IGNORED

Dillards 27 - Allergies, Fever, and the Dangers of Being a White Baby

choralcrusader8613

Boiling water on the stove and mixing it with colder water for the perfect temperature, really isn't a novel idea. How do two adults not know that this is possible? Pour some bubbles in it and Israel will think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Tell it how it really is Jill, you and Derick don't care enough to give Israel a hot bath. 

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not trying to defend, I'm just wondering, maybe the Dillards don't have a tub? Perhaps they have a shower stall? I'm not sure what their bathroom there is like. Maybe they'll grift a tub soon from that cold shower post? 

9 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I'm not trying to defend, I'm just wondering, maybe the Dillards don't have a tub? Perhaps they have a shower stall? I'm not sure what their bathroom there is like. Maybe they'll grift a tub soon from that cold shower post? 

Even if they don't have a tub, Izzy isn't very big. They must have a bucket kicking around or a plastic container. 

I don't have a tub, but when my hot water goes a pour a kettle of water in the sink and mix with cold water then stand in the shower and use a cup to pour the warm water over me. It's not hard, just annoying.

We don't have a tub, we had it taken out just before Christmas and had a wetroom installed instead. Great for me as I have back, hip and leg issues and was struggling with the bath, but horrific for Grandbean (2) who, we discovered on the day of installation, has an insane fear of showers. We tried getting in with her, spraying squirty bath foam around the room for her to jump on, all sorts! The next day I went out and bought a large plastic bucket and we haven't looked back. 

I really hope izzy isn't scared of the shower, it's bad enough to be forced to have a cold one, but to be scared of it too is just to cruel to imagine.

25 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Boiling water on the stove and mixing it with colder water for the perfect temperature, really isn't a novel idea. How do two adults not know that this is possible?

No kidding. Wasn't Derick an Eagle Scout? And he can't figure out to create a bucket of warm water? I guess they don't have a badge for that.

I wasn't the most skilled person when I left home at 17. When I was 24 and pregnant, our hot water got turned off by mistake when the neighbor sharing our duplex didn't pay their bill. My husband gave me a warm bath by boiling water on the stove and pouring it into the cold bath water. A full-sized tub! It was a lot of work. He knew I loved baths. He's not an Eagle Scout or a genius by any means, and yet he managed to figure it out without any third world training. 

12 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I think he's running away. I think Derick is running away from Jim Bob, and also struggling to cope with Jill's neediness. He probably had no idea what he was getting himself into and feels suffocated. Derick isn't assertive and that's probably why he passed Jim Bob's test, because he wasn't going to challenge the status quo. At the same time, he had previously lived independently, so having all that in-law interference must be overwhelming.

I think he is a big time avoider type who can't cope or handle confrontation. Not with his wife, nor Jim Bob, or anyone. 

Jim Bob told them where they were going to live as newlyweds. As a "gift." He "gifted" them his control of their lives. They were "gifted" to live in Jim Bob's house and therefore, at Jim Bob's mercy. What a crap gift. It's still happening. They will live in Jim Bob's guest house when they return. Derick needs to man up and get a job somewhere far, far away from Jim Bob, and not a runaway fake job in El Salvador. Maybe some "crunchy town" that embraces midwives and doulas, like Austin or Boulder. 

The Dullards would be so out of their element in Boulder. Honestly, I ca't even imagine them living there. It would be great for the LOLZ though. 

They need to find a small Southern town to harass. Maybe like Mississippi?

I grew up in an older house with a very finicky hot water heater that liked to go on strike during the coldest days of the winter. Filling the bathtub half full with cold water while boiling some water on the stove and walking it over always seemed to be common sense to me. Even with my low opinion of Derrick and Jill's collective intelligence I'm surprised they can't put this together.

Also, I can't imagine a toddler really liking a shower much; toddlers are so short, the water pressure probably feels uncomfortable on them. 

I grew up in Guyana S.A.....we never had hot water , We had a kettle that warmed water up for us and we poured it in a bucket with. But of cold water and used a small bowl to rinse ourselves off that way. It really was not a big deal. Or u can wait until midday on the weekends when the sun would warm the outside pump up enough so the water  coming out of the shower head would be warm enough to be considered a hot shower. Israel taking a quick cold shower in a hot climate is really not that bad. He may be uncomfortable for like what 5 minutes? And he will live to tell the tale. 

I think he's running away. I think Derick is running away from Jim Bob, and also struggling to cope with Jill's neediness. He probably had no idea what he was getting himself into and feels suffocated. Derick isn't assertive and that's probably why he passed Jim Bob's test, because he wasn't going to challenge the status quo. At the same time, he had previously lived independently, so having all that in-law interference must be overwhelming.

I think he is a big time avoider type who can't cope or handle confrontation. Not with his wife, nor Jim Bob, or anyone. 

Jim Bob told them where they were going to live as newlyweds. As a "gift." He "gifted" them his control of their lives. They were "gifted" to live in Jim Bob's house and therefore, at Jim Bob's mercy. What a crap gift. It's still happening. They will live in Jim Bob's guest house when they return. Derick needs to man up and get a job somewhere far, far away from Jim Bob, and not a runaway fake job in El Salvador. Maybe some "crunchy town" that embraces midwives and doulas, like Austin or Boulder. 

I might be the only one that thinks Derrick is being his true self. She met him in nepal. What did she expect? plus Jill has always said she wanted to be on the mission field. It's just a whole lot easier when you're not pregnant with a toddler. I think maybe he sees himself being completely tied down in a few years so while they only have a small amount of children , He can live his dream.  Sure it would be nice if Jill could be comfortable during this time but she signed up for this. She knew what she was getting when she married him. And even if Derrick felt like maybe she wasn't up to it I'm almost positive that Jill convinced him that she was  up for it. No way is she admitting that hey I know what I said before but this isn't what I want now. It's whatever Derrick wants. She doesn't mind suffering in silence. 

3 minutes ago, AlternativeVoice said:

I might be the only one that thinks Derrick is being his true self. She met him in nepal. What did she expect? plus Jill has always said she wanted to be on the mission field. It's just a whole lot easier when you're not pregnant with a toddler. I think maybe he sees himself being completely tied down in a few years so while they only have a small amount of children , He can live his dream.  Sure it would be nice if Jill could be comfortable during this time but she signed up for this. She knew what she was getting when she married him. And even if Derrick felt like maybe she wasn't up to it I'm almost positive that Jill convinced him that she was  up for it. No way is she admitting that hey I know what I said before but this isn't what I want now. It's whatever Derrick wants. She doesn't mind suffering in silence. 

I guess I just don't get why he managed to hold down the good job at Wal-Mart before there was a wife and kids, but now that he's got three dependents, there's no job in sight. 

I hope you're right that he'll fold up his tent and head home after a few years. The world does not need another John Schrader. 

I really don't like Jill or Derrick, but am I the only one who sometimes enjoys cool water for a shower? If you don't have AC and are in a tropical climate, it can be refreshing. Forgive me if the temp was frigid on the day of this incident. 

Again, Jilly Bean has always been my least favorite Duggar (never liked ass kissers), so I hope I'm missing something. This just seems to be the least of her sins to me.

I've been bathed in a sink and in the plastic half-bucked we used for doing the dishes.

Makes for great pictures to laugh over as you grow up and you can look at that very same sink / bucket and wonder how on earth you were ever small enough to fit in there.

Maybe Jill's just trying to make herself sound interesting? she needs something more than "I'm too scared to go out of the house, so this is just like TTH, only lonelier".

24 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I guess I just don't get why he managed to hold down the good job at Wal-Mart before there was a wife and kids, but now that he's got three dependents, there's no job in sight. 

I hope you're right that he'll fold up his tent and head home after a few years. The world does not need another John Schrader. 

I think it's somewhere in fundytimes that the first year a man must devote himself to his wife fully, be there as much as she needs him, I could be wrong but maybe that's why the first year he stayed close by. I'm sure within the first 6 months though he started to itch to get back out on the field so he probably planned as soon as Jill delivered and baby was old enough to fly they would be outta there. He could have been saving up too from the Wal-Mart Job. Plus being around her family the first year is when someone probably mentioned to him about his teeth, which were just fine before. I think Derrick felt a lot of pressure being the first son in law and marrying the golden child to be perfect. And then when the perfect world shattered he said eff this and he reclaimed his dream. Something tells me he may not have known about the molestations before hand or as in depth. For all we know he probably feels like he was the one that got the bad deal. 

5 minutes ago, AlternativeVoice said:

might be the only one that thinks Derrick is being his true self. She met him in nepal. What did she expect? plus Jill has always said she wanted to be on the mission field.

Valid points. If mission work is something they take seriously, than it would have behooved them to take a serious approach, and not the haphazard, poorly organized, grifting approach. (Cultural insensitivity and self-righteousness aside.) Derick did say they wanted to travel while the kid(s) were young.

My son wanted to start a non-profit for a cause dear to his heart. We did the research and mapped out a plan. There is a lengthy process involved. A nonprofit isn't something you can hatch up overnight, even if you feel passionate and have conviction. (Or God tells you to. I'm sure God would approve of a well thought out business plan.) Maybe you can wing it if you have God's grace, AKA a TLC fanbase to fund you? God, TLC, toMAto, TOmato...

There is a way to provide for yourself while also creating a sustainable, enduring, valuable and charitable service to people. One that produces results that can be measured and that people actually want/need. My son (age 18) is doing that. Derick isn't doing that. He asked for $24,000 and jumped on a plane. He's making emotional decisions, instead of rational decisions, and I think that's because he's in panic mode and can't cope, so he's escaping.

He had the sense to finish college, do his mission work and then get a job. So what is different now that he has become impulsive and unemployed? A suffocating father-in-law, a needy wife, and a major public family scandal would send a lot of people packing for El Salvador.

I think he is in dire need of a good mentor. Or heck, a Google search on the dynamics of dysfunctional families and a few business books would be a good start, too.

36 minutes ago, imokit said:

I don't have a tub, but when my hot water goes a pour a kettle of water in the sink and mix with cold water then stand in the shower and use a cup to pour the warm water over me. It's not hard, just annoying.

Yep, I did this when my water heater went out a few winters ago. We had a tub in our old place, but, California was in a really bad drought and I was trying to mind my water consumption. I just boiled water, and mixed it with cold water in a bigger pot and brought it to the tub with me with a cup of water to pour water over myself.

See Jill? Multiple variations on how to give Izzy a comfortably warm bath, and even a shower. 

16 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I've never been to Aruba, or Central America :sigh:, but I wonder if a solar water heater would work there? It might be expensive to buy and install, but there wouldn't be the expense of powering it.

Some people in Aruba do utilize solar water heaters. The sun shines about 300+ days a year. Let's be honest, even when it does rain there it doesn't rain all day. Solar power would be a logical choice. Wind power is also a good option.

Speaking of Jilly Muffin and Duhrick.... someone would have to purchase and install the panels for them because we all know they don't do manual labor. #LazyGrifters

@Million Children For Jesus

I lived in Boulder for 7 years. In my opinion, Boulder might still be too liberal for Jill and Derrick, but they'd probably love Loveland or Longmont, CO. They're both close to Boulder, so some of the crunchy element is still there, but in those areas alone I can think of two megachurches that would fit in with their beliefs that I'm sure would love to have them as congregants (especially the one in Longmont where I called the pastor a racist for saying, "I'm not one of those guys burning incense in my basement and going 'Hare Hare' all day long, I believe in JEEE-SUS!' Good times...:smiley-signs131:)

44 minutes ago, Pukingpearl said:

I really don't like Jill or Derrick, but am I the only one who sometimes enjoys cool water for a shower? If you don't have AC and are in a tropical climate, it can be refreshing. Forgive me if the temp was frigid on the day of this incident. 

Didn't MEchelle and JB give Silly and Dreck an A/C?  IIRC, Silly mentioned her parents giving them A/C, which then allowed them to keep the doors and windows shut and locked, rather than having a fresh breeze blowing through.  If so, it's quite likely that their US-American butts had that A/C turned up as high as possible so that Izzy really did have a freezing shower, followed by cold air circulating in the home.  

Weird to shower a toddler, though. Mine is older now, but like @Gemini's grandbaby, showers were terrible times for youngsters.  The bath was a completely different story -- loved it and could have stayed there for hours.  

There are other areas, besides Austin, that are more conservative, and just as midwife and homeschool friendly. Bloomington, Indiana? Asheville, North Carolina? I think all of the other crunchy towns that I can think of are too liberal for them. 

Oh, hell no! The lazy grifters are not welcome in Indiana. Bloomington is a college town. Tons of drinking, lots of NIKE! students, lots of teh gayz, liberals, and educated women folk. The Dullards would not fit in. 

12 minutes ago, divadivine said:

hell no! The lazy grifters are not welcome in Indiana

I think that I'm batting 1000 now. Every city I mentioned got rejected by someone who lives in it! Dullards are officially personae non gratae. 

22 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Know it was a while since this was talked about but I just wanted to say that I have never filled out a form like this in Sweden and has always found it to be a really weird question when I have filled them out in other countries. Why is it important?

It comes up when there is a need for demographic details. I don't know how diverse Sweden is, but it may have to do with the large mix of races and ethnicities in the US and UK.

I say we send the Dillards up here to NYC with me. I'm a heathen. They'll love it! 

PS: Wait is it heathen or heretic? I always mix up the two. 

3 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

PS: Wait is it heathen or heretic? I always mix up the two. 

Heathen = non-Christian.

Heretic = Christian with contrary beliefs.

I am both a heretic and a heathen depending on which moment you ask me. :) 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived