IGNORED

Dillards 26 - Grifting All The Way!

choralcrusader8613

Previous thread here:

While Derick and Jill are awaiting the arrival of their second son, they haven't lost any time in picking their grifting ways missionary work back up. They want 24,000 dollars (yes, you read that right, and that's as many zeros as you're thinking) for a four-month trip to Central America. What are they actually using it for besides their own needs? Who knows? Let's stay tuned to find out!

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to think Derick's motivation this whole time was this white savior martyr fantasy, and marrying Jill was just a way to "legitamize" himself as a family man, and to gain some public attention so he could go galavant off to where ever the Helmand he doesn't really give a shit about his wife's health and safety, or needs or wants, because she's basically a prop in his mission wank. And children help legitmize his marriage. It makes more sense in hindsight how quick their courtship appeared. He just needed his wife asap, and his wife's funds, and his wife's cameras, because he realized his school and Nepal praycation were ending and he wanted to keep fucking about for jesus. When the scandal it became a sort of opportune time because Jill was probably easy to convince to go. That's the sense I'm getting, they seem so checked out from each other. Who drops everything AGAIN to drag their pregnant miserable wife somewhere she doesn't want to be to hand out Jesus papers to people who don't even know what you're saying and are already pretty much committed to jesus. I predict a rough time for these two. 

I am genuinely worried about this decision for Jill and her unborn child. There are so, so many complications that are relatively easy to prevent or treat she is simply not going to have access to in Central America. Imagine if she went into labour prematurely before they could fly back for the birth.

These people value every life from conception, but they're willing to gamble that nothing will go wrong because 'God will protect them'. It that baby dies or suffers any complications from the birth, or heaven forbid Jill dies, how could they possibly live with the burden?  Jill has already had one difficult birth, as has her sister. And her mother also has had multiple births with complications. 

It's horrible to say, but a Duggar daughter or wife is going to suffer the loss of their child, their life, or both one day, because if these idiotic behaviours. How many women in developing nations would love to have medical care and safe birth options? How many of those mothers would still have their children? And how many mothers would not have to die because of medical intervention these people are talking for granted?

Jill and that baby are not some sort of Martyrs to be thrown down and die for their cause. Nor are her sisters, or future sisters-in-law or their children. They are humans with so many rights denied to them for no good reason, and it is disgraceful. 

Just because Israel was late, doesn't mean that this baby will be. So what if she goes into labour early and needs a c-section with another huge baby? I know that these people are as stund as a bag of hammers but seriously? I also know that Jesus will make everything better but seriously? It's like that joke where the plane is going down, there's a parachute and the man so "No Jesus will keep me safe or provide." The man dies and goes to heaven, questions Jesus and Jesus says "I gave you a parachute!" :angry-banghead:

I know people trust in God. Heck, I do. But going to a Zika filled country, coming home from it, getting pregnant and going back to it, after having a dangerous birth the first time, and talking about the violence...there isn't a run on sentence long enough to cover the poop storm that is their existence. 

Derrick has lost half his body weight. He looks ill. His wife has something wrong with her artery. But, hey, let's go mission! 

Can we all call this the fraud that it is? How is this not illegal? She will sit in her nice home in her guarded community and they will collect $$$$$ and then come home. She won't last 2 months. It's all about getting money. 

These Jenks have a TV show and have lived in TWO mansions for FREE. but they need someone else's money to do this?? It's such a scam!!!! 

I can't even. Poor Izzy. He's stuck with those two. 

9 minutes ago, amers said:

I know people trust in God. Heck, I do. But going to a Zika filled country, coming home from it, getting pregnant and going back to it, after having a dangerous birth the first time, and talking about the violence...there isn't a run on sentence long enough to cover the poop storm that is their existence. 

Derrick has lost half his body weight. He looks ill. His wife has something wrong with her artery. But, hey, let's go mission! 

Can we all call this the fraud that it is? How is this not illegal? She will sit in her nice home in her guarded community and they will collect $$$$$ and then come home. She won't last 2 months. It's all about getting money. 

These Jenks have a TV show and have lived in TWO mansions for FREE. but they need someone else's money to do this?? It's such a scam!!!! 

I can't even. Poor Izzy. He's stuck with those two. 

See I look at it as this: god also created people smart enough to create antibiotics and nice enough to distribute them to the poor. 

M

2 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I am genuinely worried about this decision for Jill and her unborn child. There are so, so many complications that are relatively easy to prevent or treat she is simply not going to have access to in Central America. Imagine if she went into labour prematurely before they could fly back for the birth.

These people value every life from conception, but they're willing to gamble that nothing will go wrong because 'God will protect them'. It that baby dies or suffers any complications from the birth, or heaven forbid Jill dies, how could they possibly live with the burden?  Jill has already had one difficult birth, as has her sister. And her mother also has had multiple births with complications. 

It's horrible to say, but a Duggar daughter or wife is going to suffer the loss of their child, their life, or both one day, because if these idiotic behaviours. How many women in developing nations would love to have medical care and safe birth options? How many of those mothers would still have their children? And how many mothers would not have to die because of medical intervention these people are talking for granted?

Jill and that baby are not some sort of Martyrs to be thrown down and die for their cause. Nor are her sisters, or future sisters-in-law or their children. They are humans with so many rights denied to them for no good reason, and it is disgraceful. 

My thoughts turned to hundreds if not thousands of pregnant women in refugee camps.

And then thoughts turned to: there's a good chance these two will indeed raise the $24K for their praycation (bowing toward @habert).

And finally, Lord, take me soon, if this is what the world's turned into.

But then: the world turned into this long ago. It's just the unmitigated brass of Jim Bob Duggar and his help-crony Michelle and the cravenness of TLC that has brought its visible putridness to the light of the old tv. 

3 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

M

My thoughts turned to hundreds if not thousands of pregnant women in refugee camps.

And then thoughts turned to: there's a good chance these two will indeed raise the $24K for their praycation (bowing toward @habert).

And finally, Lord, take me soon, if this is what the world's turned into.

But then: the world turned into this long ago. It's just the unmitigated brass of Jim Bob Duggar and his help-crony Michelle and the cravenness of TLC that has brought its visible putridness to the light of the old tv. 

and apparently in those refugee camps the women keep getting pregnant - who knows if by choice or whatever.  But the point is they don't / can't stop 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I also know that Jesus will make everything better but seriously? It's like that joke where the plane is going down, there's a parachute and the man so "No Jesus will keep me safe or provide." The man dies and goes to heaven, questions Jesus and Jesus says "I gave you a parachute!" :angry-banghead:

Just what I thought... "Jesus" will make everything better - if that's the name of the doctor delivering baby in an emergency c-section.

Otherwise heavenly Jesus (or g'd) provided them by mysterious ways that ended up in contemporary natalcare and medicine - and for them to deliver the baby in a hospital in a clean environment in a first world country.

Funde logic is the best logic. 

I just thought of all of this as "Fundie Insanity". I agree with all the above. I really don't want to hear tragic news for these women and their unborn children that could have been prevented. 

I don't know about you guys, but I have a bad feeling about this. I wouldn't wish a traumatic pregnancy/birth on anyone, even Jill. No one deserves that. But with the situation playing out like it is, it's making me awfully nervous. I'm not claiming I'm psychic or anything. I just can't shake the feeling that something is wrong, or something will go wrong, based on their actions and the whole situation. I hope I'm wrong :pb_confused:

8 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

I don't know about you guys, but I have a bad feeling about this. I wouldn't wish a traumatic pregnancy/birth on anyone, even Jill. No one deserves that. But with the situation playing out like it is, it's making me awfully nervous. I'm not claiming I'm psychic or anything. I just can't shake the feeling that something is wrong, or something will go wrong, based on their actions and the whole situation. I hope I'm wrong :pb_confused:

Yes, also I most sincerely hope you are wrong. Sigh. 

5 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

I got my bad feeling in the weeks/months following Jill's pregnancy announcement. She's not nearly as excited as she was with Israel, and it doesn't seem like it's because she's humbled or because it's not the first pregnancy. That's not like her, she'd at least try and fake enthusiasm. Either she's nervous about having to potentially go through another traumatic birth, or something might already be wrong with either of them. Add a return to Central America into the mix and it's an impending disaster.

Once a week we go into villages hit hard by violence, and provide various skills training for adults, Bible study, kids programs, and crafts. On average we help over 40 adults and children every week. 

What skills training do they provide for adults that doesn't require mastery of the local language?  Does Jill pantomine her preparation of rice?  Does Derick read the villagers an English to Spanish bible translation so that they both know what he's saying?  And what group of people, just hit by violence, would be willing to put up with this...unless there were "goodies" handed out at the end?

I have no doubt that they visit these places well after the violence has been confirmed to have moved on.  Jill's pregnancy, assuming she goes out at all, would be an extra reason/excuse for them to stay away from any naughty situations.

Their recent activities - the gender reveal and sudden trip to SCA - don't seem well-prepared for.  I agree with the posters above who sense that something might be wrong.

When I heard that they were begging again, and for such a high, and specific amount of money, the first thing that came to mind was "How much does it cost for a Caesarian section? "

Cynical moi?

Whether Jill plans on a HBAC (v likely) or a VBAC in medical surroundings, there must be some part of her's or Dereck's brain that suspects a CS may be required again, and they cost money.

I think the fact that Jessa's 2nd birth seemed to go off without a hitch will drive Jill even more to have a VBAC. Logic be damned, things have to go perfect this time.

Why don't they just want until she has he baby and then go? Why do they have to rush over there now? They might be able to grift more the longer they wait.

Maybe I'm seeing things from my experience but when I'm depressed everything is messy. My hair, my clothes, I'm lucky if my socks match when I leave out the door. I see it in Jill. When I'm happier, I brush my hair, make an effort with my appearance. Just stuff like that. Jill just seems sad. Maybe I'm projecting but she doesn't look like a happy 24 year old should look like. She's married with a baby. Most people don't look just sad. Her smile doesn't reach her eyes. I don't think she's even had time to get accustomed to not having 100 people around all the time. She's clingy and insecure. She should be enjoying life.

2 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Maybe I'm seeing things from my experience but when I'm depressed everything is messy. My hair, my clothes, I'm lucky if my socks match when I leave out the door. I see it in Jill. When I'm happier, I brush my hair, make an effort with my appearance. Just stuff like that. Jill just seems sad. Maybe I'm projecting but she doesn't look like a happy 24 year old should look like. She's married with a baby. Most people don't look just sad. Her smile doesn't reach her eyes. I don't think she's even had time to get accustomed to not having 100 people around all the time. She's clingy and insecure. She should be enjoying life.

I don't think you're projecting. Jill looks seriously worn down. While I don't want to diagnose her with anything I do wish she were able to talk to someone. Even if she were just to vent. I don't think her pride would let her though, even if a minimal amount of help was available.

Wow, Dillards. Okay, diving into this...

After returning home for a short period, we are excited to announce that we are now returning to Central America!

I'm confused by the timing of this. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have funding sources in place before you head abroad? I know, I know, they trust in God - but even in terms of pure logistics, it seems easier to have all their ducks in a row before they go. They've been back in the United States for months and could have done this a long time ago. Why is it now specifically that they want money?

We are excited to be back to the work our hearts love so much. From the early stages of our lives, the Lord has put a deep love and care in both of our hearts for all peoples of the world that they would come to repentance and put their hope in the Lord, Jesus Christ.

Really? I'm still not clear on what exactly it is they do, and the fact that they treated Nepal and El Salvador as basically interchangeable even though they're halfway across the world from each other and have totally different cultures doesn't really convince me that they have a deep love for X Country, 

Through our ministry and your support, we can help support local churches, and impact hundreds of lives on a daily basis. Once a week we go into villages hit hard by violence, and provide various skills training for adults, Bible study, kids programs, and crafts. On average we help over 40 adults and children every week.

Hundreds of lives on a daily basis? Exaggerating doesn't help their case. Also the math doesn't work - hundreds of lives a day but forty per week?

I still have no clue what the Dillards do.

This description hardly seems impressive. What "skills" do the Dillards actually have, particularly ones that are applicable to life in a country very different from their own? What are they going to be able to teach the locals about life in El Salvador that the locals don't already know?

And how much exactly is anybody going to learn if they're being taught only once a week, with that time being divided between multiple completely unrelated programs? I mean, imagine any of us trying to learn our own jobs that way? 

We hope you'll consider partnering with us in this mission. In addition to the ministry outreach expenses, there are always monthly expenses for groceries, utilities, fuel, healthcare, etc.

We have always purposed to live a frugal lifestyle and continue to do so in the mission field. When you give a donation to our ministry, you are helping our family cover living expenses to be able to remain on the field and helping reach so many precious lives.

I call complete bullshit on that. Their fancy apartment in El Salvador with multiple bathrooms and stainless steel appliances is hardly frugal. They live a more extravagant lifestyle than I do. I'm a mental health provider in a low-income rural area in the US, and by local standards I'm middle class. I can't even imagine how the Dillards are seen in a developing nation. I'm guessing they aren't seen as in any way frugal.

Not to mention they could save hundreds of dollars on airfare by simply not going back till after Jill gives birth - how much could even real missionaries accomplish in such a short time, let alone pretend missionaries like them? If they just skipped the back and forth and stayed in the US till they were ready to be in El Salvador for a reasonable length of time, they wouldn't need as much money.

For example, if only 600 families were willing to donate a one-time gift of $40, it would completely cover our remaining ministry expenses for this term.

A monthly pledge of $1 a day can help cover the cost of meals we serve to children every week.

Okay, let's take a step back here. They're asking for money from "families." They are a family with two able-bodied adults. Why would they expect other families to just give them donations? Why have they designated themselves as recipients rather than thinking of ways they can help? Jill is imitating her parents, but Derick didn't grow up that way.

We invite you to partner with us in this next chapter of our lives, as we return to the field. Your continued prayer and support means so much to both of us! 

It has been wonderful seeing all of our friends and family members while we have been back in the states. But after much prayer and consideration, we know the Lord is calling us back to share his message with those in Central America. However, we will return back to the states for a short while to have this sweet new baby!

Clearly they're deeply committed. 

Can they really not see what a silly waste of money this is all is?

Their supporters are not only paying to fly them back and forth repeatedly, but Jill has made clear she has no intention of doing any work outside the home while her children are small - which would be fine and her choice, except the Dillards are expecting their supporters to foot the bill for four people's living expenses to get one (and that's being optimistic) full-time worker. 

That's such a terrible waste of money that could be used to actually help people instead. But the Dillards can't acknowledge that maybe this isn't the best time in their lives for their missionary dreams, because they want what they want and they want it now. 

We want to thank all of our fans and supporters who make this work possible!

If you would like to make a donation towards our ministry, please click the link below.

I still have no real idea what "this work" is, or what they do the other six days a week...

1 hour ago, MargaretElliott said:

Part of me believes that TLC will make sure they don't do anything truly stupid and that's also why the girls first labors didn't end tragically. Helps to have a team of lawyers/pr people watching your decisions. I remember how quickly they were able to get an ambulance out to Jills place and have it on hand. 

Where is this supposed "deep love and care in both of our hearts for all peoples of the world" the Dullards supposedly have? They can't be bothered to learn the local language or culture, live in a walled off compound away from the people they're supposed to be helping, and don't interact with El Salvadorans on a personal level (presumably because of the language barrier, but probably also because they're brown, Catholic, and like dancing and front-hugging). Replace "deep love and care" with "deep-seated condescension and loathing" and you might be closer to reality.

No, I agree, something seems off about both of them. Derick has seemed frustrated and Jill has seemed sad and afraid for the past few months, maybe even the past year or so. I can speculate as to why that is, but based on some of the things they've said, I do think things have happened (or are happening) in their life that they're not choosing to share with the public. Jessa and Ben have their own issues, but they seem happy and content. Derick and Jill honestly remind me of Josh in the year or so before the scandals broke, trying to put on a happy fundie face but there's a whole lot of darkness swirling just beneath the surface.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived