IGNORED

United States Governors

Cartmann99

22 hours ago, clueliss said:

Because not turning over the data a judge is requesting is always such a good idea (especially when you've already had to resign)

So you don't have to click on the link:

A group known as The Sunshine Project had filed a lawsuit against the former governer seeking information about an app used by his office that deletes messages after they've been sent.

The plaintiffs wanted to know just who was using the app and what devices the app was downloaded to.

After accusing the defendants of "a long tradition of stonewalling, evasion and partial compliance", the group is asking that the plaintiffs pay the costs of further court actions, such as requesting and obtaining forensic copies of the phones which used Confide, the costs of plaintiff’s forensic expert, and the costs of video depositions, among others.

The hope is that the deleted messages can be recovered.  If successful, Greitens could end up paying for part of the costs spent to gather evidence for any future charges brought against him stemming from his scandal laden time as governor of Missouri.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

Mike Huckabee is sad about Greitens:

• WTF 3

Mike Huckabee is sad about Greitens:

There’s a reason I call him Fuckabee. And, gentlepersons, here it is.
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

MO-House drops subpeona on Greitens Records

cwww.komu.com/news/missouri-house-drops-subpoena-for-greitens-related-records

Missouri House drops subpoena for Greitens-related records

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 10:03:00 PM CDT in Continuous News

By: The Associated Press

Share:

JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Missouri House panel that had been investigating former Gov. Eric Greitens reversed course Wednesday and dropped an attempt to get records related to a secretive nonprofit group that had supported him.

A judge had scheduled a Thursday hearing on whether to still continue enforcing a House subpoena for records from Greitens' campaign and a pro-Greitens group called A New Missouri in light of the former governors' resignation last Friday. But that hearing was canceled after an attorney for the House committee notified Cole County Circuit Judge Jon Beetem late Wednesday that it's withdrawing its request to enforce the subpoena.

The House panel had sought records related to any coordination between Greitens, his campaign and the nonprofit, as well as media advertising records from the nonprofit.

A New Missouri is a 501c4 social welfare organization that is not required by federal regulations to disclose donors. The group, which was formed by Greitens' aides, had supported the governor and his agenda — sometimes even running ads against his critics.

The House had indicated last week that it wanted to push forward with the subpoena for records, even after Greitens said he was quitting.

Greitens had been facing potential impeachment proceedings in the House when he announced his resignation.

His exit from office was part of a deal with a St. Louis prosecutor to drop a felony charge alleging he disclosed a donor list for The Mission Continues to his political fundraiser in 2015 without the permission of the St. Louis-based charity he founded. The text of that agreement had been released last week with two sections redacted from public view.

On Wednesday, St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner released an unredacted version in response to open-records requests and after receiving an opinion from Attorney General Josh Hawley's office that the full agreement could legally be released. The other previously redacted section simply stated that Greitens' stipulation about the evidence would be kept under seal unless he committed a new offense or made public comments contrary to the stipulation.

Greitens still faces the possibility of other charges. A special prosecutor has not yet decided whether to refile a previously dismissed invasion-of-privacy charge alleging Greitens took and transmitted a nonconsensual photo of a partially nude woman with whom he had an affair in 2015. That special prosecutor also has the discretion to bring other charges relating to that affair.

The former Republican governor has acknowledged the affair but has denied criminal wrongdoing and hasn't directly answered questions about whether he took the photo.

• Upvote 3

Scott, DUDE!, the Canadians are already considering building a wall, to......wait for it.......keep us out! 

I came over to share with y'all that our Texas governor, Greg Abbott, addressed the South Baptist Convention in Dallas today, and reminded the Baptists that religious freedom is under assault like never before and this is, By Gawd, first and foremost, a Christian nation. 

Meanwhile, we have a humanitarian crises at our southern border: children and parents are being separated.  And hypocrites, like Gov. Abbott (R-Catholic)  who go on and on about the importance of marriage, family and saving precious unborn life?  Crickets.  They do not care and I mean they really do. not. care.  White evangelicals could care less. 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 2

On 6/12/2018 at 9:20 PM, Howl said:

Scott, DUDE!, the Canadians are already considering building a wall, to......wait for it.......keep us out! 

I came over to share with y'all that our Texas governor, Greg Abbott, addressed the South Baptist Convention in Dallas today, and reminded the Baptists that religious freedom is under assault like never before and this is, By Gawd, first and foremost, a Christian nation. 

Meanwhile, we have a humanitarian crises at our southern border: children and parents are being separated.  And hypocrites, like Gov. Abbott (R-Catholic)  who go on and on about the importance of marriage, family and saving precious unborn life?  Crickets.  They do not care and I mean they really do. not. care.  White evangelicals could care less. 

Our local head reich to life person was lecturing people about morality this morning.  I posted a comment in response saying for her to fornicate off, that she should not presume to lecture others about morality.

Meanwhile Iowa's very own dumpster fire wants to write discrimination into the Iowa Constitution;

Iowa’s governor appeared to signal support for an amendment to the state’s constitution that would ban same-sex marriage this week.

During a news conference in Pella on Tuesday, Governor Kim Reynolds was asked about a proposed plank in the state Republican party’s platform calling for a repeal of any laws that allow marriage between same-sex couples.

The Iowa Supreme Court ruled same-sex marriage legal in the state back in 2009, but Reynolds says she’d prefer the issue be put to a vote.

• WTF 4

I am not a lawyer but this sounds like a legal, "no offense but you are one dumb bastard". 

• Upvote 8

Missouri Democrats are suing over the appointment of MIke Kehoe by Governor Parsons.  The two offices are elected separately in Missouri so they're questioning if the Governor should be allowed to appoint the office.  

http://www.komu.com/news/missouri-democrats-sue-over-lt-governor-appointment

JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The Missouri Democratic Party is suing to block the appointment of Mike Kehoe as lieutenant governor.

The suit, announced in a press release Tuesday, reopens a longstanding legal debate over whether the governor has the power to appoint someone to the second-ranking executive position. The two offices are elected separately in the state, and the constitution isn’t clear on succession.

The suit asks the Cole County Circuit Court to declare Parson’s action illegal.

Gov. Mike Parson appointed former Senate Majority Floor Leader Kehoe as the state’s lieutenant governor Monday. Kehoe took the oath of office soon after. Both men are Republicans.

The lieutenant governor’s office was vacated June 1, when Parson ascended to the top spot after former Gov. Eric Greitens resigned.

• Upvote 6

• 3 weeks later...

Here in Iowa former Governor Robert Ray died yesterday morning at the age of 89.

Robert Dolph Ray, a popular Iowa governor who served five consecutive terms from 1969 to 1983, died Sunday morning. He was 89.

A Republican, he was quiet, humble and thoughtful, yet confident in his deeply held beliefs with the courage to act, especially in the service of others.

Ray was noted for his empathy and for his defense of the individual. In 1972, he grounded all Iowa Air National Guard planes until the Pentagon paid damages to a pair of Iowa families whose homes had been destroyed by separate military jet plane crashes.

Three times in his governorship, Ray reached out to refugee populations of Southeast Asia displaced by the Vietnam War and other conflicts. Ray opened the Hawkeye State’s borders to Tai Dam refugees in 1974 and Vietnamese, Lao and Cambodian refugees in 1977.

Can you imagine any Branch Trumpvidian Governor (such as our current one) doing what Ray did?  Not just with the refugees but other things he did as well.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
Spoiler

Apparently, this guy is the Caligula endorsed candidate for Governer in Florida? He's a self titled Conservative Warrior for Justice or some shit like that.

This ad is just so bizarre. I thought it was satire. Please someone tell me it's satire. please. I'm begging.

Edited by AnywhereButHere
  • WTF 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So here is the deal. Maryland governor Larry Hogan is a Republican Governor in a blue state. He is a popular governor at that.

Mr. OneKid plans to vote for him  Hogan stays out of Washington politics and focuses on running my state. 

He has done some things I like. He supports birth control being covered by insurance. He came out against arming teachers. He pulled the Maryland National guard from the Mexican border. 

Husband said he will vote for what is good for Maryland over voting the party line.

I’m so blind with rage I’d vote for my cat if it meant voting against a republican. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

I’m so blind with rage I’d vote for my cat if it meant voting against a republican. 

Your cat would make a better politician than any republican.  Hell, my cat would make a better governor than the mind-numbingly stupid Kim Reynolds (Iowa governor, running for re-election)

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised he didn't blame Hillary too. "This GOP governor found someone to blame for the newspaper holding him accountable: George Soros"

Spoiler

ProPublica, a nonprofit journalism outlet, has won a Pulitzer Prize four times and been named a finalist nine times in its decade-long existence.

The outfit has become known for the type of research-heavy investigative projects that many news organizations have moved away from in recent years because of their immense time and cost: series looking at the United States' high maternal death rates, children confined in psychiatric hospitals, bouts of PTSD among police officers and firefighters, and, just this week, how the working poor are increasingly more likely to face IRS audits than the rich.

The nonprofit organization, which is funded by donors, does not complement these pieces with the type of catty, click-on-me journalism that so many are critical of the media for, nor does it publish opinion pieces. Instead it sticks to a mission to “expose abuses of power and betrayals of the public trust by government, business, and other institutions, using the moral force of investigative journalism to spur reform through the sustained spotlighting of wrongdoing.”

Perhaps that is why it makes some powerful people nervous.

On Wednesday, Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin, a Republican, laced into the news organization after it announced that it would be partnering with the Louisville Courier-Journal to fund a year-long investigative reporting project into a state government program. Bevin sought to discredit the partnership by smearing ProPublica’s funding, about 1 to 2 percent of which comes from George Soros’s Open Society Foundations.

With the fixation on Soros, a Holocaust survivor who is the frequent target of anti-Semitic and right-wing conspiracy theories, Bevin’s volley was the latest example of an effort by a political official to discredit a news media organization whose reporting doesn’t reflect their politics or shine flatteringly on them. And it echoed attacks made by autocratic leaders in countries such as Hungary, where the right-wing Prime Minister Viktor Orban has made Soros a frequent target of attacks.

ProPublica’s project with the Courier-Journal was one of 14 that the organization announced on Wednesday, including those with local reporters in places such as Anchorage; Providence, R.I.; Birmingham, Ala.; Charleston, S.C.; and Charleston, W.Va. The Washington Post is a ProPublica publishing partner.

But Bevin had his own ideas about the partnership, which he released in a tweet and a three-minute video on his Facebook page.

“The Courier-Journal, which pretends that it’s an actual news organization, is so remarkably biased that they are now full in bed with this particular organization, ProPublica,” Bevin said.

He also took aim at Herb and Marion Sandler, a wealthy New York couple whose philanthropy helped found the organization, accusing the Courier-Journal of being a “sock puppet” for ProPublica, George Soros, and others “who hate America.”

On Twitter he was more to the point.

“OUTRAGEOUS,” he wrote. “ProPublica, a left-wing activist group funded by the likes of George Soros, is now funding . . . ‘investigative reporting’ at the @courierjournal.”

ProPublica President Richard Tofel said that Bevin’s remarks were tinged with anti-Semitism.

“The phrase ‘the likes of George Soros’ is a classic anti-Semitic dog-whistle,” he said. “I just know what most people who pick George Soros out when he is a very small part of a story and focus on him — I know what that usually represents.”

Richard A. Green, the editor of the Courier-Journal, which is owned by the Gannett Company, said that the newspaper had won 10 Pulitzer prizes over the years.

"I appreciate Gov. Bevin sharing tonight the news of our partnership with ProPublica with Kentucky residents and taxpayers,” he said. “They certainly know that for 150 years, the Courier Journal has stood by its good work. We certainly intend to do the same in 2019 in our partnership with ProPublica.”

It was not entirely clear what set Bevin off. Some journalists pointed to recent stories the Courier-Journal reported about Bevin, including one disclosing that Bevin gave a $215,000 raise to an old Army buddy who had been hired as the state’s chief information officer. The total salary for the position: $375,000.

Bevin’s remarks come as journalists find themselves increasingly under threat around the world by hoaxers and autocratic leaders. In the United States, President Trump and his allies have made attacking the news media for unflattering stories a central part of their political entreaties. Most of that consternation has been focused on national organizations.

image.png.f1a0067d4f9f13fb9ecfe421a9e92fea.png

• Upvote 2

Once again, we have more lame duck misbehavior, coming from Michigan. Since the Governor signed the bill, gutting wage and sick time laws, I'm putting it here.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/michigan-governor-signs-measures-scale-back-initiatives-201317602.html

Gov. Rick Snyder on Friday signed laws to significantly scale back citizen-initiated measures to raise Michigan's minimum wage and require paid sick leave for workers, finalizing an unprecedented Republican-backed legislative maneuver that opponents blasted as shameful.

To prevent minimum wage and earned sick time initiatives from going to voters last month, GOP lawmakers approved them in September so they could be more easily altered after the election with simple majority votes rather than the three-fourths support that would have been needed if voters had passed the proposals.

The tactic — never done until now — was pushed by the business community as necessary to avoid jeopardizing the economy. But it was criticized as an unconstitutional attack on voters' will at a time Republicans in Michigan are trying to dilute the powers of incoming elected Democrats.

One law slows down a boost in Michigan's $9.25 minimum wage, so it will gradually rise to $12.05 by 2030 instead of $12 by 2022 as mandated by the citizen-proposed measure. It repeals an existing provision that ties future increases to inflation, and it reverses a provision that would have brought a lower wage for tipped employees in line with the wage for other workers.

The other new law exempts employers with fewer than 50 employees from having to provide paid sick days — a change that is estimated to leave up to 1 million employees without the benefit. It also limits the amount of annual mandatory leave at larger employers to 40 hours, instead of 72 hours as proposed by the initiative.

My goodness, do these Republicans remind me of a controlling, abusive partner, who tells their partner, "You only think you want this, but what you really wanted was that."

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

"Scott Walker Gets Mercilessly Mocked By Twitter Users Over Venn Diagram Fail"

I'm not going to copy here, since there are so many tweets and pictures, but it's worth a read. What an idiotic tool. I saw this in another twitter thread. It made me laugh, since the douchebag wouldn't understand a valid Venn Diagram if it bit him in the ass. Sadly, pretty much everyone in Dumpyland's picture could be replace Walker's and it would still be a valid diagram.

20181216_walker1.PNG

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • GreyhoundFan locked this topic