IGNORED

Post-Rapture Introductions

snarkykitty

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Nell checking in! Love the new board set up.

I was Nell on the old board too, but have been mostly lurking recently due to lack of time not lack of interest.

Brief intro: born in the UK, but grew up in Africa as a fundie-lite medical missionary kid, back to the UK to finish my education and recover from fundie upbringing, then married my recovering Catholic, agnostic, very non-patriarchal husband and came to the US 30+ years ago. Devout atheist, albeit an occasional Friends Meeting attender (I like meditating/thinking in a group and they put up with my atheism). Self-employed MSW with background in domestic violence/abuse prevention. No kids but we've always had dogs. Two retired racing greyhounds grace my home at present. :D

Hello all! Keeping the same old name for continuity.

OMG why do I feel like these will come in handy a lot: :violin: :think: :pray: :o Oh man, too much fun.

Anyway:

-I am a 27 y/o woman, as far away from a Keeper at Home as you can imagine. I live in sin with my partner of almost 4 years. I don't have kids and am still on the fence about whether I want them. My partner has a 9 y/o son who is with us 3 days/wk, and that's as much parenting as I ever get exposed to. I think babies are cute, but I'm not a huge "kid person."

-I am working on a Ph.D. in Slavic Languages and Literatures at a "liberal elite East Coast university." The pay is shit, as are the job prospects, but I couldn't be happier!

-I am an unapologetic feminist, atheist, and all-around "left-wing radical."

-I was born in the former USSR and immigrated at age 8. I only have an accent when I'm angry or nervous.

-My handle comes from my 2-year experiment with being a modern Orthodox Jew, long skirts and all. It didn't work out so well. I currently identify simply as Ashkenazi.

-I'm not as good at snark as I am at long-winded analyses. Apologies in advance. :)

I'm a semi-lurker, occasional poster - same name on the last site. I'm somewhat addicted to FJ and read every day. I'm 33, live in Australia, married by mortgage with two fur-babies, with no intention to fill my quiver. I finished a degree last year and work in arts administration. My passion is music, and I play a few instruments. I also love to read, crochet, embroider and cook.

I was raised non-religious, but went to an Anglican school. My dad was raised Roman Catholic but strongly rejected it all as a teenager. I have an unhealthy fascination with the FLDS but interested in all sorts of fundamentalism. We have very few visible fundies where I live, so if I see women with long hair, long denim skirts and head-coverings, I get ridiculously excited. I think they are mostly Exclusive Brethren around here...

Congratulations to our esteemed moderators and administrators on the new board! :clap: Thankyou!

Hooray!

I have the same name on here as I did on the old FJ (masagoroll), but I don't think I really introduced myself there!

I was raised conservative Christian/maybe fundie lite. My parents aren't too fundie, but I went to evangelical Christian school that was rather legalistic and fundie. I married a homeschooler, haha, but we have both gotten much more liberal since then.

I'm 24, I live in Texas, I'm a preschool teacher, and I have 4 birds.

I love FJ! :)

Hi everybody!

I'm starfyre01, was new to the boards (and I'm still going to hell on this one - no handbaskets around, though, I see). I'm a longtime lurker on the TWOP board (too restrictive and ban-happy with the posters there, so I never joined in) and lurked for a long time on FJ before finally deciding to join in on the snarkery. I was raised in a very non-religious home in MA, although I was baptized Catholic and went to a Catholic school between grades 6-11 due to the crappy school system at the time (I finally jumped ship and went back to public school the night of my junior prom - not telling anybody that I had decided to leave either. It was a full cutoff.). I was not impressed with the idea of organized religion, and it really hit home that I loathed organized religion in general when an anti-abortion film was shown to the entire school when I was in the 10th grade - it was one with C. Everett Koop in it... I didn't tell my parents that I had seen it for almost a year (not sure why, to this day), and when I did fess up, my folks were furious with me for not telling them.

I'm single, 41, childless, but happily live with two poodles who are of the awesome, and have a great career in healthcare software technology that allows me to travel frequently around the US, occasionally Canada, and to Europe on very rare occasions. I find that as I'm getting older, I'm not becoming more conservative, but more liberal, and now classify myself as a secular humanist. In spite of that, I've always been fascinated by religions/cults and I've been watching with a very wary eye how much the evangelical Christians have been taking a more active role in politics - and are attempting to push their own version of a theocracy in the States. Many thanks to the great mods and owner of FJ to moving us to this new board! :D 8-)

Hello, I think I may be one of the oldest people on here. I'm turning 48 this summer. I got involved in the fledgling fundie online blitz of the early 90s as our culture turned inward to their screens with the advent of more accessible interwebz. My first encounter was on the old Dephi, where a nice young psychopath of a preacher mailed my ex via snail mail a virtually unreadable diatribe on why I should submit to him. From there, it just went downhill. Never got into the child discipline aspects of this insanity, but it did my own pysche enough damage that I've probably handed some down to her by osmosis. I'm a mom, obviously, to a teenager suffering from a couple of fairly serious conditions, coupled with a type A personality that means she won't rest when she should. I also spent a few years in the pagan/wiccan community. I'm a philosophical tossed salad.

I'm an avid gardener, home canner, love reading, have at the moment 3 furbabies, cats, and a pseudo-hubby who I love dearly. I work at home, doing tech support and customer service work. I's po, but would be even if I pulled down a good salary, due to my daughter's medical bills. I am claiming this as my favorite smiley. :animals-chickencatch:

Hi! I'm synchroswimr. Live in California, married to my high school sweetheart and my first boyfriend. No human children, just two kitties. Former teacher, chemistry and geology degrees. Still working, but can't tell you where. Suffer from depression, anxiety. The anxiety comes in OCD behaviors, trichotillomania and chronic skin picking. :geek:

Edited because I got nervous about my original post. I do believe in complete sentences, despite my choppiness up there. :?

I just have to say, I am really enjoying reading everyone's intros. I love learning new things about everyone!

Me too! It's so ~edifying~

Hi, I'm SpicyCat, a long time lurker who came out of the woods for the move. I'm in my late 30's with three "arrows" in my quiver. I was raised in any number of religions and don't know how we missed the AIT, IBLF etc.-- oh wait, yes I do, my psycho mother never would've gone for anything that forced her to be submissive, THANK HEAVENS! Otherwise I can totally see us having ended up this way. I now consider myself an athiest buddist. I found FreeJinger through a combination of TWoP, where I also lurked for a long time, RazingRuth, and No longer Quivering.

I am fascinated in an "oh my god this really HAPPENS??" type way and got involved in it all when I saw some of the first Duggar specials. I was utterly hooked (disgusted) when I heard, I believe, Jinger going on and on about the stove she'd have in the new house as if it were the bestest, most awesomest thing EVER. (barf) I just KNEW there was something funky with them and had to look into it. The reality was... mindboggling.

I'll probably continue to mostly lurk, but it's all fascinating! SO glad everythings worked out and the board has landed somewhere new.

Hi all!

I'm bea. I'm in my late thirties, I'm married and have two little girls. I'm a stay at home mom with a graduate degree in library science.

I grew up Catholic and am raising my kids Catholic, but as for actual belief? Errr..... I've been involved in the occult community and the Western Mystery Tradition for almost twenty years.

I never did an official introduction on yuku, I just kind of slid in unnoticed. :D

I'm 35 and a military wife that stays at home with our three kids and spoiled kitteh. With his schedule, it's just easier if I don't work. Born and raised in south Texas, Dougie-land to be exact. Managed to get stationed here so we're currently on the Texas coast and enjoying being near family. Former warcraft nerd, lost the zest for it after I got my legendary weapon. :violence-guntoting: Yeah, I'm proud...that was a seriously big time commitment. My husband and I both have bachelor degrees and we love to work out.

Oh...and Lady Gaga is my patron saint.

edited because I haven't had my coffee today apparently

I should introduce myself a bit more. The name SamuraiKatz is taken from a character created by Mark E. Rodgers.

-I work for a godless state university in a Library.

-I live in Duggar country and have driven past the family compound a time or two on my way to the Waste Management landfill.

-Duggar country is also the land of the Wal-Martians. I live about 35 miles from the mother ship...er home offices.. :-)

-My Quiver only has four arrows because I had the sense to stop when my third pregnancy resulted in fraternal twins. All arrows are female and have been taught to question authority. No school of the dining room table for me. The arrows are now 17-24 in age.

-We have five cats, a golden retriever and a pembroke welsh corgi

-My fundie cred is being an ex Historic/Reformed Seventhday Adventist. Very strict, very unyielding. Still don't know what I was thinking going there. Left when one of my er "sisters in christ" told me that one of my twins had autism because God knew I needed more perfection of character.

-I'm now more in touch with myself. Alternate between Unity and Episcopal for church services. Depends on my mood...both are liberal woman affirming, glbt affirming places.

-The most important thing I learned on my journey is that going to church, getting married and having kids does not cure same sex attraction.....

This is probably more than you folks wanted to know...but this is me.

Samurai Katz

Ah, my inlaws live in Duggar country. They've even bought cars from them. :o Although they really don't like what they've become.

We've made it out there as often as we can for the past 15 years. Boy, have things changed! Before the airport was built, before the bypass was completed, the fancy golf course houses...it was all farm country. Now it's McMansions, and every known chain store and restaurants. I remember when the Krispy Kreme opened down the street from the ArkDemocrat. I honestly watch the show so I can say to hubby - hey, I've been there! And there! lol

Welcome! This is also my first post on the new forum =)

I LOVE Big Love but I actually haven't finished it yet! I think I have two episodes to go so we will probably get there tonight.

hurrah! i didn't get Left Behind. take that, lehaye!

so, yeah. i'm contrary, same as at yuku...i found FJ via TWOP, then Razing Ruth.

i'm almost 39, mother of two girls, ages 4 and 2...

i was raised in a liberal, episcopalian household. I'm definitely christian, currently attending a presbyterian church, but my heart is really yearning for a return to more formal liturgy.

(edited because i dont wanna speak for anybody but myself)

Testing, testing, 123...

I was raised Pentecostal AOG, with speaking in tongues, passing out on the floor, shaking, Jesus Camp, etc. I went to an evangelical Christian College, where I met my husband. We don't go to church very often; sometimes if we're awake we'll pick one of the big beautiful historical churches in our city to marvel at the architecture and art.

Currently I am on unemployment, so I am the Keeper of the Home! :( After I got laid off I decided to go back to school for a masters to become a teacher. Double whammy: 1.) female working outside of the home, and 2.) in an evil public school.

I am 28 and in the midst of fertility testing. So desperate for children that I have actually prayed to God and told him I will go quiverfull if that is what it takes. He apparently did not like that idea since we are still childless. So I told him if he wants me to adopt he better give me a job. He apparently did not like that idea either since I am still unemployed.

We live in the center of a major Northeastern city, so the only fundies here are orthodox Jews and they aren't very exciting.

Ah, my inlaws live in Duggar country. They've even bought cars from them. :o Although they really don't like what they've become.

We've made it out there as often as we can for the past 15 years. Boy, have things changed! Before the airport was built, before the bypass was completed, the fancy golf course houses...it was all farm country. Now it's McMansions, and every known chain store and restaurants. I remember when the Krispy Kreme opened down the street from the ArkDemocrat. I honestly watch the show so I can say to hubby - hey, I've been there! And there! lol

Ah Snarky Kitty....love the name. I remember when the only airport was Drake Field in Fayetteville. The Waltons, JB Hunts and Tysons colluded to force the airport to no where on the area. The Waltons profited mightily as one family member or another owned a lot of the land where XNA now exists.

I'm old enough to remember when Highway 412 was a two lane road. When the by pass wasn't there. When the only fast food around was a Tastee Freeze, KFC and of course McDonalds. This area has so changed that it's like waking up in a different universe some days. And I hate that all the farm land has been paved over for row after row of McSubdivisions. I remember when the Krispy Kreme in Bentonville was a big, big deal. I have yet to make it to the Promenade to check out the rich folks seriously upgraded Neighborhood Market. When I do, I plan on taking pictures for a compare and contrast post on a blog I haven't started yet :D

Your in laws are amazing. I don't think I would ever buy a car from a Duggar. I don't want to be responsible for contributing to the furtherance of ignorance, misogyny and misery that their lifestyle often creates. We experience the occasional Duggar sighting at the Sams Club or the Mall Walmart. I do my best to ignore them :twisted:

:shifty: I never introduced myself properly on yuku either... so hi. I'm a 20-something woman. I'm a student at the social work school and at the sociology faculty. I'm interested in humans, although I'm socially awkward.

I'm a non-believer, but I have been a member of the Protestant church. Neither my family or I have been actively religious though.

Why I'm here? Hmm one reason is procrastination. Another reason is that I'm interested in religion and how religion influence people's lives. Nowadays I feel bothered with fundamentally religious people and how they affect their children (negatively). I think religion should be an individual choice and not something a parent choose for their child.

How I came in contact with the fundie-world? Some years ago I googled feminism and found Kelly's blog Families against feminism. I felt angry and shocked when I read her statements about how working women make other working men stumble and even cheat on their wives. It was all the woman's fault... Basically, Kelly introduced me to the fundie-world.

Hello everyone!

This is QueenFrigid. I haven't posted in a while (been spending a lot of time with the Mckmama drama). Anyway, I wanted a change of name for a while and this was the perfect opportunity to do so.

I grew up Catholic though I am no longer a believer.

I think that's it for now lol

I'm MeeMee. Recovering preacher's kid. (Now pushing 40.)

It's one thing to know Christ, quite another to work for his 'followers'.

M

Formergothardite here and I'm so glad I didn't get left behind! I live in the Bible belt. Was raised IFB, then was in the ATI/IBLP/Gothard homeschool program for awhile. Love all the new smilies!

Hi I'm t0r0sebud1, middle-aged working in California as a school psychologist. I guess you could say the Duggars were my "gateway fundies". I am fascinated because it was by the grace of God that I did not gravitate to an ATI lifestyle because of my need for stability early on. My parents were impossibly young (both died young) and offered no guidance whatsoever. Spent my 20's drifting and taking college classes until they added up to a degree. Was married for 18 years to a good man who suffered from a devastating break-down from which he has not fully recovered. I have raised my 16-year-old son alone from the time he was 8 and we are both doing great. I have always been attracted to the idea of practicing Christianity in the way of Jesus, but I have abandoned this as an ideal that is seldom realized. My religious views are not static and change from time to time. Right now I can be described a radical, left-wing agnostic who spends her days and nights caring for children. I usually give my two cents when there is a thread mentioning abuse of any sort. Fundies of the ATI, VF, Gothard, or Pearl-worshipping type abhor me, otherwise I can see myself being friends with most of them if they would take me.

I formerly posted as ebh2, a very unimaginative username I'll say! I originally registered by the same name I use to post occasionally on the Maxwell's blogs, and I freaked out that they might come here and recognize me, so I changed it to the initials of my name... ho hum. I never once argued with my own sock puppet so please forgive my lack of creative alias making.

Now I'll go by ricky ticky, which was one of my numerous childhood nicknames. Remember Ricky Ticky Tavi the mongoose from The Jungle Book?

I have experimented all of my life with various religious and spiritual paths. I now attend a Unitarian Universalist congregation and study Buddhist meditation and teachings.

I am a feminist single mother of two boys both of whom have medical challenges.

Archived