IGNORED

Seewalds 19: Dust Bunnies and Babies

Destiny

2 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Jim Bob and Michelle look so normal in this pic, it's nice to see Michelle with a natural smile and not the fundies forced smile.

So as I am new to this, used to be a major Duggar fan, and just thought they were conservative baptist christians- did not know they were in a cult really... until After Joshgate scandals. I have lurked here on and off since then, but anyhow I have a newbie question (so please direct me to the right place if there is one) but, does anyone know what it was exactly that sparked them to follow gothardite beliefs? was it their first miscarriage? was it JB who wanted to join, or Michelle? It's so sad/interesting to me all at the same time. 

Also side note, I was watching 14 children and pg again earlier to pick up on things I never noticed before, but have they become less into the cult, or just more modernized hair/clothing styles since then? 

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, seashell1025 said:

So as I am new to this, used to be a major Duggar fan, and just thought they were conservative baptist christians- did not know they were in a cult really... until After Joshgate scandals. I have lurked here on and off since then, but anyhow I have a newbie question (so please direct me to the right place if there is one) but, does anyone know what it was exactly that sparked them to follow gothardite beliefs? was it their first miscarriage? was it JB who wanted to join, or Michelle? It's so sad/interesting to me all at the same time. 

Also side note, I was watching 14 children and pg again earlier to pick up on things I never noticed before, but have they become less into the cult, or just more modernized hair/clothing styles since then? 

According to some interviews, it was the miscarriage that propelled them to stop using birth control and "the the Lord decide". A conservative doctor and family friend told J'chelle that birth control had caused the death of their miscarriage. I'm not quite sure exactly when they got into Gothardism; but their views on child-rearing led them to be associated with some uber-conservative fundies. 

As for the clothing, I'd say TLC probably had a hand in modernizing their look to make them seem less odd. We have seen the Duggars become more lax over the years (from Michelle blocking out her knees to Jinger wearing shorts) as an attempt at normalization. TLC tried really hard to sanitize their cultish beliefs after Duggar friends/institutions (eg:VF, Gothard etc) received heavy public criticism.

The Bates and several other fundie families have done the same.

28 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

As for the clothing, I'd say TLC probably had a hand in modernizing their look to make them seem less odd.

MIchelle has said that the older daughters wanted to update their look and that they call it modern modest.  I'm sure TLC was happy about that but I believe that they were aware of looking different and wanted to dress more normal.  I think JInger's wearing shorts have nothing to do with TLC.  I have a feeling, and it's only my feeling since I have no way of really knowing that Jinger would make different choices in dressing if she didn't have the house rules imposed upon her.

2 hours ago, ginger135 said:

I really don't want to sound rude, this is a serious question.

Do people dislike JB's look because they find him physically unappealing, or because he is who he is (personality, actions) etc?

Serious answer: Because he is a repugnant human being. 

The Duggars' upgrade to a modern modest look from their frumper days also coincided with IBLP deciding that they would attract more followers by looking somewhat normal rather than like a walking, talking freak show. It doesn't mean that they are less into the cult now than they were then; it means that they changed right along with the cult.

8 hours ago, seashell1025 said:

I think they got sucked into ATI/IBLP when Josh was about four and they had about four little kids. They were thinking about how they wanted to educate him, and realizing that they were going to be at home with a bunch of little kids anyway. They also probably wanted to socialize with people who didn't think they were crazy for wanting a big family. Someone told them about ATI and they were initially interested in the homeschooling aspect, then they went to an introductory IBLP class, and they were off. I have the impression that it was a mutual decision.

If the skirt hems get any shorter, they may as well wear shorts or pants.

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

The Duggars' upgrade to a modern modest look from their frumper days also coincided with IBLP deciding that they would attract more followers by looking somewhat normal rather than like a walking, talking freak show. It doesn't mean that they are less into the cult now than they were then; it means that they changed right along with the cult.

Hm, that's very interesting.  Ironic that it coincided with that.  I forgot about them talking about "modern modest" looks.  Gotta say that it at least did make them look a little more normal but i didn't know that.  thanks!

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I think they got sucked into ATI/IBLP when Josh was about four and they had about four little kids. They were thinking about how they wanted to educate him, and realizing that they were going to be at home with a bunch of little kids anyway. They also probably wanted to socialize with people who didn't think they were crazy for wanting a big family. Someone told them about ATI and they were initially interested in the homeschooling aspect, then they went to an introductory IBLP class, and they were off. I have the impression that it was a mutual decision.

Also interesting! Thanks for sharing, everyone! When I get into something new, I love gaining as much info as possible, so this was some very good insight! 

11 hours ago, seashell1025 said:

The updated clothing and hair choices definitely let them look more normal in the long run. Sure they were still playing up the freak show angle with the skirts only and courting, but that wasn't as clear in the early days. Just because there wasn't as much courting. You could kind of sink into the show and forget because it was mostly boring. 

11 hours ago, ginger135 said:

Do people dislike JB's look because they find him physically unappealing, or because he is who he is (personality, actions) etc?

His personal beliefs and actions make him ugly, he could look like Ryan Gosling and still be ugly because I can't see past his horrific beliefs.  

10 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

MIchelle has said that the older daughters wanted to update their look and that they call it modern modest.  I'm sure TLC was happy about that but I believe that they were aware of looking different and wanted to dress more normal.  I think JInger's wearing shorts have nothing to do with TLC.  I have a feeling, and it's only my feeling since I have no way of really knowing that Jinger would make different choices in dressing if she didn't have the house rules imposed upon her.

I think most of them would make different clothing choices if their parents didn't dictate what they wear.  All the guys would wear shorts & t-shirts more in the hot humid summer Arkansas heat, the girls would wear shorts and pants, probably tank tops and I seriously doubt they would wear so many layers all the time.  I'm not saying they'd be out in Daisy Dukes and halter-tops but dressed more like other girls their ages.  

57 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

The updated clothing and hair choices definitely let them look more normal in the long run. Sure they were still playing up the freak show angle with the skirts only and courting, but that wasn't as clear in the early days. Just because there wasn't as much courting. You could kind of sink into the show and forget because it was mostly boring. 

well you couldn't court 12 year olds like Jessa was or 14 year olds like Jill - so snow episodes had to suffice - and also Ben would have been 9 

3 minutes ago, nst said:

well you couldn't court 12 year olds like Jessa was or 14 year olds like Jill - so snow episodes had to suffice - and also Ben would have been 9 

Nope but post Josh, Jana and JD were getting close to 18 and I mean look at Ben, Joy, and Kendra. ;) 

2 hours ago, seashell1025 said:

Hm, that's very interesting.  Ironic that it coincided with that.  I forgot about them talking about "modern modest" looks.  Gotta say that it at least did make them look a little more normal but i didn't know that.  thanks!

Also interesting! Thanks for sharing, everyone! When I get into something new, I love gaining as much info as possible, so this was some very good insight! 

Those were good questions. Feel free to ask more if you can't find the information you're looking for.

SOTDRT is also a great resource for new posters or those new to the world of Fundies. Here are a few links if you ever need something to keep you busy:

http://www.freejinger.org/forum/223-whos-who-fundamentalist-family-and-organization-summaries/

http://www.freejinger.org/forum/221-sotdrt/

Here's a thread @Bethellastarted to keep track of scandals and crimes involving the Fundies we discuss here. Some of the posts include links to relevant articles:

16 hours ago, ginger135 said:

Rober Dahl said it best, 

“If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”

On 3/20/2017 at 6:22 PM, Jilli said:

@Shadoewolf my whole family absolutely loves Faceoff. I've researched the Westmores and probably will again. The main reason I love the show is because of the creativity and camaraderie that doesn't take place on most reality competition tv shows. It's fun so see people work together to push the craft.

I love the show too, but I'm not too hot about this season. I like the pairings and all, but I just don't like how the judging works now. 

On 3/19/2017 at 2:12 PM, eleanora3 said:

Does anyone know what church Ben and Jessa attend? Is it different from the one the Duggars attend? And didn't Jill and Derick attend Cross Church when they were in town? It's kind of odd they all go to different churches

Ben said in this post that they go to Harvard Avenue Baptist Church. But that was two years ago, for all anyone knows they could go to church with Jessa's family now. 

3 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Henry looks like Aunt Jinger with those facial expressions. :P 

Oh my gosh. The expression on the right is allllll Duggar. 

Those two sure do make cute babies.

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Oh my gosh. The expression on the right is allllll Duggar. 

Those two sure do make cute babies.

At the risk of downvotes, I'm not seeing 'cute'. The one time I dared to say Spurgeon was merely 'ordinarily cute' and not 'OMG adorable' the post was down voted.

This photo looks like Uncle Fester, 100%.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived