IGNORED

United States Governors

Cartmann99

A thread to talk about whatever your governor is doing in your state.

NC governor Roy Cooper is going to give teachers pay raises! He is also still trying to get rid of that damn bathroom bill that is so hated. 

• Upvote 8

I'm quite shocked that here in Indiana, our Republican governor is actually doing some good things. He's working with the state legislature to try to undo the damage that Mike Pence did. I'm pleasantly surprised. 

• Upvote 9

We've got Terry McAuliffe (D-VA). I wasn't so enthusiastic about him originally, except as a sane alternative to the nutjob Republicans that always seem to run for governor. But he's done some great things.

His term ends, and it looks like I'll be voting in November for Perriello or Northam. I don't know enough about either yet to conclusively make a decision on who I'm voting for in the primary. I don't like that the NRA has been pro-Perriello in the past (though he seems to be moving away from them now.) 

• Upvote 3

Here in Texas, Governor Abbott has instituted a hiring freeze on state employees. Various employers are trying to get clarification if the freeze actually applies to them, or asking for waivers to get around the freeze. People are confused and looking for answers, and the governor's office is slow to respond.

One effect of the hiring freeze is very personal to me. My husband usually teaches in the summer, but since he is on a nine month contract, the state of Texas technically has to hire him for the summer, so that's out. Unless they manage to work something out, it's looking like only the private colleges and universities will be able to offer summer classes this year.

Anyway, now the United States Justice Department is concerned that the freeze could endanger people with disabilities who live in state supported living centers:

Abbott, faced with a budget crisis, on Jan. 31 ordered a state agency hiring freeze through August to free up about $200 million for the current fiscal year. The directive applies only to agencies under Abbott's office and allows exemptions. The freeze does not apply to position with direct influence on public safety.

The Justice Department, in a Feb. 7 response, said Texas supported living centers, or SSLCs, already have serious problems with turnover. Failure to fill jobs would put the facilities "on course to rapidly reach crisis levels of understaffing," the letter said.

Now, the governor's office is trying to say that it's totally obvious to everyone that the freeze doesn't apply to SSLCs:

"The Justice Department's letter clearly misunderstands the governor's directive on the hiring freeze," Wittman said. "The directive exempts from the hiring freeze 'positions that have a direct impact on public safety.' Safety obviously includes the well-being of patients and those being treated by state supported living centers."

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/texas/story/2017/feb/19/justice-department-cites-hiring-freeze-concerns-disabled/662206/

The real kicker to this story is that Governor Abbot uses a wheelchair, so you'd think that the welfare of people with disabilities would be a high priority to him. Then again, he's a lawyer who lost the use of his legs in a freak accident, sued and received a large settlement due to the accident, and then worked to change the laws so that it would be more difficult for another accident victim to receive as large a settlement as Abbot did.

https://www.texastribune.org/2013/08/04/candidate-faces-questions-turnabout-and-fair-play/

Since reading this story earlier today, I've got this song stuck in my head:

• Upvote 2

Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley. Not enough space for me to articulate what's going on with the SOB. Go down the rabbit holes at al.com. Bring your own rescue ferrets.

• Upvote 7

Larry Hogan (R).  Not the first Republican Governor here in the "Free State" (hey don't blame me I didn't pick the nickname). Maryland is nice and blue in the middle and Mississippi at both ends.  The mountains and shore are icky red.  I think the main reason why Hogan won was because his rival ran such a weak campaign. It felt like he gave up before the campaign even began.  Anyway Hogan. He seems to be moderate enough.  I was glad when he refused to endorse orange shit stain.  He didn't go to the convention and wrote in his own father's name instead for voting for agent orange.  I'm waiting to see how the fracking ban goes, and what happens to bail and prison reform. I'm highly pissed and disappointed he  has not come out specificity against you know who. Hell the fucking Koch brothers spoke out against the Muslim ban.  Hogan?  Crickets.

He did make birth control available under insurance and seems to be pro Planned Parenthood.  He is not going to take away marriage equity.  So really the guy is a mixed bag 

Oh not that this has anything to do with Hogan, but my darling state has had Agnew. Spiro T. Agnew Nixon's disgraced VP and Marvin Mandell who ended up in jail.  Also William Schaefer who was your common thug. Ya us!

• Upvote 3

Washington State - Jay Inslee (D)

Jay Inslee for President?!?  Who knows, but the above article discusses how he is currently riding high on State Attorney General Bob Ferguson's* stay of the immigration ban and this may be an idea whose time has come.  My husband wondered if Inslee was presidential material, but my comeback was, compared to Trump, he's a frickin' god!

*Ferguson had help, but I'm too lazy to Google their names.

I live in a mythical land called Florida, which is lorded over by the evil Gov Scott, love child of Voldemort and Bat Boy.  You know the place.  Surrounded by water, but isn't allowed to talk about climate change, and has tons of old fucks from up north who like to throw elections to horrible, evil GOPers who want to destroy the country (see: Shrub and Cheeto)

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

I live in a mythical land called Florida, which is lorded over by the evil Gov Scott, love child of Voldemort and Bat Boy.  You know the place.  Surrounded by water, but isn't allowed to talk about climate change, and has tons of old fucks from up north who like to throw elections to horrible, evil GOPers who want to destroy the country (see: Shrub and Cheeto)

A few years ago, my company shifted me to a different business unit, which is based in Orlando and Dallas. My Director tried to get me to agree to move to either location. I was like, NOPE. He told me they'd make it worth my while. He didn't understand that there was no way they would pay me enough. I don't mind visiting (in the winter), but I don't want to live there.

• Upvote 4

I've lived here pretty much my entire life.  I've flirted with the idea of leaving off and on over the years to be around people who share my political views a bit more ( you know... sane people).  But I feel like saying and fighting is worth it too.  Because my vote is more worthwhile here, even if living here raises my blood pressure on a regular basis.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley. Not enough space for me to articulate what's going on with the SOB. Go down the rabbit holes at al.com. Bring your own rescue ferrets.

I remember hearing about how he and his wife were getting a divorce, and he tried to cover up the affair he was having with a much younger woman.

Family values and all that jazz. :pb_lol:

29 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

You said the forbidden phrase! Is Rick Scott going to make a mean TV commercial about you like he did about that woman who yelled at him in a coffee shop?

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

I remember hearing about how he and his wife were getting a divorce, and he tried to cover up the affair he was having with a much younger woman.

Family values and all that jazz. :pb_lol:

You said the forbidden phrase! Is Rick Scott going to make a mean TV commercial about you like he did about that woman who yelled at him in a coffee shop?

Lol!  Good!!  I've got a loud mouth, and I'm not afraid to use it.  Bring it bitch!!

• Upvote 5

Not my state, but Mark Sanford.  The "I was hiking the Appalachian Trail" guy.  The good folks of South Carolina must have short memories, because he is now in Congress.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

Not my state, but Mark Sanford.  The "I was hiking the Appalachian Trail" guy.  The good folks of South Carolina must have short memories, because he is now in Congress.  

Voters in the South love a good redemption story. Sanford knows how to cry and talk convincingly about Jesus, it was just a matter of time.

• Upvote 3

Iowa has the dynamic Koch puppet duo of Terry Branstad and Kim Reynolds.  Together with a Republican-controlled General Legislature, they are destroying the state.  Thankfully Terrible Braindead leaves for China whenever vetted for diplomat, but we are still stuck with Kimmy.

• Upvote 2

I"m so glad we have a good governor right now. He is fighting the republican's attempt to keep our terrible and racist voter laws. 

North Carolina’s new Democratic governor and attorney general say they’re ending state efforts to persuade the U.S. Supreme Court to revive a GOP-backed voter ID law that was struck down by a lower court, but Republican lawmakers say they will continue pushing for the high court’s review. 

Gov. Roy Cooper and Attorney General Josh Stein said Tuesday they’re withdrawing from the state’s petition for a high court review. The Supreme Court next must decide if it will take up the case anyway. 

The July opinion by the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals determined tougher ballot access rules adopted in 2013 were written with “almost surgical precision” to discourage black voters who tended to support Democrats.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-carolina-governor-roy-cooper-ag-josh-stein-want-supreme-court-to-drop-voting-law-review/

• Upvote 5

So newly elected Missouri Governor Eric Grietens (R) is at it with potentially shady financial shenanigans involving donors (again).  His inauguration has caused some issues and rumbling because it too was financed by donors and some think perhaps we should be making these fine public servants disclose this stuff.  Not holding my breath on that because both houses in Jefferson City are controlled by the GOP.  

(note the article thinks this is just a spiffy thing)

http://www.komu.com/news/missouri-governor-shuns-state-plane-flies-at-private-costs

Missouri governor shuns state plane, flies at private costs

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 10:26:10 AM CST in News

By: The Associated Press

Share:

JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens is shunning the state plane and instead relying on private donors and campaign funds to pay for his flights.

Since taking office in January, the Republican governor has not flown on a state airplane. That's a significant departure from his Democratic predecessor, Jay Nixon, who frequently used state airplanes.

Greitens' Chief of Staff Michael Roche says the governor is committed to spending as little of the taxpayers' money as possible on travel.

Greitens' senior adviser Austin Chambers says campaign funds were used to pay for a recent commercial airplane flight to Washington. He says a private plane was used when Greitens flew to southern Missouri for ceremonial signings of a right-to-work law prohibiting mandatory union fees.

Chambers says Greitens has traveled on roads to other events

• Upvote 2

Terry-ble Braindead is at it again.  On Friday at 4:00 PM, The governor's office announced that 11.5 million will be cut from higher education and human services departments.  I so hope the fetus saving voters of Iowa are happy.  They are saving babies that will not have access to healthcare, a good education, or protective agencies should they be in an abusive  situation.   

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

Terry-ble Braindead is at it again.  On Friday at 4:00 PM, The governor's office announced that 11.5 million will be cut from higher education and human services departments.  I so hope the fetus saving voters of Iowa are happy.  They are saving babies that will not have access to healthcare, a good education, or protective agencies should they be in an abusive  situation.   

I don't understand.  It's not as if places like Kansas and Iowa are big draws for young people.  They definitely won't move there if the place is a hell hole without good healthcare or good schools for their kids.  And if young people won't come, then businesses are unlikely to invest in the area because the can't get the skilled labor they need.  Do these people want their states to die?

• Upvote 8

24 minutes ago, Childless said:

I don't understand.  It's not as if places like Kansas and Iowa are big draws for young people.  They definitely won't move there if the place is a hell hole without good healthcare or good schools for their kids.  And if young people won't come, then businesses are unlikely to invest in the area because the can't get the skilled labor they need.  Do these people want their states to die?

My cousin used to teach at a university in Kansas. According to her yes it is a hell hole. Her university was a tiny pocket of sanity, but not big enough for her to stay.  As for Iowa, I can see some people wanting to live there.  Quiet life, small town a chance to get away from the claustrophobic rat race.

My husband wants to relocate when kid is done with school.  He talks about out west.  Boulder area in particular.  He spent part of his childhood there.  That I could do.  Boulder is is nice and granola  crunch blue. Other parts of the state, not so much. God Guns and Gays.  I think it is very ironic that a tiny southern Colorado town called Trinidad used to be known as the mecca for sex change surgery. 

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

My cousin used to teach at a university in Kansas. According to her yes it is a hell hole. Her university was a tiny pocket of sanity, but not big enough for her to stay.  As for Iowa, I can see some people wanting to live there.  Quiet life, small town a chance to get away from the claustrophobic rat race.

My husband wants to relocate when kid is done with school.  He talks about out west.  Boulder area in particular.  He spent part of his childhood there.  That I could do.  Boulder is is nice and granola  crunch blue. Other parts of the state, not so much. God Guns and Gays.  I think it is very ironic that a tiny southern Colorado town called Trinidad used to be known as the mecca for sex change surgery. 

I'm in the craptastic state of Indiana.  We're planning on relocating to Southern California as soon as we can. 

• Upvote 6

Just now, Childless said:

I'm in the craptastic state of Indiana.  We're planning on relocating to Southern California as soon as we can. 

My condolences, and good luck on getting the fuck out of there.

• Upvote 3

Terry-ble Braindead has given an explanation for removing the need for licensing social workers, family therapists, respiratory therapists, SLPs,  audiologists and other professions.  Licensure requirements have pesky regulations for business owners,  So removing the need for licensure will create jobs.  He has either lost his mind, soul, and all shreds of common sense or this is part of a plan to gut healthcare services.   Insurance will only reimburse for services provided by licensed providers.  Now I sound like a bsc conspiracy theorist.   My hatred for this POS is on par with Voldorange.

Edited by PsyD2013
can't spell when I'm rage-y
  • Upvote 6

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic