IGNORED

Counting On: Season 3, Part 3: Shifting Blame and Escape Rooms

choralcrusader8613

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

I think that Jeremy is trolling the Duggars at this point.   He seems to be snarking on them in a low key way, like talking slowly and simply.   His contempt for JimBob is thinly veiled.

My thoughts are that Ben brought him into the family circle to show that he has the skills to move in the world of  fundy preachers.   Maybe even as a possible mate for Jana, who is close to Jeremy in age with the benefit  of also getting Jana out of Jessa's way of being the boss of everyone.

Obviously, Jeremy and Jinger had crazy chemistry which was visible  No matter that Jeremy has said he loved her servants heart, etc.  there is a true tenderness in his dealing with her that seems to be more real than the other pairings.

And I think that Jeremy and Jinger have an understanding and secrets that will not  be accepted by the Duggar hive mind.  Maybe as small a step as sleeveless dresses and pants, maybe a class at the continuing education center in photography, maybe a discussion of a family size.   

I have to imagine that Jessa was looking out for Jinger and made JinJer happen when she met him. She essentially admitted as much and Jinger is her best friend. 

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@socalrules, I don't disagree with you.  I mean, I do see chemistry between them, but as you said,  we thought we saw it with Jill and Derick and it seems to have passed now.    This is why I said that Hope they can navigate past the honeymoon phase and if Jeremy has past experience with serious relationships in the past that gives him an advantage, hopefully. 

24 minutes ago, calimojo said:

@socalrules, I don't disagree with you.  I mean, I do see chemistry between them, but as you said,  we thought we saw it with Jill and Derick and it seems to have passed now.    This is why I said that Hope they can navigate past the honeymoon phase and if Jeremy has past experience with serious relationships in the past that gives him an advantage, hopefully. 

I see chemistry between Jeremy and Jinger but it's like first date chemistry. I think Jinger is very into Jeremy and I think Jeremy is very into the idea of the relationship but I don't know what that means in the long run. It's hard to tell. I hope it turns out better than Jill and Derick though. 

13 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

I would guess the online courses the Duggars are taking would be Abekka (sp) or something similar. 

Because the tiny little town in AR where we lived didn't "have the time or financial resources to provide a quality education" to a child like my son (such utter bullshit, I should have sued!) they pretty much forced me into homeschooling him. We used the K-12 online program, and I was amazed at the materials they sent me to help teach him. All the books, science materials, art supplies, musical instruments, plus online lesson plans and an interactive online "class" that met once a week with a licensed teacher to assess his progress. You also had to agree to travel to a state testing facility twice a year for 1st, 3rd, and 5th grades. I  highly doubt this is the program the Duggars use.  I could MAYBE see them forking over the money for Study Island, SucessMaker or Lexia though. 

The last we heard, they were using Switched on Schoolhouse, which is similar to ABeka, only with weaker content. This program was for 3rd grade and up. Not sure what they're using for the littles these days. Hopefully, they've moved on from the damn Wisdumb Booklets! 

5 hours ago, socalrules said:

I must be alone because I don't see this mad, passionate love or tenderness between Jinger and Jeremy everyone else does. I can't tell if I am just blind to it or if everyone sees it because they want it to be there. I feel like Jeremy gets the benefit of the doubt because he is better looking and Jinger was the pet Fundy of so many people.

Yes, this, I'm the same.  I guess I might be missing cultural cues and stuff, but all the "servant's heart", "meek" that Jeremy uses to describe Jinger,  rather than things FJers could say, doesn't scream tender or passionate to me.  I dunno, we could all pick 10 things about each girl to appreciate - even the anti-Jessas could find compliments, even the anti-Jills - and that were personal to them and not applicable to the next Fundy maiden that walks along.  It's just so disappointing that these guys don't seem to be able to rise above the generic.

5 hours ago, socalrules said:

I guess I find all these relationships a little suspect because the girls are raised to be madly in love with whatever man their dad thinks is the one for them. They aren't choosing their own spouse because they would never be allowed to even be in he same room with someone their parents find unacceptable, even if it is someone they truly like. Their options are limited to the men their parents put in front of them and then they rush to the altar without first knowing themselves or their partners.

The whole crazy-eyed-stare Jinger gives Jeremy doesn't scream mad-chemistry to me.  If anything, the crazy hand-sex of Anna and Josh was more authentic to me, as it reminded me of being a horny teenager.  But the girls have been brought up to think that there's only 1 way of being in love and around 3 ways of feeling about men in general: 

1.  OMG THE ONE!!! and if you've had even the slightest heart/vagina twinge, that's IT!

2. loving them as a brother-in-Christ, but of course, keeping them at arm's length

3. godless unbeliever who's a sinner and will burn in hell

A 3. can be converted into a 2., but that's it.  I hate it for them - I hate that there's no room for learning, like the majority of us do that, eg, we can be attracted to someone while knowing they'd be TERRIBLE as a partner; or loving a male friend unreservedly, but it's completely platonic; having a crush, but growing out of it, and so on, and so on

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:47 AM, 2manyKidzzz said:

I love that Jeremy (Baaabeee) said "shifting blame". So real. So non-Duggar. Loved it. 

I did too.  I thought it was really funny.  Clearly shocked Jinger who doesn't get that kind of humor at home.  It showed confidence on Jeremy's part.

I don't see chemistry  between any of the Duggar couples. Jessa and Ben probably come close to it, but when I look at Derick and Jill I see "dumb" and when I look at Jeremy and Jinger, I see "he thinks he owns her."

On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 2:22 AM, choralcrusader8613 said:

Awww, this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :tw_blush:

I cannot wait to see MrImNeverGettingMarriedandhavingKids deal with twins. Im sure they will nanny up but its a big jump. See where finding the right gal gets you George? HAHA! Im happier for them, their children will be highly intelligent, good looking and likely to make a positive impact on this world. Watch how its done Duggars!

On 11/02/2017 at 0:52 AM, BadMammaJana said:

You sound like me! I'm not diagnosed with anything, but I alwayshad trouble with math, like to the point where I failed every high school and beyond math class twice before I BARELY passed it. Do you mind sharing what the disorder is called? I may not have that disorder, but I always told my husband and friends that I feel like if there was a dyslexia of math, I feel like I have it. The numbers get too jumbled and I have to focus for a very long time on a problem, and ugh, it just sucked so bad, and made math class very humiliating for me. 

13 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I would like to know what the learning disorder about not being able to do math is called as well. I probably have it.

I cannot for the life of me understand math. I was always terrible at it, and I swear the only reason I passed math classes were because my math teachers were always my coaches and they can't fail you if they want you to play. 

Just incase this hasn't been answered (I haven't read the entire thread yet) 

dyslexia in maths is called dyscalculia. I have it but wasn't diagnosed until I learned about it in university and then had a lightbulb moment and got myself tested for it 

On 11 February 2017 at 1:32 AM, singsingsing said:

I have Nonverbal Learning Disability (official diagnosis is 'specific learning disability with impairment in mathematics'). Usually people with NVLD will have major issues with mathematics, visual-spacial reasoning, social skills, and some issues with gross and fine motor skills. Everyone's unique, so people are more or less affected in different areas - I dodged the social skills deficit bullet, but got hit with pretty much everything else.

Dyscalculia is basically the math equivalent of dyslexia. I think most people with NVLD will have dyscalculia, but I also think you can have dyscalculia without having NVLD. Really, there's a ton of grey area. It's all about executive functioning deficits, and you just look at various signs and symptoms and then try to apply a helpful label. With dyscalculia, beyond being bad at math, I have no sense of time or direction, poor spacial awareness, I have trouble reading a clock, telling left from right and remembering names and faces, among other things.

And then of course some people just suck at math, no learning disorder necessary, haha. Some people also have really intense math anxiety, so they might have been fine at math but because of the anxiety they freeze up and can't do it. 

I have dyscalculia. The headmaster at my sons primary school did the tests after I attended a school maths evening for parents and failed all the example questions for primary three and upwards!! I also have no sense of direction or any mental maps of places, even after visiting on a few occasions. I used to get lost a lot! I have learnt over the years to look for landmarks to help get me back to were I'm supposed to be. I also have to turn a map upside down to be able to follow it. It was a relief to get a diagnosis eventually. At least I'm not just plain thick!!

My son went to a school for kids with learning disablities.   Kids with dyslexia had a full program geared to them , kids with dysgraphia (inability to write) and dyscalculia were not so lucky.  

Hmm, I had heard of dyscalculia and always wondered if I had it, but I suppose not. I am incredibly bad at math, I had to stop taking it after grade 10 (back when you could still do that, not sure what I'd do nowadays) because it was just dragging my average down so badly. I was getting 80s and 90s in everything else, and about 30% in math. I eventually managed to climb up over 50% just to pass, but it was hard. 

But, I have a legendarily great sense of direction, like I literally can't get lost even if I've never been to a place or haven't been there in a decade, I am good with spatial awareness and all of that, and I rarely forget a face. 

All that to say...I guess I just plain suck at math. Lol! Calculators are the greatest invention ever. 

10 minutes ago, Jiraffe said:

Hmm, I had heard of dyscalculia and always wondered if I had it, but I suppose not. I am incredibly bad at math, I had to stop taking it after grade 10 (back when you could still do that, not sure what I'd do nowadays) because it was just dragging my average down so badly. I was getting 80s and 90s in everything else, and about 30% in math. I eventually managed to climb up over 50% just to pass, but it was hard. 

But, I have a legendarily great sense of direction, like I literally can't get lost even if I've never been to a place or haven't been there in a decade, I am good with spatial awareness and all of that, and I rarely forget a face. 

All that to say...I guess I just plain suck at math. Lol! Calculators are the greatest invention ever. 

All of this. It took everything I had  (calculator and a formula cheat sheet that was allowed during tests and the final...it was an accelerated class) to get an A in statistics in college. My problem has always been number switching and loading the claculator with 86 instead of 68 in the middle of a calculation. I knew how to plug in formulas; I just misread numbers. My profs were kind with those mistakes. I usually got partial credit when I worked the formulas correctly. 

Once I passed stats, I was DONE with math. Good riddance! 

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

All of this. It took everything I had  (calculator and a formula cheat sheet that was allowed during tests and the final...it was an accelerated class) to get an A in statistics in college. My problem has always been number switching and loading the claculator with 86 instead of 68 in the middle of a calculation. I knew how to plug in formulas; I just misread numbers. My profs were kind with those mistakes. I usually got partial credit when I worked the formulas correctly. 

Once I passed stats, I was DONE with math. Good riddance! 

It's a good thing that I could write super tiny because I needed it for my cheat sheets for finals. I took stats too, and I started off really strong since the beginning was basically vocabulary, and once the equations started rolling in, I took a nosedive. I can understand how to plug in, but only for that specific example. Once you switch it up and I have to figure out some other part, then I'm screwed because I can't figure out how to do it. I would need an example for each possible configuration of a problem. My prof would have study groups and I would attend, in addition to going to on site tutoring at school, but, I still BARELY passed the class. Even then, I think my prof threw me a bone because he saw that I was trying my hardest, but, still had a lot of trouble understanding the info.

I just saw a screenshot of Jill letting Izzy drink tomato sauce out of a can with a straw.

Shit, Tyrone. GET IT TOGETHER!

Oh, math. My eternal enemy. I can write super-tiny as well, and even with an entire cheat sheet, extensive notes, and an extra hour, I still barely passed my math finals. I can't find my way out of a paper bag, either. Maybe I have some kind of disability. Maybe I'm just terrible at math and directions. Either way, my teachers always told me I wouldn't always have a calculator or a map in my pocket- I'm glad they were wrong :P

Didn't we talk about Izzy drinking tomato juice/sauce out of the can before? It was a different episode, or maybe an instagram post. Maybe the kid has a tomato fixation. Kids are so weird about food. Still, cans have sharp edges, so even if he is eating straight-up tomato sauce, he should have it in a cup or something. At least we know he won't get scurvy?

I just saw a screenshot of Jill letting Izzy drink tomato sauce out of a can with a straw.
Shit, Tyrone. GET IT TOGETHER!

What's wrong with drinking tomato juice with a straw?

2 minutes ago, freedom_for_all said:

Nothing with drinking tomato juice. It's the fact that he was drinking tomato sauce, not tomato juice.

and he was drinking it straight from the can.  I guess there is nothing technically wrong with this,  it is just an odd thing.  Most of us probably don't drink or eat straight from a can unless we are camping etc.  So while it probably isn't a wrong thing it just seems like an odd thing or an odd way to feed a toddler.

Nothing with drinking tomato juice. It's the fact that he was drinking tomato sauce, not tomato juice.

Oh man that is gross!

1 hour ago, freedom_for_all said:

I was going to ask the same. I drink juice (V8 Spicy, OMG- so good) from a can. It even has a pull tab and is sold in six packs and eight packs, depending upon size. Tomato sauce is a better choice than some of the stuff people give babies, I guess. Anyone know what's in tomato sauce, besides tomatoes? Herbs, maybe?

19 minutes ago, Lizzybet said:

I was going to ask the same. I drink juice (V8 Spicy, OMG- so good) from a can. It even has a pull tab and is sold in six packs and eight packs, depending upon size. Tomato sauce is a better choice than some of the stuff people give babies, I guess. Anyone know what's in tomato sauce, besides tomatoes? Herbs, maybe?

At least for me, tomato sauce would be way too chunky for me to drink. I also can't stand orange juice with any pulp in it, though.

Speaking of spatial awareness issues... my partner just can't do it - jigsaws, translating maps to real life, working out the visual parts of an IQ test - nothing.  It's like dyslexia on spatial awareness.

But she didn't make things easier for herself...  when we lived in our old university town, not only was she the type to walk along listening to music, looking down, but she didn't get the hang of landmarks, either.  She'd pick things like "that shoe shop I like is the one with a huge neon SALE! banner in the window", and the best ever, when it turned out she was using a group of Fundy street preachers as her landmark, not realising they moved from spot to spot each week!  Once I taught her about fixed landmarks, things got a lot easier for her!

2 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

I somehow missed this scene, and I thought through this whole thread that some were complaining about Iz drinking tomato JUICE from one of those little single serving cans with a foil pull tab.  I went back and looked, and it was indeed SAUCE with the lid removed fully removed with a can opener.  Yikes!  I could see diluting the sauce with some water and putting it in a sippy cup, but this is just bizarre and dangerous!  Muffin and Hippy even had a conversation about it ... no doubt spurred on by a producer asking WTF Iz was drinking!  

17 hours ago, Jiraffe said:

I'm also incredibly lopsided. I could net 100% averages in my language classes and also do very well in history and literature (though I had issues with getting homework done...so I did struggle a lot with that), but I just could not get math at all, and by extension, math-heavier science disciplines. It's weird, because I'm really good at learning languages and I generally have a decent sense of direction and spatial awareness, but I just can't get my head around math. I am good at mental math, though.

It's really frustrating to be lopsided in your academic skills. It turns into a weird vicious cycle where you hear all the time "oh, you're so smart", so when you just can't get something, you automatically think "I'm stupid and I'll never be good at this because I'm supposed to just naturally get everything because that's what smart people do", and then you just have this self-fulfilling prophecy: "I'm stupid because I don't get this, and I'll never get it because I'm stupid." It took me years to overcome this mentality; now I'm trying to find more time to learn some economics and brush up my algebra skills, since now I feel more confident and I don't have all the pressure I felt in school.

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived