double-dammit, that woman who likes rangy gingers is hitting on him again and .... 

He gets found out.

TL;DR -- I suspect Peter's as beaten-down -- mentally if not physically -- as any person can be, who was raised in a bubble of adoration and then jettisoned out into a very different real world.

Beaten down emotionally as his natural inclinations, long suppressed, have been finally fulfilled and then revealed and now the source of a dozen brickbats wielded to tell him EXACTLY how it's going to be. 

And it's never ever going to be the fat, fine life of the alphabet soup of his youth. 

I would get close to wondering if he's even having a psychotic break IF I knew for sure what that was. 

But I imagine at this point he's probably grateful not to have to put on a brave face for 6 confused and cloistered little children any oftener than the agreement stipulates. 

Dominionism And Patriarchy Kill The Spirit If Not The Body. Let this be known far & wide. 

~~~~~~~

* Jen Epstein, San Antonio, her report

** VF Faith & Freedom (?) Tour, Philadelphia 

*** Amazon trip B-roll video, IIRC

**** Gospel Tour website video. Song actually had a catchy if militaristic tune. It went, "Cheer up, ye sons and daughters / there's nothing to worry about / you'll be sorry you worried at all / in the morning." 

~~~~~

Of course except for the Epstein chronicles, none of these sources likely survive on teh webz.

@MamaJunebug Brava!  You summarized my feelings on Bradrick! exactly.

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

Then he was a big man for thinking up BRADRICK!, where his scowling face was the trademark for "emergency response and family protection!"

As a trained storm spotter, I shook my head at his "band of manly men" emergency response organization.  I didn't  think these guys really know what to do in an emergency, such as the aftermath of a tornado.   Having been through one myself (one paid a visit to my neighborhood in 2015) law enforcement locked down and patrolled the more damaged areas (no deaths or injuries btw, but still left a big mess).   People like Peter and his band showing up might be surprised to find they are not allowed in or if they got in, not welcome because hell, nobody would know who they are or their organization.   People will side eye folks that they do not know who show up to "help".  I know that may not apply to all such situations, but it was made very clear by our law enforcement for folks who were not in the damaged area or who were not friends / family of those affected to stay the hell out.  The Bradrick! boys would have been one of them.

Not that I don't think such an organization could be effective, but in order to do so, I think they would need to work in collaboration with local law enforcement, fire department, EMTs, etc.   It would involve training, perhaps from those ebil gubmint entities, and official certification such as CPR certification for example.  I didn't see anything that indicated they did that, perhaps certain individuals were certified in something but it didn't seem to be as a group.   I got the impression that they thought they could show up and everyone would get on their knees in gratitude, exclaiming "thank the Maker, Bradrick! is here".  Um, no.

I never thought they did much, if anything.  Perhaps they tried only to run into resistance.  Who knows.   Maybe if things were bad enough such as after Katrina or Joplin for example they might be welcome only because the communities would need all the help they could get.  But I don't think Peter, living  in his sheltered VF bubble, could fathom what he would see in the grisly aftermath of such horrific events.  The organization was the brainchild of someone who had no idea and could do potentially more harm than good.

I do remember the promotional video for BRADRICK!. Unfortunately it is probably nowhere to be seen anymore. Manchild Taylor Tsantles (or Peter himself, can't remember clearly anymore) was walking with a chainsaw along a street littered with fallen trees and branches. To add some drama, it was filmed in a blueish tone and slow-motion. There was also a scene from someone's basement where a group of manly men, including baby faced Mr. David Brown, studied a neighbourhood map and nodded their heads.

And who could forget @twin2 sending various help requests to BRADRICK!

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived