IGNORED

Fundy Walk of Shame: Scandals and Crimes

Bethella

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I thought about posting in the Harris Brothers archived board but I wasn't sure if I should bump such old topics - quick question - How is Brantley related to Josh Harris? Is he a nephew? It seems like Josh Harris was involved with the Soverign Grace Ministries cover up too?

tl;dr I need a Harris family tree. I read all the topics in the archive board but I don't know how these people are all connected. 

I don't follow either of them but as far as I know there's no relationship at all. Brantley uses his middle name Harris (probably because of the notoriety associated with his birth name Brantley Disharoon). Josh Harris has three brothers: Alex, Brett, and Joel. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Bethella said:

I don't follow either of them but as far as I know there's no relationship at all. Brantley uses his middle name Harris (probably because of the notoriety associated with his birth name Brantley Disharoon). Josh Harris has three brothers: Alex, Brett, and Joel. 

Is Brantley's topic being under the Harris board a mistake then? Josh Harris apparently is from a family of 7 siblings, I thought maybe one of his sister's was Brantley's mother? 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Is Brantley's topic being under the Harris board a mistake then? Josh Harris apparently is from a family of 7 siblings, I thought maybe one of his sister's was Brantley's mother? 

Josh Harris is the oldest child.  According to Wikipedia (may not be accurate or up to date) the three youngest children live in Oregon and are Sarah, Isaac, and James.  I think Sarah is way too young to be Brantley's mother but I don't have a birth date for her.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I think Sarah is way too young to be Brantley's mother but I don't have a birth date for her.

She's not. His mother's name is Susan and she's probably in her late 40s or early 50s.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Probably it's a mistake

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2017 at 9:01 AM, Palimpsest said:

Josh Harris is the oldest child.  According to Wikipedia (may not be accurate or up to date) the three youngest children live in Oregon and are Sarah, Isaac, and James.  I think Sarah is way too young to be Brantley's mother but I don't have a birth date for her.

Yeah, she's way too young. I don't know her birth date either, but she's in her twenties.

• 3 weeks later...

And now we come to Oklahoma State Senator Ralph Shortey, married to his childhood sweetheart, two kids, attended Heartland Baptist Bible College in Oklahoma City in preparation for mission work in Uganda (but ultimately decided against life as a missionary).  Birther (remember them?),  ardent Trump leg humper,  strong supporter of anti-LGBT legislation and pedophile who has been charged with the following after being caught in a Motel 8 room with an underage boy: 

• engaging in child prostitution
  • transporting a minor for prostitution
  • engaging in prostitution within 1,000 feet of church

His bail is set at $100,000

• Upvote 2

I googled Ralph Shortey and he's a member of the Rosebud Sioux tribe. I guess it shows that all men, regardless of race or ethnicity, can aspire to be hypocritical "family values" fundie politicians. When I read articles about Shortey, I was also reminded of the "dead girl - live boy" dichotomy. If it had been a (live) girl caught with Shortey, I wonder if he would have blamed her for "seducing" him. For all we know, that could be his plan for his current predicament.

• Upvote 5

Another Heartland Baptist Bible College alum just got sentenced in Bellingham, WA, for child rape. Christopher Trent  was a youth pastor, and married father of seven, when he started grooming a twelve year old whom he eventually abused at least 100 times and called his "sex slave," in between promising to marry her on the beach when she turned 18. Fellow Heartland alum Josh Carter, the pastor who recruited him, had fired him but didn't notify police when the relationship was exposed a year ago.

kgmi.com/news/007700-bellingham-youth-pastor-sentenced-for-child-rape/

• Upvote 3

I'm going to add Savilla and Daniel Stoltzfus and Lee Kaplan

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

I searched for any info on the Stockdale family and found nothing on FJ. Maybe I'll make a thread. They seem to be a small fundie family who was on wife swap and have a family blue grass band. 

Their third son shot and killed their fourth son and the mother and killed her too. He shot himself but is in the hospital. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4

Kathryn Joyce has written a stunning article on the Donn Ketcham case. As a caution, there may be triggering materials at both links.

Summary: Ketcham preyed on missionary kids using his position as a Baptist missionary doctor, primarily in the Bangladesh mission field. After a victim reported him, the responsible mission authorities at the Association of Baptist World Evangelism (ABWE) banned Ketcham from the mission but allowed him to go back to MI. The ABWE also did not report him to police or to the state agency that licenses doctors. Much more at the Joyce article link.

• Upvote 9

On 6/21/2017 at 4:44 AM, hoipolloi said:

Kathryn Joyce has written a stunning article on the Donn Ketcham case. As a caution, there may be triggering materials at both links.

Summary: Ketcham preyed on missionary kids using his position as a Baptist missionary doctor, primarily in the Bangladesh mission field. After a victim reported him, the responsible mission authorities at the Association of Baptist World Evangelism (ABWE) banned Ketcham from the mission but allowed him to go back to MI. The ABWE also did not report him to police or to the state agency that licenses doctors. Much more at the Joyce article link.

I have been following this case since its beginning. When ABWE sent a letter of confession and apology several years ago to churches who financially support them, I asked a pastor of my church to be shown the letter. His immediate response was, "How did you know about this?" He wanted to continue to keep it hush-hush. I later learned that the letter was finally read in an evening service, but I was not there that evening. I again asked to see the letter. I was told it was for members only who were there that night. I am a member but was still not allowed to see the letter. I wanted to know what ABWE wrote to us.

This cover-up put many trusting souls at risk when the real reason Ketcham was sent home was kept secret. and, personally, it undermined my faith in a person and an organization who/that I had held in very high esteem. That is gone now.

• Upvote 14

2 hours ago, jojo said:

His immediate response was, "How did you know about this?" He wanted to continue to keep it hush-hush.

What is WRONG with these people? I read through some of the comprehensive investigative report on Ketcham and he was repeatedly allowed to get away with serious abuse for decades. His coworkers in medicine & others in the mission constantly reported his questionable actions to the ABWE hierarchy who just kept turning their heads, maybe issuing a slap on the wrist now and then. Appalling & sickening. Hope there's a special place in hell for the ABWE cover up crew.

• Upvote 8

• 2 weeks later...

In a not-too-unbelievable sequel to this 2014 photo essay on purity balls, one of the fathers pictured, Jodi Heckert, has been arrested, convicted and imprisoned for molesting his daughter.

As a side note, the man who's written the update on Heckert is a former evangelical preacher who's now a humanist & atheist.

• Upvote 11

On 01/07/2017 at 9:49 PM, hoipolloi said:

In a not-too-unbelievable sequel to this 2014 photo essay on purity balls, one of the fathers pictured, Jodi Heckert, has been arrested, convicted and imprisoned for molesting his daughter.

Bloody hell.  As you say, perhaps not the biggest surprise, as someone who's seen the photos in huge prints in shows...

ETA from the article - I 100% agree with this quote:

As a photographer, I found Magnusson’s work to be stunning (and creepily disturbing), but I do wonder, based on several of his quotes in the article, if Magnusson really understands the American purity culture.

Edited by Lurky
  • Upvote 8

On 6/23/2017 at 1:49 PM, hoipolloi said:

What is WRONG with these people? I read through some of the comprehensive investigative report on Ketcham and he was repeatedly allowed to get away with serious abuse for decades.

It is not only the ABWE that engaged in cover ups.  Many different evangelical missions have historically covered up physical and sexual abuse so there is a whole advocacy and support group for survivors.  More info here: http://www.mksafetynet.org/  And there links to some final investigation reports here: http://www.mksafetynet.org/  TRIGGER WARNINGS for all.

So, yes, the ABWE investigators will need to make space in Hell for folk from the Christian Missionary Alliance (CMA) for Mamou, New Tribes, (one of the worst with major problems in mission schools in several countries), Presbyterian Church USA, United Methodist Church USA, SIM (several charges of abuse in their boarding schools) - and the list goes on.

Makes me sick.

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

It is not only the ABWE that engaged in cover ups.  Many different evangelical missions have historically covered up physical and sexual abuse so there is a whole advocacy and support group for survivors.  More info here: http://www.mksafetynet.org/  And there links to some final investigation reports here: http://www.mksafetynet.org/  TRIGGER WARNINGS for all.

So, yes, the ABWE investigators will need to make space in Hell for folk from the Christian Missionary Alliance (CMA) for Mamou, New Tribes, (one of the worst with major problems in mission schools in several countries), Presbyterian Church USA, United Methodist Church USA, SIM (several charges of abuse in their boarding schools) - and the list goes on.

Makes me sick.

Yes. I am still puzzled why ABWE and Bob Jones both fired G.R.A.C.E. when they were close to the final reports. Others  were hired and it all was revealed anyway. I believe all must be out in the open. Hiding makes it worse and leads to lack of trust and honesty.

• Upvote 7

20 hours ago, jojo said:

Yes. I am still puzzled why ABWE and Bob Jones both fired G.R.A.C.E. when they were close to the final reports. Others  were hired and it all was revealed anyway. I believe all must be out in the open. Hiding makes it worse and leads to lack of trust and honesty.

I've wondered about that too.  My guess is that ABWE (at least and probably Bob Jones too) knew the abuse had happened and was inevitably going to be made public.  However, they wanted the survivors to go away, to exhaust them both emotionally and financially, and to stop them from pursuing that pesky little child abuse issue.  

By firing G.R.A.C.E. ABWE cold-bloodedly subjected the survivors to further trauma in that they were forced to repeat all their testimony to the new investigators.  ABWE had played games with G.R.A.C.E. already by refusing documentation and relevant information.    A very nasty delaying tactic, and absolutely NO sense of genuine remorse when they fired G.R.A.C.E. and replaced them with PII.

A different mission board, but SIM did at one point issue an "apology" for the documented abuse in their missionary kid schools.  I'll try to find it again.  Had I been abused in one of their boarding schools I would have found the "apology" sadly lacking.  It all stank to high heaven.

• Upvote 8

MODS: I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this article or if linking is allowed. If not please delete/modify as appropriate.

I read this article: https://newrepublic.com/article/142999/silence-lambs-protestants-concealing-catholic-size-sexual-abuse-scandal

This is about yet another fundy group involved in abuse/covering up abuse. Doug Phillips/Gothard/Josh Duggar are mentioned.

• Upvote 6

All good, but I took the liberty of amending the topic. It said"...abuse in the FUNNY community". I gathered you meant "fundy", and amended.

• Upvote 8

57 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

All good, but I took the liberty of amending the topic. It said"...abuse in the FUNNY community". I gathered you meant "fundy", and amended.

yikes thanks for fixing that typo

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan unpinned and locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unlocked and locked this topic