IGNORED

"KILLING THE MINDS OF MALE BABIES" - Pastor is unhappy about American Girl adding a boy doll

Rachel333

I hate to break it to this guy, but little boys who are interested in playing with dolls don't sit around waiting for certain doll manufacturers to create boy dolls. They just play with the girl dolls. Obviously he's never been near a preschool or watched any young children play, like, ever.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/15/2017 at 8:23 PM, Rachel333 said:

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so I'm sure all of these things have already been said. But 1. little girls might like to play with a boy doll, too. Barbie and Ken, anyone? 2. Are men not fathers? Do men not have children? Since when is fatherhood emasculating? 3. Fuck off, bozo.

That's all I have to say about this. 

Do they mean the first 'canon' American Girl doll? Cause I remember Bitty Baby having twins you could buy and one was a boy.

image.jpeg

Screw him! I remember my brother had a My Buddy doll over 30 years ago. My 6 year old son desperately wanted an American Boy doll for Christmas (he loves to play dolls with my daughter), so I managed to give one at Walmart. He's thrilled with it. 

On 2/16/2017 at 4:48 PM, backyard sylph said:

My youngest son, who is now 18, asked for a baby doll when he was about six. We got him one that came with a little car seat, and he named it Thomasthebaby. Thomasthebaby was an office man, a super hero, a film maker, and more. A few months later I found an identical one on Ebay, and so Earl came to live with Thomasthebaby. Earl had problems; he was sort of the comic relief man. But they were friends. Thomas, who referred to himself as "Thob," because he had some sort of sinus condition, had birthdays, played baseball, and went on all kinds of adventures. He is missing a hand now, and resides at the top of my closet waiting for the day when my son wants him back for a kid of his own. Well, and Earl, of course.

benindisbelief.jpg

omg, that's the EXACT baby my oldest son had when he was itty bitty. He got his baby when he was a toddler and I was pregnant with his brother, though. My SIL wanted him to have his own baby to take care of, and he LOVED that baby for years, carried him around with him everywhere. Then he discovered one of my old Cabbage Patch Kids (a boy, of course) and proceeded to claim him for his own, too. He then had TWO babies.

He's 14 now and came across the baby (named Bubba) a few months ago and was delighted. Not coincidentally, I don't think, my son also loves babies and toddlers today and is great with them.

13 minutes ago, polecat said:

omg, that's the EXACT baby my oldest son had when he was itty bitty. He got his baby when he was a toddler and I was pregnant with his brother, though. My SIL wanted him to have his own baby to take care of, and he LOVED that baby for years, carried him around with him everywhere. Then he discovered one of my old Cabbage Patch Kids (a boy, of course) and proceeded to claim him for his own, too. He then had TWO babies.

He's 14 now and came across the baby (named Bubba) a few months ago and was delighted. Not coincidentally, I don't think, my son also loves babies and toddlers today and is great with them.

I think it's a great idea for a new older sibling, and also an important development component; learning to care for someone other than yourself. We can all afford to learn how to be nurturing.

I had a boy AG baby doll when I was a kid.  My brother had a boy cabbage patch kid named Gilbert. My biker dad didn't see a problem with it in the 80's. What's the big deal now? Oh, something to make his name known perhaps? Or, more likely, he's just a closed minded asshole.

OK don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a boy American Girl doll, but THE NAME of this doll.... "Logan Everett"?  That's the most "Mall of America, Wisconsin" name I think I've ever heard.  

26 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

OK don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a boy American Girl doll, but THE NAME of this doll.... "Logan Everett"?  That's the most "Mall of America, Wisconsin" name I think I've ever heard.  

Makes me think of all those chisel-jawed, 5 o'clock-shadowed, plaid-shirt wearing, manly men on the covers of romance novels of the 90s. :pb_lol:

10 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Hey! My grandson's name is Everett! This means WAR!  

On 2/16/2017 at 9:29 PM, AuLait said:

Guess he'd freak out at the picture of my 4 year old son breastfeeding a boy doll.

Most my FB friends are varying degrees of conservative Christian but not a peep on my FB feed!

I could add to the freak out...my child has never tried to nurse her dolls, but did try to nurse her stuffed puppy.  There's a picture somewhere :)

My GrandBoy plays baby dolls with his cousins and also has been waiting, not patiently, to be allowed to play with Uncle Kiddo's leftover Bratz dolls (some are boys). Guess what! Doll clothes manipulation is great for small moter skills development!  Also, Asshat Pastor, you know who plays with the army toys and trucks in our family? ! Wild Child, a girl! She packs up her babies, her play sword an d nerf rifle and tells us "bye, I'm hunting zombies now!" 

6 hours ago, Hane said:

Hey! My grandson's name is Everett! This means WAR!  

Logan Everett is my oldest nephew's name.  Obviously, I think it's nice.  

I cherish the memory of One, in his high chair, tenderly "feeding" his Ernie and Bert dolls. Later, when the neighbor girl wanted a Teacher Barbie, he , too, asked for a Teacher Barbie, and got one. He's now a rock climbing, beer drinking, Ninja Warrior watching grad student... pretty sure he's going to be a successful man in his life.

I'm not bothered in the least by the boy AG doll, but I got a look at the new AG "Korean" doll this evening.  You'd hope that AG would spring for a separate mold for the doll's head to make it look East Asian, but no, they used eyeliner on the doll to make it's eyes look slanted.  It doesn't work any better than makeup worked on Katharine Hepburn in Dragon Seed or Luise Rainer in The Good Earth.  If AG would actually make a doll that looked like an East Asian little girl, they might find that there is a big market for it.

On 2/18/2017 at 2:32 PM, dawbs said:

I could add to the freak out...my child has never tried to nurse her dolls, but did try to nurse her stuffed puppy.  There's a picture somewhere :)

On a forum I used to visit, a mom mentioned her two-year-old boy nursing his toy Dalek!

• 1 year later...
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:29 PM, AuLait said:

Guess he'd freak out at the picture of my 4 year old son breastfeeding a boy doll.

My son breastfed his boy doll too. Now my 2 year old grandson has a baby doll (of so far undetermined sex) and breastfeeds it. He sleeps with it, carries it around everywhere, kisses it. shows it off and introduces it to people-he loves it. My son-in-law is fine with him having the doll. In fact, he suggested buying one for his son because he seemed to like real babies so much. It was a good call as my grandson still loves babies and his own baby doll. He is very sweet with his baby. and I think it is adorable.

I just don't get why a boy with a doll would freak out anyone. If dolls caused boys to become gay we would have a MUCH larger gay population. Does playing with trucks also cause girls to become lesbians? Perhaps all of my children are gay due to playing with the wrong types of toys and haven't realized it yet?

• 3 weeks later...

My cousin and his ex girlfriend had 6 kids in 8 years, his sons always played with dolls and pushchairs because they were used to seeing daddy pushing a pram and taking care of babies. My papa was a bit annoyed first time he saw them play with dolls but my aunt explained they were just copying their dad. I had the boy tiny tears doll and loved it, so male dolls are not new. 

I don't care if I have a son who wants to play dolls the same way my daughter can play with cars and action figures.

Archived