IGNORED

Stephen Hammer at Harvard

Fundiewonder

Stephen Hammer is Harvard Law '18. I wonder how he's reacting to the news that the next president of the Harvard Law Review will be...gasp...a woman from his class! He chose Meredith because she made it clear that she wanted to be at home and had no career aspirations. Also, her journal emphasized that she thought men should always be the leaders. So what is it like for young Stephen to be surrounded by women who do want careers and don't believe that men should always take the lead? How does he act when assigned to projects with him? Does he accept women as members of his study groups?  I wish I knew what his classmates thought of him. I also wonder how they're fairing as a couple with 4 kids. Being a Harvard Law student requires nonstop commitment. It can't be easy for them.

The woman they chose as President sounds amazing! 

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/28/health/harvard-law-african-american-president-trnd/

There's very little online about Stephen's Harvard Law career. An internal Harvard publication did a profile of him as a former service member. And I see here that he signed a petition objecting to some changes that students request to increase diversity and create a more inclusive environment.

https://responsiblespeechhls.wordpress.com/2015/12/10/remove-demands-infringe-academic-freedom/ 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember, Stephen was raised by Unitarian Universalist parents, and it's hard to find a mainstream religion more liberal than that.  I'm in the camp that believes he converted to a conservative Presbyterian denomination, served in the military, and is going to Harvard Law to find himself a leadership slot in the GOP.

I think Stephen probably blends in with the very conservative contingent at Harvard Law just fine.  I do think he is aiming for politics.  Harvard Law students aren't all conservative, mind you, as the Reform Harvard Law movement shows.  No surprise that he signed that petition.

His upbringing wasn't Fundie and Stephen's been having to co-exist and compete with women throughout his academic career, from Princeton, to Oxford, to Harvard Law.  He also did a stint in the Marines, IIRC.

It is Meredith that might be a bit of a fish out of water in Cambridge, in my opinion.

@Fundiewonder, we have plenty of old threads on the Hammers if you want to browse them.

http://www.freejinger.org/forum/253-meredith-stephen-hammer-the-alexanders/

9 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

There's a fundie guy at Harvard Law !!?? Where have I been? 

I don't know if I consider him fundie. His wife is. He shopped for her online :-/

15 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don't know if I consider him fundie. His wife is. He shopped for her online :-/

He's fake fundie, IMO--an opportunist who nabbed the "correct" religious and career affiliations for the current political climate.

I'm sure some white men find it very easy to convert to a religion that says that they are the most important people in the universe. So I would not be shocked if Stephen really has rejected his UU upbringing and gone whole-hog dominionist patriarchal dick.

I've been waiting for an update on this creep. He rubs me the wrong way. Everything about him screams creep.

I find it interesting that Mr. Rhodes Scholar was not chosen as the president of the Law Review. Do we know if he even made Law Review? For a guy who's used to being the best, if he didn't, that's gotta hurt. And a woman did!

Maybe having four tiny children at home makes it hard to study.

Law Review is like the "honor society" of law schools, it means you get to help edit and produce the school's "law review" journal. I don't know how it is at Harvard, but in some law schools the way it works is that, after the first year of law school, students with the highest grades are chosen for law review. Other students can "write on" to a journal by participating in an essay contest. The winners are chosen to work on one of the journals. Sometimes, if a journal is particularly prestigious, only the top half of the class is eligible to compete.

Yep, he's right where he wants to be. We will be hearing more from this creep in the next 10 years...and we won't be proud that's for damn sure.

5 hours ago, Mela99 said:

There's a fundie guy at Harvard Law !!?? Where have I been? 

He's not the only one. Alex Harris, Rebelution twin and brother to Josh Harris, of I Kissed Dating Goodbye fame, graduated 2 years ago and is now clerking for...uh, one of the supreme court justices. 

Look out folks! Jinger's new husband could be the next Stephen Hammer! Blame the other FJer's for my sudden paranoia. All this talk about creepy, educated, and worldly dudes seeking out meek and submissive virgins has me on edge. I was actually thinking Jinger was free with the move to TX and the shorts. But now...I'm not so sure. 

1 hour ago, Anonymousguest said:

He's not the only one. Alex Harris, Rebelution twin and brother to Josh Harris, of I Kissed Dating Goodbye fame, graduated 2 years ago and is now clerking for...uh, one of the supreme court justices. 

Justice Kennedy

4 hours ago, Hisey said:

I find it interesting that Mr. Rhodes Scholar was not chosen as the president of the Law Review. Do we know if he even made Law Review? For a guy who's used to being the best, if he didn't, that's gotta hurt. And a woman did!

Maybe having four tiny children at home makes it hard to study.

Law Review is like the "honor society" of law schools, it means you get to help edit and produce the school's "law review" journal. I don't know how it is at Harvard, but in some law schools the way it works is that, after the first year of law school, students with the highest grades are chosen for law review. Other students can "write on" to a journal by participating in an essay contest. The winners are chosen to work on one of the journals. Sometimes, if a journal is particularly prestigious, only the top half of the class is eligible to compete.

Interesting.  That's not how it was at my school.  Maybe it's an American thing?  In my school, law review was where you went if you didn't get into the student legal aid clinic (because LA was the only way you could do a trial as a student).  

49 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Interesting.  That's not how it was at my school.  Maybe it's an American thing?  In my school, law review was where you went if you didn't get into the student legal aid clinic (because LA was the only way you could do a trial as a student).  

You definitely can do trials in the law school legal aid here! But it's far more prestigious and sought-after to make a law journal.

20 minutes ago, Hisey said:

You definitely can do trials in the law school legal aid here! But it's far more prestigious and sought-after to make a law journal.

I always wondered why Clinton and Obama were always touted as doing the law journals at their schools.  I always just assumed they were caselaw nerds.  Now I know!  

Here, even Bay Street (Canada's equivalent to Wall Street) tends to look for practical trial experience for litigation jobs.  And there are a LOT of government barrister-type jobs that pay well, and (at least in Ontario) they ONLY look for practical litigation/public interest work.  Law journal is NOT going to get you an interview, period.  I, like several of my law school peers, turned down the legal review for Legal Aid.  

Anyway, back on topic and not focusing on American versus Canadian lawyer quirks (don't get me started on how Americans pronounce "voir dire"), I don't know that Steven Hammer needs to do intellectual-type stuff like law review at Harvard.  After all, he's aiming for the GOP, and intellectualism isn't always a benefit for the Republican candidates.  

Yes, but law review is a nice little merit badge that impressed people. 

I just wondered how Stephen, who's always been part of the creme de la creme academically, felt if he did not obtain the very well-known and well-established honor of making law review.

If only Hammer Time could've pulled a Ted Cruz and be the founding editor of something akin to the Latino law review.  

What I find most interesting about Stephen and Meredith (without a doubt my 'favourite' fundies) is how they are going to handle education/homeschooling. Meredith was homeschooled with her brothers so that she could be a godly wife in the farm house and so her brothers could be godly husbands doing the outdoor farm work.  So far, not much of a difference in educational requirements.  But Stephen is highly educated and has benefitted from that education.  So are their daughters going to be taught to keep house while the sons are told they can be Rhodes Scholars? How the hell will that work? 

19 minutes ago, Whydon'ttheyspeakintongues said:

What I find most interesting about Stephen and Meredith (without a doubt my 'favourite' fundies) is how they are going to handle education/homeschooling.

Yes, me too.  And especially as Meredith didn't seem to have the best education herself, so how could she teach future Rhodes Scholars?  Unless they hire private tutors, and say "well it's at home, so it's home-schooling"

3 hours ago, Whydon'ttheyspeakintongues said:

What I find most interesting about Stephen and Meredith (without a doubt my 'favourite' fundies) is how they are going to handle education/homeschooling. Meredith was homeschooled with her brothers so that she could be a godly wife in the farm house and so her brothers could be godly husbands doing the outdoor farm work.  So far, not much of a difference in educational requirements.  But Stephen is highly educated and has benefitted from that education.  So are their daughters going to be taught to keep house while the sons are told they can be Rhodes Scholars? How the hell will that work? 

They only have one boy and three girls so far so maybe she will mostly focus on his schooling. Or he will go to a special Christian high school while the girls stay home. Because a boy is worth more in a high school than three girls in the bush. Or however that old saying goes...

Stephen hasn't been on the Board of Editors of the Harvard Law Review (and I went back a couple of years).  He's apparently been too busy with the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy and the Harvard Federalist Society - "Conservative, Moderate and Libertarian Students at Harvard Law School."  

On the Harvard Fed Soc's Facebook page there is this strange quote:

According to Dean Martha Minow, we make Harvard Law School a more "physically attractive" place.

:huh:

Well, perhaps Dean Minow meant that they clean up litter and that was the most positive thing she had to say about them.  It's an odd thing to highlight.  

He's an Officer. https://orgs.law.harvard.edu/fedsoc/about/officers/

Stephen Hammer – Development Chair
[removed email]

Stephen Hammer is a 2L from Carrollton, Texas. He graduated from Princeton in 2009 with a degree in classics and earned a master’s in theology from Oxford in 2011 as a Rhodes scholar. From 2011 to 2015 he served as an infantry officer in the US Army’s 82nd Airborne Division, deploying twice to southern Afghanistan. During his 1L year, Stephen served as an editor for the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy. He spent his 1L summer at Cooper & Kirk, PLLC in Washington, D.C.

And he is a Student Fellow here: http://blogs.harvard.edu/privatelaw/people/

I wouldn't say he was letting the grass grow under his feet.

I see he spent his first law-school summer at a firm in DC. I wonder what Meredith and the kids did during that time, especially if he was in the office 80+ hours a week. Would they bother to go there?

Many law students get an offer from the place where they spend their second summer. So, Stephen's location this summer could determine where they end up after graduation. Or maybe he'll shoot for clerking for a Supreme Court justice and end up in DC. I think his goal is to be a Supreme Court nominee in 25 years.

9 minutes ago, Fundiewonder said:

I see he spent his first law-school summer at a firm in DC. I wonder what Meredith and the kids did during that time, especially if he was in the office 80+ hours a week. Would they bother to go there? 

Chances are that she and the kids visited her family in Virginia.  They don't often update their blog but there's a photo of Meredith, Sheridan (my, how she's grown) and Margaret at the American Doll store in DC.   http://alexanderadventuresfamilyblog.blogspot.com/

One of Stephen's stated ambitions was to become a judge.  

12 hours ago, Showtunesgirl said:

Justice Kennedy

Interesting as he is not ultra conservative and is often the swing vote on the court.

Archived