IGNORED

Fundy Walk of Shame: Scandals and Crimes

Bethella

On 20/3/2017 at 10:58 PM, Palimpsest said:

I would like a separate category for the people who preach vicious stuff but have never been convicted (like Nancy Campbell and Michael Pearl) but can live without it.

I dunno re Michael Pearl.  He never ended up in court (that I know of) but personally I think he is at very least morally responsible for murders and abuses. I get that there's freedom of speech but he shouldn't be free of the consequences of the horrors he spewed. IMHO he should be in the list with the convicted criminals.

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Would Rep Justin Harris (Arkansas House of Representatives) have a place on the list? He thought his adopted daughters were possessed by demons, performed exorcism and then rehomed them with a man who raped one of them.

Unfortunately I don't think were any consequences for Harris as revoking not illegal so not sure if he 'qualifies'.

There's an fj thread on it but I don't know how to link to it.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

David Kingston convicted of rape

Daniel Kingston Convicted of child abuse 

Jesse Kingston Criminal Incest

Hyrum Kingston Criminal Incest

Jason Kingston Criminal Incest

Joe Kingston (Fat joe) Criminal Incest

• Upvote 3

Fell down the Sovereign Grace rabbit hole (I didn't know about half of the things on this list so I'll be here a while) but this comment from a church elder stuck out to me and really does sum up the problems with fundamentalism.

"“He was not attracted to his 11-year-old daughter but rather to the ‘woman’ she ‘was becoming.’ "

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1

Also, (I would've just edited my previous post but I missed the time window) This Priscilla Bittner case is...odd. I'm kind of baffled by it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Fell down the Sovereign Grace rabbit hole (I didn't know about half of the things on this list so I'll be here a while) but this comment from a church elder stuck out to me and really does sum up the problems with fundamentalism.

"“He was not attracted to his 11-year-old daughter but rather to the ‘woman’ she ‘was becoming.’ "

This is so sick and disgusting and yet they always find a way to somehow make their actions sound "right". At least in their ears.

• Upvote 8

12 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

Would Rep Justin Harris (Arkansas House of Representatives) have a place on the list? He thought his adopted daughters were possessed by demons, performed exorcism and then rehomed them with a man who raped one of them.

Unfortunately I don't think were any consequences for Harris as revoking not illegal so not sure if he 'qualifies'.

That was a complete clusterfuck. http://abcnews.go.com/US/young-girls-arkansas-state-official-center-adoption-controversy/story?id=34636997

• Upvote 3

On 3/28/2017 at 5:48 AM, amazing707 said:

David Kingston convicted of rape

Daniel Kingston Convicted of child abuse 

Jesse Kingston Criminal Incest

Hyrum Kingston Criminal Incest

Jason Kingston Criminal Incest

Joe Kingston (Fat joe) Criminal Incest

Daniel Kingston - convicted of severely abusing one of his daughters with his second wife, Susie (Daniel's half-sister), after she ran away from an arranged marriage with her uncle. Two daughters with his sixth wife, Heidi, alleged physical abuse at his hands. Daniel and Heidi's parental rights were ultimately terminated for the two girls, though they regained custody of the other children. I don't believe he was ever charged for that abuse though.

Arlen Kingston - accused of sexually abusing one of his nieces. Also accused of making death threats against law enforcement and planning to abduct the children of Daniel Kingston who were in protective custody. I don't think charges were ever brought against him.

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/jun/04/news/mn-44037

http://kingstonclan.com/news

http://kingstonclan.com/

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/600149545/Another-investigation-of-sexual-abuse-enters-Kingston-case.html

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/utah/ci_2559572

(Fair warning - it's not pretty reading. At all. How the courts justified sending the other kids back is beyond me. The clan must have paid them very well. :cry:)

*The names of the kids mentioned are easy enough to find. I left them out though because I didn't feel quite right identifying them.

• Upvote 5

This is all so incredibly sad but enlightening as all f. I only knew about a third of these so it has been a massive eyeopener! I need a wine.....

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2017 at 3:44 PM, Palimpsest said:

I love how 20/20 chose to quote the Harris' and their lack of respect for the letter G. :pb_lol:

"We're not sleepin'. We're at our wits' end. We've done all this counselin'. And nothing is gettin' better."

• Upvote 7

Bob Gray of Jacksonville FL- http://stopbaptistpredators.org/scandals/trinity

I want to mention two others but I can't find any neutral sources, so I am stopping there. 

Edit-

Found one of them:

Russell Hirner- former principal of Longview Baptist Academy molested at least seven young girls, all in his own Kilgore, Texas, home, while serving as principal of one of the two Christian schools operated by Longview Baptist Temple. Doe v. Longview Baptist Temple, Russell Hirner, and Robert Gray. The case was settled for a confidential amount. http://www.myplainview.com/news/article/Ex-principal-guilty-of-sexual-abuse-sentenced-to-8652938.php

I believe that the parents of the victims weren't members so they weren't under Bob Gray's (TX) control.

In the second situation I am aware of, all involved were members so problems were just moved on quietly. It was different from most in that it was a female perpetrator and that, allegedly, her sick,twisted sexuality continued on into oversight of her daughter's (who was a result of the original situation) sexual relationships.

Edited by nolongerIFBx
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Bethella said:

Do you know what happened to the Trinity Baptist lawsuit?

Bob Gray died before the case went to trial.  I don't think Tom Messer or TBC were ever formally charged with the cover-up.  

Correction: 7 civil suits were filed.  They seem to have all been dismissed because of the SOL.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 3

Yes Justin Harris most certainly does belong on this list. He faced no legal or professional consequences for the things he and his wife chose to do to those girls. He did "choose" not to run for another term though.

As an aside, Stacy Zimmerman - the juvenile court judge who approved the Harris adoption - also ordered the police report revealing Josh Duggar's sexual misdeeds.

Zimmerman has been a juvenile court judge for 20 plus years.
  • Upvote 4

Reading all of these really puts into perspective how broad "fundie" is. That guy who killed his first wife has shirtless photos with his 2nd, and I can't picture Mega fundies families like the Duggars, Bates, ect doing something like that. 

(Sorry I'm essentially using this topic to think aloud, all the other topics are in the archived board. lol)

• Upvote 2

On 3/26/2017 at 2:09 PM, Mudgie said:

Priscilla Bittner

I forgot about her. Never knew what came of her case but she got married & had a baby rather quickly after her fiasco. 

Now she's apparently divorced  - going by her maiden name on FB and a few things I've read in the last couple of years indicate just that. Color me shocked. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I forgot about her. Never knew what came of her case but she got married & had a baby rather quickly after her fiasco. 

She entered a guilty plea and got 10 years probation and time-served (eight months in county jail.)

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/08/woman_admits_using_two_childre.html

It was an odd case and, as Priscilla herself was apparently also a victim, I'm not sure it belongs here.  The judge may have taken her history into account when it came to her sentence.  We had an angry "insider" talk about it on this thread, FWIW.

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

as Priscilla herself was apparently also a victim, I'm not sure it belongs here.

She is currently on the list. I lean towards leaving her on the list because she did plead guilty, although I could maybe see moving it down to listing her as Priscilla B. instead of her full name like I did for Brantley (who was a minor and wasn't convicted).

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bethella said:

I could maybe see moving it down to listing her as Priscilla B. instead of her full name like I did for Brantley (who was a minor and wasn't convicted).

I would agree with that.  Although I'm going to argue against myself and point out that she was 19 and technically not a minor when this happened.  Others who followed the story more closely might disagree.  

My feeling is that there is a background of rape, she was sent to a "Christian Reform School," and the sentence seems very lenient, so it seems to me that the judge saw extenuating circumstances. She was not (apparently) ever put on a sexual offenders list, she was very young and troubled, and I hope she is putting her life back together.

It is a weird story all around but not using her full name and keeping her on the list sounds like a decent solution.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

It is a weird story all around 

Agree, out of any topic we've ever discussed here, this is the one I would most like to get the full story on. She actually has two kids now. I hope for everyone's sake she's gotten an intense amount of therapy.

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Agree, out of any topic we've ever discussed here, this is the one I would most like to get the full story on. She actually has two kids now. I hope for everyone's sake she's gotten an intense amount of therapy.

ITA on the therapy.  You have obviously followed more closely. Are you also in agreement with keeping her full name out of this?  Especially if she has 2 kids.  Didn't she join the army or am I confusing her with someone else?

• Upvote 1

She was working on base as a contractor before kid #1, which is where she met her ex-husband, who is in the army. They split after the first baby, but I'm pretty sure the second baby is his too. I agree that her name should probably be left out given the ambiguity of the situation. Tangentially related, I'm sort of shocked that Jacqueline hasn't had a baby yet after almost 2 years of marriage, but she seems to have taken over as mother figure for her youngest sister who was only a wee thing when their mom died. The family is tragic and fascinating.

• Upvote 1

Bethella, thank you for creating and maintaining this list! It is really something to see it all in one spot. 

Relatively minor note: For Steven Sitler, the correct spelling is "Sitler," not Stitler. 

• Upvote 6

21 hours ago, libriatrix said:

Relatively minor note: For Steven Sitler, the correct spelling is "Sitler," not Stitler. 

Thank you for that!  For whatever reason, I always want to add a letter to both Sitler and Wight (I always google "Jamin Wright." For Sitler, I seem to prefer "Stitler," though occasionally my subconscious types "Shitler").  I typed up all that about Steven without even noticing...of course, after the editing period had passed, I noticed. Perfect timing, as usual.  :my_dodgy:

Edited by amandaaries
  • Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan unpinned and locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unlocked and locked this topic