IGNORED

Seewalds 18 - Spurgy and Henry

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that took long enough, but I'm pleasantly surprised. Henry and Elliot are two of my favourite boys' names, so I hope they stop using Spurgeon in the near future.

I still think Spurgeon is a worse name than Wilberforce. Spurgeon just sounds so squicky to me.

5 minutes ago, faraway said:

Why do they forcibly name their kids after history figures' LAST NAMES? That's so fucking weird. Ben has so many fucked up ideas, that boy needs a job ASAP.

It's normal to use surnames, especially if you're wanting to specifically honour a certain person and their surname is more recognizable than their first name. This isn't new, and Ben Seewald definitely didn't invent it. 

1 hour ago, Screamapillar said:

I have no idea how the name Henry is supposed to glorify the Lord! How could Jessa's headship allow her to give her child a "cute" name?

So....Jessa appears to have won the name battle this time. Will she be wearing jeans soon? :pb_lol:

Maybe after Henry VIII? Had he not wanted to divorce Kathryn so he could righteously bone Anne, Protestantism might never have gained momentum.

1 hour ago, Gobsmacked said:

As long as they don't start calling him Hank.

Henrys are sometimes known as Harry. Perfect example is Prince Harry.

Forgive my ignorance -I am not a native English speaker- but I never understood this. How are these 3 versions of the same name? Prince Harry is called Henry? I am used to nicknames being a way of shortening names (in Spanish), this doesn't make any sense to me. Can someone enlighten me?

Elliot and Henry are so lovely, I hope they gradually make the change.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Henry is a lovely name. Wilberforce is more unusual, but it's nice enough and offers decent nicknames.

--------

And for everyone still bringing up Spurgeon's name - he has a more typical middle name he could use if he decides he wants to. Plenty of people do so, including a former Governor in my state - she went by M. Jodi Rell because she didn't want to use her first name (Mary.) Or he could always go by a nickname like Spur (which is actually kind of cool sounding.) An unusual first name isn't always a terrible thing and it's not like that name is really going to stick out much in their crowd. 

I love the Tudor dynasty, but can't watch the show. From what I've heard there are too many historical inaccuracies. It'd drive me crazy. :pb_lol:

I watched the show strictly for the soft core sex scenes. As long as I got an eyeful of Henry Caville's ass, they could take as many historical liberties as they darn well pleased.

Ben says that Henry was after a guy named Matthew Henry. It's in the video linked in the first post. I would have listened to hear the logic of that one, but Ben's voice annoys me to death :P

Well, per the video Henry is for "Matthew Henry", who wrote a series of commentaries on the Bible in the early 1700s and who was greatly praised by Charles Spurgeon. The quote given suggests that to Spurgeon, owning the commentaries was worth more for men than owning a coat. 

Whether the origin of the name is true or just a post-choice justification, at least the poor kid got a decent first name. And Jessa noted that yes, they have works by both Charles Spurgeon AND Matthew Henry on their mantle, so they expect people may start looking there for clues in the future. :my_confused:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Henry

1 minute ago, seasonsoflife said:

Forgive my ignorance -I am not a native English speaker- but I never understood this. How are these 3 versions of the same name? Prince Harry is called Henry? I am used to nicknames being a way of shortening names (in Spanish), this doesn't make any sense to me. Can someone enlighten me?

Prince Harry's real name is Henry. Nicknames for Henry include Hank, Harry, Huck, and Hal. Because English makes no sense. It beats up other languages and goes through their pockets for loose grammar :P

I wonder what it was that truly convinced Ben. Did Jessa put her foot down or was he wanting to avoid another Spurgeongate and name backlash

3 minutes ago, seasonsoflife said:

Prince Harry's actual name is Henry but he goes by Harry. It seems to be a tradition for English monarchs named Henry to go by Harry but it's so old it's hard to say why that is now.

I heard a theory for Hank in that it went Henk was short for Hendrick, and it was translated over to English as Hank for Henry

1 minute ago, MargaretElliott said:

Prince Harry's real name is Henry. Nicknames for Henry include Hank, Harry, Huck, and Hal. Because English makes no sense. It beats up other languages and goes through their pockets for loose grammar :P

Princess Diana married first in line to the throne so her kids had to have about 5 'royal' names so she got around it with more casual names for at home/at school with Wills and Harry.

5 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

Hey, at least those nicknames have some obvious relation to their parent name. When you get to the common nicknames for Margaret being Marge (related) but also Peg and Peggy, and Daisy for Marguerite, you've gone rather far afield in the level of obviousness.

I'm so mad. I'm the kind of person who thinks all sibling names need to "match" in style. You can't just name one kid Spurgeon and the other Henry. It isn't right. I wish they would've called him Elliot from the get-go to justify switching the order of his name.

But in other news, I actually dislike Wilberforce more than Spurgeon. It takes too much effort to say.

2 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Elliott and Henry would have been such a nice sibset! Poor Spurgey.

Maybe when he can gets a tad bit older he'll choose to go by Elliot. I would!

So actually whatever or whoever Ben is reading about or has taken a shine to will guarantee a future child's name. Jessa better have some girls to get off this theologian, preacher trend he is on.

3 minutes ago, pug life said:

Long time lurker but I made an account just to point out that they named their kid .... HARRY WILLY 

Very Royal of them!!

17 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

Hey, at least those nicknames have some obvious relation to their parent name. When you get to the common nicknames for Margaret being Marge (related) but also Peg and Peggy, and Daisy for Marguerite, you've gone rather far afield in the level of obviousness.

In Spanish Margarita is Daisy (the name AND the flower), but I didn't know Marguerites were called Daisy as nicknames.

43 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

It's normal to use surnames, especially if you're wanting to specifically honour a certain person and their surname is more recognizable than their first name. This isn't new, and Ben Seewald definitely didn't invent it. 

Thank you! As a begrudging Southerner, I was feeling a little put out by the shade towards the last name tradition :pb_lol: Of course, I'd be more inclined to use actual family surnames, not other prominent ones, but among my grandfather's siblings and cousins were first or middle names Jefferson, Lawrence, Franklin, Wallace, Baker, Hampton, Pickens... here, it has always been traditional to name boys after Revolutionary and other American and/or Southern 'heroes' of one sort or another -- or even after the local minister or doctor. Wilberforce isn't exactly my jam, but I think Henry Wilberforce is a nice name. And clearly they learned from Spurgeon Elliot that they did things the wrong way 'round last time.

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And Nancy is the nick name of Ann.

huh?

I'm not familiar with "Nancy" for Ann, but "Nan" was historically fairly common for Ann(e).

Another seemingly illogical one - Polly as a nickname for Mary. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived