IGNORED

Counting On: Season 3, Part 3: Shifting Blame and Escape Rooms

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm also incredibly lopsided. I could net 100% averages in my language classes and also do very well in history and literature (though I had issues with getting homework done...so I did struggle a lot with that), but I just could not get math at all, and by extension, math-heavier science disciplines. It's weird, because I'm really good at learning languages and I generally have a decent sense of direction and spatial awareness, but I just can't get my head around math. I am good at mental math, though.

It's really frustrating to be lopsided in your academic skills. It turns into a weird vicious cycle where you hear all the time "oh, you're so smart", so when you just can't get something, you automatically think "I'm stupid and I'll never be good at this because I'm supposed to just naturally get everything because that's what smart people do", and then you just have this self-fulfilling prophecy: "I'm stupid because I don't get this, and I'll never get it because I'm stupid." It took me years to overcome this mentality; now I'm trying to find more time to learn some economics and brush up my algebra skills, since now I feel more confident and I don't have all the pressure I felt in school.

I was this way at well.  I could read well before starting school (ageing myself here, but I was ready Nancy Drew/Hardy boys books when I started school), but was REALLY bad in math. Totally lost.  My teachers always told my mother they couldn't fail me 'cause I was so good in other subjects, but even today I am mathphobic.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

I have dyscalculia. The headmaster at my sons primary school did the tests after I attended a school maths evening for parents and failed all the example questions for primary three and upwards!! I also have no sense of direction or any mental maps of places, even after visiting on a few occasions. I used to get lost a lot! I have learnt over the years to look for landmarks to help get me back to were I'm supposed to be. I also have to turn a map upside down to be able to follow it. It was a relief to get a diagnosis eventually. At least I'm not just plain thick!!

I'm doing National 5 Maths at college and struggled helping my nephew, whose in primary 6 with Maths, they have changed methods compared to when I was at primary school in the 90's, he has a horrible teacher, who got mad at him for using the method for long multiplication that both me and his mum were taught. It's good your sons headmaster noticed the signs and got you tested. I hadn't heard of dycalculia until a few years ago.

I did great in math until Calculus and Statistics...they just DO NOT compute! But, I have almost a photographic memory in other ways. If I read something I'll never forget it. If I go somewhere, I'll always be able to find my way there and back. For example...my youngest went back to the town we lived in (In Indiana) to visit his father. He called me for directions to the mall. I was able to give him directions (while sitting at my desk 900 miles away) and hadn't been there, by then in about 10 years. I could sit in Vegas and give my husband directions in PHX. yeah...I know..."she's such a fucking weirdo"...

3 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I did great in math until Calculus and Statistics...they just DO NOT compute! But, I have almost a photographic memory in other ways. If I read something I'll never forget it. If I go somewhere, I'll always be able to find my way there and back. For example...my youngest went back to the town we lived in (In Indiana) to visit his father. He called me for directions to the mall. I was able to give him directions (while sitting at my desk 900 miles away) and hadn't been there, by then in about 10 years. I could sit in Vegas and give my husband directions in PHX. yeah...I know..."she's such a fucking weirdo"...

I often freak my friends out with how well I can remember stuff. But they stop freaking out when I win them free rounds at bar trivia because even if I can't do calculus if you put a rifle to my face, I can remember national capitals like a boss and weird facts about Star Trek (fun fact: King Abdullah II of Jordan once had a non-speaking role on Star Trek: Voyager back when he was a prince; he's a massive Trekkie and when you're a prince, you can totally do stuff like that).

36 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Not a weirdo at all--you're just like me!!! One of my friends calls me for directions around my hometown often, to obscure places like a nice park or an out of the way store...even though I now live 500km away and have for nearly 10 years. So I'll be sitting here quickly sending off a text with exact directions, without even really thinking. 

In 2011 I got the opportunity to revisit the area in Virginia that I lived in for a very short time in the early '00s. My hubby was driving and took the wrong exit, and I guided us across town to the hotel, through parts of the city I rarely visited when I lived there, strictly from memory. And not just landmarks but like, street names, intersections, full on directions. The next morning I drove us to the tiny town I actually lived in, and when I say tiny I mean my street isn't even really on a map, entirely from memory. I hadn't been there in 11 years and wasn't a driver when I left. It was almost eerie. 

I've had people in different countries i was visiting (mistaking me for a local) stop and ask me for directions and i was able to give them correct directions, without a map. And this was before cell phones were less than large bricks.  Geometry? Failed it twice and somehow squeaked through on third attempt. 

I cannot read a map to save my life BUT I don't get lost in Louisiana.  California,  yes, Nevada, yes, New Mexico-not Silver City but everywhere else. Nebraska- I once got lost going back from Hastings to my dad's house in a little tiny town and had to call home in tears to find out how to get home. My kids aalso check  all major math for me-if I do it in my head, the answer is right 9 out of 10 times but ask me how I got the answer and I have no fracking clue.

30 minutes ago, DaniLouisiana said:

New Mexico-not Silver City

Do you know Silver City? I didn't think anyone had ever heard of it. My son went to college there, lives there and is getting married there in June.

My husband grandma lived in Bayard so Silver was our "escape" when Nanny got to be a little much. My favorite silver shop closed-The Kiva-last time we were through :'( 

Has your son been up to Pinos Altos? There is a fantastic restaurant in the old opera house there! As in we made a detour on the way back from LA to go there for dinner fantastic.

Interesting little town. We try to go over there every few months. I laugh and tell my son that that is where all the old hippies from California retired to. I love wandering the shops, art galleries and eating there. Have you ever been up to The Buckhorn Opera House and Restaurant in Pinos Altos? Amazing food.

We try to go to the Buckhorn every chance we get. Who would have thought that a restaurant like that would be tucked away in the middle of no where?

When we first drove to Silver to check out WNMU, driving up the hill from Lordsburg, I kept asking if Mr. Butt was sure there was a town there, let alone a college. But it worked out well, son went to college there, got his Masters in Education and now teaches at Silver High. He meant his fiancé and will probably live there forever. Luckily it is only a 4 hour drive or us to visit.

11 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Nothing with drinking tomato juice. It's the fact that he was drinking tomato sauce, not tomato juice.

And he was drinking it out of a can. It never crossed my mind to feed my child anything directly from a can at any age. Anything to avoid having a dish to wash, lazy ass.

Both my FIL and MIL got thier teaching degrees there. FIL wanted to move to California after MILs brothers moved to Los Angeles.  Husband spent summers there as a child but we didn't go there to visit til after Kiddo was born. Nanny wasn't able to travel anymore so we went to her. The kids and I had a great time catching horned toads in the backyard. 

Silver City has been good for my son. A good job, a nice home in the hills, a great girl and he really likes it there. So I am content with him living there. We sit on his porch and watch the deer come to feed in his yard.

WNMU is a good school. It offered in state tuition to AZ kids....bonus for us!

I came to love calculus eventually... It's helps to have a good teacher or at least a well-written textbook. There are also a lot of vids on yt explaining stuff, and my beloved Khan Academy -- it helps a lot! I think maths is pretty similar to languages - it has its own syntax, it requires a fair amount of intuition.  I really hate theoretical, very abstract maths - it is impossible for me to get into this level of abstract thinking, you know thinking in multiple dimensions, being able to proof theorems... I admire mathematicians and anyone that is able to do this!

45 minutes ago, nst said:

Looks Jeremy did sell out a bit for a honeymoon because in two weeks we see their honeymoon. 

I am completely shocked! *sarcasm*

21 hours ago, freedom_for_all said:

What's wrong with drinking tomato juice with a straw?

It was sauce. My bad everyone. I don't know how I ended up typing "juice"

I also somehow missed the scene of him drinking tomato sauce.  Both times.  it's my own fault.  I have a hard time concentrating on this show due to boredom and being pissed off at them.  Does anyone have a screen shot?

21 hours ago, Lurky said:

Speaking of spatial awareness issues... my partner just can't do it - jigsaws, translating maps to real life, working out the visual parts of an IQ test - nothing.  It's like dyslexia on spatial awareness.

But she didn't make things easier for herself...  when we lived in our old university town, not only was she the type to walk along listening to music, looking down, but she didn't get the hang of landmarks, either.  She'd pick things like "that shoe shop I like is the one with a huge neon SALE! banner in the window", and the best ever, when it turned out she was using a group of Fundy street preachers as her landmark, not realising they moved from spot to spot each week!  Once I taught her about fixed landmarks, things got a lot easier for her!

Im sending your partner huge hugs. I know just how she feels. If She and I went on a hike together we would end up on different planet, never mind just lost for days!!!!

I just remembered that the Westminster Dog Show is on TV tonight and tomorrow. Sorry (not sorry), Duggars -- dogs rank higher on my (and many other people's) must-see TV list than you do. :P

I watching last weeks episode and noticed when Jessa and Ben were in their kitchen discussing what they think their baby's sex will be that all the framed pictures and knick knacks that once adorned their kitchen counter tops by the cooktop were gone. 

35 minutes ago, pamplemousse said:

I just remembered that the Westminster Dog Show is on TV tonight and tomorrow. Sorry (not sorry), Duggars -- dogs rank higher on my (and many other people's) must-see TV list than you do. :P

What channel??? I don't see it on USA, where it's aired forever. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived