IGNORED

Seewalds 19: Dust Bunnies and Babies

Destiny

7 hours ago, seasonsoflife said:

"Your blood washed away my sins" I find this very disturbing, but, of course, the brainwashing has to start early. It is like learning a new language, the sooner the better. 

I grew up singing songs like that so it always seemed normal but I remember once as a teenager standing in church and singing about being covered in Jesus's blood and having this sudden realization that if a total outsider saw us it would seem very creepy and cultish.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/11/2017 at 9:08 AM, Carm_88 said:

Poor Henry! He's only a month old, give him time to get cute. He might be the sweetest baby. :P

Babies need time to unfurl once they're born before they get cute. Nothing that's spent a long time in a uterus is gonna be cute immediately upon exit. My preemies looked like bright red fetus aliens for weeks. Eventually they became the cutest thing I've ever, ever seen. No sense in lying and saying a squished up baby is adorable if you don't think they are. I've yet to see a 4 month old that wasn't like 5 billion times cuter than they were at birth!

9 minutes ago, twinmama said:

Babies need time to unfurl once they're born before they get cute. Nothing that's spent a long time in a uterus is gonna be cute immediately upon exit. My preemies looked like bright red fetus aliens for weeks. Eventually they became the cutest thing I've ever, ever seen. No sense in lying and saying a squished up baby is adorable if you don't think they are. I've yet to see a 4 month old that wasn't like 5 billion times cuter than they were at birth!

I agree with what you're saying in a way-- they do look cuter when they get more fat on their bodies and such and the skin isn't so red-- but I can't help but think that most newborns are also cute. Maybe it's because I used to help my sister do newborn photography (it usually took place in their first 10 days of life to ensure they still had that teeny "newborn look" and so they'd sleep through the session). They always looked pretty adorable in the pictures to me. Not that I'm arguing that you should find newborns cute, just that I always hear people talk about how ugly they are as if it's a fact (or that they look like old men, etc.) and I feel I have to speak up for the minority of us who still think that's cute! LOL

Just now, SassyPants said:

Let's give her a shot-

It can't possibly make that show any more awkward or boring than it already is, so bring it on, Jessa. 

I'm going to say Jessa would probably be a better rapper than Ben. The bar is low...

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

I think it was a stinky tour bus which used to belong to a sports team or something.  They just crammed all the kids in there like well, a clown car.

They crammed kids in and took a fully pregnant Anna along on a trip- 

Cramming them in..and if needs be, pushing them out.

I'll excuse myself to the prayer closet- in honor of St Paddy's Day- heathen, ebil Catholic. :beer:

7 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

They crammed kids in and took a fully pregnant Anna along on a trip- 

Cramming them in..and if needs be, pushing them out.

I'll excuse myself to the prayer closet- in honor of St Paddy's Day- heathen, ebil Catholic. :beer:

From one ebil Catholic to another: Slainte! :beer:

29 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

From one ebil Catholic to another: Slainte! :beer:

I don't even like beer, but :beer:

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

I don't even like beer, but :beer:

I'm actually drinking red vino and am no longer a Catholic, so we're all good.

TV at our house is varied. The kiddos like Teen Titans Go and Amazing Adventures of Gumball. Hubby LOVES Futurama reruns so much that I now get a twitch in my eye upon hearing the theme song. But otherwise it's Expedition Unknown, Curse of Oak Island, Switched at Birth, Forged in Fire, Face Off/Cosplay Melee, Pitbulls and Parolees/The Guardians and any Red Wings or Blackhawks games that happen to be on.  My therapist has me watching Chicago Med and Code Black as part of my treatment. I love watching reruns of House.

On 3/17/2017 at 3:36 PM, Rachel333 said:

I grew up singing songs like that so it always seemed normal but I remember once as a teenager standing in church and singing about being covered in Jesus's blood and having this sudden realization that if a total outsider saw us it would seem very creepy and cultish.

Re:  song lyrics "Your blood washed away my sins"

My stepfather grew up in a poor family that believed in the razor strop for punishments, but the kids had to do something really wrong to be strapped, like the time he and his brother pulled a stunt that was so dangerous that it almost got one of them badly injured or killed and put the whole family's livelihood in danger, and there was no health insurance or public assistance to help.  It was also called getting a 'butt licking', and not in a fetish way.

If Dad threatened a butt licking, we knew it meant getting a spanking.  (I guess Dad could be seen as more progressive than his father, since he didn't have a razor strop and would need to use his belt.)  I don't remember any of us kids actually getting such a spanking.  THE LOOK was usually enough.  If we were stupid enough to continue with whatever idiocy we were doing, Dad would give us THE LOOK again and ask:  "Do you want me to lick your butt?"  We didn't even have to think about it.  "No," we'd say.  "Good," he'd reply.  One more LOOK for good measure and it was done as far as he was concerned.  The incident was never mentioned again.  Mom might have more to say, like an extra chore or an early bedtime, but we were happy to oblige at that point.

I remember the last time I heard Dad say that, at least to me.  I was a mouthy teen and I'd gotten to the point where he said "Do you want me to lick your butt?"  I felt ashamed as I suddenly realized that there might be some people who would put a different meaning to the question.  I could feel my face furiously blushing and it actually got worse as Dad followed my blushing and expression and then he also looked horribly embarrassed.  "No", I squeaked out.  I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me.  I knew I'd passed some kind of point and had taken something that was kind of innocent in it's way and turned it into something else.  "Good,"  and Dad looked away.  I didn't get the followup LOOK.  The one that said that this was done, and wouldn't be spoken of again.  

There was a sadness that a family custom had been somehow sullied by me.  My older siblings were present and glared at me.  They'd long since realized the double entendre, but had better poker faces.  I know it might seem strange to others, but although I realize that over time some things fall out of favor and are replaced by other customs or traditions, I didn't want to be the one to cause the change in that instance.

@Shadoewolf,  we're fans of Switched at Birth around here, too and were even before my deaf granddaughter joined our family at 18 months of age.  I'm sad that Freefrom decided to cancel it.

My youngest daughter was inspired by the show to learn ASL.  She had no idea that it would come in handy with her niece.

Does anyone know what church Ben and Jessa attend? Is it different from the one the Duggars attend? And didn't Jill and Derick attend Cross Church when they were in town? It's kind of odd they all go to different churches

5 minutes ago, eleanora3 said:

Does anyone know what church Ben and Jessa attend? Is it different from the one the Duggars attend? And didn't Jill and Derick attend Cross Church when they were in town? It's kind of odd they all go to different churches

5 minutes ago, eleanora3 said:

I know they married in the Baptist Church in Bentonville.

Henry definitely has an expressive face. It will be interesting to watch him change. 

"He's the brother who got all the hair", said HW Seewald.

"Yes, but you got the good name," replied SE Seewald.

I saw a bunch of people commenting on her photo said they thought the picture was of a girl and a boy. I want to to be like first of all S. Elliot does not look like a girl. Secondly, having longer hair which is is not that long does not make him a girl and he doesn't even look like a girl.. talk about enforcing gender roles. Its very annoying that their leg humpers actually like push for gender differentiation. If Jessa cuts his hair in response to those comments I will be very very upset because he has great hair and he is super cute.

4 minutes ago, bananabread said:

Okay...I think Henry is ALL Ben! :pb_lol: He's getting pretty cute!

henry.png

Genetics are fascinating. SES has all that hair and here HWS has as much hair as Uncle Fester. At least he's not girl, because that fate would be cruel...especially in Fundie Land. He's cute and tiny as compared to SES- SES always seemed big to me.

13 minutes ago, bananabread said:

Okay...I think Henry is ALL Ben! :pb_lol: He's getting pretty cute!

henry.png

Hahah! He has that looking in the distance, kind of out there look that Ben has. He is getting to that cute stage, though I will give him a bit more time to completely unfurl! He definitely is one of those babies who looks like Winston Churchill though. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived