IGNORED

Sister Wives is back!!!

DamnPrecious

In all honesty, I think the Browns, especially Kody, turned this whole investigation into a bigger ordeal than it was. Yes, the police were doing an investigation but because he's legally married to only Meri and found no proof was found that the children were being abused so they didn't pursue to convict them for polygamy. Correct me if I'm wrong but Hugh Hefner was still married and living with a few girlfriends yet the cops didn't go after him, so how is this in anyway different from the Browns?

Secondly, who gave Robyn the right to decide the kids should not make religious decisions until they're adults?! The older ones are what? 15/16/17? I think they're mature enough to decide for themselves. Plus, I cannot stand how many times I see Robyn cry over every little thing that you can imagine. I don't think I've seen an episode where she didn't cry.

Lastly, I do feel really bad for Jenelle. She was the bread winner for the family and the fact that Kody didn't take her side into consideration really pissed me off. She's said before that she prefers to work and not be a traditional house wife so for Kody to just say "Well, I'm sorry, we're moving!" makes him look like an ass. She doesn't seem too happy having to quit her job and move to another state all because they feared of being prosecuted.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utah has unique laws regarding cohabitation because most polygamists do not legally marry so they need another avenue of prosecution. I think they wanted to move to a state where cohabitation is not illegal, and Nevada has similar terrain/landscape and is nearby. Is the economy there worse than in other parts of the country?

Utah has unique laws regarding cohabitation because most polygamists do not legally marry so they need another avenue of prosecution. I think they wanted to move to a state where cohabitation is not illegal, and Nevada has similar terrain/landscape and is nearby. Is the economy there worse than in other parts of the country?

Yes, Utah has a law against "unlawful cohabitation." So, yes, living with someone you're not married to is a crime in Utah, EVEN IF you're not married to anyone else. (Some polygamists had married no wives legally.) No one has been prosecuted for unlawful cohabitation (or "uc") since the early 1960s. One reason is because it's easier to prove other crimes, like child sexual abuse aka "underage marriage" or welfare fraud.

The other reason is that there's an open question as to whether or not banning polygamy is unconstitutional, for religious reasons. If you go back and read the old Supreme Court polygamy cases (e.g., Reynolds v. U.S.), some of the reasoning is hard to deal with because it doesn't take into account modern First Amendment jurisprudence. (In other words, it's wrong because it's wrong, not because it fits within the Lemon test or any other analytical tool used today.) The LDS Church has officially left polygamy behind and there is NO push to go back to it, none whatsoever. Consequently, the elected leadership in Utah, most of whom are Mormons, would prefer not even to open that can of worms by prosecuting someone for uc.

Then Robyn goes into the bathroom with Mariah and Mariah tells her that she's happy for them and the for the new baby but she's really hurting for her mom. They hug it out and Robyn is still bawling her eyes out.

I am not fond of this arrangement but can you imagine one of the Duggar girls saying anything against Michelle having more kids?

I thought Janelle had been fired. I remember her saying "I was fired because I have sister wives."

Preview for next week looks interesting. One of the teen boys said he doesn't think he wants "this lifestyle." Janelle said something like "what did I do wrong".

I thought Janelle had been fired. I remember her saying "I was fired because I have sister wives."

Preview for next week looks interesting. One of the teen boys said he doesn't think he wants "this lifestyle." Janelle said something like "what did I do wrong".

That was Meri.

I get the feeling that they raised the kids with a very "You can be whatever faith YOU choose!" outlook, but assumed the whole time that most of the kids would follow their faith, or, at most, go more mainstream LDS. It's a sort of self centered "why wouldn't my kids want to be just like meeeee?" assumption, but I think one that a lot of parents make. I think we'll see some drama when it starts becoming more apparent that some of these teens don't intend to follow the family's religion or go mainstream LDS - particularly from Kody/Robyn/Christine. I can see Kody trying to strong arm a teen / adult child into remaining in their faith, or Robyn tearfully sobbing that she doesn't want an EVIL protestant/agnostic/buddhist half sibling around her BABY.

This was Meri.

This was Christine.

This family befuddles me to no end.

The first three "wives" seem to be reasonably intelligent, independent thinkers. What the hell do they see in that ditzy, bleached blond overgrown teenager?

He's not the strong alpha male type, and he's certainly not helping breed good looks or intelligence into the gene pool. It doesn't sound as though he was able to support the brood without substantial financial help from one of the women (and now the show, of course). And I doubt a guy with the emotional IQ of a 15 year old boy could be all that good in bed.

So what is it, ladies? You like the sisterhood. Fine. You've had your kids, so go do the Kate and Allie thing now if you want to raise them together. By leaving Kooky Kody behind, you won't have to worry about the law or pregnant new young thangs invading your space, and you can even let your kids be Presbyterian if you want.

(I'm guessing TLC set up the meeting with the Presbyterian minister. While I feel sorry for the kids for getting so many screwed up, mixed messages solely for the sake of reality TV, it was pretty funny.)

I know! This is exactly what I think every time I watch the show. Kody is an idiot and I would not date him for a second. The wives are all waaaaay too good for him - especially Meri and Janelle. As far as maturity goes, Meri and Janelle both seem about thirty years older than Kody, even though they are close in age. Yet Kody seems to get the final say on a lot of important decisions (although obviously he does listen to the wives' input).

But what the hey, Kody has given them all a family and that is what they wanted...

I like Kody's quote on the recent previews "I'm afraid that my kids' peers will have more influence on them than I do". I keep thinking "I really hope so!"

I like Kody's quote on the recent previews "I'm afraid that my kids' peers will have more influence on them than I do". I keep thinking "I really hope so!"

Oh, me too.

The kids all seem fairly normal, so I'm not sure Kody has ever had much influence on them.

Oh, me too.

The kids all seem fairly normal, so I'm not sure Kody has ever had much influence on them.

I swear the Browns seem awfully naive. Teen's peers always have more influence on them that the parents do. The truth is that these parents have reached the limit on the influence they will be having on their older teens. especially since they moved away from their comfort zone to a diverse town like Vegas. Especially since they've put themselves on TV, giving the peers an instant source of conversation.

RadarOnline.com story up now stating "Sister Wives Daughter Doesn't Support Religion!" Uh, hello??? She's 17ish - that's what she is SUPPOSED to do. Instead of being reactionary, why don't you share your beliefs in an adult way??

RadarOnline.com story up now stating "Sister Wives Daughter Doesn't Support Religion!" Uh, hello??? She's 17ish - that's what she is SUPPOSED to do. Instead of being reactionary, why don't you share your beliefs in an adult way??

And let's face it, this isn't just "I want you to go to Sunday School if you're living under my roof" kind of stuff. The older kids are going to public school, and they are on a reality show showcasing their family situation, so they know full well they aren't living under typical circumstances. And while they all seem to get along farily well, I don't doubt they think their mothers' situations are pretty effed up. Especially the girls, and although I haven't counted, there seems to be a ton more girls than boys in the family. I'd be surprised if any of these kids end up in the "lifestyle" when they grow up; I just can't see why they'd see it as beneficial.

Sorry I posted this in another thread on another spot on the board....

I am just watching tonights episodes -- did anyone else notice the questionable/suggestive touch between Hunter (Janelle's son) and Mariah (Meri's dtr)? In the scene they are giving all the teens a dating talk...

Edited: To fix one of the kid's names. I can't keep them all straight....

Archived