IGNORED

Iowa cops whining that they're getting stabbed in the back by the GOP

47of74

Unfreaking believable

iowastartingline.com/2017/02/13/police-officers-we-didnt-vote-republican-to-get-stabbed-in-the-back/

Hundreds of helmeted firefighters have flooded the Statehouse in the last week and police officers and sheriffs have lined up at committee hearings to speak against it. They don’t trust that this carve-out for their jobs will last long, nor do many of them feel it’s appropriate to deny the bargaining rights they have to fellow workers who have also had them for over 40 years.

And several police officers and firefighters warned that Republicans’ plan to create a special “public safety” class for negotiations wouldn’t work in many cases. John Thomas, a police officer from Mitchellville, explained last week that some sheriff’s deputies wouldn’t get classified as “public safety” workers because there’s more jailers and clerks in the bargaining unit. The Republican bill only classifies workers as “public safety” employees if a majority of workers in a bargaining unit is made up of police or firefighters.

That has many police officer, who voted for Republicans in large numbers this year, particularly upset.

“It’s collective begging, that’s what it is,” Thomas labeled the bill at a subcommittee hearing. “Half of law enforcement folks I work with are Republicans. And we voted for Republicans because of conservative values. But we didn’t vote for Republicans to get stabbed in the back while we’re trying to dodge cars and bullets.”

Jesus, at the rate I'm shoving Bennys, $50s, and $20s in the swear jar I'm going to be broke in no time.

I'd tell these guys you made your fornicating bed, now go lie in the goddamn thing.  Republicans made no secret of their disdain of unions from  the get go, and cops actually thought it wouldn't affect their unions.  They get what they deserve if the Iowa GOP guts labor protections.

It goes back to them voting against their self interest. It just bothers me how they play this card that "we didn't think he would REALLY do anything" or "What about us?! what about our needs?" I feel no sympathy at all.

This is what happens when people only vote for 3 issues....abortion, gays, and guns. Karma's a bitch. Now they need to pull up their britches, stop whining, and deal with it.

3 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Unfreaking believable

iowastartingline.com/2017/02/13/police-officers-we-didnt-vote-republican-to-get-stabbed-in-the-back/

Jesus, at the rate I'm shoving Bennys, $50s, and $20s in the swear jar I'm going to be broke in no time.

I'd tell these guys you made your fornicating bed, now go lie in the goddamn thing.  Republicans made no secret of their disdain of unions from  the get go, and cops actually thought it wouldn't affect their unions.  They get what they deserve if the Iowa GOP guts labor protections.

I just gave up on the swear jar.  I had a pretty bad sailor mouth before this orange cluster fuck ... now I'm not holding back unless I'm around very small children ..my thirteen year old has heard it all before. 

3 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Unfreaking believable

Really? They are just figuring it out NOW?  Every single Republican told them what they were going to do. Their  orange overlord told them.  Question is, will they remember this in two years for the next election? Somehow I doubt it.  It will be back to guns, gays and fetuses 

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

I just gave up on the swear jar.  I had a pretty bad sailor mouth before this orange cluster fuck ... now I'm not holding back unless I'm around very small children ..my thirteen year old has heard it all before. 

Really? They are just figuring it out NOW?  Every single Republican told them what they were going to do. Their  orange overlord told them.  Question is, will they remember this in two years for the next election? Somehow I doubt it.  It will be back to guns, gays and fetuses 

If I had one I'd be emptying it to do some shopping right about now.  I'd be hitting the Best Buy and the book store to forget the tangerine dumb fuck for a few minutes,

My swear jar is overflowing.  What the holy f**k did law enforcement, teachers, etc. think they were going to get when they voted overwhelmingly Republican.  Iowa is in a Republican lock down.  No good can come of that.  The Republicans have been waiting very patiently to break public employees collective bargaining.  There are many protests in an attempt to sway representatives, but it's a done deal.  

@onekidanddone- you are so right the next  Iowa election will come down to fetuses, guns,  the ebil gays.  The Republicans in the General Legislature are touting that weaker collective bargaining will reward hard working employees.  In reality, older higher paid employees will lose their jobs and be replaced with younger lower paid staff.  

Yeah, no sympathy from me.  They voted for this cluster fuck, now they have to live with it.  Might I suggest they use all two of their brain cells and put more thought into who they vote for in 2018 and 2020.

I can say I find it interesting the state of Minnesota, which is their neighbor essentially seems more moderate to liberal leaning. The whole landscape politically seems odd in relation to how the certain parts of the Midwest are set up. The Republicans certainly know how to spin the whole small government and we will protect the middle class. While at the same time gutting things which benefit the middle class, then turning around doing favors for wealthy business interest. Then they can paint Democrats as elitist who don't care for the middle class and over tax people. Now that the Republicans are the majority Americans can see what their policies bring forth, especially in local politics.

17 minutes ago, infooverload said:

How is this working with Brownback in Kansas? It has been a complete catastrophe. He's a puppet of the Koch brothers and has devastated Kansas's budget. Thanks to his huge tax cuts, roads, schools, and other public services are in crisis. Revenue projections are never met, requiring more rounds of cuts.

I can say I find it interesting the state of Minnesota, which is their neighbor essentially seems more moderate to liberal leaning. The whole landscape politically seems odd in relation to how the certain parts of the Midwest are set up. The Republicans certainly know how to spin the whole small government and we will protect the middle class. While at the same time gutting things which benefit the middle class, then turning around doing favors for wealthy business interest. Then they can paint Democrats as elitist who don't care for the middle class and over tax people. Now that the Republicans are the majority Americans can see what their policies bring forth, especially in local politics.

After Breadbags McCutyernurzoff was elected Senator if I could've I would have packed up and moved to Minnesota. Still would if I could.

Another example of people finding out who they voted for is not looking out for them:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-border-idUSKBN15V0GA?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Now in office, Trump is considering a 20 percent tax on imports from Mexico, one of several ideas under review in Washington, and is promising to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement.

More than a dozen city officials, employers and workers interviewed here said a border tax, if enacted, could choke the flow of imports from Mexico. They described a chain of events that would harm the economy, threaten local jobs and lead to higher prices for U.S. consumers.

(...)

... produce trader Jaime Chamberlain said business with Mexico is the lifeblood of Nogales, which brings in more pounds of Mexican produce than any other U.S. border town.

It’s “one of the largest industries here with the most employment and the most to lose,” said Chamberlain, a board member of the Fresh Produce Association of the Americas. He voted for Trump and his pro-business, socially conservative agendas, but is lobbying state leaders to oppose the tax.

Collective bargaining for Iowa public workers has been gutted.  No surprise.  I have zero sympathy for public workers who voted for "conserative family values".  Maybe next election, they will remember what was lost today.

Republicans really knew what they were doing with the whole "abortion, family values, blah blah blah" bullshit. Gets people to vote against their own best interests every time

Latest email from my list-serve- "call the governor (Terry Braindead) and tell him to veto HF 291".  Yeah right, Terry is really going to listen.  He's off to China and breaking the union is his legacy.   

How much did voter apathy and gerrymandering play into this? A lot of people suffer voter fatigue and don't keep track most of the time to what elective officials are doing. A lot of this is changing with higher Internet involvement in politics. Gone are the days of manual letters. Today a few key strokes and fill in the blanks good to go. A lot easier after a person has worked all day, taken care of the house and children. I love how on the right there is this narrative of all the protestor are paid and don't have jobs. Umm really because I don't remember people claiming those things for tea party protestors. There is a growing discontent among people and the results are going to be interesting to see. The Republicans policies more people seem to be realizing slowly oh snap they're not just going after those lazy welfare queens, but me a hard worker who tries to follow the rules.

Here's an interesting article with interviews with Trump supporters and supporters of the resistance.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/17/donald-trump-supporters-pennsylvania-loyalists-resistance?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Trump supporters in the article aren't 'rabid' defenders, but actually rather 'reasonable'. What I took from their statements is that the common factor all Trump supporters have is that they lack the ability to see past their own noses and seem to have blinkers on.

I almost feel sorry for them when the hard reality starts to hit them in the face. Almost.

4 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Here's an interesting article with interviews with Trump supporters and supporters of the resistance.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/17/donald-trump-supporters-pennsylvania-loyalists-resistance?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Trump supporters in the article aren't 'rabid' defenders, but actually rather 'reasonable'. What I took from their statements is that the common factor all Trump supporters have is that they lack the ability to see past their own noses and seem to have blinkers on.

I almost feel sorry for them when the hard reality starts to hit them in the face. Almost.

Nope.  Not me.  I have zero sympathy for someone who has no empathy for other people.  "Me, me, me" is the wrong way to live life and totally against the Christian principles these people say they strive to live by.  They're liars and they're selfish.  

8 minutes ago, Childless said:

Nope.  Not me.  I have zero sympathy for someone who has no empathy for other people.  "Me, me, me" is the wrong way to live life and totally against the Christian principles these people say they strive to live by.  They're liars and they're selfish.  

Well, I certainly don't disagree with you there. That's why I stressed almost.  :pb_wink:

As I've said any number of times before, I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who voted for Agent Orange and other Republicans and now are worried about losing health care, collective bargaining, voting rights, etc.  Fuck them.  No, really.  Fuck them.  They made their goddamn bed and can now goddamn lie in the fucking thing.   They deserve everything that happens to them.  And I don't give a fuck if it makes me a bad person for thinking or saying that either.

No sympathy here. These are people who voted because they felt they were justified in taking things away from other people. Healthcare, human rights, Union bargaining rights, jobs, assistance, whatever. These people voted for Trump because they wanted "other" people to be hurt. Now, they've figured out that they are in the same group and they will also be hurt. Tough shit. You voted for him, take responsibility. Just because you didn't think you were going to be hurt by the orange baboon doesn't give you permission to ask people to feel sorry for you. I mean, you can, but the vast majority of people who live in the real world and not Trump Supporter Fantasy Planet will just laugh in your face.

Those of us who don't live on the Republican Fantasy Planet need to get busy and organize.  Yes, I belong to an Iowa public employee union.  Not everyone at my workplace belongs to the union, but they reap the benefits.  Whatever.  Now many of these same people are bitching because raises will be limited to either the COL or 3% whichever is less.  Our health insurance will be replaced with inferior coverage.  There are also provisions which were put into place to break the union (employees much vote each year at the union expense to dissolve or retain the union).  Now is not the time for complacency.   Sadly, I've experienced union breaking in a previous time/place.   The real work starts Monday as we try to rebuild and energize for midyear elections.

Archived