IGNORED

20/20: Christian Gay Conversion Abuse

Howl

Just watched the 20/20 show on abusive Christian gay conversion "therapy" camps.  Yes, the very concept is abusive, but many of these camps are sadistic and abusive -- trying to beat the gay out of teens.  

We dvr'd it; I think it aired Sunday.  They operate in most states with zero oversight under the guise of religious freedom and are often literally hidden away in the woods. I can't find a link on line to watch the full program, but view the preview on GMA here:   

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/undercover-called-gay-conversion-camp-46038064

It makes me like Robin Roberts even more, if that's possible.

and Part 2 here: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/bible-belt-inside-camp-gay-youth-46059789?cid=share_twitter_widget

This also covers the case of a 17-year-old Texas girl who was sent to a Christian camp in East Texas (Heartlight Ministries); her cousin, Joey Jordan, publicized her case.  I think we discussed this on FJ. 

And the reference to spanking beating teen aged boys on their bare bottoms with a belt? And holding them nude in isolation rooms? Handcuffs and shackles. Homoerotic sadistic behavior.  Happily, the 4 guys running this camp were sentenced to TWENTY YEARS in prison. 

With the country's swing to the far right, there is little hope that states will take any steps to regulate these types of facilities, but shows like 20/20 expose just how horrible they can be, and how deeply some fundamentalist parents believe that it can be a choice.

My local news aired right after the 20/20 show, and the first segment featured a mom in my city who made the decision to leave her anti-gay, conservative church to support her daughter, when her daughter came out.  

Twenty years in prison? In my opinion, not nearly enough for the damage that this 'treatment' inflicts. But good that someone has acted and the camp hasn't just been moved elsewhere.

It's not just fundamentalists who sincerely believe it's a choice - evangelicals do too. That's the nearly singular view among the over-35s, and still majority among the younger set. Speaking from personal experience as an ex-evangelical, who's still in touch with many of the old set.

ETA: And that's even more frightening, imo, because there are quite a lot more evangelicals in this country than fundamentalists.

I watched most of the show and was just sickened by these horrible horrible "counselors" and parents that sent their kids. 

11 hours ago, Howl said:

her cousin, Joey Jordan,

It's Jeremy Jordan of Supergirl  just clarifying in case people want to google.

Here is the People article with interview with Jeremy Jordan. http://people.com/celebrity/jeremy-jordan-gay-cousin-abc-news/

13 hours ago, Jasmar said:

It's not just fundamentalists who sincerely believe it's a choice - evangelicals do too. That's the nearly singular view among the over-35s, and still majority among the younger set. Speaking from personal experience as an ex-evangelical, who's still in touch with many of the old set.

I have a close friend who's Church of Christ, and he shocked me by saying "Being gay or transgender is a choice. I refuse to believe God would create people 'that way.'" We were at dinner with friends, all of the rest of us atheist, & we argued with him the rest of the evening. 
FWIW, I really believe he's gay (from things he's said) and has been fighting it all his life. He's 59 now, in bad health, and suffers from deep depression. I can't help but think he would have lived a much happier life if he'd just been himself. (If I'm right and he's attracted to men.)

On 3/14/2017 at 6:56 AM, Howl said:

This also covers the case of a 17-year-old Texas girl who was sent to a Christian camp in East Texas (Heartlight Ministries); her cousin, Joey Jordan, publicized her case.  I think we discussed this on FJ. 

Yes, we did. Here's the link for anyone interested: 

2 hours ago, December said:

Yes, we did. Here's the link for anyone interested: 

Thanks.  I searched and searched and couldn't find it.  

I saw this program on demand, and it's amazing what you can get away with if you claim to be "Christian." That's why I was surprised these "counselors" were given real jail time, since in many religious abuse cases, you can just claim to be following a "sincerely held belief" and get a slap on the wrist. I noticed that the program implied that these "Christian" institutions are being protected by a fundegelical network in law enforcement, the legal system, and in politics that protects these abusive places. It reminds me of how JB was able to get the molestations swept under the rug because he knew the right people in the NWA fundegelical old boys' club. How any of these "Christians" can claim persecution when they're being coddled by the state and large swaths of the public is beyond my understanding.

I was so touched by the policeman who really believed the victim and put his job on the line.  He is a very compassionate man. 

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

I saw this program on demand, and it's amazing what you can get away with if you claim to be "Christian." That's why I was surprised these "counselors" were given real jail time, since in many religious abuse cases, you can just claim to be following a "sincerely held belief" and get a slap on the wrist. I noticed that the program implied that these "Christian" institutions are being protected by a fundegelical network in law enforcement, the legal system, and in politics that protects these abusive places. It reminds me of how JB was able to get the molestations swept under the rug because he knew the right people in the NWA fundegelical old boys' club. How any of these "Christians" can claim persecution when they're being coddled by the state and large swaths of the public is beyond my understanding.

They shouldn't be able to claim religion in these cases. It's abuse

Archived