IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Engaged!

choralcrusader8613

Yep, the Lost Girls will be in each other's wedding party years from now. Don't you remember Josie and Jordyn asking to be each other's bridesmaids back in the 19 Kids days?

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, danni9242 said:

Those younger current ones will be the closest to her, then maybe the eldest child of each of her married older siblings?

What is really depressing is if Josie marries at 22 in 15 yeas that means that Jill, Jessa, Jinger & Joy could have 12 to 16 kids EACH. If they have 1 kid every 15 months.

I really thought they'd wait til summer to get engaged and fall when she turns 20 for the wedding.  She just seems so young but she doesn't have many options.  

20 minutes ago, Galbin said:

In the last thread, people mentioned that his family's business was booked up in April for a wedding. So some had assumed that they were already engaged and thus were going to marry in April. I guess not now. Wondering about the timescale though. Hmm...

Sad too because 19 is just too young to get married, unless perhaps you were childhood sweethearts.

It's cold comfort, but Joy and Austin seem to be the closest possible thing to childhood sweethearts in Duggarland. They at least know each other as actual human beings independent of courtship. Still, Joy has always been my favorite of the Duggarlings. I knew she would eventually follow the courtship/marriage path, but I really hoped she would take her time like Jana.

26 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Jim Bob was 19 and Michelle 17 when they got married, so they really aren't against teen marriages. 

Anna's dad was the one that wanted her to even get engaged until she turned 20. Odd considering that Esther married at 19, but whatever. 

JB and M also dated, hugged, kissed and went to school outside the home too.

Must be weird for Jill. She was a Bride at 23 and now she'll get to be Mother of the Bride at 26. 

Other than that, guess the number of fucks I give about the news?

(Zero. The answer is zero.)

1 minute ago, mpheels said:

It's cold comfort, but Joy and Austin seem to be the closest possible thing to childhood sweethearts in Duggarland. They at least know each other as actual human beings independent of courtship. Still, Joy has always been my favorite of the Duggarlings. I knew she would eventually follow the courtship/marriage path, but I really hoped she would take her time like Jana.

Is staying at home really that much better, though? At least when you're married you get some agency, independence, and the chance to be an adult.

Sure things can go wrong, but if your choices are between permanent quasi-adult servitude in your parents' house or a home of your own that might go sideways, at least in one you get to be in charge. 

It'd be one thing if the Duggar women got to have their own lives pre-marriage, but they don't.   Just like in Victorian times, marriage may be the only way for them to gain any sort of lives for themselves. 

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

I'm actually surprised that they said the engagement happened just yesterday.  I suppose Joy knew it was going to happen but just not officially when or something.  

(and Joy is  younger than my oldest kid.  Said kid is actually pretty mature in many ways but nowhere near ready to be someone's wife).

I doubt it happened just yesterday. The Duggars' PR can say anything they want and post a recent picture. We have no idea what the real timeline was. I'm still in the pool for that late April wedding date. Although we know that a few other weekends are already blocked out this summer, that takes us into 4-5 month engagement territory. Only Jinger went past 3 months, and that was only by two weeks. 

I'm going for a first week of May wedding. Things just keep happening faster & faster. 

I do agree that I'm surprised they married off all the girls so quickly. I would have thought they'd make Joy court through summer both for the show and so she'd be 20 by the time of the wedding. 

Sigh**

Anxious to see what parts Sierra and cousin Amy might play. They both appeared close to Joy at certain points. 

25 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

The first thing that popped into my head was Freddy Mercury singing "Another one bites the dust."

Now i've Freddy stuck in my head who sing at high volume! thanks 

The show used to be interesting when they'd show the actual lives but now it is just all old film with a bunch of talking heads.  Show us the actual courtship.  Did they go to church together? Hang out? I've said it before but what the heck do they do all day long?? It's so boring. Make it interesting and have them sneak away and kiss or something. Show them rebelling against the purity standards. 

35 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I thought that statement was odd and came across as creepy too, though he probably didn't mean it that way. I just wanted to chime in that their age gap isn't that big. He's 22 and she's 19.

I can't say I'm shocked or even surprised... I believe I predicted a spring wedding when they first announced the courtship, so they're actually a little behind schedule. :pb_lol: I obviously think she's way too young and immature to get married, but it's not like she would be more mature if she waited another couple of years. So the only thing that makes this worse than her sisters' weddings is that she'll have a few more fertile years to fill that quiver.

I don't think this is creepy at all.  Maybe they've always loved one another. 

I knew this was only a matter of time, but it still doesn't make it any less sad. They're too young, they might not know that they are but they are. [emoji19]

38 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

I remember thinking at 19 that I was an adult and knew it all. Now almost 20 years later I realize I knew very little about the real world, and I wasn't even as sheltered as Joy. I was in college and was getting ready to start working, and dating the guy I eventually married 3 years later (still way too young). I have done and experienced so much since then and there's still so much more I want to do. I really couldn't imagine giving up my whole life to get married and settle down at 19.

That said, when did the Duggars start approving teen weddings!? I thought they purposely waited til Anna was 20 and no longer a teenager. Just desperate for good ratings?

The Duggars were perfectly fine with 18 year old Josiah courting 17 year old Marjorie. 

As for Anna, SHE was the one who said she wouldn't become engaged before she turned 20. It wasn't the Duggars. 

7 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Is staying at home really that much better, though? At least when you're married you get some agency, independence, and the chance to be an adult.

Sure things can go wrong, but if your choices are between permanent quasi-adult servitude in your parents' house or a home of your own that might go sideways, at least in one you get to be in charge. 

It'd be one thing if the Duggar women got to have their own lives pre-marriage, but they don't.   Just like in Victorian times, marriage may be the only way for them to gain any sort of lives for themselves. 

I don't know... She's just going to be part of the Forsyth borg, now. 

1 hour ago, danni9242 said:

The announcement said yesterday, but was it really filmed today

I wonder if they announced today to overshadow Smuggars birthday?

34 minutes ago, danni9242 said:

Special oh so precious Josie will have shedtonnes of JB money thrown at her and have a ridiculously big deal even by Duggar standards I imagine.

And with the Josie wedding special they'll probably show clips from her delivery... Miracle Josie gets married...

Does anyone have a theory why it seems they're marrying their daughters off earlier and earlier? Jill and Jessa's marriages were pre scandal, so it's not like they were holding on for them because of that.

Just now, Berty K said:

I wonder if they announced today to overshadow Smuggars birthday?

Ooooh, good call! FB alerted me of that fact when I logged in this morning, otherwise, I would never have known. Also strange to bury a Duggar Announcement on a Friday. 

1 hour ago, Bugaboo said:

Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm nearly 25 and have been with my boyfriend 3 and a half years and no engagement yet, but I'm actually way more aggravated about this engagement than any of the other siblings. 

Why not propose?

5 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

I don't think this is creepy at all.  Maybe they've always loved one another. 

Austin expressed it in a really weird way by saying "I've been watching her for years" (or something along those lines), but I think he just meant that they'd liked each other for a while. Hopefully. I don't think he meant it in a stalker-ish way. :pb_lol:

3 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I knew this was only a matter of time, but it still doesn't make it any less sad. They're too young, they might not know that they are but they are. emoji19.png

THIS i want to vote up like 100 times if i could. Clearly they don't care but it still bother me so much!

4 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

I don't know... She's just going to be part of the Forsyth borg, now. 

I totally agree. I'm just saying that when women's rights and lives were restricted the way they are in Gothardism, marrying young WAS seen as the preferred option because at least it afforded the woman SOME status, rights, and control over her life.

If it were me, I'd take a young marriage and becoming master of my own circus over being forced to live in my parents' circus any day...and I'm happily single with my own home at 29, so I'm not exactly an early marriage fan. 

2 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

Does anyone have a theory why it seems they're marrying their daughters off earlier and earlier?

I attribute it to the suitors. Meaning the guys were, at first, afraid to approach Jim Boob I.e Fundie Royalty to ask for a girls hand. But once one went, they all jumped at the chance to stake a claim before there were none left. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived