IGNORED

Hodnetts converting Scotland, or England, or...who knows? Part 2

samurai_sarah

A tent in Scotland in August. Shiver. Bring thick Jumper and wellies. July has been a washout so far. Fingers crossed that August is warmer!!!! 

Dont worry about decent grub Palimpsest! Jody appears to be a magnet for decent grub!!

• Upvote 10

Wellies and warm jumpers may be required for any tent activities in Scotland this year. July has been damp, cold and windy. Hopefully August will be warmer. 

Palimpsest, don't worry about the grub situation. Jody is a food magnet. There will be food!

Edited by Gobsmacked
Sorry for double post with differences.
  • Upvote 5

Apologies. I'm sat outside a Scottish hostelry fighting the wind in my hair!! I thought the first post had been lost!!!

• Upvote 10

It's so obvious that the Lord is telling Jody he should be doing a food kitchen/soup kitchen ministry.  He adores food. I don't get why Jody isn't hearing this.  Jesus is standing on his shoulder screaming in his ear,  "FEED THEM!".  My city has a food truck "ministry" called Mobile Loaves and Fishes, that sets up at a regular time and place, so homeless people can always find them.  They give out food, but don't preach, which is why I put "ministry" in quotes.   They've also managed to set up a village for the homeless,  with tiny homes, social workers, a community space and lots of other amenities and resources for the (now formerly) homeless. It's called Community First! Village.  It's awesome.  Jody, stop preaching and start feeding! 

• Upvote 13

Scotland is notorious for midges. Bitey little flies basically, similar to a mosquito I guess (i don't live in Scotland so I don't know).

Jody and the family will probably only get midges as guests at this Tent thingymawotsit. 

Edited by mango_fandango
  • Upvote 9

Midges are practically invisible evil biting creatures. Visible in swarms. They sneak and bite numerous times. The itching starts later. Various universities are working on ways to eradicate them. Midges spoil many highland and west coast camping trips. They are the work of the devil. 

• Upvote 10

I do enjoy how Jody just barrels along assuming if it's good in the USA, it's good here.  We don't have this tradition of tent revivals in the UK, because our towns and cities are much more densely populated, and there are strict guidelines about what can and can't be done on public spaces.  Plus, as everyone else has said, a tent revival in Scotland?  I'm laughing out loud, because if it's not raining, it's likely to be super-muggy.  

It reminds me of this, which someone posted in the first thread, a Scottish minister talking about USA missionaries to Scotland assuming that things they do in the USA are automatically superior:

http://theaquilareport.com/how-not-to-be-an-american-missionary-in-scotland/

(We do have a tradition of people standing outside shouting their beliefs...)

Co-signing @Howl, a Jody food-based Ministry would be win-win-win!

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Midges are practically invisible evil biting creatures. Visible in swarms. They sneak and bite numerous times. The itching starts later. Various universities are working on ways to eradicate them. Midges spoil many highland and west coast camping trips. They are the work of the devil. 

They are evil! I love going walking or for picnics in the late evening in summer when it's still light but midges always ruin it. They always seem to go for my hair line and it itches like the fires of hell. 

I hope someone finds a way to eradicate them 

• Upvote 8

Jody Hodnett, Missionary to Scotland:  Ministering Mightily to Midges.

The only problem I have with Jody setting up a soup kitchen is that we have never seen him, or Ginger for that matter, cook.  He only seems to consume food cooked by others.

• Upvote 11

21 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I just noticed on his church website that he is planning a week long "Tent Meeting."  13-20 August at 7pm nightly.  No details as to the location.  Why a tent?  Has the community centre already given him the boot?

OMG ! He is trying to have a tent revival in Scotland?! Those things don't even work in America anymore. It ends up people don't like to spend their evenings in a tent, in mostly bad weather, being screamed at about how they are going to hell. 

• Upvote 11

Does he know that he will have to provide porta potties, have tent safety checked by the fire brigade, get local council permission to erect it if it's not in someone's garden/private land. Check with the roads department if extra traffic is involved? Health and safety is quite stringent in Scotland. I think the whole idea is crackers but he appears slightly naive. I don't  want him getting into trouble. 

• Upvote 11

I suspect that the "tent meeting" plan on the church website is just wishful thinking on Jody's part.  He's not exactly advertising it widely.  I can't imagine he'll get crowds unless he's partnering with other missionaries, and probably not even then.

He'll probably put up a canopy in his front garden, hand out tracts to the neighbors, and call it a tent meeting!

• Upvote 8

15 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

He'll probably put up a canopy in his front garden, hand out tracts to the neighbors, and call it a tent meeting!

If he puts on a barbeque, it could work well!

• Upvote 6

36 minutes ago, Lurky said:

If he puts on a barbeque, it could work well!

The smoke will chase away the midges Win win!!

• Upvote 10

16 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Does he know that he will have to provide porta potties, have tent safety checked by the fire brigade, get local council permission to erect it if it's not in someone's garden/private land. Check with the roads department if extra traffic is involved? Health and safety is quite stringent in Scotland. I think the whole idea is crackers but he appears slightly naive. I don't  want him getting into trouble. 

Basically, the rest of us will have to pay for this silliness with our taxes. Thanks, Jody. That money could have gone towards education, improved roads, the NHS or some such, but who cares about the people who live and work in Scotland?

21 hours ago, formergothardite said:

OMG ! He is trying to have a tent revival in Scotland?! Those things don't even work in America anymore. It ends up people don't like to spend their evenings in a tent, in mostly bad weather, being screamed at about how they are going to hell. 

Don't knock tents in Scotland! We have some fine ones! (Please, don't. I'm about to embark on a two week camping trip in Scotland. Midgie-net, repellent and "Afterbite" are at the ready, let's hope that my tent does what it should i.e.: keep the midgies out, and me constantly slightly damp and miserable).

• Upvote 12

@samurai_sarah Here's for you having the nirvana of Scottish camping trips, with no midges, only gentle rain at night when you're in a rain-proof tent, no blazing heat (unless you like that sort of thing) and definitely no stag/hen parties/rowdy teenagers/lads' holiday in the field next to you!

• Upvote 5

I spent my childhood camping in Scotland, while I loved it. It may be unsettling for people not used to the weather. I left the house yesterday to go to the shop at the end of my street with a light hoody on. Got half way when the heavy rain started. The weather can turn quickly and I got soaked. I hope they are prepared for rain.

• Upvote 9

The Edinburgh festival began yesterday. So naturally we have rain today-typical. Jody may be too busy this year to post pictures of all the witchly pagan things going on here!! Still no word of his new church though. I do hope Ginger's sewing groups have started. I have fond memories of the ones I attended a few years ago. I met with a smashing group of ladies. 

• Upvote 5

Having spent last Thursday-Saturday on a hill in Glasgow, i'd like to concur on the weather and the midges. My feet are still wet!

That being said, I'd take both the rain and the midges over having to listen to him preach any day. The Scottish scenery is a delight for the eyes, I'm not sure my ears would feel the same about Jody! 

(Scotland is one of my favourite countries, so I didn't mind being wet and bitten to much. Plus I'm from Manchester which has its own fair share of rain! )

Edited by Gemini
Because I know city's have capital letters!
  • Upvote 7

I remember Manchester rain well. I lived there for 3 years in the late 70s. Can still remember cycling through the rain getting splashed by taxis and buses!!

• Upvote 3

We spend a lot of time going between Glasgow and Manchester.  I often joke that we picked the two wettest cities in the world! 

I spent a few years living in Alberta Canada, and I have to admit I did miss the rain a little bit. (Usually after 5 months of snow!)

• Upvote 2

I lost more umbrellas on buses and trains living in Manchester and then Glasgow in the Late 80's!!  I have a knack of misplacing umbrellas!

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

No news on the Jody front? *sigh*

So, I'm back from my camping trip, and the midges ate me alive. Only at the ankles though, where I forgot to apply "Smidge", thinking that my woolly socks would deter them. Nope, they found a way! My ankles look like I suffered a very small, localised outbreak of the smallpox.

Anyway, I came home to a pamphlet called "Finding the Way through Scotland". At first, I thought it was a free travel guide. It turns out that Mr samurai_sarah had saved it for me, because it was a proselytising pamphlet. I was so excited, thinking that maybe it came from the Hodnetts. Alas, no such luck. It's from "Every Home in Scotland for Christ". They are offering a free Bible course.

I tried to figure out their beliefs, but the website isn't very helpful. All I have figured out so far is that the movement was started by a Canadian, who went to Japan for a while, and decided to start a grass-roots movement. Part of their movement took a trip to Israel and Egypt recently, and worshipped on holy ground there. Cue loads of pathos and heartfelt feelings. Good for them, but can I please get a clear idea of what they believe in?

Another aspect is that they are trying to win Nepali villages over for Christianity. Why? Seriously, why? I'm not against their drive for mosquito nets in Africa (see: midgies in Scotland), but the rest just seems like the kind of thing you do to make yourself feel better. And I certainly don't see the Wee Frees, the Kirk, the Episcopalians, or the Catholics being particularly taken.

Mr samurai_sarah made me promise NOT to sign up for the free Bible course, although I am so tempted. I really want to know more about their take on Scotland.

Tl:dr: Got eaten by midges, received pamphlet sadly NOT from Jody, can't find out more because headship made me promise.

• Upvote 9