• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Bethella

Fundy Walk of Shame: Scandals and Crimes

Wine time!
Snarkasarus Rex
5 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

It is sad that I am actually impressed that this particular IFB church actually reported the pastor to appropriate authorities instead of attempting a cover-up, forgiving him, blaming the victims, and transferring the predator to another church.

Perhaps some of them are finally learning.

Eh, I doubt it.  Ten bucks says they only reported him because he was molesting boys.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Wine time!
47of74

Marmion
On 8/28/2019 at 1:42 PM, 47of74 said:

Oh wow !  I am just awestruck by this development . I had known of his past controversy , and infidelity , but this is the first I had ever heard of him having homoerotic inclination . Furthermore ,  Rick Joyner knew of this too .  https://reformationcharlotte.org/2019/08/26/rick-joyner-admits-he-knew-todd-bentley-practiced-sexual-immorality/   For those who might not be familiar with who these men are , they are prominent figures in Joel's Army  .  https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2008/todd-bentley’s-militant-joel’s-army-gains-followers-florida   ,  http://www.talk2action.org/story/2011/4/5/141110/1743  

Wine time!
47of74

Ugh.

Prosecutors on Thursday unsuccessfully tried to persuade a judge to jail Paxton Singer, the former Harvest Bible Chapel youth minister on trial on charges of sexual exploitation of a child and disorderly conduct.

They filed a petition to revoke his bond shortly before Singer's trial resumed in Kane County, saying the Sugar Grove man had sent a text message to a 16-year-old "uncharged victim" who may testify he received similar sexually oriented texts as the victim in the case.

Prosecutors said the mother of the witness called a Child Advocacy Center investigator late Friday afternoon to say her son had received a text from Singer.

Schmidt acknowledged prosecutors don't have the text message.

Judge Michael Noland denied prosecutors' request because of insufficient evidence. But he said he is willing to reconsider the matter if the state's attorney's office can provide the message.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 2

Sicily

I haven't been through this whole thread, so I could be repeating something that's already been said, but for me what springs to mind is the Turpin case, and the severe abuse of all those poor kids by the parents.

Tired
Palimpsest
48 minutes ago, Sicily said:

the Turpin case, and the severe abuse of all those poor kids by the parents.

That was truly horrible.  We don't seem to have them on the summary on page 1, but we try to restrict the list to Fundies.  Otherwise it will get too long.

Although they had Pentecostalist and QF leanings I don't think the Turpins bred and tortured their children in the name of religion.

@Bethella, will know if the Turpins don't make the cut because they don't seem Fundie enough.  TIA, Bethella.

Bethella

@Sicily @Palimpsest, we had never really talked about adding them to the list but I would agree that they weren’t fundie enough. But I’m up for debate if you want to persuade me otherwise.

Tired
Palimpsest

@Bethella, I'd vote no to including the Turpins.  Wicked, weird, evil, but not Fundie enough.  Others may differ and I would be fine either way.

Bethella
1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

I'm way behind on reading threads but I didn't find any results talking about the family when I searched. Is there any indication that they're fundy?

AussieKrissy
12 minutes ago, Bethella said:

I'm way behind on reading threads but I didn't find any results talking about the family when I searched. Is there any indication that they're fundy?

No there is not, but it would not surprise me 

Marmion
20 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Here's more detailed information I found .  https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/celebrity/an-author-was-accused-of-abandoning-her-adopted-11-year-old-but-she-says-the-kid-e2-80-99s-actually-an-e2-80-9cadult-sociopath-e2-80-9d/ar-AAHrw3s   Although this might seem absurd , and outrageous , this actually wouldn't be the first time that a grown adult has faked being underage .  https://www.therichest.com/world-entertainment/15-creepy-stories-of-adults-pretending-to-be-teenagers/   At any rate , someone committed a crime , either the dwarf girl , or the adoptive couple .   Either  the couple abandoned an underage girl , or else the girl committed adoption fraud , and possibly also immigration fraud .  At any rate , in my humble opinion , since this does not factor in any religious extremism , I think that this should be moved to Quiverful of Crime . 

AussieKrissy
2 hours ago, Marmion said:

Here's more detailed information I found .  https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/celebrity/an-author-was-accused-of-abandoning-her-adopted-11-year-old-but-she-says-the-kid-e2-80-99s-actually-an-e2-80-9cadult-sociopath-e2-80-9d/ar-AAHrw3s   Although this might seem absurd , and outrageous , this actually wouldn't be the first time that a grown adult has faked being underage .  https://www.therichest.com/world-entertainment/15-creepy-stories-of-adults-pretending-to-be-teenagers/   At any rate , someone committed a crime , either the dwarf girl , or the adoptive couple .   Either  the couple abandoned an underage girl , or else the girl committed adoption fraud , and possibly also immigration fraud .  At any rate , in my humble opinion , since this does not factor in any religious extremism , I think that this should be moved to Quiverful of Crime . 

ah thank you, I was looking for the right thread, I don't really play around with many threads here so I missed that one. Thanks for the further info. I shall jump down that rabbit hole now. either way it is an interesting case. reminds me of a horror story I saw once.

Marmion
21 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

ah thank you, I was looking for the right thread, I don't really play around with many threads here so I missed that one. Thanks for the further info. I shall jump down that rabbit hole now. either way it is an interesting case. reminds me of a horror story I saw once.

Now that you mention it , I am reminded of this horror novel I have read , by R.L. Stine , called Red Rain .  

Marmion
On 9/18/2019 at 5:16 PM, Marmion said:

I just went to YouTube , and among my suggested videos for me to watch was this update on the case , coincidentally enough .  

hoipolloi
Posted (edited)

The Oregonian has published a lengthy investigative piece*on the years of horrific abuse committed by the late Ellsworth Culver against his daughter, Tania Culver Humphrey. From its early days, Culver was president of Mercy Corps, which is technically non-denominational/non-sectarian though Culver himself appears to have had fundie roots growing up as a missionary kid in China.

The Oregonian has verified his daughterʻs accusations with a number of other people, from her therapists to high school friends, some of whom also experienced sexual abuse by Ellsworth Culver or saw evidence of it. Statements from these individuals are in the video. There are some total heroes in that video, too, including Ms. Humphreyʻs husband and one of her former therapists who is an absolute rock of a human being.

To their eternal shame, Mercy Corps has until literally a few days ago completely failed to deal with this horror show. When Ms. Humphrey first brought her accusations to them, over 25 years ago, they did an "investigation," the only overt result of which was to move Culver into a VP position from his CEO status. He still continued to travel the world on behalf of Mercy Corps until the time of his death. 

I hope that Humphrey sues the shit of Mercy Corps and the board members who covered for her father despite clearly knowing he was a sick & perverted human being.

*The video accompanying the article is excellent but please know that a major content/trigger warning is warranted for its frank discussion of abuse, if you choose to watch it. ETA: the second article (Somebody Help Me) also has fairly explicit descriptions.

Edited by hoipolloi
Adding info
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thank You 4