IGNORED

Shin splints?

DaniLouisiana

I think I have shin splints, again..sigh..! We did a lot of up and down hill walking on Sunday and everyone in my family has longer legs than me. I wore my long lace up boots in hopes that this wouldn't happen again (sigh). Stinging, burning pain when I walk just around my house. Any flexing of my shins causes pain in the front of leg.

So far, I've tried heat (dry and moist), anti inflammatory and high intensity pain relief. Lidocaine patches are next.

3 hours ago, DaniLouisiana said:

I think I have shin splints, again..sigh..! We did a lot of up and down hill walking on Sunday and everyone in my family has longer legs than me. I wore my long lace up boots in hopes that this wouldn't happen again (sigh). Stinging, burning pain when I walk just around my house. Any flexing of my shins causes pain in the front of leg.

So far, I've tried heat (dry and moist), anti inflammatory and high intensity pain relief. Lidocaine patches are next.

If you are trying to avoid them in the future, you might consider a chiropractor with a background in sports medicine. There are several different causes of "shin splints" but most are caused by muscle imbalance. The most serious are stress factors.  As for relief now, ice and rest.

• Upvote 2

I agree on a good chiro.  Some of my Achilles tendonitis is related to misalignments in my lower back (degenerative discs).  I found a new chiro in October for an upper back issue but the work she's doing on my whole back has helped the achy left foot.  

• Upvote 2

The lidocaine patches overnight with long socks helped immensely. This happens every time we do a lot of up and down hill, especially San Francisco. When I start walking again when it warms to an acceptable temperature, I will (& usually do) avoid hills the first week or two. My usual winter workout is dancing around my home while cleaning 3-4 nights a week.

• 3 years later...

Have you tried compression socks?  They won't cure the shin splints, but I find they make them feel much less achy. They can be worn during activity, or after to help with recovery. 

• Upvote 1