IGNORED

Seewalds 18 - Spurgy and Henry

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, MargaretElliott said:

I wouldn't be surprised either, but my question is that if they had this cooking experience, why do they play up their ignorance in the kitchen on Counting On? If they did the cooking, they'd know how to cook a few dishes, even if it was just tater tot casserole. Then again, the Duggars might just lie. Wouldn't surprise me at all #alternativefacts :P

Maybe they mean real cooking? They can heat up canned soup and nasty tater tots and stack ice cream sandwiches but that's not really cooking. Can they make a good meal? A pot roast, some mashed potatoes (that don't come from a box), actual veggie dishes from fresh veggies? 

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Kailash said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Jill and Jessa hate cooking because they had to cook so much when they were younger. They probably got a lifetime of cooking experience before they ever hit late teen years.

I think you have hit the nail on head! When my hubs and I lived with the inlaws and psycho BIL + his ummmm no appropriate word here, I did ALL the cooking and cleaning up. I grew to absolutely hate cooking for awhile so I can sympathize with the Duggar girls and I was only cooking for at the most 8-10 people. Now I don't mind but prefer it when kid/grandkid is here to at least talk to and grab things that I forgot that need (lol-or sometimes handle the phone).

45 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

Maybe they don't know how to cook anything that isn't Tater Tot Casserole?

I don't think they know how to cook from scratch. Who would have taught them? They were basically living in a zoo.

Anyone remember the Dilley Sextuplets from Indiana? I remember they were born at about the same time as my youngest, and the father was the SAHP.  Anyhow, the dad did a magazine interview where he said that he kept the toddlers in an enclosed pen [most parents of higher multiples do] and he would just sprinkle cereal into the pen, and that was breakfast.

You have to do things differently when you have a herd...and no extra help...and no one goes to school...and you do not believe in BC...or abstaining from sex.

Not enough hours in the day.

2 things:

1) I love to cook but if someone starts pressuring me to do it I hand them the phone and tell them to get take out. I do have a slight rule tho, if I cook, you clean.

And 2) Since Jinger got with Jeremy there's always talk about how he is Italian and they don't usually eat a lot of Italian. How does a huge ass family not have pasta like 3 times a week? It's super cheap and super fast to make. I've actually thought about this. They act all surprised at the different types of noodles and stuff. Is the only Italian food they know pizza?  They should know how to heat up tomato sauce and boil some pasta. 

Oh and now I thought of a third.

3) WTF do they eat in that house? I mean we know they don't eat tater tot casserole every day. WTF do they eat? They always act like some foods are brand new to them. 

2 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

2 things:

1) I love to cook but if someone starts pressuring me to do it I hand them the phone and tell them to get take out. I do have a slight rule tho, if I cook, you clean.

And 2) Since Jinger got with Jeremy there's always talk about how he is Italian and they don't usually eat a lot of Italian. How does a huge ass family not have pasta like 3 times a week? It's super cheap and super fast to make. I've actually thought about this. They act all surprised at the different types of noodles and stuff. Is the only Italian food they know pizza?  They should know how to heat up tomato sauce and boil some pasta. 

Oh and now I thought of a third.

3) WTF do they eat in that house? I mean we know they don't eat tater tot casserole every day. WTF do they eat? They always act like some foods are brand new to them. 

I think that since they moved to the TTH (2005), they rarely all eat together. I think this is a family of nomadic snackers. For a family where neither parent has left the house for work and no one has ever gone to school, its odd that they don't all eat together. Their kitchen must be like a restaurant kitchen- someone always in it. I was going to say "and dishes in the sink", but then I caught myself. Nope, more garbage in the landfill.

How could you possibly have a household that had double digit kids and not have a defined schedule????

9 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Well if you if you remember the old specials, it showed Jana feeding a baby peas out of a can. Pretty sure Michelle did something similar with Jordyn and Izzy has been shown to drink tomato sauce straight from the can. So canned food! Cold most likely

3 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Well if you if you remember the old specials, it showed Jana feeding a baby peas out of a can. Pretty sure Michelle did something similar with Jordyn and Izzy has been shown to drink tomato sauce straight from the can. So canned food! Cold most likely

I would die of embarrassment if I feed my nephew cold peas out of a can. It's not that hard to cut up a fresh cucumber as a snack instead of can peas. You should see the look on my face right now tho. I'm grossed out. Plus I wouldn't give a one year old tomato sauce straight up because of heart burn and colic. That's just calling for future digestive issues.

Okay, in defense of Jillymuffin-I hate to do it but, my 3 would only eat green beans straight from the can at Izzy/Spurgy's ages. Drove Nanny (great grandma on hubs side) nuts. You couldn't heat and then cool them, they also couldn't be frozen and heated. They would not eat them. Straight from the can only-5 beans at a time, repeat every 5 minutes or so until child is full.

8 minutes ago, DaniLouisiana said:

Okay, in defense of Jillymuffin-I hate to do it but, my 3 would only eat green beans straight from the can at Izzy/Spurgy's ages. Drove Nanny (great grandma on hubs side) nuts. You couldn't heat and then cool them, they also couldn't be frozen and heated. They would not eat them. Straight from the can only-5 beans at a time, repeat every 5 minutes or so until child is full.

I don't so much see an issue with canned vegetables. Kids are stubborn little buggers. If that's the only way to get your kid to eat veggies, then it's better than no veggies at all. So canned peas or canned green beans don't really faze me. I admit to thinking that a one year old drinking canned tomato sauce is weird, but it's not like it's the same as ketchup or pasta sauce, so maybe there are some health benefits there?

2 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

I don't so much see an issue with canned vegetables. Kids are stubborn little buggers. If that's the only way to get your kid to eat veggies, then it's better than no veggies at all. So canned peas or canned green beans don't really faze me. I admit to thinking that a one year old drinking canned tomato sauce is weird, but it's not like it's the same as ketchup or pasta sauce, so maybe there are some health benefits there?

The tomato sauce straight from the can is weird. Buy tomato juice, people!

19 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

I'm not sure about health benefits but she could have at least poured the sauce into a glass. Rather than popping a straw into an open can. 

I babysat a kid who loved to drink the "corn juice" (from a glass) a.k.a. the corny water from canned corn. It made me want to retch but kids are hilarious in their tastes that way...

Regardless, it doesn't seem like any kids should eat or drink out of a can. Those things are sharp and dangerous, people!

The kid being fed the canned peas straight from the can was lying down on the couch. At least have the kid sitting up.

On the topic of baby names - for YEARS now my headship has had one specific baby name in mind for his future daughter - turns out, that (quite uncommon) name is one that runs in my family. Headship was pretty stoked.

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Anyhow, the dad did a magazine interview where he said that he kept the toddlers in an enclosed pen [most parents of higher multiples do] and he would just sprinkle cereal into the pen, and that was breakfast.

Ha, I did this with my twins! I'd toss Cheerios on the coffee table and they'd toddle over and eat while I scarfed down a bagel or something. We penned off our entire living room, it was like a room size play pen for them. I don't miss baby gates! 

Re: Not being able to cook...maybe if they pretend they don't know how, their headship will allow them to go out or order takeout? Or *gasp* maybe their husbands might actually lift a finger in the kitchen.  Oh wait. Hahahaha yeah...right.

There was also the time Jimbo was on a diet and was eating canned tomatoes (straight out of the can) so maybe it's a family thing, like the pickles.

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

How could you possibly have a household that had double digit kids and not have a defined schedule????

And we know they know the Maxwells of the Grand Idol the Schedule fame...

1 hour ago, CinnaJen said:

Re: Not being able to cook...maybe if they pretend they don't know how, their headship will allow them to go out or order takeout? Or *gasp* maybe their husbands might actually lift a finger in the kitchen.  Oh wait. Hahahaha yeah...right.

I seem to recall that Ben enjoys cooking?

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I'm not sure about health benefits but she could have at least poured the sauce into a glass. Rather than popping a straw into an open can. 

This made me gag.This that really happen?!

13 minutes ago, seasonsoflife said:

This made me gag.This that really happen?!

Yep. Grossed me right out. And I mean he's one and cans have sharp edges. Frig, I cut myself on a can of cat food the other day. 

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

But then one of his parents would have had to lift a finger and WASH IT afterwards!!

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

Yep. Grossed me right out. And I mean he's one and cans have sharp edges. Frig, I cut myself on a can of cat food the other day. 

To be fair, there are can openers that don't leave sharp edges. However, I also know it's unlikely they actually used one of those.

12 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

But then one of his parents would have had to lift a finger and WASH IT afterwards!!

To be fair, there are can openers that don't leave sharp edges. However, I also know it's unlikely they actually used one of those.

That would mean that they would have to think about such things. We know that Derick and Jill share one brain cell between them. 

Almost all electric can openers these days leave the safe edges. I love using them when I cook at friends' and families' homes. I'm SURE the Duggars use electric; I have a cheap manual one and hate using it every time, and I don't eat as much canned food as they do.  (I do open enough canned beans and tomatoes to feel carpal tunnely from the effort.) I think Jill is too lazy for a manual. Also I think the the kid definitely would have cut his little fingers or mouth if the can had had sharp edges. And knowing the weird Dillards, they would have posted pictures of the ensuing cut, too. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived