IGNORED

Dillards 27 - Allergies, Fever, and the Dangers of Being a White Baby

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, MargaretElliott said:

Agreed about the shower thing- making him take a cold one wasn't really necessary. I spend a lot more time at campsites than most people, especially in the colder months, and their facilities aren't always... up to date. A kettle of hot water, boiled on a fire or propane stove, and a large bowl is all I need (plus a washcloth and soap, of course) to get clean. They have an indoor stove and everything. More resources than I had. And they're forcing the child into a freezing shower? Perhaps they think it's good for him. Perhaps they're overreacting about the water heater. Perhaps they don't realize you don't need 100% submersion to get clean. Perhaps they lack resourcefulness. My vote is all of the above.

Perhaps they just aren't that bright and have no business living in a foreign country or having a bunch of dependent children. I'll vote for this ^ choice.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Perhaps they just aren't that bright and have no business living in a foreign country or having a bunch of dependent children. I'll vote for this ^ choice.

That too, @SassyPants. That, too :pb_lol:

”I wish I knew a way to access these types of lists for more countries because I find it fascinating, but I'm not sure how to do so.”

Know it was a while since this was talked about but I just wanted to say that I have never filled out a form like this in Sweden and has always found it to be a really weird question when I have filled them out in other countries. Why is it important?

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

So, I remain unhappy with the cold shower scenario. And, just how "scary" is CA where hey are? Is the house really protected by people? Is JillyPoo home alone with roaming cougars in a house with little Izzy while she stuffs him in a cold shower? Does anyone here know, I certainly missed details it would seem .

They live in a missionary compound with some other Americans. The Daily Mail calls it a "Christian retreat" and says this: "Military guards patrol the entrance with semiautomatic rifles and accompany the group in buses and trucks when they venture out to churches and orphanages to present the gospel of Jesus Christ." 

5 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

@socalrules, that's not what @wikinggirl was talking about though - she's surprised that Derrick's bro was formally saved so recently, only two years ago, since we'd assume he was raised religious.

Yes, that's exactly what I ment. It was the whole happy spiritual birthday thing. Two years ago means January 2015, so more than six months after the wedding and long after Derrick joined the show. 

2 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Agreed about the shower thing- making him take a cold one wasn't really necessary. I spend a lot more time at campsites than most people, especially in the colder months, and their facilities aren't always... up to date. A kettle of hot water, boiled on a fire or propane stove, and a large bowl is all I need (plus a washcloth and soap, of course) to get clean. They have an indoor stove and everything. More resources than I had. And they're forcing the child into a freezing shower? Perhaps they think it's good for him. Perhaps they're overreacting about the water heater. Perhaps they don't realize you don't need 100% submersion to get clean. Perhaps they lack resourcefulness. My vote is all of the above.

Ditto. A few years back, our hot water heater went and didn't get fixed for nearly 2 weeks. We boiled a stock pot of water on the stove, poured it into the tub and then added cold water from the faucet to even out the temperature. If I could do that for 3 children, there's no reason why she couldn't do that for one.

29 minutes ago, VeganCupcake said:

They live in a missionary compound with some other Americans. The Daily Mail calls it a "Christian retreat" and says this: "Military guards patrol the entrance with semiautomatic rifles and accompany the group in buses and trucks when they venture out to churches and orphanages to present the gospel of Jesus Christ." 

Thank you for posting this....I find it kind of unbelievable that this group does this.  I just don't get it at all. And they are bringing Izzy to this environment and Jill is pregnant. 

I remain mystified.

Dear Jilly Muffin, 

You're an absolute dipshit.  Why in the hell would you think it was a good idea to put your toddler in a cold shower? Clearly you learned absolutely nothing in all those years of being a sister mom, reading the wisdumb booklets and taking your midwife training. You get a large plastic bin and fill it with some cold water and add water you've warmed on the stove. Check the temperature and add more cold water if needed. Then put your child in the bin and give him a bath.  Even I could have figured that out and I'm an evil Catholic with a real college degree. I hope I never meet you in real life because I might slap you upside the head. 

Not a fan, 

diva

PS.... My friends live in Aruba. Most Arubans do not have hot water heaters because they are expensive and many of the older homes are not plumbed for them. In December my friend, who has kids, says the water is cold in the morning (Cold to an Aruban is warm to an American.... But it's cold to them, so...) she warms up some water on the stove and has it for the kids to use in their baths. She said she is ready to either buy the on demand water heater you can turn on when needed or a traditional water heater- her house is plumbed for a hot water heater, but it was really expensive so they haven't purchased one. 

If all of us on here figured this out, why can't Jilly Muffin and Dipshit Derrick? 

4 hours ago, imokit said:

For those saying Jill is coming back to have the baby, maybe I'm warped from my current NICU job but babies don't come on demand. If she's due in July, she's past or at the 24 week mark and the baby is potentially viable with NICU care. I've seen too many people be surprised by early babies to be confident in another country with less than stellar medical care past 24 weeks.

Premature babies happen and most can't be predicted.

Absolutely true! One of my Doctors said I had a textbook perfect pregnancy at my 32 week prenatal appointment. She never expected to be seeing me for my six week postpartum appointment two days after my due date. But that's what happened because my daughter randomly decided to come six weeks prematurely - no risk factors or warning signs. She said hearing I had gone into labor was the biggest shock she'd had the past six months.

I was Catholic and shocked when a high school friend told me she was sad that I was going to Hell because I wasn't a real Christian.  Fast forward 30 years, and both of my children have been told they are going to Hell because we are non church-goers.  I complained to the school principal who pretty much just laughed at me.  Good times.  Good times.

Also, I was surprised that Israel would be showering . . . isn't he still under age 2?  Maybe that's just my quirk, but my kids were still bath-tubbers at that age.:confusion-shrug:

5 hours ago, imokit said:

For those saying Jill is coming back to have the baby, maybe I'm warped from my current NICU job but babies don't come on demand. If she's due in July, she's past or at the 24 week mark and the baby is potentially viable with NICU care. I've seen too many people be surprised by early babies to be confident in another country with less than stellar medical care past 24 weeks.

Premature babies happen and most can't be predicted.

I totally agree! But JillyMuffin is convinced that the latest blessing won't make an early departure from her sacred uterus, so that's her plan. Because Jesus and being Godly missionaries. 

I'm not saying I agree with Jill and Dreck's plan at all, only that that is the plan. As the old saying goes, "Man plans, God laughs".

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I was Catholic and shocked when a high school friend told me she was sad that I was going to Hell because I wasn't a real Christian.  Fast forward 30 years, and both of my children have been told they are going to Hell because we are non church-goers.  I complained to the school principal who pretty much just laughed at me.  Good times.  Good times.

Also, I was surprised that Israel would be showering . . . isn't he still under age 2?  Maybe that's just my quirk, but my kids were still bath-tubbers at that age.:confusion-shrug:

Considering he's already been scalded by the Evil Hot Water Heater, maybe a shower might be better than a bath just to lessen the chance of him drowning.

I get that accidents happen, but Jill really seems to have close to zero regard for Israel's safety or well-being.

1 minute ago, Mela99 said:

Didn't Jilly say before they don't have a bath tub in Sinnnnntral Amurrica?

I swear I saw a full bathroom when she did a tour of the house. 

I could be wrong 

but she needs help regardless 

It has always amazed me how JB and M were so invested and cautious with the lives of their adult kids, yet totally ignored the basic safety of their younger kids.

They have parenting all azz backwards. They trusted young girls with babies, yet do not trust these same, now grown women. to make decent adult decisions. Maybe if they they had spent some time with each kid in the beginning, they would have been confident in letting those same kids, as grown adults, live their own lives!!!

What continues to boggle my mind is that Jill keeps telling the world these things.

Haha heres my kid doing super unsafe things!

Haha did I tell you about the time I wasnt watching my kid and he hurt himself haha! Heres a picture!

So here we are in Central America, so scary! We haven't done anything at all since we got here except hand out some bible tracts!! So busy! Send money. 

Anyone else who made their toddler take a cold shower wouldn't tell people about it and would surely learn from it! They live in the tropics so Im betting theres something he could splash/bathe in outside on that big porch. He might even enjoy it.  Jill could put her feet in and take a break from the nothing she does all day. 

12 hours ago, MayMay1123 said:

i wonder if jill and d'reck have decided not to physically discipline beat their children and now she has no idea how to actually discipline iz without plumbing line

Ahhhh I think you may have hit the nail on the head. This would completely incapacitate her. They were ingrained daily, that their methods were the ONLY way.

3 hours ago, divadivine said:

Dear Jilly Muffin, 

You're an absolute dipshit.  Why in the hell would you think it was a good idea to put your toddler in a cold shower? Clearly you learned absolutely nothing in all those years of being a sister mom, reading the wisdumb booklets and taking your midwife training. You get a large plastic bin and fill it with some cold water and add water you've warmed on the stove. Check the temperature and add more cold water if needed. Then put your child in the bin and give him a bath.  Even I could have figured that out and I'm an evil Catholic with a real college degree. I hope I never meet you in real life because I might slap you upside the head. 

Not a fan, 

diva

PS.... My friends live in Aruba. Most Arubans do not have hot water heaters because they are expensive and many of the older homes are not plumbed for them. In December my friend, who has kids, says the water is cold in the morning (Cold to an Aruban is warm to an American.... But it's cold to them, so...) she warms up some water on the stove and has it for the kids to use in their baths. She said she is ready to either buy the on demand water heater you can turn on when needed or a traditional water heater- her house is plumbed for a hot water heater, but it was really expensive so they haven't purchased one. 

If all of us on here figured this out, why can't Jilly Muffin and Dipshit Derrick? 

It's funny you mention this. I have family that lives in Aruba and they don't have a water heater either. The water is warm but never hot in the afternoon because there is an above ground water storage system that sits in he sun all day. It's cool in the morning but not as cold as water here. I never needed to heat water to bathe my kids, but it wasn't freezing and it's temporary and we know We will have a steaming hot water when back home. I would not want it to be my every day life. its notjust the heater but the energy that would be costly.

2 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

It's funny you mention this. I have family that lives in Aruba and they don't have a water heater either. The water is warm but never hot in the afternoon because there is an above ground water storage system that sits in he sun all day. It's cool in the morning but not as cold as water here. I never needed to heat water to bathe my kids, but it wasn't freezing and it's temporary and we know We will have a steaming hot water when back home. I would not want it to be my every day life. its notjust the heater but the energy that would be costly.

Dushi!!!! I love the island! One day I want to live there. I will say the "no hot water heater" thing was an adjustment on my first trip. The second trip, I had on demand hot water and only used it once. I stayed out near the national park and the water pipes and collection bin were near the rocks and it heated up quickly.  Third trip... Screw it... Live like a local... It's hot and who needs hot water? Lol! I'm sure it would be different if I lived there as a resident.  I'd want hot water in the early morning and to clean. The energy to heat the water is costly and a hot water heater is a luxury so most do without. The people who have hot water heaters are either well off, Dutch, or Americans. 

Plenty of people without bathtubs bathe toddlers.  Get a baby tub or even just one of those big plastic storage bins. Fill with water when needed. Use as a pool in the hotter months.

And since we KNOW they have access to Wal*Mart, they can certainly pick one up. 

They're just lazy/the worst. 

I've never been to Aruba, or Central America :sigh:, but I wonder if a solar water heater would work there? It might be expensive to buy and install, but there wouldn't be the expense of powering it.

I've never been to Aruba, or Central America :sigh:, but I wonder if a solar water heater would work there? It might be expensive to buy and install, but there wouldn't be the expense of powering it.

That sounds suspiciously like a lot of work. Which I doubt they're up for, what with all the proselytizing and banana bread baking.

8 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

And, just how "scary" is CA where hey are? Is the house really protected by people?

It would have to be. With their conspicuous display of American wealth in a developing country, I guarantee you that their home is protected by armed guards 24/7. I'm not going to snark on that because it's a wise choice for their situation, but there is absolutely no doubt they have protection far beyond what the majority of the locals would have.

45 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

You can build a simple, low-capacity functional solar water heater with a bucket, some black paint, a pipe, and a rope. It's about the least expensive possible way to heat your water if you're in a place that gets a lot of sunshine. I doubt the Dillards have either the knowledge or the gumption to manage it, but they certainly could.

They could have brought one of those portable camping showers with them. Hang outside in the sun, bingo, warm water.

The Dullards are proof that there's no cure for stupid. If it was just them dithering around being useless and incompetent faux missionaries, whatever. The fact that they're dragging their infant son and Holy Fetus along for the fun just makes me sick. Esp with Jill this far along. I shudder to think of her attempting a vback without any real assistance or equipment. It could so go wrong, and if they are a ways away from a hospital, that plus unfamiliar doctors, plus language barrier will all mean that Jilly Muffin wouldn't have an easy time of it of she went into labour early.

I would never have described either one as bright, but something seems to have really gone off the rails in the logic and reason department with this family. I do wonder if they are running away from something. Either an event that's about to break, or just trying to escape their grown up situation in general.

As far as Israel not being blanket trained, I hope you're right. No child should be treated in such a way. That said, he was extraordinarily still in that stupid manaquin challenge the Duggars posted on their blog. I wondered at the time how the heck they got a young child to sit like that, and am guessing that there is some sort of stillness training going on there. 

It's amazing that nobodys told them about heating water on the stove and using that to warm too-cold bath water. Also, if they don't have a real bath, get a bin and use that. I was helping some friends renovate their bathroom, and while it was out of service, mama was giving her kids baths in the kiddie pool. She and hubbie used one of those solar showers. It worked and the children had a blast. Not rocket science. As someone who would like to move to Central America (one day, FSM willing) I'm just appalled at how they can't seem to work little stuff like this out. People this dim witted and inflexible should just stay home.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived