IGNORED

Another Duggar Courtship: Joseph and Kendra

front hugs > duggs

On 3/15/2017 at 10:01 PM, Rachel333 said:

I've been having the opposite experience as the people who get seen as their kids' siblings. Lately I've been taking my little sister to her appointments and people keep assuming I'm her mom. I'm not old enough to have a teenager--I was only 10 when she was born!

The most awkward was when I was out with my brother, who is about my age, and two younger siblings and people thought we were a family with my brother and I as the parents.

I was 18 when my nephew was born - he's my step sister's son, so we aren't genetically related, but we have similar coloring, and he didn't strongly resemble either of his parents until puberty. When he was little, people frequently assumed he was mine. My step sister is only 18 months older than me, but she is morbidly obese and has some other health problems that make it easy for people to discount her as a mom (especially if they see me running around with the kid on the playground). She also wasn't the world's best parent in the early years - if we were out in public and nephew needed something, he was more likely to ask me. (She came into her own as a parent after she got divorced, and my now 16 year old nephew is a straight A student and on track to be an Eagle Scout). I was awkward if someone referred to me as his mom when my step-sister was around, but the most awkward was when my step-dad and I took nephew out for breakfast one day - the waitress assumed I was his mom and my step-dad was my husband/nephew's dad! I was 23/24 at the time, and my step dad was 60ish.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/19/2017 at 11:56 AM, Suz8710 said:

So...I too don't agree with the address posting and I do think it was a genuine mistake, but I did a little digging and that's also the site of Josh's car business. Check out his super cool website (barf): 

https://www.carsforsale.com/used-car-dealer/champion-motorcars-springdale-ar-d701724

"We are Northwest Arkansas' largest grass-bed Wholesale Car Dealership!" :my_cry:

Most of those cars have over 200,000 miles on them. I'm surprised they can sell any of them.

1 hour ago, anotherone said:

Most of those cars have over 200,000 miles on them. I'm surprised they can sell any of them.

I had to convert miles to Kilometres to understand how far they've done.

I don't understand who would by a car that's been that far?

5 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

People buy them because they're cheap. Arkansas is a poor state with no public transportation. Also, cars are lasting longer now, and many are still driving well at over 200K.

26 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

People buy them because they're cheap. Arkansas is a poor state with no public transportation. Also, cars are lasting longer now, and many are still driving well at over 200K.

I understand the need for cars (I live in suburbia, in an area severely lacking any transport but cars!) and them lasting longer, but surely there are other less used options out there? I feel like here you just don't see cars for sale that have done distances like that.

I think at a point they just become unregisterable or and uninsurable, unless they're maintained and in good condition of course. We actually have a compulsory insurance/registration in my state that makes it illegal to drive the vehicle without it. If you can't pass the inspection, you can't get the insurance. It covers injury to people and third party property (say a fence) in an accident.

Obviously older cars can have more issues. It becomes more difficult to repair and replace old parts, and changing laws and safety regulations over time make older cars more difficult to keep on the road. I just feel like if people are buying a car, they will go for the best value for their budget. Surely at these prices, there are cars less likely to have so much wear and tear associated with these distances?

With all of this talk i feel like sharing too. I'm 14 years older than my cousin. The first time I was mistaken for her mom I was 15 and pushing her stroller in a store. Last time was a few months ago when I took her for an ice cream. I've always acted very mommy-ish to her, Just the way I am, but I hope I don't look old enough to have a 6 year-old kid right no :pb_lol:

6 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

Buy used and save the difference!

14 hours ago, Kelsey said:

I pulled it up on street view. 

At the time that the Google Street View car rolled by, Josh had 11 vehicles for sale. Not a big selection. The "lot" is grass.

No way to can you feed, house and clothe a family of 7 with an 11-car lot. If the TLC money dried up, Josh would be serious screwed.

And is Joseph supposed to support a future family with this 11-car lot as well??

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

A family friend owns a car lot.  He says it's very tricky to buy a used car nowadays because hardly anyone ever takes good care of their car, they just tend to drive them into the ground. He gets trade-ins with no oil in them.  According to him, after about 80,000 miles if you don't know the owner personally you should be very wary.  I don't think I'd take a chance on a flipped used car at 200k.   Remember, they buy them at auctions so who knows where they came from.  I just can't imagine that as my career.

34 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

No way to can you feed, house and clothe a family of 7 with an 11-car lot. If the TLC money dried up, Josh would be serious screwed.

And is Joseph supposed to support a future family with this 11-car lot as well??

I've been away from FJ for a while. Is Josh still earning money from TLC? Or do you mean any money that he may have socked away during the Duggars' glory days on TLC?

17 minutes ago, BlackSheep said:

I've been away from FJ for a while. Is Josh still earning money from TLC? Or do you mean any money that he may have socked away during the Duggars' glory days on TLC?

Anna's earning money from TLC, and money is fungible, so Josh might as well be getting paid by them.

6 hours ago, BlackSheep said:

Yeah, I'm curious too. And are you folks implying this car lot is now Josh's? I thought it was the one he sold to that family friend of his?

cars and mileage...

My husband's 1999 SUV has 190K miles on it. When we bought it, it had 133K miles on it. Paid cash for it (bought it at a regular dealership). We've driven it literally all over the country and the damn thing WILL NOT DIE! Finding parts for older cars is not really an issue at all. Well, maybe some body parts for some cars but in reality, the internals don't change much from year to year. A friend restored a 1960 Corvette last year...he's currently working on a 1965 U code Mustang (in the first 50 produced) and is having no problem finding parts. Out here in NV, if your vehicle is a classic (over 25 years old) you don't have to get it smogged. Insuring them is not a problem either. Heck, we were offered full coverage on that 18 year old SUV! 

IF you are going to buy a vehicle with high mileage, take it to a good mechanic (preferably an independent mechanic) and have them go over it all. You can find good deals. Getting it registered and insured is rarely an issue. 

Yes I'm a car geek too...

As for being mistaken as someone's mom when it comes to family ~ I'm 15 years older than my oldest brother, 16 years older than my middle brother, and 17 years older than my youngest brother.  Everybody assumed I was the mother.  Like, always.  One time, I took all three of them, and three neighbor kids (around their ages) to Chuckie Cheese's, and the lady was like, "Are they all yours?!" (I was 22 at the time), and I'm like, "What?  I would have had to start at 15, and had a few twins in between @___@"

However this was in the early 2000's, and I think with more and more women having kids into their forties, my Mom (who looks to be in her forties, though she's in her fifties), has often been asked if my children (4 and almost 3), are hers ~ though in her case, she takes it as compliment ;)

1 minute ago, Fun Undies said:

However this was in the early 2000's, and I think with more and more women having kids into their forties, my Mom (who looks to be in her forties, though she's in her fifties), has often been asked if my children (4 and almost 3), are hers ~ though in her case, she takes it as compliment ;)

In my area a women having 2 young kids in their in 40's is pretty common if they were their the person grandchildren people would be surprised. 

I'm a dog sitter and a client of mine just tuned 50. Her son is 10. I have an old high school classmate who is 36 and her daughter is in the same class as my clients son. 

On 3/21/2017 at 7:59 AM, HereticHick said:

It's not just that it's 11 cars, the most expensive car in that lot is listed at $5450, and the next one down is $4450. The rest of the cars are less than $4000.

How much could a dealer possibly be making on those kinds of prices? And what's the overhead for the lot? Less than at the physical car lots Josh used to have, presumably, but does any profit have to be split up? If so, how much?

Basically, I can't see how this could support even Josh himself, let alone Anna and the 4 (soon to be 5) M-kids. This has serious issues for family fiscal sustainability if it's his only source of income. God will provide? :roll:

2 hours ago, metheglyn said:

It's not just that it's 11 cars, the most expensive car in that lot is listed at $5450, and the next one down is $4450. The rest of the cars are less than $4000.

How much could a dealer possibly be making on those kinds of prices? And what's the overhead for the lot? Less than at the physical car lots Josh used to have, presumably, but does any profit have to be split up? If so, how much?

Basically, I can't see how this could support even Josh himself, let alone Anna and the 4 (soon to be 5) M-kids. This has serious issues for family fiscal sustainability if it's his only source of income. God will provide? :roll:

My guess is that it's a fake/makework job. Jim Bob's actually supporting them, so that he can keep Josh under control.

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

My guess is that it's a fake/makework job. Jim Bob's actually supporting them, so that he can keep Josh under control.

Yes I agree that this is the case.

Cheating cannot be forgiven and even though Josh has done even worse things in the past, this is the thing JB keeps him closely monitored for.

Thinking about this family gives me a headache!

On 3/21/2017 at 9:53 AM, choralcrusader8613 said:

Anna's earning money from TLC, and money is fungible, so Josh might as well be getting paid by them.

I'm sure she's not allowed to keep it for herself anyway. I bet she's always handed it over to him.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived