IGNORED

Dillards 27 - Allergies, Fever, and the Dangers of Being a White Baby

choralcrusader8613

2 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I'm not trying to defend, I'm just wondering, maybe the Dillards don't have a tub? Perhaps they have a shower stall? I'm not sure what their bathroom there is like. Maybe they'll grift a tub soon from that cold shower post? 

A kitchen sink would work.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Heathen = non-Christian.

Heretic = Christian with contrary beliefs.

I am both a heretic and a heathen depending on which moment you ask me. :) 

Thank you! Ok so I'm a heathen! 

I think these kind of menfolk absolutely do not ever want to work outside the home. I actually read one of the Duggar books several years ago & have some memory of this.  Something about staying home/working from home = closer family, but I imagine that it is really just to keep control of the wives.

1 hour ago, Pukingpearl said:

I really don't like Jill or Derrick, but am I the only one who sometimes enjoys cool water for a shower? If you don't have AC and are in a tropical climate, it can be refreshing. Forgive me if the temp was frigid on the day of this incident. 

Again, Jilly Bean has always been my least favorite Duggar (never liked ass kissers), so I hope I'm missing something. This just seems to be the least of her sins to me.

Speaking from experience, yes, in the tropics, a warm vs a hot shower is very refreshing.

25 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Weird to shower a toddler, though. Mine is older now, but like @Gemini's grandbaby, showers were terrible times for youngsters.  The bath was a completely different story -- loved it and could have stayed there for hours.  

In Jill's defense, showering might be easier for her, and he might like them. I gave my daugher her first shower when she was a little younger than Izzy is now. I was pregnant with my little guy, and showering my toddler was less of a literal pain somehow than giving her a bath. I thought it would be a nightmare, and would've gone back to baths if she hated it, but she loved it. She was never really into baths, so I guess it makes sense that she likes the shower. Maybe Izzy is a strange one like my kiddo, liking showers instead. 

I have the perfect place for JillyMuffin and Dreck...Newburgh Indiana...it's damn close to the middle of nowhere and it's as bassasswards as they are...I lived there for almost 8 HORRIBLE years...Hauled my ass back to the safety of the east coast as soon as the ink on the divorce decree was dry...then I went nuts and headed for the desert...

2 minutes ago, BadMammaJana said:

In Jill's defense, showering might be easier for her, and he might like them. I gave my daugher her first shower when she was a little younger than Izzy is now. I was pregnant with my little guy, and showering my toddler was less of a literal pain somehow than giving her a bath. I thought it would be a nightmare, and would've gone back to baths if she hated it, but she loved it. She was never really into baths, so I guess it makes sense that she likes the shower. Maybe Izzy is a strange one like my kiddo, liking showers instead. 

Except that it was a cold shower, and she implies that he wasn't happy about it, since they had to help him in (I read that as "force him in") and move quickly to clean him.  Obviously, if the kid is happy and healthy, NBD.  But given the mountain of extremely questionable moments the Dullards have had as a family unit, I tend to worry a bit more about Izzy, his needs, and the ability of his caretakers to provide for those needs.   

Here's her explanation, which includes stating that Izzy is now too big for the sink: 

"Although the thought of a cold shower with year-round, summer-like weather doesn’t sound too bad, it normally takes some getting used to at the beginning. Israel wasn’t so sure about the cold shower, but he has outgrown the sink for sure now, so we had to try the shower. He held his hand in the water for a long time waiting for the water to warm up before we finally had to help him get in and quickly get cleaned up."

Sounds like Izzy wanted something warmer (especially if the house is cool from A/C), but didn't get it.  I don't think it's going to kill him, but I do think it's yet another case of Jill and Dreck both having heads on their shoulders, but no evidence of brains in their heads. Her posts really indicate that she has no understanding of how others will respond.   Like the pic where Izzy was too big for swaddling, yet was swaddled, screaming, and crying -- so Silly takes and posts a pic of THAT, instead of comforting the baby both physically and emotionally. Or when he was licking a tall metal fan, and she posted a pic to laugh and say how cool the metal was for his teething gums.  There are so many instances of really potentially dangerous moments in the Dullards' parenting journey -- even that burn could have been much worse.

ETA: or the way she keeps feeding him from cans, then posting pix. WTH? Why? How does she consider that normal behavior?

Just...get it together, Jill, FFS.  But honestly, I have fewer and fewer hopes for that.  The older she gets, the more it seems that Jill has been molded into a top-notch follower, ready to take orders from the leader and exist in a large group...but NEVER think for herself or even for her child(ren). 

3 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

2 things: when will they return? I was thinking either before Easter or right after Easter. She's due in July and isn't it not recommended that you not fly after 6 months? 

Can JD and his plane fly to El Salvador and back? Maybe Jill doesn't intend to fly commercial. My guess is that she returns in early June for a late June wedding, and she won't be in the wedding party.

Jill has NO excuses.

She's photographed herself at a store that sells both baby/toddler tubs and large plastic storage bins.  Both are RIDICULOUSLY cheap, and especially with large plastic storage bins, incredibly practical (you can store your kid's bath toys and toiletries in them).  She doesn't have a bath tub? Fine. But she has 0 excuses not to get something like this. 

Izzy doesn't like baths? Fine. Sponge bathe him (aka soap him down) and rinse him off with a small bucket of warm water. Again, cheap and not hard.

No one has bath tubs in China. Much of the population doesn't even have their own private bathroom, let alone water heaters.  Yet somehow, besides having far less money than the Dillards, they all wash their kids without forcing them into cold showers. It's honestly neither costly nor hard to do, and there are eleventy billion ways to do it because, spoiler alert, having a bathtub and plumbed hot water are LUXURIES many people around the world will never have.  

You want to know what the problem REALLY is? 

Jill Duggar Dillard is undereducated and NEVER learned to think outside the box or problem solve. If it didn't happen in the TTH, she cannot process it. That's why she has no idea how to live in a country with a different language, customs, and without first world luxuries. 

I don't know that Jill has ever had an original thought in her entire life.  She has never been encouraged to even form her own opinions let alone think for herself. She was raised to believe a headship would do her thinking for her, and I don't think she's about to start thinking on her own now.

Meanwhile, her headship is either unwilling to concern himself with women's work or NEEDS Jill to handle at least some things like the adult she is supposed to be. 

Honestly these two idiots deserve each other, but I feel for poor Izzy and #2.

When my kids were little, there were these plastic visors that were sold that allowed a little one to shower or have their hair washed in the shower without the water getting on the face or in their eyes. When my GD was a baby, I looked for one and could not find one. I also could not find one of those BT rings that the babies would sit in the big tub. Maybe the rings were removed from the market because some parents left their kids unattended in the tub? IDK. Those visors worked really well.

46 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Except that it was a cold shower, and she implies that he wasn't happy about it, since they had to help him in (I read that as "force him in") and move quickly to clean him.  Obviously, if the kid is happy and healthy, NBD.  But given the mountain of extremely questionable moments the Dullards have had as a family unit, I tend to worry a bit more about Izzy, his needs, and the ability of his caretakers to provide for those needs.   

Here's her explanation, which includes stating that Izzy is now too big for the sink: 

"Although the thought of a cold shower with year-round, summer-like weather doesn’t sound too bad, it normally takes some getting used to at the beginning. Israel wasn’t so sure about the cold shower, but he has outgrown the sink for sure now, so we had to try the shower. He held his hand in the water for a long time waiting for the water to warm up before we finally had to help him get in and quickly get cleaned up."

Sounds like Izzy wanted something warmer (especially if the house is cool from A/C), but didn't get it.  I don't think it's going to kill him, but I do think it's yet another case of Jill and Dreck both having heads on their shoulders, but no evidence of brains in their heads. Her posts really indicate that she has no understanding of how others will respond.   Like the pic where Izzy was too big for swaddling, yet was swaddled, screaming, and crying -- so Silly takes and posts a pic of THAT, instead of comforting the baby both physically and emotionally. Or when he was licking a tall metal fan, and she posted a pic to laugh and say how cool the metal was for his teething gums.  There are so many instances of really potentially dangerous moments in the Dullards' parenting journey -- even that burn could have been much worse.

Just...get it together, Jill, FFS.  But honestly, I have fewer and fewer hopes for that.  The older she gets, the more it seems that Jill has been molded into a top-notch follower, ready to take orders from the leader and exist in a large group...but NEVER think for herself or even for her child(ren). 

How about papa (because we all know Jill wouldn't do it) should shower with him-

2 hours ago, Pukingpearl said:

I really don't like Jill or Derrick, but am I the only one who sometimes enjoys cool water for a shower? If you don't have AC and are in a tropical climate, it can be refreshing. Forgive me if the temp was frigid on the day of this incident. 

Personally, yes, I find cool showers very pleasant... but I'm an adult and I can make my own choices about the temperature I want.

If you read the description of the incident, Israel found it unpleasant and had to be "helped" in because he was resisting getting in the cold water and "quickly" dried off and redressed so he'd be comfortable again. It's pretty clear from how Jill stated it that he didn't find it enjoyable at all.

I would have zero issue with it if, say, Israel was overheated and Jill used a cool shower to make him more comfortable. It's not per se the fact that the shower wasn't hot that people are questioning.

It's that they made Israel uncomfortable in the presence of multiple other valid options  to prevent this discomfort simply because they were either too lacking in resourcefulness to think of another way to handle the situation or too lazy to make an effort for him. 

When I visited Paraguay, I was staying in a hotel and it had one-minute limits on hot water. After that, it went to cold. I have very sensitive legs that break out if I shave with cold water (due to chill bumps), so it was interesting trying to shave as quickly as possible (and no bathtub). You might say I could try the sink, but that's always made me super sensitive legs break out, too. Anyway, I actually got used to the cold showers other than the leg shaving. It wasn't FRIGID, just cold. And I was there during "winter," which was still very hot/humid. I'm not a toddler, though. :D

Izzy is just too young to be forced into that situation. If a kid is 10 or 12, you can laugh and say come on, shower quickly or take a sponge bath for yourself. I could not force a young child to do something that could be painful fo him. I just don't like it. I guess I have gone on about that haven't I. 

Ugh. I hate hate hate the feeling of water on my face, it's almost phobia-level. And so I hated showers until I was 10 or so and got a little taller, and learned to mostly keep my face out of the water. The apartment building I grew up in used to shut off the hot water without warning on a fairly regular basis, too, so I'm positive my parents must have had to make do with cold water, boiling water and a tub. If they don't have a tub, I'm with everyone else here, get a bin or a plastic kiddie tub or pool. It doesn't sound like poor Izzy was okay with this situation at all. 

It's like Jill (and Derick to a lesser extent, cuz the menz don't take care of the babiezzz) thinks "eh, he's just a kid, his feelings aren't valid." Which is ridiculous on many levels, not least of all the fact that Jill was raised to have her life revolve around kids. I feel like I've said "poor Izzy" in every post I've ever made about the Dillards. Sigh.

Just now, 2manyKidzzz said:

Izzy is just too young to be forced into that situation. If a kid is 10 or 12, you can laugh and say come on, shower quickly or take a sponge bath for yourself. I could not force a young child to do something that could be painful fo him. I just don't like it. I guess I have gone on about that haven't I. 

Just give him a choice. "Izzy, you need to get clean.  Would you like to get in the shower, or would you like mama to wash you off and rinse you with a bucket?"

If Jill actually knew anything about child development, she'd know toddlers love being given limited options to choose from. 

Also it fools them because toddlers cannot conceive of extensive options.  Giving a toddler option A and option B usually completely pushes option C (neither) out of their minds.  But if you TELL them to do a single thing, NO is still an option for them. 

Argh that latest blog post is a right shitstorm of woe and despair. Coughs and colds and eye infections, fire ants, burns and cold showers. And their old contacts got shot and paralyzed and another is in poor health and probably isn't going to make it (so we should pray for him as an afterthought). Thank god they have beef jerky and banana bread for the locals.

Just picturing that cold shower scene in my head, I'm imagining Izzy screaming his head off (like in those pics of him wrapped up tight on the bed) while Jill or both of them hold him down to 'help' him have his cold shower. On my first reading of the post, I thought the cold shower was after his burn but that seems to be a different incident now. 

We don't even subject my dog a cold shower/bath. Sure she is a pampered spoiled pooch, she hates water and bath times enough as it is. We used to use a baby bath, but since it broke a while back, we now use a plastic container, it is not ideal but works fine. We boil the kettle several times, and heat water in pots on the hob so she can have a warm water in her bath. And also have several containers of warmed water lined up ready for rinsing her off at the end. No way would she tolerate a cold water. It is a bit time consuming and a hassle but not such a big deal. If Izzy is too big for the sink then they could buy a plastic container to use, simple solution really.

Anyway, I was more concerned to read about the burn he got , than the cold shower. Maybe that's because I badly burned my fingers last week taking my dinner plate from my Mum, not realising it was so hot. I was screaming and crying for hours, and applying burn spray for the rest of the evening.

Weird that Jill doesn't mention the baby at all, especially when she mentions her family being her special mission field work. I almost forgot she was pregnant reading that post. 

I wonder did they have to pay rent on their house over there while they came home for a few months. I assumed they packed up completely before leaving last time, and would be staying somewhere else this time until I read about Izzy finding his old toys.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

How about papa (because we all know Jill wouldn't do it) should shower with him-

Ugh! It's scary that this is probably true. Wouldn't want to defraud herself in front of the 2yr old :bangheaddesk:

2 hours ago, luxfilia said:

When I visited Paraguay, I was staying in a hotel and it had one-minute limits on hot water. After that, it went to cold. I have very sensitive legs that break out if I shave with cold water (due to chill bumps), so it was interesting trying to shave as quickly as possible (and no bathtub). You might say I could try the sink, but that's always made me super sensitive legs break out, too. Anyway, I actually got used to the cold showers other than the leg shaving. It wasn't FRIGID, just cold. And I was there during "winter," which was still very hot/humid. I'm not a toddler, though. :D

Oh I would seriously have to grow my hair out if that happened to me. Fur city would be trendy.

2 hours ago, amandaaries said:

I agree that she should've warmed the water up, I was just saying that I shower my toddler and I didn't think it was odd that she did that. It IS very dumb to not at least warm up the water so she could pour it on him, but yes, the easier solution would be a bath and at a comfy temperature for Izzy. 

I feel really bad for him and his brother. Even though Jill has been a sister mother for most of her life, she was still nowhere near ready or responsible enough to start having her own children. 

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

Just give him a choice. "Izzy, you need to get clean.  Would you like to get in the shower, or would you like mama to wash you off and rinse you with a bucket?"

If Jill actually knew anything about child development, she'd know toddlers love being given limited options to choose from. 

Also it fools them because toddlers cannot conceive of extensive options.  Giving a toddler option A and option B usually completely pushes option C (neither) out of their minds.  But if you TELL them to do a single thing, NO is still an option for them. 

Giving choices worked well for my girls. especially when they were little.   I think this is one of the techniques taught in How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk.  The grown daughters of the book's authors recently wrote How to Talk So Little Kids Will Listen and Listen So Little Kids Will Talk.   I gave a copies to two of my daughters with little kids and they have found it helpful.  Too bad that Jill would never read it, much less heed any of its wisdom.

Did anyone else think it was weird that Jill said they weren't used to fire ants back home in Arkansas? I grew up in Tennessee and remember when they first invaded the area super bad during my childhood (20+ years ago). Farms, playgrounds, and really any field or grassy area anywhere can become infested with them, and you can't really destroy them. They always come back somewhere nearby. I'm very surprised they don't have them in Arkansas, which has so much in common with Tennessee as far as climate, geography, etc., go. 

Actually, I just looked it up and there are plenty of fire ants in Arkansas. Jill's just misinformed once again.
http://articles.extension.org/pages/19975/information-for-arkansas-residents

I'm guessing that not many of us on FJ have spent much time in SCA, and yet we would be able to give a child a warm bath. Derick was an eagle scout. Good grief, it's either stupidity or laziness. Put a pot on the stove for warm water? Too much trouble, just put him in the shower.

Was visiting friends in Australia (Cairns) and I didn't have to turn on the hot tap for my showers. The cold water was warm enough. On a side note, I kept waiting for the kitchen water to be cold enough to drink, but it was always lukewarm. I'm from Canada; our cold water is really cold! Lol!

6 hours ago, Pukingpearl said:

Again, Jilly Bean has always been my least favorite Duggar (never liked ass kissers), so I hope I'm missing something. This just seems to be the least of her sins to me.

No. i grew up in the tropics (and moved away for my studies) and growing up, I always found a cool shower really refreshing after getting home on a particularly gross day. It was a nice way too just cool down and get all the sweat off me (anyone who has lived in a humid climate knows how sweaty you get after even just an hour outside) before then sitting down in the AC. 

Even now, I still enjoy a cool shower on a particularly hot summer day, even if I don't live in the tropics/a humid climate anymore. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived