IGNORED

Another Duggar Courtship: Joseph and Kendra

front hugs > duggs

16 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But Guinn's youngest at the time was like 5 years old. I guess I always assumed they weren't "open to more blessings" like the Duggars. 

And just imagine, that blonde who looks like she's in her twenties will probably become a grandmother in 2018 or 2019. 

becoming a grandmother at 38 is already extremely young, but looking 28 and becoming a grandmother...mind blown...

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Marly said:

This is exactly what I was thinking about. When you live in such a strict and small community, and the only people you ever meet are people you go to church with (since you're being homeschooled), and everyone stays relatively put in the same area, so everyone gets their potential mates out of the same small pond, then at a certain point - although the pond might be bigger because everyone spawns like crazy - isn't everyone somehow related?
How do you prevent inbreeding in very strict and fairly closed-off communities? Granted, Jinger marrying Jeremy, someone from outside of the pond, shows that fresh blood is sometimes added into the mix. But is this the rule or is this the exception? And how do the even more strict communities, like the Amish or the Hutterites, do this? 

I think it's nearly impossible unless you work at getting new people to join your cloistered group. Doing genealogy this wasn't just limited to religious groups, class systems or races. For instance, groups of neighbors traveled together across unhabited territories. It's not uncommon to have a set of siblings marry another set of sibling but be in two different states. Do that a few times over and you end up sharing a large about of DNA with family separated by generations and space  despite being distant cousins. Ashkenazi Jews have a really hard time finding specific genetic lines using DNA tests since everyone is essentially partially related a few degrees over. I'm not trying to pick on any certain group, most of us have cousins in our tree some where. 

10 minutes ago, Marly said:

This is exactly what I was thinking about. When you live in such a strict and small community, and the only people you ever meet are people you go to church with (since you're being homeschooled), and everyone stays relatively put in the same area, so everyone gets their potential mates out of the same small pond, then at a certain point - although the pond might be bigger because everyone spawns like crazy - isn't everyone somehow related?
How do you prevent inbreeding in very strict and fairly closed-off communities? Granted, Jinger marrying Jeremy, someone from outside of the pond, shows that fresh blood is sometimes added into the mix. But is this the rule or is this the exception? And how do the even more strict communities, like the Amish or the Hutterites, do this? 

in a restricted community you can quickly become related to every single person within a few generations (maybe 3-4 generations). I come from a very remote region in Germany where people couldn't travel far away from their villages for centuries, the maximum would be maybe the next 2 or 3 villages but that was it. Very few people live there and the majority of the area is covered with forest. For lack of other / fresh DNA coming in from outside people started inbreeding to some degree, marrying their 2nd and 3rd cousins, sometimes even first cousins. In the 1950s  (when most people still didn't own a car) things became so bad that the old women in the villages started tracing back the family lines in detail (I'm not kidding!) and things became more obvious and relgulated. Before my grandparents got married in 1959 they made sure that they were not more closely related than 3rd cousins and only via ONE line of relation. They are 3rd cousins and where allowed to get married. They did the same thing with my parents before they got married. This may be too much information, but my parents are 4th cousins via two differnt lines, so they are twice related. Things are a lot more loose now, THANK GOD! People moving out and in and being more aware of inbreeding.

But I'm telling you. The Duggar, the Bates and all the other quiverfullers need to start NOW with tracing of the family lineages. It is so important. Or else things might get out of hand with 3rd generation quiverfullers.

They avoid inbreeding by knowing who they're related to and who they're not related to. It's really not that difficult, especially in the age of the internet and social media. Once you get to about the third cousin level, it's basically the same as marrying a completely unrelated person (unless you've had substantial inbreeding over and over again for generations, like the Amish or Ashkenazi Jews). 

I can't see them 'accidentally' marrying their second cousins. They would know if they shared the same great-grandparents or not.

Just an FYI, I guarantee you that there's a huge amount of inbreeding in your own family tree. Maybe closer in time than you think, especially if your family came from a small and/or rural area.

The FLDS have a big inbreeding problem as they're more or less all direct descendants of a handful of families. They have a big baby graveyard for those infants who just didn't have the DNA to make it. And they're just too brainwashed to question if they really should be marrying that first cousin their prophet is telling them to marry. Sad on every level, really.

I don't think that'll happen for the Duggars though. Someone somewhere is bound to invent a Tinder app for fundies - straights only, only modest pictures of your countenance allowed, sends a full report of any interactions between the two prospective courtees straight to daddy's phone, daily topic of conversation suggested along the lines of "what is your favourite verse in Exodus, and why," "what is the best thing about not holding hands until engagement" "how long do you think a future spouse should spend reading the Bible per day" etc.

It just dawned on me who the Caldwells remind me of in that photo. Did anyone watch True Blood?

1ce20bb1a2247b6d2a47a49c22f9537b.jpg

25 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

It just dawned on me who the Caldwells remind me of in that photo. Did anyone watch True Blood?

Holy crap they look exactly like them! And I wouldn't be surprised if they are like them, after all they are in a cult. Now, I can't unsee it :pb_lol:

I reckon they will have to include outsiders who are willing to join in and become fundie/more fundie. Derick and Jeremy went to normal college. Jeremy "did stuff" and then repented or some shit. No doubt that they were both religious; they were also willing to become fundie to be able to marry Duggar women. Whitney Bates was similar IIRC.

I can't imagine anyone WANTING to become fundie. People are nuts.

10 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I remember being excited to play spin the bottle when I was 12. Being excited for side hugs at 18. Whoa, dream big.

and that sentence what she said just solidified again the cult. 

and the way she said it. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

YES! This is why they looked so familiar. I sarcastically say praise his glory and his light all the time. That show was a train wreck, but it had hilarious lines.

becoming a grandmother at 38 is already extremely young, but looking 28 and becoming a grandmother...mind blown...

My husband has a coworker who was a grandpa at 32. (He was 16 when his first daughter was born, and she was 16 when hers was born. Teen pregnancy is an "epidemic" in my town. So this isn't absolutely ridiculous.) This always makes me shudder because I am 34 and just now debating if we want a second child.

Of course? Heroine is a huge problem here too. And of course poverty. So... I guess we can't really compare.

2 hours ago, Marly said:

The don't and that is a huge problem,  in gypsy, Amish and  FLDS sects and I'm sure any other closed off cult type lifestyle, that there is a lot of 1st cousins marrying. 

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

They avoid inbreeding by knowing who they're related to and who they're not related to. It's really not that difficult, especially in the age of the internet and social media. Once you get to about the third cousin level, it's basically the same as marrying a completely unrelated person (unless you've had substantial inbreeding over and over again for generations, like the Amish or Ashkenazi Jews). 

I can't see them 'accidentally' marrying their second cousins. They would know if they shared the same great-grandparents or not.

Just an FYI, I guarantee you that there's a huge amount of inbreeding in your own family tree. Maybe closer in time than you think, especially if your family came from a small and/or rural area.

You just said almost everything I was going to say. All the way to marrying your 4th cousin is no big deal because you share barely any genetics at that point. Marrying cousins was no big deal back in the day because it was often your only option in so many areas of the world. 

Mormons have detailed and thorough geneology and I believe it's so they can make sure certain families don't keep getting married over and over again. I'll admit to thinking Mormons tend to look alike.

In my small hometown, you sometimes had to be careful who you dated. I never dated anyone in high school but I remember multiple times when I would mention a friend or classmate and my mom would say, "oh they are your distant cousin." One of my friends did hit on me once and I later told him we were distant cousins and he was horrified! That was priceless. My sister and our first cousin married first cousins. So I guess their kids are double first cousins. That sort of thing isn't uncommon in our hometown. But thanks to easy travel and technology, I think incest will become much less common and may become even more taboo in the future because of it. 

12 minutes ago, Scribber said:

My husband has a coworker who was a grandpa at 32. (He was 16 when his first daughter was born, and she was 16 when hers was born. Teen pregnancy is an "epidemic" in my town. So this isn't absolutely ridiculous.) This always makes me shudder because I am 34 and just now debating if we want a second child.

Of course? Heroine is a huge problem here too. And of course poverty. So... I guess we can't really compare.

i was 37 when i became a grandmother the first time...i have a cousin who became a grandmother at 30 and a great-grandmother at 45. crazy shit happens sometimes

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

You made my day. 

11 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Gosh they look like babies. The wife doesn't look older than 35....

Some women are just gifted , They look like they just got married! 

13 hours ago, season of life said:

They look good after having 7 kids. They are definitely young.

I don't think any Duggar kids will court a Bates until much later. Lawson didn't court Jinger, neither did Carlin... For all that speculation, I think the courtships will not overlap a lot with these two families.

Josie will run off with Jeb or Jud. I really wanted loud , silly, short skirt wearing Carlin up in the Duggar house though ! She would have rocked that ship!

34 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

i was 37 when i became a grandmother the first time...i have a cousin who became a grandmother at 30 and a great-grandmother at 45. crazy shit happens sometimes

Loretta Lynn became a grandmother at 27. One of my favorite mind blowing facts. 

5 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

Wow, that's crazy! I would say she looks younger than Sierra, and she is still in her 20s! 

Well, to me Sierra looks older than her years.

I can't believe this lady is younger than me (2 years) and has an 18 year old, wtf!!!! That just blows my mind.  (And it was a baby out of a marriage, not a teenage whoops, which happens)

10 minutes ago, ljohnson2006 said:

Anything for ratings. Hope this doesn't fall apart like Josiah's did. 

Josiah and Marjorie's courtship falling apart was probably a blessing for both of them--it certainly was for her. If it had continued she'd be home with an infant by now. Instead, she's attending a non-fundy college, living in  a dorm, making a bit of money in her chosen major (design), with a book from a real (not vanity press) publisher coming out this spring. And she worked at Chik-fil-a--having a real job with a non-relative as your boss is invaluable.

I see no reason why Kendra and Joe should get married. As far as I can tell, neither have an adequate education or the ability to support themselves as a household.

I foresee a birthday engagement like Josh did with Anna except Kendra will be 19.  Wedding will be late November early December with her dad officiating.

1 hour ago, CreationMuseumCurator said:

YES! This is why they looked so familiar. I sarcastically say praise his glory and his light all the time. That show was a train wreck, but it had hilarious lines.

To be fair, I actually loved the first 4 seasons. Then I 100% agree. Biggest trainwreck ever. I think only The Walking Dead is coming close to matching a show with a gigantic drop in quality like that. 

Now who's going to be the "Jason" in the Caldwell scenario? The one that says "I felt Heaven...inside your wife." then punches him in the face. :pb_lol:

The mom and daughter look like sisters.

It's interesting that this mom (I am assuming those pictures are recent) and Michelle D have aged so well- They both have big families for this time in history, yet they both look young for their stated ages. Not sure that their daughters will be so lucky...now Kelly Jo looks older- her daughters might do better.

Fairer people, because of their skin and what sun exposure can do to it, seem to age faster...I am one, so I get it, yet this woman has flawless skin. I'm impressed.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived