IGNORED

Seewalds 18 - Spurgy and Henry

choralcrusader8613

8 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

One I never understood was the nickname Jack for the name John.

It's from the French Jacques, dating back to the post-Conquest time when a lot of French was spoken in England.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Henry is a pretty decent name. Wilburforce well, that's just awful, really really awful. I'm finding myself thinking that Wilburforce, is even worse than Spurgeon (lord help me).

3 hours ago, Phoenix said:

I figure if Catherine and William do have a second boy Edward will not be in the running despite it's long English royal history because of the behavior of David, William's great-great Uncle who abdicated over Wallis Simpson in 1936. 

Do you think it occurred to Jessa and Ben they named their new baby boy after one of the best known philanderers in English history? Nike!

I don't think they would use it either. If they had another boy Louis would be a nice choice, or even Philip. Girls- Alexandra or Frances. 

I do hope they have another, I love the name threads!

15 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Elliott and Henry would have been such a nice sibset! Poor Spurgey.

When Spurgey gets older, he very well could go by his middle name only. Lots of people do that. :: shrugs ::

26 minutes ago, SnazzyNazzy said:

Henry is a pretty decent name. Wilburforce well, that's just awful, really really awful. I'm finding myself thinking that Wilburforce, is even worse than Spurgeon (lord help me).

I'm okay with Spurgeon. They could transition from Spurgeon to calling him Spurgeon Elliot and then transition to just Elliott. I can't get over Wilberforce, though. I thought it was the funniest unlikeliest name in the entire universe and only in FJ land it would come up that often, the perks of snark or so. Jessa and Bin must have waited on FJ for ideas on what name to give to their second sprog. Everytime I read Wilberforce I wanted to snort Coke through my nose, it was that hilarious. It made me think of a little pig with steam coming from his nose because he's so angry. OMG then they name their kid that. FJ wining the internetz in 2017

angry-pig-1.jpg

That's the image in my head when I think "Wilburrrrforce"

3 hours ago, Phoenix said:

I figure if Catherine and William do have a second boy Edward will not be in the running despite it's long English royal history because of the behavior of David, William's great-great Uncle who abdicated over Wallis Simpson in 1936. 

Do you think it occurred to Jessa and Ben they named their new baby boy after one of the best known philanderers in English history? Nike!

A second son will be Albert, mark my words. Although I hope all of them have daughters, love me some Princesses!!

15 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

My mother-in-law was given a pretty flower name which is now becoming fashionable again, also a very feminine middle name. Her poor younger sister was given a terrible old lady name (this was back in the 1920s), it was old fashioned even then.  The poor sister was also given a masculine middle name which can also be a surname. To this day the family think that Great- Grandma must have had a knock on the head!! The younger sister was always known by a nickname which was far nicer than her given name.

Problem is, my first name is way too short for nicknames and it's derived from another much prettier name so I never got a nickname, and my middle it's another old lady name I don't like so there's that. Right now I'm much more comfortable with my first name. I'm avoiding that fuckery and giving my future kids classic names, I named my niece Camilla which I think is quite pretty and timeless, she has Cammie as a nickname.

Just gonna leave this here.

IMG_7964.PNG

I'm legit dying of laughter imaging what their reactions would be to this comment.  :laughing-rolling:

24 minutes ago, Keyleigh said:

I don't think they would use it either. If they had another boy Louis would be a nice choice, or even Philip. Girls- Alexandra or Frances. 

I do hope they have another, I love the name threads!

George's full name is George Alexander Louis - George for the Queen's father, Alexander for the Queen (middle name Alexandra), and Louis for Lord Mountbatten (uncle to Prince Philip and mentor to Prince Charles who was killed by the IRA.)

Charlotte's full name is Charlotte Elizabeth Diana - Charlotte for Prince Charles and Pippa (middle name Charlotte), Elizabeth for the Queen and Catherine (it's her middle name), and Diana for obvious reasons.

I doubt they would reuse any of those names for a third child, though looking at names in William's family tree would be a good bet.

14 hours ago, pug life said:

Long time lurker but I made an account just to point out that they named their kid .... HARRY WILLY 

:pb_lol::pb_lol::pb_lol::pb_lol::pb_lol:

I'm giggling like a 5 year old right now. Why didn't I notice that? LOL

15 hours ago, faraway said:

Why do they forcibly name their kids after history figures' LAST NAMES? That's so fucking weird. Ben has so many fucked up ideas, that boy needs a job ASAP.

I don't mind last names as first names (or middle names). It kind of reminds me of the Scottish naming practice of using last names as boys's first names - (which was so commonly done that now people don't blink twice at first names such as Scott, Gordon, Craig, Blair, Bruce, Cameron, Fraser, Grant, Ross, Stuart, the list literally goes on and on. It's a bit more noticeable when a kid is named "Campbell" or something though :D)

I think it's clear that Jessa got the pick of the first name this time around.

5 hours ago, eveandadam said:

But they said it would be a unique name? Henry is not unique at all!

To be fair - in their circles, it's definitely unique. All the names they are surrounded by are either biblical, typical Southern surname names e.g. Judson, Lawson, or J-names.

Henry's the kind of name that's popular with Europeans, New England WASPs and people that hang out at Nameberry. In other words - people that might as well be from another planet if you live in Planet Duggar.

13 hours ago, Hokey Pokey said:

I'm feeling oddly disappointed, what a perfectly normal reasonable name. I'm glad for little Henry though, much easier name to go through life with.

I kind of wish it was Wilberforce Henry just so I could make fun of it a bit more. lol

17 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I kind of wish it was Wilberforce Henry just so I could make fun of it a bit more. lol

yes it felt very anticlimactic when I saw it 

it was like oh 

what's next - you can't really snark on a name like Henry and unless Jessa calls him Willy well - snark is done :D

17 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

Anyone else think of "Charlotte's web" when they see Wilber?

I thought of Mr Ed - the talking horse.    The horse's owner was Wilber

39 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

IMG_7964.PNG

I think it went kind of like this:

Jessa - What are they talking about?  We didnt name him after a Catholic

Bin - Huh

Jessa - One second, I will look it up (googles...)  Oh, no.  Why didnt anyone tell us!

Bin - Huh?

Jessa - THEY'RE RIGHT! What are we going to say?!

Uh...the Queen named her own son Edward so I doubt the family has an issue with it. The Duke of Windsor was called David, one of his many middle names, by his family so they may not really associate Edward with him.

The reason it would be off the table for them is that British royals rarely give first names after living relatives. I suspect a third child that is a boy would get a less traditional and perhaps not regnal name. A precedent for that being Prince Andrew.

6 hours ago, Honeysuckle said:

Henry as a baby name has been rising in popularity for the last decade, and over 10,000 babies in the U.S. were named Henry in 2015 (the 2016 data won't be released until May). I wouldn't call it antiquated at all. It's an old name with a lot of history but it's hitting a spike in popularity right now.

Yeah....in my opinion "classic" doesn't equal the negative connotation that goes with the word "antiquated." Henry is definitely a more classic/traditional name that is rising in popularity with other classic names. I think the previous trend of "-den" names (Ayden, Jayden, Brayden, Hayden) and "yoo-nique" spellings is coming to and end in the U.S. 

"Henry" was on my list of names for my first boy. I liked it until someone suggested "Hank" being a nickname, then that instantly tarnished it. 

I hope little Henry Wilberforce will do like his namesake and convert to Catholicism when he grows up. I can just picture that conversation with Ben and Jessa... "But I am a defender of the faith! The one true faith! not like you heretics!"

Spurgeon on the other hand may have to turn to a life of drugs and hedonism - it'll take something stronger than tobacco to make that name remotely bearable.

11 hours ago, mizandry said:

:pb_lol: Yeah... I'm definitely enjoying this screenshot, and can't wait for Henry to get old enough to start Googling his own name:
24d07me.png

Congrats on your sweet little Catholic Convert, Blessabin!

ETA: What gets me is that they spend so much time after birth just deciding on a name... like, they give you this impression that they're just putting SOOO much thought into it... and yet this is what comes of it. Don't they look up the name? Is this part of their Christian Warrior efforts or something -- to just flood this Catholic convert's google page with their baby and replace him in the search results? lol

Henry's a great name, but WOW... they either lack foresight or are really petty in their implementation of the Christian Warrior Quiver concept. I don't know, but it's kind of hilarious :pb_lol: 

Laziness runs very, very strong in this bunch. I am not surprised at all. BMS probably googled strong, historical Christian preachers or some other odd Seewaldesque buzzwords, a list of names popped up, and the Seewalds chose from those names. Their research probably lasted no more than 10 minutes. 

24 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

"Henry" was on my list of names for my first boy. I liked it until someone suggested "Hank" being a nickname, then that instantly tarnished it. 

Henry is a family name in my family plus if i ever get a dog I want to name him that 

33 minutes ago, Foudeb said:

I hope little Henry Wilberforce will do like his namesake and convert to Catholicism when he grows up. I can just picture that conversation with Ben and Jessa... "But I am a defender of the faith! The one true faith! not like you heretics!"

Spurgeon on the other hand may have to turn to a life of drugs and hedonism - it'll take something stronger than tobacco to make that name remotely bearable.

Openly declared atheism might make the name bearable.

Maybe Bin views it as "redeeming" the name from evil Catholics. Wasn't there some nut job a few years back on the news for naming his kid Adolf, and he said it was because he wanted the name redeemed?

I don't like he name Henry, never have, but it is normal for Seewald #2 and that is good. Wilberforce is fundy I guess. All too amazing for me. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived