IGNORED

Seewalds 18 - Spurgy and Henry

choralcrusader8613

4 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Pretty much this for me too! I'm allergic to life, and cleaned out under my bed for the first time in a couple of years a few months ago. I was gasping for breath the rest of the day. No thanks, y'all can judge me for being a terrible wife. I'm ok with that. I'm also an adequate at best cook, and I was a product of fundie marriage training. Even fundie girls can toe the line and still give zero fucks about home skills. I did. 

I was cleaning out some old magazines, closets and such and it stirred up so much dust that my dachshund could not stop sneezing.  Doxie snot is its own kind of mess.  I decided that she needed a hiatus from my cleaning efforts.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahah I'm not the greatest at the house cleaning business either. I have a pile of clothes that is clean but not put away, then there's clean but still in the laundry basket, then there's dirty which is in other laundry basket. I rotate laundry detergents so that I can determine when abouts I washed said piece of clothing. Also, I left the house the other day and my black pants were mostly white with cat hair. :P 

Re: cooking skills. I was raised fundie - one of the reasons I started watching the Duggars and then ended up on FJ, was I looked at Jana and went holy shit, but for the grace of god, that would have been me. Sure, I was taught how to cook, and from the age of about 12 til I moved out I did the majority of the cooking in my house. That said, fundie cooking and "real" cooking are so far separated that they are different things. We couldn't afford fresh veggies most of the time, so most everything was canned, or frozen if we found something on sale. I could make our version of TTC like a boss, or I could make tuna casserole and crap like that, but when it came to cooking for a few people with fresh ingredients? I had no idea how to do that when I moved out and could afford fresh food. tl;dr I don't really blame the J'slaves for being shit cooks. Fundie "training" is poor preparation for the real world.

All that said, whichever one couldn't even make rice? I have no idea how the fuck that happened. We ate a LOT of rice cos poor and it was cheap and filling.

10 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Hahah I'm not the greatest at the house cleaning business either. I have a pile of clothes that is clean but not put away, then there's clean but still in the laundry basket, then there's dirty which is in other laundry basket. I rotate laundry detergents so that I can determine when abouts I washed said piece of clothing. Also, I left the house the other day and my black pants were mostly white with cat hair. :P 

Are you my husband in disguise? FESS UP! :-P

Seriously, this is my husband to a T. Laundry being done and put away properly is one of the things I wasn't willing to compromise on. Laundry gets done on certain days of the week, and it's folded and put away promptly. Mister, on the other hand, will leave shit on the dresser to be put away for months. I tested it once....a shirt stayed on that dresser for 3 months before I got frustrated and put it away.

See, I'm like @Carm_88 and Mr. Destiny. Laundry is never a finished chore. I drive my husband crazy! He does his own laundry and directs our child to do his. 

I'm always looking in a basket or dryer for socks or yoga pants. I need a volunteer laundry person!

I live out of baskets until I run out of clothes then I put away what's left and wash everything then live out baskets again. I don't answer to anyone though and rarely have visitors so it isn't a  biggie to me. 

I just have he toilet paper issue. Putting a new roll on the spindle is too complicated for my engineer husband. I didn't replace it once and left the roll on the back of the toilet to see if he'd get around to it. It stayed there till it was empty. Oh well, after 41 years of marriage, it's not worth worrying about.

I admit, i used the phrase "i'm not your f@#$ing maid " to my husband today.  I reminded him he can put his own dishes in the dishwasher and that i never get a day off from housework (i am a sahm) like he does with his job.  He didn't really have a reply. Although, it should have been, "yes, ma'am!"!

I hate housework...I mean HATE it. I don't have the patience nor the organizational skills. My husband does about 90% of it. Admittedly, since we have been empty nesters, the standards have been lowered...There's so much crap under our bed I wouldn't know if there are dust bunnies there too or not. I will get adventurous and clean the bathroom and kitchen occasionally. 

I DO cook though...I'm a good (great) cook. We rarely eat prepared foods, I cook from scratch and get creative. We like things with flavor too. The last meatloaf I made was outstanding! We had meatloaf, butter and herb pasta and green beans. Yeah...my hubby's tongue was jumping right out of his mouth trying to get to the food. 

I admit, i used the phrase "i'm not your f@#$ing maid " to my husband today.  I reminded him he can put his own dishes in the dishwasher and that i never get a day off from housework (i am a sahm) like he does with his job.  He didn't really have a reply. Although, it should have been, "yes, ma'am!"!

My fundie lite ex husband married me pretty much expecting me to be like his mom (who still did his laundry and cleaned his room while he was in his 20s). When we moved out after getting married I, like the Duggar girls, was so excited to be on my own and having a good time. I didn't care about cooking or cleaning. I was finally living in the city and had lots of other stuff to do. However, I always worked more than him (plus we were both in school) but he would still expect me to do all the housework.

I ended up rebelling and we had a total parent child relationship. The best compliment he ever gave me was that I was "undomesticated." I took that as a compliment and when I finally had enough money, I got my animals and my computer and got the hell out of there. Never looked back.

(I am now married to a husband who appreciates everything I do and always compliments me. Guess what. I ended up becoming something of a gourmet chef and actually enjoy cooking and cleaning for someone.)

1 hour ago, Chicken bones said:

I have to tell my husband, "I'm not your secretary," from time to time. He has some weird aversion to listening to the home voicemail. If we get a call on the home phone that is obviously for him (from the caller id), I leave it for him. "Honey, you have a voicemail. So-and-so called." "What do they want?" "How should I know? I'm not your secretary. Listen to your own voicemail!"

It isn't even like he has a secretary at his job, or ever has. (And, yeah, I know a better modern job title is professional assistant, but he's acting like a 1950's stereotype, so I use the 1950's title.)

In Jessa's defense, is she never LEARNED to properly cook and clean it could be she actually does think she is doing a good job- just the quality of work Michelle THINKS is a good job. 

Does anyone honestly think Michelle ever took the time to walk step-by-step with her girls through the process of cooking and cleaning. She likely spent 5 minutes tops before expecting them to know it. 

I came from a house that was condemned because it was so filthy, and I never learned that it was a normal thing to clean a house until much later. 

Jessa, to put it simply, has a normal that isn't normal for the people who didn't grow up in her house. 

I actually like cooking and cleaning. It makes me feel good to provide for my family in that way. I've had to try and loosen up on the need to clean since welcoming Velocibaby though - I can't deny that cute face when she wants to snuggle. :)

My husband enjoys cooking too and he helped me pick up new recipes and skills. Working in the kitchen with him can be pretty fun - I can't wait until Velocibaby is old enough to join in, especially with family recipes!

My husband does 95% of the cooking and 90% of the cleaning. From a wheelchair! I am definitely not Quiverfull material. We both work full time but I work longer hours so it does even out. 

9 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I have to tell my husband, "I'm not your secretary," from time to time

I tell mine "I don't work for you". He sometimes forgets himself, and thinks I'm there to do things for him, his way. He's on an extended time off right now, and let's just say I'm still adapting. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived