IGNORED

Sherry's Child Training Series

debrand

For example, when my oldest son was 6, he was in charge of the entire families laundry every week. How was I able to trust a 6 year old boy with this task? I Trained him and connected it with something he loved!

TRAINS, he LOVED trains!

I don't understand the advantage of having a young child do the laundry? At the age of six, my kids were dumping small trash cans, wiping off the table or removing their dishes at dinner time. Sometimes I let them help me rinse the small dishes after supper.

My goal is that my kids eventually become independent. I want them to appreciate the value of their own work and feel that they contribute to the household. I am not against chores.

I would have felt like a horrible, lazy mother if my six year old did more than help me unload the dryer.

bealivingsacrifice.blogspot.com/search/label/F%20b%29%20child%20training%20part%202

Edited because I changed the thread name to better reflect the subject

I am making my way through her training series. Because I don't remember-my youngest is 13- how long can a toddler sit and be quiet?

So, we Train them to do the sit please game! The goal of this game is to Train them to be able to sit quietly without wiggling or talking for about an hour. This is done slowly by practicing everyday and the younger a child, the longer it will take, but the sooner you start Training the sooner they will develop the self control needed to do it!

Is that reasonable?

For little babies, we start Training them at about 6 months to a year, depending on the child, but we do it a little differently. We Train them during family devotion time, in the morning and evening, because it would be too hard to try to Train a baby while I am trying to teach school. When I Train a baby, I have them sit on my lap. When they wiggle, I whisper no, no, and keep sitting them back down straight. And when they start talking, I put my finger on their lips softly and whisper no, no. This takes time and patience, but eventually, the baby will be Trained what no, no means and will be able to sit quietly as well. When the baby is about 2 years, he is then ready to join the other kids for the daily "sit please"!

bealivingsacrifice.blogspot.com/search/label/F%20c%29%20child%20training%20part%203

Something else that is very important for little ones and Mommy, is that they get a regular daily NAP or QUIET TIME! Everyday after lunch, and play time and after the house has been picked up, we have "Quiet Time". During Quiet Time, everyone is to be QUIET! Quiet Time lasts for 3 hours. All the babies and toddlers are in their beds napping, if they wake early, they have toys in their beds they can play with until someone comes to get them up. We do not get them up just because they wake up. By letting them stay in bed, we are Training them that Nap time is a certain length and they will get up when it is over. They usually roll over and go back to sleep, which Trains them to get a nice long rest that they need to help them have a peaceful evening with the family. After they wake, if Quiet Time is not over, they learn to play with their toys until someone gets them up.

This is our Quiet Time nap. At around 9 months, a baby can be Trained to take a long thorough nap, as I said above.

For an hour, during the day, her toddlers must play quietly. During lunch they play the quiet game and don't talk. From 9 months on, they are taught to remain in their cribs for 3 hours every day. Some children do take long naps but her kids are awake. She just lives them in their rooms for long periods.

When I was six, I knew how to run both the washer and dryer, fold the clothes and carry them up to the second floor from the basement laundry room. I also knew how to make a fresh pot of coffee, pour a cup and take it to my mom. But then, my mom was happy to hand off as many chores as possible so she would have more time to read the Bible. With hot coffee in hand.

I am making my way through her training series. Because I don't remember-my youngest is 13- how long can a toddler sit and be quiet?

So, we Train them to do the sit please game! The goal of this game is to Train them to be able to sit quietly without wiggling or talking for about an hour. This is done slowly by practicing everyday and the younger a child, the longer it will take, but the sooner you start Training the sooner they will develop the self control needed to do it!

Is that reasonable?

For little babies, we start Training them at about 6 months to a year, depending on the child, but we do it a little differently. We Train them during family devotion time, in the morning and evening, because it would be too hard to try to Train a baby while I am trying to teach school. When I Train a baby, I have them sit on my lap. When they wiggle, I whisper no, no, and keep sitting them back down straight. And when they start talking, I put my finger on their lips softly and whisper no, no. This takes time and patience, but eventually, the baby will be Trained what no, no means and will be able to sit quietly as well. When the baby is about 2 years, he is then ready to join the other kids for the daily "sit please"!

I'm just glad she doesn't smack the children when they don't sit! However, I think it seems unreasonable. You shouldn't want to train your children to be like furniture. They need to have their minds stimulated to grow up properly! That is more important than sitting around doing nothing when told.

Something else that is very important for little ones and Mommy, is that they get a regular daily NAP or QUIET TIME! Everyday after lunch, and play time and after the house has been picked up, we have "Quiet Time". During Quiet Time, everyone is to be QUIET! Quiet Time lasts for 3 hours. All the babies and toddlers are in their beds napping, if they wake early, they have toys in their beds they can play with until someone comes to get them up. We do not get them up just because they wake up. By letting them stay in bed, we are Training them that Nap time is a certain length and they will get up when it is over. They usually roll over and go back to sleep, which Trains them to get a nice long rest that they need to help them have a peaceful evening with the family. After they wake, if Quiet Time is not over, they learn to play with their toys until someone gets them up.

This is our Quiet Time nap. At around 9 months, a baby can be Trained to take a long thorough nap, as I said above.

For an hour, during the day, her toddlers must play quietly. During lunch they play the quiet game and don't talk. From 9 months on, they are taught to remain in their cribs for 3 hours every day. Some children do take long naps but her kids are awake. She just lives them in their rooms for long periods.

I don't think it makes sense at all to be quiet during lunch. There's nothing wrong with talking during lunch! That is actually the civilized thing to do.

I don't think that the naps thing is THAT unreasonable, but it all depends on the child. Some kids really do sleep that much. It just sounds to me like she applies it too stringently, like the children must fit HER schedule. I was thinking about it in comparison to how we do naptime in the 2-year-old room where I currently work. From 11:30 to 12 or 12:15 or so, the kids eat lunch (sitting down, but not being quiet). Then we change their diapers and they lie down on their mats. Most are asleep by 12:30. (Some of them we pat on the back to help them sleep, which I am sure she does not do.) Most of them then sleep until 2:30, and when some wake up earlier, I do have them sit on their mats (not in an enclosed bed) with a book or puzzle until more children wake up. However, I don't have a set THEY MUST BE DOWN FOR THREE HOURS rule and I wouldn't leave a bored or crying child alone and I understand that naptimes vary and kid vary! It just sounds to me like she is being too regimented, especially for a little 9-month-old, who can't really entertain themselves the way even a 2-year-old can with a nice toy.

That's horrible. But they're a blessing right? Such a blessing that she doesn't want to see or hear them for a least 4 hours a day.

It's called school Sherry. Send them there.

Then I remind them, that it is also good manners, when someone looks at you, to smile and quietly say hello. I explain that at any store, there will be people there who are not Christians, who have not accepted Christ as their Savior. So we want to have a good testimony to them, so that we may have an opportunity to tell them about Jesus and give them a Gospel tract.

I taught my children that they shouldn't talk to adults unless I'm present. Granted, I probably overdid it in the fear of strangers department.

I wonder how she would react if a young child handed her an atheist or wiccan tract?

I believe in treating others as I want to be treated. If you don't want adorable children handing you tracts about their faith or nonfaith, don't have your kids do the same to other adults.

bealivingsacrifice.blogspot.com/search/label/F%20d%29%20child%20training%20part%204

When my kids were very young, we discussed restaurant manners. We would pretend to be eating at a restaurant and I covered everything that would happen and what behavior was expected. I did not tell my kids to smile at strangers though. Maybe I am a bit paranoid though LOL

Look, that lady is smiling at you, you need to smile back at her and quietly say hello. Good job!

When I was six, I knew how to run both the washer and dryer, fold the clothes and carry them up to the second floor from the basement laundry room. I also knew how to make a fresh pot of coffee, pour a cup and take it to my mom. But then, my mom was happy to hand off as many chores as possible so she would have more time to read the Bible. With hot coffee in hand.

Sheesh, I need to get on training my 6yo! My 8yo makes my coffee, does that give me a little cred? :mrgreen:

Sheesh, I need to get on training my 6yo! My 8yo makes my coffee, does that give me a little cred? :mrgreen:

My older 2 (12 and 15) both wash clothes, not the 9 year old. I made him carry a few loads upstairs today and he expected payment in video game time for doing it. Needless to say he did NOT get the video game time and the clothes are still sitting in a heap on my bed.

None of us make coffee but DH. He has been trained by the experts at the local coffee company for a work program he runs so we let him do it. I suck at making coffee, it is always to strong or too weak. The kids and I only drink coffee on the weekends.

My husband makes the coffee because we are good, Bible-believing people in my home. It says in the Bible that men should make the coffee; there's a whole chapter devoted to it called HeBrews.

Is it me or does Sherry look like she uses a putty knife to put on her makeup. Or is it that she's had some work done on her face?

I'm not trying to pick at looks, but seriously, her face looks frozen to me.

My husband makes the coffee because we are good, Bible-believing people in my home. It says in the Bible that men should make the coffee; there's a whole chapter devoted to it called HeBrews.

:lol: Awesome.

My toddler can sit still and be quiet for about 0.0128 seconds. And that is all I expect at 16-months-old.

Sherry's blog just annoys me. It looks like a flock of pelicans overdosed on peptobismol and vomited all over. Plus her worship of all things Victorian is ridiculous, because NONE OF IT IS TRUE.

that's good.

I'm 19 and don't know how to make coffee.

I think my parents have tried to teach me a few times and it might have been really easy, but as I can't drink coffee thanks to certain neurological issues it never stuck since I'm never really going to need the skill.

But still. My dad makes the coffee anyway during the week, my mom makes it on weekends since she gets up earlier those days.

I don't know whether she's had work done or if that smeary, soft-focus action she does on her photos is the reason she looks plasticky. It's hard to believe that a mother of 12 who talks about how poor her family is could have had plastic surgery, but who knows?

I can't stand how she capitalizes "train" all the time.

I guess she needs three hours of quiet time so she can search the internet for more pink crap to put around her house. I think she really has some mild hoarder problem.

I don't know whether she's had work done or if that smeary, soft-focus action she does on her photos is the reason she looks plasticky. It's hard to believe that a mother of 12 who talks about how poor her family is could have had plastic surgery, but who knows?

I can't stand how she capitalizes "train" all the time.

I read that as "smarmy" instead of "smeary" and LOLed.

The random capitalization really bothers me, too!

On the other hand, I've been doing basic clean-ups from a very young age, I don't do the laundry for the whole family most of the time since I live 4.5 hours away most of the year now. Of course I do my own laundry here. Expecting a 6 year old to do the whole family's laundry though... WTF. Just.. WTF.

Also, 'training" a child? Makes me wonder if she's into the Pearls' method. I hope not, but she does say "training up your child" in reference to getting them to be quiet. I really, really hope it doesn't involve Mike and Debi Pearl.

Train=beat. You just have to keep that in mind when reading these blogs. None of us want to mentally go there when talking about children this young, but there is no other way to get a two year old to sit perfectly still and silent for an hour.

I don't think I would want a 6 year-old to be in charge of laundry. I know it's just "women's work" but it requires heavy lifting in a lot of ways. I think a lot of little kids would have a hard time lifting and moving all that wet denim from washer into dryer, especially if the dryer is stacked on top of the washer like mine is. And since your average 6 year-old would need a stool or something to even reach inside the washer, that would make it even more precarious. I buy laundry detergent from Costco so that giant bottle is also really heavy, but even the standard large sizes from the grocery store could be too heavy for a kid to use frequently. And I sure hope that she was not letting that little kid use bleach unsupervised. That's an accident waiting to happen. Here's my philosophy: if the kid is to young to open the childproof cap on the bleach bottle, he shouldn't be using it.

Laundry is one of the physically hardest chores that we still do. It's great for kids to help out, but I would never let them do it completely unsupervised.

Hee! Must be why D.G. makes me tea even though he doesn't drink it.

This is the same idea that women used in the Victorian days to keep their homes clean.

Maids? :think:

Also, count me in on hating the random capitalization.

:lol: Love it!

Her blog is full of self righteous smarmy bullshit, often accompanied by tea. It seems that she's had a rough year (she lost a baby and more recently her sister) so I'll cut her some slack but I would expect a "praise jesus" post to talk about how well she's handling all of this hardship any day now.

I'm sure your 8yo is much safer making the coffee than I was. I was always petite for my age, and I would climb on the counter to get to everything. The full pot was too much for me to handle one day, and I gave myself a second degree burn. Not fun!

Archived