IGNORED

Mike Pence: Almost as bad as Trump but he might not get us killed

RoseWilder

Since Mike Pence has his own controversies swirling around him, I thought I would start a thread for the slimy, hypocritical weasel:

Pence insists that his email scandal is totally different from Hillary's: 

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/pence-says-his-private-email-use-was-not-the-same-as-clintons/ 

Vice President Mike Pence on Friday said there was “no comparison whatsoever” between his use of a private email account for state business while he was governor of Indiana and the email woes of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Clinton’s use of a private email server during her time in government became a major point of criticism against her as the Democratic nominee during the 2016 presidential election by Pence, the running mate of President Donald Trump, and others involved in the Republican campaign.

I hate that man so much. What a sleazebag. 

• Upvote 11

Good idea @RoseWilder!

I like this article with great Twitter reactions to Pence's email situation. My favorites:

It is OK for Mike Pence to use personal email for the same reason it's OK for Jeff Sessions to lie to Congress! THEY ARE NOT CALLED HILLARY!

and

BREAKING: Mike Pence's personal AOL email account used for state business was hacked but, good news, his MySpace account is fine.

The pictures of Tomi Lahren are good too!

• Upvote 11

Pot calling the kettle black? I do agree that he might be a little better than who we have. I would rather have someone who can fix this mess and put the country back together. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

Oh good grief, he's picking fights with the press now too. Hasn't he noticed how badly that's going for Trump?

http://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/associated-press-refuses-back-mike-pence-attacks-private-email-scandal/1793/

Pence sent a nasty letter to the AP on letterhead from the “Office of the Vice President.” That means he used the power of his office to attack and threaten the media – a trick he appears to have learned from his boss Trump. But the AP is refusing to back down, declining to retract the email address from its story, and refusing to apologize for doing its job.

• Upvote 10

22 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

Oh good grief, he's picking fights with the press now too. Hasn't he noticed how badly that's going for Trump?

http://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/associated-press-refuses-back-mike-pence-attacks-private-email-scandal/1793/

Isn't this unconstitutional? And therefore impeachable? Can vice-presidents even be impeached (or whatever it's called when a vp is kicked out of office)?

As things stand at the moment, I'm actually glad Pence is doing this kind of thing. When they impeach the peach-colored parasite, they can impeach him too, and get rid of the whole lot of them in one foul swoop. Wouldn't that be something... 

Wishful thinking, I know...

• Upvote 7

40 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Isn't this unconstitutional? And therefore impeachable? Can vice-presidents even be impeached (or whatever it's called when a vp is kicked out of office)?

As things stand at the moment, I'm actually glad Pence is doing this kind of thing. When they impeach the peach-colored parasite, they can impeach him too, and get rid of the whole lot of them in one foul swoop. Wouldn't that be something... 

Wishful thinking, I know...

The VP can be removed from office by Congress. There is no chance whatsoever that the current Congress would take Pence out, no matter what he did. However, if both the president and VP are removed from office or incapacitated, the next in the line of succession is Speaker of the House. So we would have Paul Ryan. Definitely not an improvement.

• Upvote 5

I am genuinely interested (well, that's putting it mildly!) in what will happen when the whole Russian Connection Corruption Collusion thing eventually explodes. What will happen when all of them are outed as colluding with the Russians? There is no contingency plan for this, as far as I have gathered. So what do you guys think will transpire then? 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

I am genuinely interested (well, that's putting it mildly!) in what will happen when the whole Russian Connection Corruption Collusion thing eventually explodes. What will happen when all of them are outed as colluding with the Russians? There is no contingency plan for this, as far as I have gathered. So what do you guys think will transpire then? 

There's a long line of succession with respect to the presidency.  Eventually, they'll get to someone not involved.  It would be quite the scandal though.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Childless said:

There's a long line of succession with respect to the presidency.  Eventually, they'll get to someone not involved.  It would be quite the scandal though.

Actually, I don't think James Mattis has Russian ties, at least I haven't seen anything about them. He's #6 in line. We'd just have to go through the tangerine toddler, Pence, Ryan, Orrin Hatch, Tillerson, and Mnuchin to get to him. Each of those guys is awful in his own way.

• Upvote 4

@louisa05 provided an excellent description of the 25th amendment and the line of succession in one of the Trump threads. If Pence was impeached, the Senate would approve a new vice president. The only way Paul Ryan would become president is if something happened to both Trump and Pence at the same time, like a terrorist attack killing them both.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Ali said:

@louisa05 provided an excellent description of the 25th amendment and the line of succession in one of the Trump threads. If Pence was impeached, the Senate would approve a new vice president. The only way Paul Ryan would become president is if something happened to both Trump and Pence at the same time, like a terrorist attack killing them both.

Yes, I was going with removing them all at once. In that case, the first five would have to be knocked out simultaneously to put Mattis in charge.

Edited by GreyhoundFan
  • Upvote 2

Is it bad that I keep thinking of the Tom Clancy novel where he has terrorists crash a plane into the capital building during a state of the union and wipes everyone out?  

• Upvote 14

8 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Is it bad that I keep thinking of the Tom Clancy novel where he has terrorists crash a plane into the capital building during a state of the union and wipes everyone out?  

Then we're both bad, Clueless, because I think of the show Designated Survivor. 

• Upvote 12

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

That makes three of us. I wonder who the Designated Survivor is now... 

Let the speculation begin!

• Upvote 8

Pence should read more of the Bible he claims to love so he could get to the part where it says your sins will always be found out. So what happens when the VP is caught in a blatant lie? 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Pence should read more of the Bible he claims to love so he could get to the part where it says your sins will always be found out. So what happens when the VP is caught in a blatant lie? 

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Anyway, he wasn't lying. He was telling an alternative truth.

• Upvote 11

6 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Anyway, he wasn't lying. He was telling an alternative truth.

In this administration? It means he's due for a promotion.

Personally, I'd love to promote him to prisoner.

• Upvote 9

"Pence relies more on charm than oratory to push the GOP health-care plan in Kentucky"

Vice President Pence was in full charm mode Saturday when he touched down here for a visit to try to sell the Republican health-care plan in a state that has a complex relationship with former president Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act.

Just a day earlier, Kentucky’s Republican Gov. Matt Bevin had told reporters that while he is eager to overhaul Obama’s health plan, he found himself skeptical of the initial Republican proposal and more in line with the views of Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who has been an outspoken opponent of the bill.

Paul, Bevin said, “is not impressed with what has currently been offered. Truth be told, I’m not, either. So I’m with him.”

Um, charm and Pence are two words I would never think would be uttered in the same breath. Charmless would be more apropos.

• Upvote 8

• 3 weeks later...

"Pence’s unwillingness to be alone with a woman is a symptom of a bigger problem"

No one will be surprised to learn that Vice President Pence is not a loose, casual, fun-lovin’ guy. But many people were surprised to read this little tidbit in Ashley Parker’s recent Post profile of Pence’s wife, Karen:

“In 2002, Mike Pence told the Hill that he never eats alone with a woman other than his wife and that he won’t attend events featuring alcohol without her by his side, either.”

It’s easy to make jokes about, and it’s also easy to argue that this is nobody’s business but the Pences’. But there’s a deeply troubling worldview at work here, one that has profound implications for policy — and we’re already seeing it play out at both the state and federal levels.

Let’s take just a moment to consider this pair of rules Mike Pence has for himself. He obviously thinks that every interaction he has with a woman is so sexually charged that it’s safe to be around them only if there are other people there, too. Unless someone might be drinking, in which case even the presence of a crowd isn’t enough to prevent … something from happening. There’s little distance between that perspective and that of the ultra-Orthodox Jews who refuse to sit next to a woman on an airplane, or the fundamentalist Muslims who demand that women be covered head to toe to contain the unstoppable sexual allure that renders men unable to control their urges.

I’m sure Pence would say that he’s just being careful. But I wonder if he realizes the discriminatory consequences of his rule. Over his career, he has had many colleagues and employees. With the men, he can have complex relationships that traverse work and social contexts, build trust, and eventually help their careers. A woman who hoped Pence would be a mentor to her, on the other hand, wouldn’t be able to avail herself of those opportunities, since he can’t even have lunch with her.

Any ambitious woman can tell you how this is repeated in workplaces all over the country every day: The men in the office go out for drinks, have meals together and play golf, and the women have to fight to be included in places where deals are made and careers are advanced.

I don’t know if Pence ever had a woman as a boss, but his current boss is in a way his mirror image. Where Pence is reluctant and apparently fearful of too much contact with women, President Trump has boasted of being aggressive and predatory (provided they’re good-looking enough). Pence won’t eat with them; Trump brags of grabbing them by the … well, you know. And listen to Trump at this celebration of Women’s History Month on Wednesday:

As Trump addressed the group, he marveled at how his wife’s “poll numbers went through the roof last year” and recognized the women serving in his administration, strong female leaders throughout history and some of the women he had met over the past month.

“So as a man, I stand before you as president, but if I weren’t president, I wouldn’t be happy to hear that statement — that would be a very scary statement to me because there’s no way we can compete with you,” Trump said. “So I would not be happy. Just wouldn’t be happy.”

Coming from someone who has assembled the most male-heavy administration in years, that’s the kind of patronizing joke that can be made precisely because everyone knows it’s not true. It’s like the man who kiddingly refers to his wife as “the boss.” It’s funny because we know he doesn’t actually believe it.

Keep in mind that Trump very much got elected on the grievance of men who feel as though they’ve lost their place atop the social hierarchy. That’s the most compelling explanation of why Trump did so spectacularly well among evangelical Christians despite his libertine lifestyle and lack of religiosity: He promised a return to a patriarchal social order in which the supremacy of men was unquestioned. Others thrilled to his willingness to offend and insult; at last, a politician was telling them that they didn’t have to mind their manners anymore, so they donned their “Trump That Bitch” T-shirts and chanted “Lock her up!” at his rallies.

As Jill Filipovic recently noted, Trump’s repeated photo ops in which he surrounds himself with a bunch of men as they discuss (or celebrate) limiting women’s rights has become too common to be an accident. “For liberal women, this latest all-male photo is a visualization of our worst fears realized. For many Trump supporters, though, it’s evidence of a promise fulfilled.”

This is all getting translated into policy. Republicans are preparing yet again to defund Planned Parenthood. All over the country, Republican lawmakers are moving to restrict women’s rights in ways that treat them as vessels for childbearing who are unworthy of their own autonomy. In Iowa, Republicans introduced a bill that would not only ban all abortions after six weeks of pregnancy, but also require any woman under the age of 18 or any unmarried woman of any age to get her parents’ permission before getting an abortion. (After an outcry, the bill was withdrawn and replaced with a new 20-week ban.)

I'm sorry, but Pence is freaking creepy. And the ridiculous attitude about women, well, don't get me started...

• Upvote 18

24 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

"Pence’s unwillingness to be alone with a woman is a symptom of a bigger problem"

I'm sorry, but Pence is freaking creepy. And the ridiculous attitude about women, well, don't get me started...

Wow, Pence is quite the scaredy cat when it comes to women.  Apparently, we're so awesomely powerful that we can render him a blithering idiot unable to control himself by just being alone with him.  Maybe that's the reason men are so eager to limit our freedoms.  They know we're superior and they're afraid of being marginalized by us.

• Upvote 13

27 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

OMG, I just did a spit-take! I love it!

• Upvote 9

On March 10, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Audrey2 said:

Same here. I watched the first few episodes but since the election the idea of the government completely going to shit is too real.

I bet Pence's boggart is a vagina. What an asshole.

• Upvote 7

34 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Same here. I watched the first few episodes but since the election the idea of the government completely going to shit is too real.

I bet Pence's boggart is a vagina. What an asshole.

I like the President. It's nice, after the most awful disaster has struck, that a good man is President and trying to do his best for the country. (Not saying the President has to be a man- a good woman would have worked too, but the detractors would have said the show was promoting Hillary.) Trump is not a good man, the Congress has too many vile people, and I don't feel like Trump is trying to do his best for his country. He's trying to do his best for Trump. In a weird way, the show gives me hope. 

• Upvote 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic