IGNORED

USA Gymnastics: Larry Nassar sexual abuse charges mount

clueliss

10 hours ago, Spartan89 said:

Thanks...it’s definitely been a weird experience. I’m actually doing relatively well. I had NO idea I had been assaulted until the story broke last year. The “treatment” felt off at the time, but I thought *I* was being perverse and making it into something that it wasn’t.

One of the hardest things has been trusting people with my daughter. She’s 1.5, and I won’t leave her with anybody except my husband and occasionally my mom. I would love a break, as she’s in a very challenging stage of toddler hood, but I just can’t bring myself to trust anyone. Larry gave off no red flags. Not one. Seemed like the most normal, nerdy “Dad” type of guy. I’ve actually struggled with even feeling bad for him at times during this process, even though I logically know he’s a terrible person.

I’ve never been assaulted, but I have a 13 month old daughter and the thought that someone could hurt her in that way scares me too. I can only imagine the fear and worry must be even worse for you having actually lived through that. 

Trust your instincts when it comes to your child - if you aren’t comfortable leaving her with anyone else right now then you absolutely don’t have to. With time you may become more comfortable with the idea. Until then, please be gentle and kind with yourself. Any feelings you have about your child or your abuse or Nassar himself are completely valid. :romance-caress:

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

USA Gymnastics is cutting ties with Karolyi ranch because it was a site of many of the abuses.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/18/us/usa-gymnastics-karolyi-ranch/index.html

I’m curious what other steps they may take to prevent this from happening again. How do they intend to protect vulnerable athletes who have to travel away from their parents in order to pursue their dreams? Are they going to implement new hiring strategies to help weed out any potential predators? Will they change the rules about how treatments are performed or who must be in the room during treatments? What about reporting procedures? Will they update or change those? 

Cutting ties with the center is a good first step, but it can’t be the only one USA Gymnastics takes. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

Article covering Aly Raisman’s statements during the sentencing hearing. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/courtroom-erupts-applause-aly-raisman-unloaded-larry-nassar-calls-usa-gymnastics-190211580.html?exp=vv

I honestly have no words. She’s performed flawless routines in competitions before and she’s earned all sorts of accolades, but this was by far her greatest moment thus far. I’m so very proud of her, McKayla Maroney, Jordyn Wieber, and every other victim who has come forward in any capacity. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

So there are a few problems here and Aly perfectly highlighted them.

1) USAG is still using the ranch despite statements they won't anymore.   There is some sort of national testing in February where the ranch is still being used.  Rumor on some gymnastics blogs is they will stay until the lease is up, whenever that is.

2). The protections in place to prevent this sort of abuse for the USOC and USAG were CREATED by Nassar.   Yet they tout they have protections in place and that they hold no fault.

3) This man clearly had a bubble protecting him all this years.   With so many victims it just isn't possible that coaches, USAG staffers, msu etc someone didn't hear something.  I hope everything is flipped upside down and those who hid it are also held accountable.   (I secretly hope Aly can have some role in among over)

Spartan-  I'm so sorry the abuse you endured by that man.  I'm so sorry the protections that should have been in place for you weren't.   With your daughter and having a hard time trusting others.   Someday that will get easier, but for now don't feel guilty about that.  Don't ever doubt yourself.  Anyone who loves you will understand.   Thanks for being so brave and speaking out.  

• Upvote 13

The problem with USAG, which has always been the problem, is that they have no money, no sponsors, and have to rely on abusers (Karolyi's, Nassar, Donna "Quitters Try" Strauss, MLT).  Seriously, it is a whole cast of assholes who have the equipment and facilities to try to piece together a national program.

I don't really know what to think of Tatiana Perkaia's rise in the system. She was my coach for a very brief period, and I was not very good, so she didn't really bother with me.  Others she had in tears almost every day. I always see her sitting next to Marta...

Edited by SuperSluth
  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

What about the board members who approved of these non-disclosure agreements? How many of them are still on the board and why aren't they being forced out?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

You know what really upsets me. When they first found this out decades ago they'e should've done something. Bella and Marta knew too. This is so sickening. 

• Upvote 12

47 minutes ago, Evangeline said:

What about the board members who approved of these non-disclosure agreements? How many of them are still on the board and why aren't they being forced out?

From what I understand, the NDAs were drafted by the gymnasts' lawyers during negotiations.  These girls have sub-par educations, sold out to sponsors so can't be on college team/get scholarships, are broken physically from a demanding sport, and now emotionally from a creepy doc. I think it's pretty standard that when you are paid off, you don't talk about it. I wouldn't blame the board, though I doubt they helped matters.

16 hours ago, SuperSluth said:

From what I understand, the NDAs were drafted by the gymnasts' lawyers during negotiations.  These girls have sub-par educations, sold out to sponsors so can't be on college team/get scholarships, are broken physically from a demanding sport, and now emotionally from a creepy doc. I think it's pretty standard that when you are paid off, you don't talk about it. I wouldn't blame the board, though I doubt they helped matters.

I think claiming some of these girls having subpar educations isn't very fair to say either. Jordyn is a college graduate and addended high school.   Aly sounded quite educated and articulate in her speeches and interviews.  Many gymnasts attend college and graduate college.  These girls aren't as weak and helpless as you make them out to sound.   As for the NDA it does make them seem creepy, but was probably needed so the investigation could move forward without the media.  I'm glad for the victim statement they chose not to fine her for it.   That is the appropriate time to be able to speak about it, investigation is done.   Also them paying her and having her sign an NDA makes me feel there is some culpability.  Why else would USAG pay for something another person did? 

Edited by SisNancy
  • Upvote 4

On 1/20/2018 at 2:35 PM, SisNancy said:

I think claiming some of these girls having subpar educations isn't very fair to say either. Jordyn is a college graduate and addended high school.   Aly sounded quite educated and articulate in her speeches and interviews.  Many gymnasts attend college and graduate college.  These girls aren't as weak and helpless as you make them out to sound.   As for the NDA it does make them seem creepy, but was probably needed so the investigation could move forward without the media.  I'm glad for the victim statement they chose not to fine her for it.   That is the appropriate time to be able to speak about it, investigation is done.   Also them paying her and having her sign an NDA makes me feel there is some culpability.  Why else would USAG pay for something another person did? 

Agreed, I think criticizing them for having subpar educations is a very low blow. Especially since in the case of Maroney:'s NDA was her lawyer's fault for not knowing it was legal legal to enter into a NDa around a Minor's sex abuse in California

• Upvote 3

Thus far, nobody at MSU is behaving well in any of this.
And Tom Izzo is apparently walking back his remarks, but, holy shit, how could he screw up this badly?  

Friday, Izzo said it had been a “difficult week for me” and he hoped “the right person was convicted.”

(and WHY are  staffers/board members/etc there falling all over itself to explain why the president, who allegedly heard about these issues in the 90's, should have full support?  I"m not saying we need to burn her at the stake--she might not be part of the problem/coverup.  But IMO, there hasn't been nearly enough done to investigate the coverup and decide who gets axed--maybe sit on your 'full support' until that investigation is done well by OUTSIDE agencies[their own, allegedly investigated, I know  BUt there's no report to show us.  I'm doubtful].  Of course, Izzo is also saying he just used 'wrong words', but, call me crazy, but if you read his full text, it doesn't seem like a mis-speak to me.  But I"m jaded and suspicious.)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-tom-izzo-aly-raisman-20180121-story.html

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1

I am not being critical of the girls, just critical of the advice and choices that adults in their lives are making for them while they are underage.

I will say many gymnasts are perfectionist, type A personalities and have been very successful despite the loss of focus on academics. Former gymnasts from the 1990s and early 2000s (like Kim Zmeskal and Vanessa Alter) find that they are really only qualified to be gymnastics coaches. If you read Dominique Moceanu's book, after gymnastics she had a very hard time with higher education and finding a career. She could not be on a college team or get a college scholarship b/c she accepted money from sponsors (and was encouraged by the Karolyi's and USAG to do so).  That is why you see many former Olympians training at colleges but not part of the actual team. 

• Upvote 6

Looks like the sentencing is going forward as we speak. I hope Judge Aquilina throws the book at him. I can't wait to hear her commentary.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

Looks like the sentencing is going forward as we speak. I hope Judge Aquilina throws the book at him. I can't wait to hear her commentary.

She's talking and has been for a while, but when she started she said a little bit about herself, that she's from an immigrant family and she said that not many people like her and I wanted to yell at the screen "No, @Mela99 likes you!".

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

40-175 years. 

Not enough, but at least he'll die in prison. 

I can't wait to read the transcript of her commentary.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, Mela99 said:

She did and she did it beautifully!

The Karolis (not sure of the spelling) probably knew and didn't care. I read a book written by one of the girls who was on the team at the Atlanta olympics,  Dominique Moceanu, and she went into quite a bit about the mistreatment at the hands of the hands of the Karolis. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

That's right, Rachael Denhollander, the first whistle-blower against USA gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar graduated from Bill Gothard's law school. http://obclaa.blogspot.com/2014/10/its-wrap-tahoe-2014-highlights.html?m=1. Scroll down to the board meeting minutes and you'll find her name right above James "My kids don't need birth certificates" Pennington ' s.

She's now an attorney in Kentucky.

Mods, feel free to merge if this is covered elsewhere.

• Upvote 14

The SI commentary by Charles Pierce is good:

Burn it all down. That is the calm and reasoned conclusion to which I have come as one horror story after another unspooled in the courtroom. Nobody employed in the upper echelons at USA Gymnastics, or at the United States Olympic Committee, or at Michigan State University should still have a job. If accessorial or conspiracy charges plausibly can be lodged against those people, they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Those people should come out of civil courts wearing barrels. Their descendants should be answering motions in the 22nd Century. In fact, I can argue convincingly that none of those three institutions should continue to exist in its current form. USA Gymnastics and the USOC should lose their non-profit status forthwith. Michigan State should lose its status within the NCAA for at least five years. American gymnastics is no longer a sport. It’s a conspiracy of pedophiles and their enablers.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1

13 hours ago, Briefly said:

She did and she did it beautifully!

The Karolis (not sure of the spelling) probably knew and didn't care. I read a book written by one of the girls who was on the team at the Atlanta olympics,  Dominique Moceanu, and she went into quite a bit about the mistreatment at the hands of the hands of the Karolis. 

I do wonder that if Maggie's coach overheard the girls talking about treatment and took action, how many other times were girls talking about it and overheard and no one did a damn thing? 

I won't accuse every adult at the ranch of knowing specifically what was happening, but no doubt that they turn blind eyes to keep a doctor on staff who would give health clearances and allow injured athletes to continue to compete. Anything for that gold medal. 

Edited by Casserole
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Spiritual Sounding Board found an article that talks about how she had to leave her church and lost friends because of her pursuit of justice. It looks like taking a stand also motivated her to go to law school. I don't think this is how Gothard envisioned his students changing the world, but more power to her.

• Upvote 20
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2