IGNORED

Seewalds 18 - Spurgy and Henry

choralcrusader8613

2 minutes ago, BullyJBG said:

LOLOL thanks for the memory jog. I had an Uncle Hank. One day me and my siblings were calling all our uncles and aunts with "y" at the end, like "Uncle Jakey" or "Uncle Petey", and so on. Then we got to "Uncle Hankie" and laughed hysterically. Thankfully that was one moment where we were allowed to get the sillies out of our systems without being threatened spankings and stuff.

Oh yeah, why are no fundies naming their sons Peter? Or are there some I don't follow? We'll see; maybe Derick and Jill will name son #2 that; after Pistol Pete.

It's interesting, I have a religious (but not fundie, just garden variety Catholic) who vetoed Peter because she didn't like that it was slang for penis. 

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elliott and Henry would be adorable because Henry Thomas played a Elliott in E.T. Not that the kids will be allowed to watch that movie.

Maybe she is secretly going with the British trend in names. Henry is quite popular.  And it is not the first baby I have heard of lately called Henry.  My neighbors dog is called Henry. Mmmm

3 minutes ago, BullyJBG said:

LOLOL thanks for the memory jog. I had an Uncle Hank. One day me and my siblings were calling all our uncles and aunts with "y" at the end, like "Uncle Jakey" or "Uncle Petey", and so on. Then we got to "Uncle Hankie" and laughed hysterically. Thankfully that was one moment where we were allowed to get the sillies out of our systems without being threatened spankings and stuff.

Oh yeah, why are no fundies naming their sons Peter? Or are there some I don't follow? We'll see; maybe Derick and Jill will name son #2 that; after Pistol Pete.

If we had been lucky enough to have had a third son, he would have been Peter after my polish father-in-law who was Piotr. (Hope I've spelt it correctly in Polish).

Dearest @MargaretElliott -- In light of my recent culinary disasters, all I have to offer as naming prize is burned popcorn or floor jello in peach flavor.

I think I'll leave it up to fellow FJers to send you a prize commensurate with your effort.

=================

In my corner of the kingdom, Henry has been popular again for the last 15-20 years.  If Jessica was trying for the trynd-setter first name, she's off quite a bit.  But if just for cuteness?  It still works.

Basically agreeing with what all of you said, Henry is a cute name! My feeling though was when Spruge gets older and has his highly unique name, but you guys are right he can go by Elliot should he decide that growing up or just deal with Spurge.

naming a son after an abolitionist? Kind of progressive in Duggar terms. Of course, he was a man of God but yeah.....they could have picked a worse "Christian" name. 

Funny, I kinda think that Spurgey and Henry go quite well together as a set! I can totally imagine a mom on  the sideline of a football match screaming their names as they power down the field passing the ball in well-rehearsed brotherly tandem!

(And yeah, yeah, I know there'll be no team sports for them :my_sick: But that's my benchmark for checking if a name works for me and in this case, I think it does. So there!) 

5 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

It's interesting, I have a religious (but not fundie, just garden variety Catholic) who vetoed Peter because she didn't like that it was slang for penis. 

I've never heard that before?  I have heard of John willy though.

1 minute ago, Gobsmacked said:

If we had been lucky enough to have had a third son, he would have been Peter after my polish father-in-law who was Piotr. (Hope I've spelt it correctly in Polish).

Yes, you have :)

WTF, Henry is....normal and pleasant to say and hear.  I personally DGAF what people name their kids because names aren't permanent and can be changed and Seeweed Spawn #1 has a nice middle name to fall back on, but man, imagine introducing your kids to people "this is our new baby, Henry" "and his older brother?" "this is....Spurgeon".  Yeesh. 

So yeah, count me on the "Jessa won this name battle" bandwagon even though we have absolutely no proof that Ben chose Spurgeon/Wilberforce and Jessa chose Elliot/Henry.  It just *feels* like that's what is likely going on.  WHO WILL WIN (inevitable) NUMBER THREE'S NAME BATTLE?  Only time will tell.

3 minutes ago, IrishCarrie said:

Funny, I kinda think that Spurgey and Henry go quite well together as a set! I can totally imagine a mom on  the sideline of a football match screaming their names as they power down the field passing the ball in well-rehearsed brotherly tandem!

(And yeah, yeah, I know there'll be no team sports for them :my_sick: But that's my benchmark for checking if a name works for me and in this case, I think it does. So there!) 

Actually, I think Ben was involved in sports team growing up, even though he was homeschooled. Maybe there is hope for little league in Spurgie and Henry's future. 

Oh my god. What the hell is wrong with those two?!. Henry is a fine name but then they have to go and muck it up with their weirdness and pair it with WILBERFORCE??!! Why not Henry Michael? Henry Thomas? Jesus on a pogo stick I can't even. Can't wait to see what they do to their first daughter. 

I bet you anything that up until the last minute they were bickering about Wilberforce being the first or middle name and Jessa had the put up a fight for Henry not to be fated to the shit name Spurgeon ended up with.

Also my phone just tried to auto correct Spurgeon to Slytherin. Poor little spud...

I like the name (says the mom of children name after alcohol and a space princess) , I think Ben really pushed him to have Wilberforce as a first name and Jessa said NO. I think Spurgie will either 1)hate his name and never go by it or 2) love it uniqueness.  

18 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

LOL. I can't believe they did that to Spurge, I love the name though! I feel ya Spurge, my sister got a lovely feminine name while I got stuck with an ugly old lady name.

I hope all of their kids get pretty names like Henry and Spurge rebels to them lol.

My mother-in-law was given a pretty flower name which is now becoming fashionable again, also a very feminine middle name. Her poor younger sister was given a terrible old lady name (this was back in the 1920s), it was old fashioned even then.  The poor sister was also given a masculine middle name which can also be a surname. To this day the family think that Great- Grandma must have had a knock on the head!! The younger sister was always known by a nickname which was far nicer than her given name.

I am dissapointed. I was expecting they will go wild and we have Henry instead. But at least one son has really nice name.

Spurgey and pulling socks off melted my heart...:tw_blush: This kid couldn't be any cuter.

As soon as I saw the name I thought, "Yay, FJers predicted Wilberforce". I know his first name is Henry, but it's mighty clear to me that if Ben had had his way this would have been another monstrosity of a name. I don't really like Henry, but at least it's normal. I also like the egalitarian aspect of them each choosing a name. At least Jessa has some power in her relationship. 

5 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Oh my god. What the hell is wrong with those two?!. Henry is a fine name but then they have to go and muck it up with their weirdness and pair it with WILBERFORCE??!! Why not Henry Michael? Henry Thomas? Jesus on a pogo stick I can't even. Can't wait to see what they do to their first daughter. 

I don't see what's so terrible about the middle name Wilberforce? When are you ever in a situation where you have to use your middle name if you hate it? In day-to-day life, he'll be known as Henry. William Wilberforce was a hero of the abolition movement and a great namesake. I would've had no issue with Spurgeon as a middle name, either.

Ultimately I don't really care. But I'm just glad they didn't go with Wilberforce Henry! The way they waited and (half) revealed it on Insta, such a publicity stunt and attention for the pathetic show. They're all about getting attention to earn more money. They should've named the kid Big Bucks Seewald. That's what they're going to use him for. Exploit him on the show to get attention so they can keep getting money. Meanwhile, Ben works hard for his family sits on his rear end thinking he's cool at rapping.

48 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Henry is a lovely name. Wilberforce is more unusual, but it's nice enough and offers decent nicknames.

--------

And for everyone still bringing up Spurgeon's name - he has a more typical middle name he could use if he decides he wants to. Plenty of people do so, including a former Governor in my state - she went by M. Jodi Rell because she didn't want to use her first name (Mary.) Or he could always go by a nickname like Spur (which is actually kind of cool sounding.) An unusual first name isn't always a terrible thing and it's not like that name is really going to stick out much in their crowd. 

I love the Tudor dynasty, but can't watch the show. From what I've heard there are too many historical inaccuracies. It'd drive me crazy. :pb_lol:

OT:. Fellow Nutmegger here. Fun fact: Gov. Rell's nickname came courtesy of a long-ago boyfriend who thought she looked like Joey Heatherton, but didn't get Heatherton's own nickname right.

4 minutes ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

naming a son after an abolitionist? Kind of progressive in Duggar terms. Of course, he was a man of God but yeah.....they could have picked a worse "Christian" name. 

I suspect that his primary qualification as a namesake is that he was the right shade of evangelical. These folks seem to be interested in history only insofar as they can use it to praise their fellow white protestants. I mean Frederick Douglass was a powerfully religious man, but much of his fervor was directed at white evangelicals who tolerated slavery and racism. The uncomfortable truth is that the Seewalds' belong to a religious movement whose lineage is full of slaveholders and segregationists. Someone like Wilberforce was an exception, and so they like a version of history that puts him, not someone like Douglass, at the center.

See also: the way that they're constantly talking about Corrie Ten Boom, but never mention the Jews (and people of other backgrounds) who were even more prolific in resisting the Nazi regime.

Since Elliot and Henry were both clearly Jessa's choice I'm gonna say I like her taste in names. I'm also gonna have to agree with others saying Jessa probably put up a fight about the normal name being the first name this time. Now we know for the next kid (well at least for the boys) it'll probably be one normal name and one "christian hero" name. The order will be up for grabs though.

Also from this point forward I'm rebelling agains Bin. Their first born will only be referred to by Elliot by me :P

Henry's mom here. Gotta say I love the name! I went with boring ole Steven for the middle name after his dad. I know. Boring and not very righteous. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived