IGNORED

Hope Pennington, atheist

16strong

I can't help but think that Lisa has made such a song and dance about taking each of the younger boys to Disney singly, because she wants to persuade them not to leave home in the same way as their older sisters. 

Lisa is trying to convince the boys that she is a super-duper mother. I bet the conversations she has with them about the girls are interesting. 

So far only Grace has done the correct (in Lisa's opinion) thing and got married without trying life out first. No doubt she and Wesley will have umpteen blessings for Lisa to bully ASAP.

Just imagine the admiration Lisa will expect for becoming a grandmother when it happens.

yuck.

• Upvote 5

Just a thought. The parents had better let Hope live rent free in the guest house. It's the least they can do to apologise to her for trying to keep her a non-person. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Koala said:

So let me get this straight.

The Penningtons robbed their children of their identities in order to control them.

When Hope broke free of them, she had to live like a homeless person, because of the choices her parents made.

Meanwhile, Lisa was prancing around Disney, posting endless selfies of her (ridiculous) hairstyles.  

Do I have that right?

Have I mentioned that Lisa is ridiculous?  Because yeah....there are no words.

She should have been spending every.waking.second trying to help the daughters she ROBBED!

Iirc, Lisa made a big deal about "moving" Hope to Washington, as if she had a stable living situation and a way to make money. Foul.

• Upvote 6

Reading about how the daughters have had to fight just to get legal proof of their existence horrifies me.  When I read the BIble, I just cannot see Christ advocating that parents treat their children this way.  And that Lisa Pennington keeps getting a platform for her parenting advice really does make me see red.  See also, I just found out that David C. Cook recently published yet another parenting book by Pennington.

• Upvote 8

Iirc, Lisa made a big deal about "moving" Hope to Washington, as if she had a stable living situation and a way to make money. Foul.

She might as well have brought Hope to the city gates, denounced her daughter as a sinner and asked for her to be stoned by the townspeople. That's what these people are all about, right?
  • Upvote 10

Lisa and James are both self employed -- he's a sole practitioner CPA, she is serious as a heart attack about marketing her YL oils, blog and books (2).  She definitely has a following in the fundamentalist homeschooling community and YL oil spruikers.  After the on-line meltdown when Faith flew the coop, Lisa has become carefully circumspect on line and only presents this and that in a chirpy positive light.  If you didn't know this couple, you wouldn't realize that they are likely Sovereign Citizen lite.  

Here's what pisses me off.  When Faith fled and the Texas legislature passed a law requiring parents to provide the appropriate information for children to get a birth certificate, why wouldn't they have immediately and proactively moved to get birth certificates for ALL of their children?  There is no reason, and I do mean NO REASON, that Hope did not get a birth certificate when that went down, except the Penningtons were exerting their last bit of control.  Perhaps Hope did not realize how important these documents were when she went off to WA, or what life would be like with no ID, no drivers license, no SSN, since she hadn't had much life experience.  She seemed happy and very excited about life in her video, so that is great news. 

By the way, the awesome Texas legislator who put that legislation forward was defeated in the last election cycle.  I wondered if her stance regarding birth certificates made her seem not conservative enough for her very conservative district.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 17

@Howl In relation to the Penningtions - what makes you think that even a law, even one that was brought about quite publically by their own stupidity, would make them do the right thing? Lisa and James will continue to do whatever they want because they know they can. It's not as if they received any public censure for what they've done to their children (other than what they think goes on in their heads); why would they stop being who they are now?

As for Hope, maybe it's not that she didn't know, but perhaps it was a mix of being very unknowing and naive about the outside world and what is required mixed in with feeling an overload of mental and emotional exhaustion - almost an inertia. Just a theory, but to go from a life of sovereign Christian servitude to your mum to coming out as atheist and bisexual and not having stable housing as a result (or anything else stable for that matter). It can be difficult from that position to make decisions or to know what to do. I hope everything gets better for her soon.

• Upvote 7

From the looks of it, Patience Pennington is probably still in the good graces of Lisa along with Grace. Patience just won an award at the Christian film awards and she seems like she's still fully fundie.

The sisters seem accepting of one another so I really hope patience and grace don't give hope any shit for coming out. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

@Howl In relation to the Penningtions - what makes you think that even a law, even one that was brought about quite publically by their own stupidity, would make them do the right thing? Lisa and James will continue to do whatever they want because they know they can. It's not as if they received any public censure for what they've done to their children (other than what they think goes on in their heads); why would they stop being who they are now?

As for Hope, maybe it's not that she didn't know, but perhaps it was a mix of being very unknowing and naive about the outside world and what is required mixed in with feeling an overload of mental and emotional exhaustion - almost an inertia. Just a theory, but to go from a life of sovereign Christian servitude to your mum to coming out as atheist and bisexual and not having stable housing as a result (or anything else stable for that matter). It can be difficult from that position to make decisions or to know what to do. I hope everything gets better for her soon.

Oh, I agree 100% with all of your points.  Lisa and James are Sovereign Citizen Lite and Patriarchal heavies -- they just hide it very very well so as not to adversely affect their income streams.  When I say "no reason" to not proactively make certain that all of the girls are documented as US citizens, I mean no normal, rational reason.

When someone noted up thread that Lisa was telling her 14-year-old boy to make decisions on vacation so he could learn how to be a leader, I thought this woman's core beliefs have not changed one iota.  I think maybe they've given up on Hope and Faith and tolerate them, but their hope is the boys, because boys in this situation are much more important than women and girls, because PENIS. 

I do remember that Lisa had a talk with her girls and how to maintain while making your husband's priorities your own, without (basically) losing your mind. 

Can someone refresh me on where Hope is in the birth order?  Is she older or younger than Faith? I'm guessing she is between Faith and Grace, but I'm not sure. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3

@Howl Don't worry, I thought you were heading in that direction - I think maybe my tone sounded too strong. Sorry about that :)

Also, what parent lets their teenager plan their holiday, penis or not? Lisa is truly nuts or the smartest person alive - she may not lose the boys. At least not right away.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Howl said:

Can someone refresh me on where Hope is in the birth order?  Is she older or younger than Faith? I'm guessing she is between Faith and Grace, but I'm not sure. 

Grace is the oldest, then Jacob, then--I think--Hope? Faith is the fourth child. Patience was born in 1997, and I think she is the youngest daughter. I have no idea about the younger sons.

Edited by DaisyD
Snip Quote
  • Upvote 1

This is my first exposure to the Penningtons, and taking a browse through their FB's.... if I didn't know better, they look quite ordinary! Well, except for that they seem to be a large, happy family, which is odd enough to me.

It must be... I'm not sure what the word is for it. Difficult? To be discovering the world outside of fundamentalism when your friends list is filled with... fundamentalists. I hope no one drags her back in.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, AmericanRose said:

This is my first exposure to the Penningtons, and taking a browse through their FB's.... if I didn't know better, they look quite ordinary! Well, except for that they seem to be a large, happy family, which is odd enough to me.

You have to dig a bit deeper for Lisa Pennington, as she carefully curates her content.  Especially now that she's hawking two books, she's careful to try to only show her best side.  Since she's so shockingly self-centered, she still fucks up often and shows her ass (like needing her stupid essential oils to help her "forgive" her bisexual daughter, or how painful it was for her to decorate after a daughter's boyfriend's suicide -- you know, about as inconvenient as a cold).  

Someone out there maintains a site which has some of her old, controversial posts.  It's difficult to read (physically -- the background and text color are challenging), but there are some interesting moments there.  Lisa is a woman who once devoted an entire day to beating & soothing her very young son (3 or 4 years old?) because he didn't say "hi, Mama," the way she wanted him to.  In her depiction, she had to take this stand, which forced her to abandon her plans to cook, ordering pizza instead. How she suffered!    And imagine how betrayed she was when a daughter struck off on her own, with the help of Lisa's parents, in an attempt to flee the repressive household where she was basically Lisa's slave.  That woman is reprehensible. Here are some of those deleted posts, though, if you're curious: http://deletedpenningtonpointposts.blogspot.com/

• Upvote 7

17 minutes ago, Koala said:

I literally can not read the words.  I wonder if something went wrong?

That site has always been that way.  If you highlight the text, you can read it.  Not easy, and odd all around.  

ETA: If you keep scrolling, some posts are easier to read, especially the older posts on the next page.  Also found this, from an old interview, about her kids and their ages.  Add a few years for them all: 

Grace (21), Jacob (19), Hope (17), Faith (15), Patience (14), Noah (12), Adam (10), Elijah (8) and Levi (4)

Edited by amandaaries
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 4/13/2017 at 5:35 PM, Gobsmacked said:

I can't help but think that Lisa has made such a song and dance about taking each of the younger boys to Disney singly, because she wants to persuade them not to leave home in the same way as their older sisters. 

Lisa is trying to convince the boys that she is a super-duper mother. I bet the conversations she has with them about the girls are interesting. 

So far only Grace has done the correct (in Lisa's opinion) thing and got married without trying life out first. No doubt she and Wesley will have umpteen blessings for Lisa to bully ASAP.

Just imagine the admiration Lisa will expect for becoming a grandmother when it happens.

yuck.

I think she just wanted to go to Disney a lot. She had a year pass and friends to stay with so it was a great way to justify spendinga lot of time at Disney. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, amandaaries said:

Grace (21), Jacob (19), Hope (17), Faith (15), Patience (14), Noah (12), Adam (10), Elijah (8) and Levi (4)

I think she recently posted Elijah's age as 14. So adding around six years to each is probably close to their current ages.

The girls all go by their middle names right? Do the boys all have virtue middle names as well?

Interesting that she mentioned recently sitting in the living room and just talking with her two grown sons.  I guess once a boy reaches 18 he is considered an adult. 

It also means that Jacob is in his mid twenties and is still a fundy bachelor living at home. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The girls all go by their middle names right? Do the boys all have virtue middle names as well?

Per the Texas birth registry, "Patience"  is that daughter's first name. No idea about Hope.

Edited by VVV
Edited to remove incorrect statement about J. Grace P.
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, amandaaries said:

That site has always been that way.  If you highlight the text, you can read it.  Not easy, and odd all around.  

Thanks!  That worked.

This bit:

You might be interested in the fact that we don't get birth certificates or social security numbers for our children. So, theoretically, we could change their name whenever we want to. 

Or, your adult children could pack up and flee your home with the aid of your own parents (who clearly think your parenting style is batshit).  Then an law could be passed to prevent other parents from ROBBING their children of their identity.  If that happened, it would probably be all over social media, and you know...the news.  Theoretically, of course.  

Edited by Koala
  • Upvote 18

the blog entry of her 'training' her toddler to say Hi Mommy on demand, is horrifying.    I honestly think that link should be copied and posted as often as possible.  People who buy her oils should read that post.  Her many FB friends should have the pleasure or the horror of reading that entry.   

Yes, there will be some idiots who see no issue with it, but  there would have to be some in that group that have enough awareness to realize just how sick that whole scene was.  And, the fact that she dragged the other kids in to witness it just makes it even worse.  That she, herself, has no compunction with posting something like that tells me, that what she doesn't end up posting is far worse.  That post was just the tip of the ice berg

• Upvote 4

For a fun look at Lisa's fashion sense look for her embracing modesty posts.  And,  I won't link it here, but definitely go check out the website for Magnolia Pearl clothing.  Lisa once bragged about buying some of that stuff on  her blog. 

The stuff on the magnolia pearl looks like costumes from a movie about a 19th century traveling caravan of snake oil salesmen.  It really is worth taking a look at.  I am not sure who, in their right mind would wear any of this stuff

• Upvote 4

I once clicked on the Magnolia Pearl website, and it aggressively followed me around the internet. But how confusing and bizarre the clothing line. I don't know if she ever ordered herself, but she tries to copy "the look". Sadly. Painfully. 

• Upvote 4

I don't know how to use the Wayback Machine, but it seems like this post should be preserved elsewhere for posterity. 

Spoiler

Spanking Babies

This is a direct quote someone copied and pasted from Lisa's first blog. It can be found on The Bump. I just have to say, if after naming the four things you can't make a baby do, she proceeds to break his will until he speaks to her... what kind of torture did she put her children through to make them sleep, eat, and potty!?

This has been a long afternoon for Mommy and Baby. When I got him up from his nap I said to him (like I do every day), "Say 'Hi Mommy!' " But this afternoon, instead of his usual, "Hi Mommy!" he said nothing. He refused, I mean refused, to say it.
It occurred to me that I haven't shared with you one of my favorite child training tips for babies. Here it is:
You can make a baby do things. For example, if you say, "Pick that up" and they won't do it, you can lead them to the item, take their little hand and make them pick it up.
But there are four things you can NOT make a baby do.
1. Sleep2. Eat/swallow3. Poop/pee4. Speak
In this case, Baby wouldn't say something that I told him to say. It wasn't like he just looked around and did something else. He was obviously disobeying me.
Like I said, I can't make him speak. But I can make him sit; I can make him open a book; I can make him come to me when called. But there is no way to make him speak. So what do I do? I'm glad you asked.
I make him miserable, absolutely miserable. At first I called the other children in and I said, "Say 'Hi Mommy' " and they would repeat, "Hi Mommy". Baby could see their example. He would say hi to them, but not to me. More proof that he is deliberately not obeying me.
Next I got out his favorite snack (he is in my arms this whole time....no opportunity to go anywhere else or be entertained). He reached for it. "Say Hi Mommy". Nothing. I would call in a couple of the little boys. I'd tell them to say it and when they did, I gave them a bit of the snack. Baby would reach for it and I would pull back. "Say 'Hi Mommy' ". It apparently wasn't worth it to him. OK, we'll figure out what is worth it.
I took him back into my room where he begged to see G&G's picture on the computer (this is one of his favorite things to do). "Say 'Hi Mommy' " Nope. Finally I sat him on my lap facing me and when I told him to say it he shook his head, no. So I got my teeny, tiny baby spanker. It's a little back scratcher that barely stings, but it's great for babies.
One little swat and he screamed. "No screaming" I'd say (in a very gentle way....I always spoke gently and calmly) and give him another little swat. When he'd stop I'd tell him again to say "Hi Mommy." Nope. Swat. Cry. Swat. This went on for about 30 minutes. I'd cradle him and rock him and he would be soothed, then I'd tell him again, "Say 'Hi Mommy.' " over and over.
Finally, when I was trying to decide if he would get dinner or not (I was actually thinking I would give him something else besides the pizza that everyone else was having because he is too young to go without a meal), he leaned his head on my shoulder and said, "Hi Mommy." and it was over.
All of the children cheered when I brought him out. He was exhausted, but he got a little snack and a special drink.
Now he's happily eating his dinner and saying "Hi Mommy" all I want.
The victory for me isn't that he will say "Hi Mommy", but that he understands that he has to do what I say. This is a lesson that will carry on into his future and keep him safe and secure. It will help to lead him to that greater relationship with our Lord. Obedience to Christ will come easier to him because of what we have taught him in these formative years.
Of course, I didn't get done what I had planned this afternoon. We had to order pizza because I couldn't make dinner. I had to set everything aside to do this. But I never wished for anything else. It was a great opportunity to spend these precious moments with my sweet boy."

There is so much to say, but it's a busy weekend.  Enjoy the read if you have a minute.  

• Upvote 4

On 4/12/2017 at 0:54 PM, usedbicycle said:

Hope Pennington is not only an atheist, but also bisexual! What a path of discovery this year has been, go Hope!

As you can imagine, Lisa is having a very, very bad day. Thank God she has her Forgiveness oil.

Capture.PNG

Hope is being the epitome of grace with some responses on Facebook. I can't imagine how difficult this must be, she deserves a lot of credit. 

Capture.PNG

So, see those essential oils? I'm probably the wackadoo, but why is this OK with Christians? Not just ok, but A Thing. Peace and calm, and forgiveness. Seriously? Why is this not witchcraft? Have you ever read David Young s beliefs on oils? Why is it ok for a Christians to get "forgiveness" from a bottle? I don't understand why this is different that spells and potions and crystals. Which are all bad. Why is Harry Potter, a fictional book, of the Devil, but a mixture of oils that can alter your brain chemistry to give you Peace, is Godly? Cognitive dissonance anyone?

• Upvote 33
  • I Agree 1